Team-BHP > Road Safety

View Poll Results: Do the 80 / 120 km/h speed alerts dissuade you from driving at higher speeds?
Yes 171 54.81%
No 141 45.19%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2021, 19:56   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do the 80 / 120 kmph speed alerts dissuade you from driving at higher speeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The above is a myth. Speeding is the major cause of accidents.
Overspeeding is a major cause of accidents worldwide. No doubt about that. Plus it is the most vague cause which can be applied in all cases. ( unlike drunk driving or jumping a red light where proof is necessary)

However a judicious driver is not going to speed in dangerous areas. He is going to slow down in inhabited areas. And when visibility is low. A reckless driver will speed irrespective of any visual or audio alarm. He may even create a game where the person who drives farthest with the continuous beep wins.

Even in F1 races, there are places where racers cross 300 kmph and places there they slow to a crawl. No one drives flat out throughout the race.

Going fast at 300 kmph safely is possible. Overspeeding at 20 kmph is also possible. How often have we seen auto rickshaws riding at 70 kmph on the highway. Or 100 cc bikes at 90 kmph. These are definitely overspeeding. Likewise overloaded trucks and buses, even at 60 kmph, they are over speeding. But none of these have the beeps.

A sedan which is driven at 140 kmph, capable of 220 kmph, in a deserted road where visibility is >1 km is quite safe, beeps notwithstanding.

I rarely cross 80 kmph nowadays. With fuel priced so high, I am a hyper miler. Getting 26-28 kmpl in my Honda Mobilio. and 20-22 kmpl in my Honda City. Can't afford to have fuel efficiency go below 20. But I understand the sentiment of customers who have an unnecessary feature shoved down their throat.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed