Team-BHP - Telangana introduces LED signals on the road
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Telangana introduces LED signals on the road (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/210772-telangana-introduces-led-signals-road-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 4615656)
Agree with you, but still, another innovative channel for corruption; probably billed each LED strip for astronomical 1 Lakh each!!

After 6 months, this project will be made successful & all over TS, the LED will be procured & adjusted for inflation as well!!

Agreed. Believe it or not! I think there groups of people who keep working on ideas like these that tend to fool people to be innovative but in reality is a big scam to steal tax payers money in a organized way.

Maybe since I am in Hyderabad I have a personal bias, but I think I would give these lights the benefit of doubt. I have not driven past this junction as yet, so cannot say how effective it's visibility would be in day time or even night time traffic. I think the idea is interesting and need not be looked as a scam making scheme. That said, I think there should be additional rows of lights extending maybe 5 ft back so as to help vehicles approaching to see the light colour.
Btw, if I am not mistaken, the traffic signal is not just this road lights. The standard pole lights are working as normal, as per the video. So this is not a pole light replacement, but a support or enhancement feature.

My point is whether LED strip or white line or any other means, there're only 2 ways people can adhere to the law
1. Self discipline
2. Ultra strong enforcement

Unless these 2 are prevailing, people will find innovative ways to evade

Remember, the LED strips are only alighting traffic but it is ultimately the decision in the traffic of every individual to adhere to the law

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveen.raju (Post 4615277)
Here's another implementation which would be even better. Hope this is atleast introduced in accident prone junctions/signals if not at all junctions.

Image Source - Google Images

Here's one I have personally been to. Chernigov in Ukraine. Picked up the video from YouTube though. I feel this implementation is the best one I have seen thus far.

https://youtu.be/zGlVk5Nj8n0

No matter how hard the authorities make efforts to enforce the laws, nothing will be completely fool proof till the time we citizen do not come forward and follow the rules ourselves. In 95% of the cases, the red lights are clearly visible and yet, we decide to jump it. Almost all of us do this.

There will be people who will ignore such initiatives and will still jump the traffic signals. According to me, till the time heavy fines are not introduced, I don't think it will be easy to stop people from jumping the signals or breaking other laws. Very high penalty along with DL being suspended or impounding the vehicle for XX no. of days maybe some punishments which may stop people from breaking laws because its difficult to make them understand and only harsh penalties will force them to follow the rules.

Kerala has also started piloting the same. The LED strip has been installed in Trivandrum as well. Looks like this is a national project?

I don't see how this solves the problem of people jumping signals ( if that is what this was trying to solve ). The problem is how you ensure people don't skip signals or block the zebra crossing - This does neither of that. People jumped signals not because the signal wasn't visible but simply because there is no harm in doing that !
IMHO a better investment would have been to fix cameras which can automate booking traffic offences like jumping signals and wrong side driving. I have seen this in
Hyderabad 5 years back but here in Chennai it was only been piloted now

In Bengaluru, we had the blinking lane markers since 20 years ago. They were useful in curves etc. Dont see them being used much although I see them on road humps etc.

They would be helpful on concrete medians and static reflectors are used but not in all places. I think these things are done without thinking and are not carried forward. Would be good to see the companies that provide these and any connections to them.

Traffic signal lights themselves are not put so that people behind can see them. They are covered with tree branches. I think we need to bring common sense into traffic management before we waste money.

Quote:

They would be helpful on concrete medians and static reflectors are used but not in all places. I think these things are done without thinking and are not carried forward. Would be good to see the companies that provide these and any connections to them.

Traffic signal lights themselves are not put so that people behind can see them. They are covered with tree branches. I think we need to bring common sense into traffic management before we waste money.
Exactly my thoughts! Just out of curiosity, who advises the Government before spending big bucks on projects like this ? The traffic department ? the bureaucrats or the Suppliers of these who give flashy sales pitches and win contracts ??I doubt it's the third one in this case.
High time the policy makers consult experts of the particular domain/ industry from the private space for policies/ decision making

Guess it's more in the direction of doing something different and state of art, without evaluating benefit returns, and possibly influenced by the business class. With something like traffic control implementation, it's extremely easy to pass on the blame of failure to citizens as well. So not many would be complaining at the end.

Personally, I still find the simple implementation in USA quite effective. They hang from a good height and is visible to all from a good distance as well. Most importantly, such an implementation has ample space for guidance plates for lanes as well. If a change is needed in infra, authorities could look for one like that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kutts (Post 4620398)
Kerala has also started piloting the same. The LED strip has been installed in Trivandrum as well. Looks like this is a national project?

This was implemented on Friday at Trivandrum and by Sunday evening, most of the LED at the middle of the roads were non functional. While the load capacity of these LED strips are told to be 8 tonnes, I think the heavy vehicles can make damage to the LED strip.
will have to wait and see till when the rest of the LED's will hold. Probably another week considering the speed at the sides are less

I have seen this in Marina Beach, Chennai last month.
A quick search on my news feed led to a TOI news article of June 10 2019 which says : Don’t be surprised if you see LEDs blinking at traffic stop lines. To alert motorists and prevent accidents, the Chennai Traffic Police have installed the new lights that flicker in three different colours — red, white and blue — at two locations on Kamarajar Salai along the Marina, to start with.

Telangana introduces LED signals on the road-69718246.jpg

The led strip at KBR Park jn lasted only for a few days. I have not seen it operating over the past week to 10 days. Today i even spotted the strips were ripped at several places.

So it looks like a failed experiment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by handsofsteel (Post 4616446)
Here's one I have personally been to. Chernigov in Ukraine. Picked up the video from YouTube though. I feel this implementation is the best one I have seen thus far.

https://youtu.be/zGlVk5Nj8n0

This looks interesting. I wonder what would be the cost of this system (sans the timer maybe). And is it equally visible in all light conditions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by samyakmodi (Post 4625038)
This looks interesting. I wonder what would be the cost of this system (sans the timer maybe). And is it equally visible in all light conditions?

Yes, it is very clearly visible even at night. This had, in fact, become a tourist attraction of sorts for a few weeks after installation.