Team-BHP > Road Safety


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2019, 10:34   #16
BHPian
 
rahulskumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: TVM/MUM
Posts: 315
Thanked: 515 Times
Default re: Crash video: Santro t-bones an Endeavour, causing it to topple

Check the video carefully, initially the fellow in Endevour did not even had the intention to take a right turn. The decision was made in the last minute. Check the attached image. Moreover Santro is in the second lane and I think even if we had noticed Endevour, we would have not expected it to take a sharp right.

We need to educate the so called "literate" people with more and more similar videos to avoid careless crashes on highways. Its always "STOP and PROCEED" and nowadays I hardly see anyone following this rule
Attached Images
 
rahulskumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 10:36   #17
Newbie
 
$tar_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Detroit of IND
Posts: 21
Thanked: 38 Times
Default re: Crash video: Santro t-bones an Endeavour, causing it to topple

That is scary and I hope the occupants of both the cars are safe. The Santro took the damage like a champ I would say, going by the impact he must have been doing atleast 80kmph before he braked hard. This accident makes me remember the BBC Robot War videos wherein the small bot topples the big one.
$tar_boy is offline  
Old 25th June 2019, 10:37   #18
BHPian
 
NiInJa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 818
Thanked: 2,099 Times
Default re: Crash video: Santro t-bones an Endeavour, causing it to topple

Top heavy vehicles are always more susceptible to rollovers, but if we observe closely, the right side rear wheel got 'dug' in the wheel well, with no place to move and slide, it sort of became the pivot to roll the vehicle over, just like pole vault. Good to see the Santro holding herself well.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 10:49   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Crash video: Santro t-bones an Endeavour, causing it to topple

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
In the video, a Hyundai Santro can be seen toppling an Endeavour. The reason given is that the speed of Santro disturbed the Centre of Gravity of the Endeavour thus making the Endeavour to lose balance. But this still shows that having a bigger sized car can only give a false sense of security.
The impact was on the rear left side of the Endeavour, which caused it to both spin and lift. That was the primary reason for the topple.

What amazes me though is that the Endeavour was on a highway and turning without checking the oncoming traffic and indicating. I'm sure his view was obscured by the heavy truck up ahead, all the more reason to slow down and check the traffic up ahead.

Last edited by ampere : 25th June 2019 at 11:27. Reason: Removed video link from quoted post
Kshitij Rawat is offline  
Old 25th June 2019, 11:19   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
kiku007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: AU
Posts: 2,096
Thanked: 4,345 Times
Default re: Crash video: Santro t-bones an Endeavour, causing it to topple

Crash video: Santro topples an Endeavour!

What is this? TBHP or TimesOfIndia.

A factually correct title that gathers lot of clicks but then I hope people aren't dumb enough to take it at face value.

Santro owners: Don't try this at home
kiku007 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 11:42   #21
BHPian
 
Thermodynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 776
Thanked: 3,787 Times
Default re: Crash video: Santro t-bones an Endeavour, causing it to topple

Unfortunate incident, I wish people are safe and no one is hurt especially the one on passenger side of Santro.

The incident emphasizes importance of seat belts and iso-fix child seats. No matter how slow or how big your vehicle is, you will be swung around unless protected by seat belt.

In this case, clearly the Endeavour driver is at fault. But we should also emphasize importance of shoulders in road design. Unfortunately, most of U-turn points and cross exchanges in our country do not have adequate shoulder space to help the turning vehicle take a pause, read traffic and turn.

On a lighter note: Big or small doesn't matter

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 25th June 2019 at 11:55.
Thermodynamics is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 12:43   #22
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 4,368
Thanked: 2,228 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default re: Crash video: Santro t-bones an Endeavour, causing it to topple

I think the Santro hit the rear side on a tangential angle. That is why Santro didn't suffer much damage. Endeavour looks like a ball rolling over. But really surprising how the moving around of the SUV made it topple upside down. If you are driving and were to brush a rock or mountain side, this is what would happen. Guess they cant be used to nudge other vehicles also like the cops do

Last edited by srishiva : 25th June 2019 at 12:44.
srishiva is offline  
Old 25th June 2019, 13:10   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 67
Thanked: 116 Times
Default re: Crash video: Santro t-bones an Endeavour, causing it to topple

Classic "T-bone collision" or right-angle collision. Sad could lead to severe back and neck injuries for the Endeavour passengers. Typically seen at intersections and that has happened here .

Endeavour guy definitely ignored or misjudged the Santro guy coming at speed.
High centre of gravity also may have caused the topple .Both guys had head lights on.

Good to at least see the Santro guy come out of the car dazed, but OK ,because he opened the door and came out.
ToothyPetrohead is offline  
Old 25th June 2019, 14:01   #24
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 13,332
Thanked: 9,499 Times
Default re: Crash video: Santro t-bones an Endeavour, causing it to topple

Looks more like impact (speed) and point of impact on the Endy. Check 0:26 of the video - the left side of the Endeavour looks fine even up to rear-wheel. So the impact should have happened behind the rear wheel. The impact at this point of the Endeavour - and with the speed that the Santro came with would have caused the Endeavour to lift up and topple.

The impact point being at the rear would also explain the seemingly lesser damage to the Santro.

The other point in support of this is that the damage to the Santro is on the left half of it's bonnet. Again adding to the point that the Santro hit the Endeavour behind the Endeavour's rear left wheel - and hence 'throwing' the Ford up.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th June 2019 at 08:45. Reason: As requested
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 14:14   #25
Team-BHP Support
 
Chetan_Rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,848
Thanked: 12,792 Times
Default re: Crash video: Santro t-bones an Endeavour, causing it to topple

Rollover aside, horrible highway driving from both drivers, on what appears to be a clear stretch of road with unhindered visibility (no shrubs or high dividers).

The Endeavor makes a U-turn without stopping like he's strolling in a park, and the Santro guy is driving through an intersection (at least a visible break in median with crossing traffic) without apparently slowing down.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th June 2019 at 14:17.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 14:22   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,427
Thanked: 1,176 Times
Default re: Crash video: Santro t-bones an Endeavour, causing it to topple

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
This is a freak replication of a well trained pit maneuver.
The pit maneuver is never done at a right angle. It is done by bringing the chasing car along side the car being chased and trying to push out the rear wheels and cause the other car to spin around.
vikram_d is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 14:35   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,537
Thanked: 1,179 Times
Default re: Crash video: Santro t-bones an Endeavour, causing it to topple

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
But this still shows that having a bigger sized car can only give a false sense of security.
An SUV is always more likely to roll over in case of tyre bursts or excessive steering maneuvers compared to a sedan or hatchback. However, the general notion of public is that bigger the car, safer it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Could be his overconfidence, assuming everyone would take corrective measures, for his "big" car
Most likely that was it. Ask me, I bought a Fortuner 2 years back and did enjoy my share of bullying other vehicles on the road. Where I would stop in my Swift, I just continued in my Fortuner.

That didn't last too long because I knew deep down I was being an idiot so mended my ways. At times I'm reminded of the vehicle I'm driving because even when the other person has right of way they just stop seeing me simply because in their experience bigger SUVs aren't respectful of other commuters.

SUVs continue to bully vehicles on the road and a lot of times they venture out from intersections or arterial roads without bothering to check for other vehicles because they do assume that the world is going to stop to give way to their "big car".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Its simple physics.
Higher center of gravity = Less stable
Lower Center of gravity = More stable

The Swift Dzire accelerated at the right moment to avoid getting hit by the Santro!
Honestly its as simple as what you said, don't understand what the fuss is all about.

That Dzire's swift response though (pun intended).
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 17:29   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 108
Thanked: 252 Times
Default re: Crash video: Santro t-bones an Endeavour, causing it to topple

Various factors at play here to cause the Endeavour to roll over and nothing seems out of the ordinary here.
The Santro hit the Endy near the rear which is presumably less heavier than the front (because of the engine being present at the front). Hence it transferred more momentum to the Endeavour causing it to swivel around the front.
This combined with the high C0G of the Endeavour and the tyre digging in caused the roll-over.
If the santro had hit the endy towards the front, the chances of roll-over might have been less (and the santro would've suffered more damage!)
arijitkanrar is offline  
Old 25th June 2019, 18:42   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Axe77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,531
Thanked: 4,747 Times
Default re: Crash video: Santro t-bones an Endeavour, causing it to topple

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
But this still shows that having a bigger sized car can only give a false sense of security.
I disagree. A big car doesn't make you immortal but a big car can be safer generally speaking. Simple fact is if the exact same accident were to happen with with the Endy and Santro swapping places, then what.

What happened here was an outcome of point & angle of contact of the way in which the Santro hit the side tail end of the bigger car coming in at speed. The outcome is not surprising given what happened.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 22:45   #30
BHPian
 
procrastinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pune/Chandigarh
Posts: 265
Thanked: 424 Times
Default re: Crash video: Santro t-bones an Endeavour, causing it to topple

I hope Endy occupants are fine.

I expected something unusual in video to happen.
This is obvious as many have described the way crash happened.

BTW,
The thread title is catchy. Perhaps something like those ridiculous news articles and TV shows

Last edited by procrastinator : 25th June 2019 at 22:50.
procrastinator is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks