Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2019, 14:09   #1
BHPian

Global NCAP: India-made Maruti Ignis & Honda Amaze crash tested

Quote:
Global NCAP and the Automobile Association of South Africa launch the third round of #SaferCarsForAfrica crash test results today with the welcome support of the FIA Foundation and Bloomberg Philanthropies. The three models tested show reasonable safety performance for adult occupants but disappointing results for child occupant protection.
NOTE: The Amaze and Ignis are made in India and exported to SA.

Global NCAP: India-made Maruti Ignis & Honda Amaze crash tested-safercarsforafrica2019web.jpg

Suzuki Ignis
Global NCAP: India-made Maruti Ignis & Honda Amaze crash tested-ignis.jpg
Quote:
The Ignis achieved three stars for Adult Occupant Protection in the frontal crash test at 64km/h. The vehicle structure was rated as unstable and offered weak chest protection for the driver.

Comparing this car with the same model for Europe, while the South African Ignis has two airbags and ABS as standard, the European version of the car offers as standard: 6 airbags and Electronic Stability Control.

Honda Amaze
Global NCAP: India-made Maruti Ignis & Honda Amaze crash tested-amaze.jpg
Quote:
The Honda Amaze achieved a solid four stars for Adult Occupant Protection in the frontal crash test at 64km/h. The vehicle structure was rated as stable as well as the footwell area. The car offers seatbelt pretensioners for both front passengers and seatbelt reminder for the driver.

The child dummies contacted the interior of the car, showing evidence of head exposure and the probability of injury.
Toyota Avanza
Global NCAP: India-made Maruti Ignis & Honda Amaze crash tested-avanza.jpg
Quote:
The Avanza just managed to achieve four stars for Adult Occupant Protection despite the structure and footwell area rated as unstable. The restraint systems in the car worked properly which, together with the two Seat Belt Reminders (SBR), for driver and passenger, just met the requirements to achieve a four star safety rating for the adults.
Link: http://www.globalncap.org/four-star-...frica-results/

Last edited by Aaron:) : 29th May 2019 at 14:16.
Aaron:) is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 14:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Global NCAP: Maruti Ignis, Honda Amaze & Toyota Avanza crash-tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
NOTE: The Amaze and Ignis are made in India and exported to SA.
Thanks for sharing this info. Good to see HONDA Amaze structure rated 'stable'. A lot has been said about honda quality going down over the years and I agree with that, however good to see atleast they haven't sacrificed the basic safety structure.

Sad to see Ignis rated unstable, but not really surprising. Its been the case with most marutis lately except Brezza. Is the Ignis based on HEARTECT platform as well like Baleno/Swift?

It says they are made-in-india , but are they the same ones sold-in-india? IIRC even the perceived well-built i20 as well failed this crash test. Link (Made-in-India Hyundai i20 scores 3 stars in NCAP test (South African market))

Last edited by SoumenD : 29th May 2019 at 14:47.
SoumenD is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 14:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
It says they are made-in-india , but are they the same ones sold-in-india?
Precisely why this means nothing to Indian consumers.

A lot of Euro-spec & Australia-spec cars are manufactured in India and there's no reason for them to make the same spec available in India when they can save money by giving us tin cans.
fine69 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 14:55   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
. Is the Ignis based on HEARTECT platform as well like Baleno/Swift?

It says they are made-in-india , but are they the same ones sold-in-india?
I checked the Ignis brochure from the official Suzuki website of South Africa from here. It says the kerb weight as 850-860 kgs where as the Maruti Ignis has the kerb weight of 825 to 870 kgs.

Ignis sold in South Africa has the same 1197 cc K12M engine as we get with manual as well as AMT gearbox. Tyre specs also look same.
No idea why the difference in body weights.
Hope someone can enlighten.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 29th May 2019 at 15:05.
Sherlocked is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 17:15   #5
BHPian

2 manufacturers, 2 crash tests, 2 different results

Honda Amaze scores a 4 Star in Global NCAP crash test with the body shell reported to be stable

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/honda-ama...h-test-2044804

While Maruti Ignis gets only a 3 Star with the body shell reported to be unstable as well

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/suzuki-ig...h-test-2044852

Wasn't the updated Ignis supposed to have an improvement on safety as well? Looks like nothing of it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th May 2019 at 08:10. Reason: Grammar.
gopalnt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 18:09   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2 manufacturers, 2 crash tests, 2 different results

I must say, am completely confused here. Is 'India-made' the same as the India-specific model? That is are we Indian consumers able to purchase the tested/rated model? Been reading various articles and reports and there is nothing really clear. It seems to me like Maruti and other manufacturers makes models for the international market that are better engineered than what they sell here. Is that correct?
Old 29th May 2019, 18:25   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Even Renault exports its Kwid from its plant near Chennai, India with more safety features to Brazil, but due to safety loopholes , sells an unsafe version of this car, which the public has gladly accepted.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...airbags-2.html (Brazil-spec Renault Kwid to get ABS, 4 airbags)

Maruti has never been a paragon for safe cars as far as the India market is concerned. The Swift has been selling with a four star safety rating in the U.K. and other Western markets, but we all know how safe the Swift/ DZire are here in India.

The only ray of hope is the compulsory NCAP safety ratings due to be enforced as the Bharat New Vehicle Safety Assessment Program (BNVSAP)come into force w.e.f. 1.10.2019. Existing car models will get a one year's grace period till 1.10.2020 to changeover with newer safety features. This is expected to usher in a good degree of uniformity in the safety ratings of each car model to be assessed by the buyers and regulators.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 29th May 2019 at 18:28.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 18:49   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
---
Wasn't the updated Ignis supposed to have an improvement on safety as well? Looks like nothing of it.
Where did you get this info on safety improvements?

When Ignis was Euro NCAP tested too it ( standard ) had similar results.

Global NCAP: India-made Maruti Ignis & Honda Amaze crash tested-0.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th May 2019 at 08:10. Reason: Quoted post edited.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 06:00   #9
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this.
On Ignis, results aren't unexpected as other cars on this platform have fared similarly. I think other than rating one needs to look at areas of concern in the crash test finding including body shell strength.
Avanza, I have travelled in this while I was in Dubai and it did appear lighter than other Toyota MUVs. It's interesting to see 4 star rating in spite of body shell being rated as unstable and reinstates my point that we need to look at the crash test areas rather than just rating.
Amaze - 4 stars and it held it's ground pretty good in the crash test. When I drove a test drive vehicle here in Bangalore it appeared light weight but there was a good sense of stability in the car under sane speeds. If you search for the video and see it in detail is shows areas where this car has weak points but overall I think this is one of the safer cars in 4 meter bracket.
Old 30th May 2019, 06:57   #10
MSC
BHPian

Misbranding is common in India. Remember how Hyundai kept plastering it's older generation i20 as being high safety vehicle whereas in reality, the high rated vehicle was only an export version.
Made in India is something which is made in India but may or may not be intended for sale in India.
Made for India is something which is intended for sale in India. It may or may not be export version.
MSC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 07:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Even
The only ray of hope is the compulsory NCAP safety ratings due to be enforced as the Bharat New Vehicle Safety Assessment Program (BNVSAP)come into force w.e.f. 1.10.2019. Existing car models will get a one year's grace period till 1.10.2020 to changeover with newer safety features. This is expected to usher in a good degree of uniformity in the safety ratings of each car model to be assessed by the buyers and regulators.
I don't really think that would change maruti's business practices a bit. They said that the swift is completely ready for the bnvsap crash test, after which it failed miserably in the global ncap test. Nothing in the Suzuki factory goes underneath their noses without them knowing, they perfectly knew the safety level of their car and still said it's ready for BNVSAP.

If that's what's called being ready for BNVSAP, then I'm scared about the standards of the test.
SaiSW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 09:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I checked the Ignis brochure from the official Suzuki website of South Africa from here. It says the kerb weight as 850-860 kgs where as the Maruti Ignis has the kerb weight of 825 to 870 kgs.

Ignis sold in South Africa has the same 1197 cc K12M engine as we get with manual as well as AMT gearbox. Tyre specs also look same.
No idea why the difference in body weights.
Hope someone can enlighten.
As per my knowledge (Insider info -- Not from Maruti and Honda, but two other manufactures, and they are also two of the highest exporter from India )every manufacturer has a separate assembly line for exports. At least for those two manufactures, even the metal sheet is different for exports. With this logic, this data can be inferred.
anumod is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 09:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Why can't we make the international safety benchmarks as standards for India. What exactly is the need of reinventing the wheel with a fresh approach and an absolutely new standard for one of the largest car markets in the world?

Where is the catch? Politics / manufacturers lobby / cartel? Why these issues need a discussion in 2019 - have we still not come out of the age of living with sub-standard vehicles even after paying so much of indirect taxes for owning a car?

I have a classmate who works for Maruti and had a Kizashi. After parting ways with that car last year he purchased a Vento TSI ! That's shows his confidence in MSIL.

Last edited by i74js : 30th May 2019 at 09:49.
i74js is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 10:10   #14
VVN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Why can't we make the international safety benchmarks as standards for India. What exactly is the need of reinventing the wheel with a fresh approach and an absolutely new standard for one of the largest car markets in the world?

I have a classmate who works for Maruti and had a Kizashi. After parting ways with that car last year he purchased a Vento TSI ! That's shows his confidence in MSIL.
Overnight development or overnight introduction of stringent laws / regulations does not work in India. It has to be drip fed. I may be wrong here but I am sure Maruti knows about the standards of our upcoming crash test and hence termed the Swift as being crash test ready. One test drive was enough to convince me to stay away from that car. The likes of Maruti will continue to manufacture and sell unsafe cars till the time fuel economy is placed above safety. I see a lot of friends going for cars that offer features and are economical rather than 'settling' for a car from another brand that provides additional air bags. That change in mindset is going to take time and fortunately the likes of Tata and Mahindra have started it.

Last edited by VVN : 30th May 2019 at 10:22.
VVN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 10:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Global NCAP #SaferCarsForAfrica - Ignis, Amaze, Avanza tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Precisely why this means nothing to Indian consumers.

A lot of Euro-spec & Australia-spec cars are manufactured in India and there's no reason for them to make the same spec available in India when they can save money by giving us tin cans.
Well if it was euro/ANCAP I wouldn't have bothered to ask that question. But South Africa? I wonder if they have such strict regulations like western nations? If not, I don't see any reason for these manufacturers to treat them any better than us & hence, probably the same car is sold here as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
It seems to me like Maruti and other manufacturers makes models for the international market that are better engineered than what they sell here. Is that correct?
Yes, but not out of any empathy for those citizens. Rather the regulations in such nations are pretty strict preventing these manufacturers from selling tin-cans unlike India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The only ray of hope is the compulsory NCAP safety ratings due to be enforced as the Bharat New Vehicle Safety Assessment Program (BNVSAP)come into force w.e.f. 1.10.2019.
Don't be too sure mate. If you notice, Maruti is pretty confident about its current Swift/Dzire being compliant with upcoming Indian crash norms & they usually are the ones who have all the insider information. So if these are safe as per upcoming norms, I don't think anything will change in their lineup.

P.S: While buying the Jazz last month, I did check the Amaze as well and the overall build quality felt inferior in the latter. But if that has a stable rated structure, guess the Jazz can only be better.

Last edited by SoumenD : 30th May 2019 at 10:44.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks