Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do the 80 / 120 km/h speed alerts dissuade you from driving at higher speeds?
Yes 171 54.81%
No 141 45.19%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2019, 01:52   #46
BANNED

Re: Do the 80 / 120 kmph speed alerts dissuade you from driving at higher speeds?

Nice tech, many would benefit from this at least in Kerala and I speak from experience.

During my tenure at Kochi I'd drive/ride home which is a good 150~210km's depending on chosen route which again depends on the time of travel and speed tickets were a common occurrence then, as the drive was mostly at night or early in the morning my complete focus would be on the road and wouldn't even know I was caught until the ticket came by mail.

I do not recall ever speeding on purpose especially since the fines were 400~500/- per ticket, once I was unfortunate to get fined for every vehicle I rode/drove during the month, even my Scooter wasn't spared.

The issue I see at least in my case is that when alternating between different vehicles our perception of speed changes and it is quite possible to go over the speed limit without even being aware of the same.

P.S.

I recall that I used to use an app on my then Nokia phone which ran on Windows Mobile, do not recall the app but it would beep when I surpassed the speed limit of the area in question, this automatically changed with respect to area I was driving/riding in, as I recall it beeping at 50kmph and 80kmph at different instances.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 12th July 2019 at 01:56.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 07:33   #47
BHPian

Re: Do the 80 / 120 kmph speed alerts dissuade you from driving at higher speeds?

It's a good move, but I would implement it slightly differently:

1. Commercial vehicles (should anyway be speed governed at 80 but is overridden by drivers): 80 & 100 for single and continued beeps

2. Private vehicles: 100 & 120 for single and continued beeps

Hope this can be installed in such a way that some major hacking is required to override the disabling of this and which would obviously void the warranty.

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 12th July 2019 at 07:35.
Old 14th July 2019, 11:36   #48
BHPian

I believe they are a step in the right direction. While I've also noticed that in Mumbai, speed cameras have found themselves quite some spots on the streets.

I mean, if one goes to YouTube and searches for xxx car top speed, they can find many blokes pushing the cars to their top speeds.

Something needs to be done, and agreed, people who want to drive like a maniac will do that no matter what, but at least this implementation might discourage some people and save some lives!

My two cents!
Old 14th July 2019, 17:52   #49

Voted no but i honestly think there should be a third option: no for 80 and yes for 120. I also think that most of us would choose to go with that option.
Old 15th July 2019, 01:31   #50
Senior - BHPian

Living with a car equipped with this speed buzzer (S-Cross Oct 2018). The 80 kph alarm is hardly a big deal, if you have music running, you'll probably hear it once a while. The 120 alarm is prominent, which I feel is good. Only in a recent NH4 run on empty Dharwad-Kolhapur stretches did i hit it like 3-4 times. Am normally around a 110 at most, and still average 70-80 kph over long distances, which is acceptable for me and am not complaining.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 09:59   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Living with a car equipped with this speed buzzer (S-Cross Oct 2018). The 80 kph alarm is hardly a big deal, if you have music running, you'll probably hear it once a while. The 120 alarm is prominent, which I feel is good. Only in a recent NH4 run on empty Dharwad-Kolhapur stretches did i hit it like 3-4 times. Am normally around a 110 at most, and still average 70-80 kph over long distances, which is acceptable for me and am not complaining.
I share the exact opinion having recently driven a brand new Ertiga 1.5 Diesel (6 Speed M/T) for nearly 800+ kms and back.

This was the first time ever I drove a car equipped with a speed limit buzzer. Linea and Punto were the earlier ones but then the limit was customizable.

The beeps at 80-90-100-110 is no big deal at all. No one is going to wake up if they are sleeping. The continuous beep at 120 is definitely not peaceful for the driver or the co-passenger.

In my entire drive, I may have touched 120 only 3-4 times and soon after released the throttle. It was mostly 110 KMPH all the way. During return, my co-passenger woke up just before reaching Bangalore and asked me if I drove keeping the needle just below the 120 KMPH mark and I said yes .
During onward, the same co-passenger woke up once upon hearing continuous beeps when the car was gliding without any effort at 120 on some of the stretches between Tumkur and Chitradurga.

So my answer is Yes. The alerts are a concern to me that I am careful not to wake up or disturb the peace within the car and I am absolutely happy to remain just below the 120KMPH mark and still get the best average speeds.

But the biggest miss for me was the absence of Cruise Control. I must admit that your toes/ankle pain due to the way you need to hold the throttle at one position to drive under 120 KMPH so as to remain noiseless.

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th July 2019 at 10:01.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 14:49   #52
BHPian

While the 80 KMPH buzzer is really lame and annoying, lets look at reality a bit. Even in US the interstates which are closed loop system, average a speed limit between 50 to 65 MPH ( 80Kmph to 104 Kmph) depending on where you drive. UK has a national speed limit of 70MPH (110 KMph) for its motorways. Australia tolerate something between 80 to 110 Kmphs. Hopefully somebody doesn't jump up and talk about the the unlimited restriction in autobahns (lets not compare ourselves to that even in our sleep). These are nations where there is a good civic sense and excellent motorable roads. So I do not see how its safe to do anything above 80Kmph in a country where its common for vehicles to come on the wrong side, zip into the road at intersections without looking out for oncoming traffic, park vehicles in the middle of the road without the hazard lights, buly fellow drivers just because he was keeping his lane at a steady speed and not giving way to the aggressive driver... The list continuous. In a country that has 142 thousand kilometers of national highway systems, closed loop systems like Yumana express way and the mumbai-pune expressway are hardly a spec in the map. Given all of this keeping speed below 80 seems sensible.

Ofcourse I am not saying this is the right solution, the right thing to do would be to build excellent infrastructure. But in the event of that being a distant dream, finding ways to reduce accidents is not a bad idea after all. The day we have excellent closed loop systems, good civic sense, disciplined police force, that day I will definitely call out that having a buzzer at 80Kmph is 100% stupid. Until then I would think its lame but not entirely useless.

Last edited by SR-71 : 15th July 2019 at 14:51.
Old 15th July 2019, 14:51   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
But the biggest miss for me was the absence of Cruise Control.
Cruise was the reason I chose S-Cross over Ertiga. Having used it the S-Cross and Corolla, you'll keep to much lower speeds with CC on, for me 90 and 105 with cruise is the sweet spot to avoid heart stopping brake slams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I drive multiple new cars every month
In your case, this is the problem, and that you need to have a keen eye and ear reviewing a car, you do tend to be more conscious of such thing during a review drive.

This is not the case with everyday users like me. You'll simply not notice the 80 kph alarm that much, 120 does wake people off sleep.

Last edited by GTO : 16th July 2019 at 16:27. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 16th July 2019, 08:09   #54
BHPian

I welcome this initiative & hope drivers will pay heed to the alarm & slow down.
Given the fact that India has such a high rate of vehicle related deaths, has substandard roads, virtually no adherence to traffic rules, rash drivers, why would anyone object?
Re the 80/120 speed limits, let us keep in mind how few vehicles manufactured here have a 5 star safety rating; which is at 62 kmph!
I'm all for defensive driving, safety first.
If the journey takes some more time, so be it.
Kamal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 10:56   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranabegins View Post
I don't agree with you here. When you are drinking a particular soda you are only harming yourself but when you are driving on 150km/hr and making dangerous moves on road you don't only put yourself in danger but also others around you. Most of accidents I have seen are because someone tried to play smart on roads.
So Let's take the example of alcohol then? It kills a lot of people in drink and driving, also bad for health, how about we regulate its consumption to say x amount per person and more can't be dispensed? Buzzer or no buzzer, people who want to drive at 150 will, they are the one's who should be caught and penalized and that is through enforcement. Now since this buzzer nonsense is done, government will think 'We have done our job' and not go around doing anything about the enforcement part. They will only enforce rules which require minimum effort from their end (10000 fine for parking, drink and drive Nakabandi etc etc)

On the other end, this did not last pretty long eh? Now what?

https://punemirror.indiatimes.com/pu...w/70219352.cms

The same transport ministry who asked the buzzer to be set at 120 is now telling you its okay to drive at 120. When fools rule the roost, this is bound to happen. They themselves are not clear about their own roadmap.

Last edited by humyum : 16th July 2019 at 11:02.
Old 16th July 2019, 11:24   #56
BHPian

Do the 80 / 120 kmph speed alerts dissuade you from driving at higher speeds?

Voted yes. The only car I have driven at such speeds that had a speed alert is my friend's 320i. My daily driver is a City so this was a different animal for expressway cruising. Needless to say, I found myself crossing the 120 kph mark unintentionally a few times. The speed alert definitely helped me keep myself in check and stick it just below 120.

My normal cruising speed is above 100 kph on the expressway (depending on traffic and familiarity of the area, vehicle etc) and to 60-120 kph on four-lane highways such as Mumbai-Ahmedabad. But I make it a point to slow down before intersections and such. I have seen people driving at very high speeds quite recklessly so I am fully in support of such speed alerts.

Though if I'm being honest we really need better training and testing for new drivers regardless of speed alerts and limits. With proper lane discipline + road manners (from truckers, too) the Mumbai-Pune expressway is capable of supporting high speeds on many stretches. People already speed illegally and while introducing speed alerts does help, you are only solving one side of the equation IMO. And the number of boards which request lane discipline and other info related to driving are good but let's be honest not everyone pays heed to them.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th July 2019 at 07:25. Reason: Mention of high speed driving
Old 16th July 2019, 13:09   #57
BHPian

I think this obsession of making roads safer by reducing speeds is unhealthy, and masks the real issue. Of course speed is often a factor in crashes, but bad lane discipline as big a problem. So is jumping the red lights, or a badly maintained vehicle. It's always multiple causes that create a crash and a regulatory authority should never be reducing the problem to a single factor.

Having a 80kph buzzer is stupid when there are many roads in India with higher speed limits.

Also, why should someone driving safely and quickly down a highway be penalized because some idiot wants to waddle across the highway without looking. How much slower than the speed limit to drive is a personal decision. What efforts are the authorities taking to not have idiots cross the highway? Educating them? Fences? Licencing rules?

To me, this is nothing more than projecting a few people's fear on speed on the whole population.
braindead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 14:10   #58
Senior - BHPian

Ive voted yes. I think we need to be pragmatic on our road conditions considering that high speeds do cause accidents due to lesser reaction times.
IMHO beeps above 80 is a pain. But beeps above 120 should be allowed and would serve as a deterrent.
I personally do not exceed 120 kmph on highways as I do not feel safe for myself, due to the unexpected obstacles which may come in the way(Cows, bulls, goats, cyclists, motorists, tractors driving on the wrong side et all)
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 14:39   #59
BHPian

Voted Yes in this poll. My new car is equipped with 80 kmph /120 kmph beep alerts and getting used to it.

I generally drive in 80-100 kmph range on highways, wherever such speed limits are permissible. With these alerts, it is bit of annoyance because it keeps on beeping every now and then. So currently my natural tendency to avoid these alerts is to drive under 80 kmph. Also observed that it bothers co-passenger sitting next to driver as well.
Motor_Nut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 15:00   #60
BHPian

Yes its very helpful. In my Rapid DSG its not built in but optional to set it at desired speed.

I have set it at 100. This has proved excellent as Rapid DSG with very quick gear changes reaches 100 quickly and at times without speed limit warning would cross 100+.

I am not a fan of driving fast either in city or on highway, so after setting speed warning at 100 its been a boon for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks