Team-BHP > Road Safety

Old 18th July 2019, 14:40   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Weird thoughts about road safety in India - Govt mulls making nitrogen mandatory for tyres!

Instead of bashing Govt, I think we need to applaud the current Transport Minister for taking steps in correct direction ( read: safety). We have seen numerous changes in rules in last five years.

Given that, I do not agree that Nitrogen is better than Air for everyday use. I was using it past 3 years and did not notice a big difference in PSI levels. Instead of Nitrogen, we need to teach car owners about general tyre maintenance. If the tyres are inspected periodically , we can avoid 80% of tyre-burst accidents. So many people brag about using a tyre for 60-80K KM which is a plain risk!

I honestly think Govt will realise their folly in this matter (NG is a smart guy) and they will silently scrap this rule soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowjet View Post
My view and experience:
6. Making traffic police responsible towards their duty. I have seen they do not work upto the mark. I have seen guys without helmets, signal breaking, triple seat etc and traffic police is ignore them. If required, recruit more people.
100% agreed, this needs more and more efforts. But also as a normal citizen ,we need to stop bribing traffic police. In many cases, before the police says anything so many people start with "sir, kuch le deke mamla nipta do"!
This has to change too!!
Old 18th July 2019, 15:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Weird thoughts about road safety in India - Govt mulls making nitrogen mandatory for tyres!

How are they going to implement the mandate? How will anyone know if I have filled Nitrogen or pure air in my car's tyres?
Old 18th July 2019, 16:03   #33
BHPian

I guess I might have shared this video elsewhere as well, however sharing it again to bring some more clarity on the issue.

Thankfully this has been tested by experts and not based on whims and fantasies of some popularity seekers.
Old 18th July 2019, 16:37   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
How are they going to implement the mandate? How will anyone know if I have filled Nitrogen or pure air in my car's tyres?
Honestly I don't think that this suggestion is ever going to actually see the light of day; so no headache of verifying purity of N.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 18:44   #35
BHPian

If only anyone could make TPMS mandatory !! That's a life saver and has the ability to alert a driver real time.
JBIBS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 20:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIBS View Post
If only anyone could make TPMS mandatory !! That's a life saver and has the ability to alert a driver real time.
You beat me to it brother. I second your suggestion of making TPMS mandatory.

Both my cars run about 60kms daily at expressway speeds. Half the time they are ferrying my children. I have installed TPMS in both of them. Since I have installed the devices, haven't used the spare tyres even a single time. Once I found 4 nails in a single tyre, though only one was leaking air. They also give warning if the pressure or temperature rises beyond your preset values. A couple of times my tyres got filled way over 40PSI, while the pump meter showed 33PSI, thanks to TPMS was alerted every time. In about 3-4 years with TPMS, they have saved me time and money worth many times their cost. Not to mention reducing the possibility of a potential accident.

I would like to add one more feature from my side which can be made mandatory, it's the rear defogger. Still many small cars and base models of big cars lack this basic feature which is very important in cold climates or during rainy season to maintain proper all-round visibility.
autoholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 23:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Just a thought- shouldn't we debate about the advantage of Nitrogen and Silicon in tires? There are several other things the government can and should fix, but there are other threads to discuss that.

I agree with the members of the forum that TPMS is more critical. Knowing the government, they'll implement a beeping system (like speed warning) if the tire pressure is too low.
Old 22nd July 2019, 12:16   #38

Air already contains nearly 80% Nitrogen only, simply can't understand the theory of filling tyres with nitrogen.

I have a petrochemical background, we use nitrogen (gas) for Purging, inerting , blanketing of the systems (Vessels, columns, etc before introduction of hydrocarbons into the system. This is mainly done to reduce the oxygen concentration in the system, as you all know fire needs ---- Fuel + Oxygen + Source of ignition. We don't use nitrogen to cool the systems, just to keep the oxygen & moisture out of the system.

The above youtube video (Fifth Gear) posted have given full details that Nitrogen is not any better than our normal air.

TPMS in all vehicles + owners should also think that tyres are most important part of their ride will solve the problem.

Most Viewed