Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2019, 22:55   #61
BHPian

Re: New Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill: Lots of sensible changes

Apparently the new parking fines are being enforced in Mumbai.
Given to understand by below tweets that fines apply if a vehicle is parked in a no-parking area that is within 500 meters of a public parking area.

First tweet by Sahil Joshi, Senior editor, @Aajtak and @Indiatoday
https://twitter.com/sahiljoshii/stat...55165728235521

As explained by Ms Menaka Doshi, Managing Editor @BloombergQuint
https://twitter.com/menakadoshi/stat...14593504825344

New Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill: Lots of sensible changes-d4aluhvaaep9ex.jpg

Time to follow rules guys. We only seem to learn when taken to task.
High fines will hopefully be a deterrent to this behaviour.
Old 10th July 2019, 01:24   #62
BHPian

I do not know when the bill will be tabled in the house. I am loosing patience waiting for it. Daily looking for news of passage of the bill. This important bill is waiting for light for last 6 years.

Does anybody has any hint about this? When will it be tabled in lower house?
Old 10th July 2019, 10:39   #63
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Given to understand by below tweets that fines apply if a vehicle is parked in a no-parking area that is within 500 meters of a public parking area.
While that is a good thing, it is bound to be misused. There are enough public parking which have no more than a few slots, always occupied.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 21:16   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
I do not know when the bill will be tabled in the house. I am loosing patience waiting for it. Daily looking for news of passage of the bill. This important bill is waiting for light for last 6 years.

Does anybody has any hint about this? When will it be tabled in lower house?
The Bill was introduced today in Lok Sabha by Mr. Nitin Ghadkari. Detailed discussion on the bill is expected to take place in coming days.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 00:30   #65
BHPian

Motor Vehicles Amendment Bill 2019 Passed

Motor Vehicles Amendment Bill 2019

Quote:
The Lok Sabha on Tuesday passed the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill 2019, to amend the provisions under the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988. Speaker Om Birla passed the Bill on the basis of a voice vote in the Lower House of Parliament.

The same Bill had earlier been passed by the Lok Sabha in the April of 2017. However, it could not get clearance from the Rajya Sabha and lapsed with the dissolution of the 16th Lok Sabha. The 2019 Bill had been tabled in the Lok Sabha by the Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari, on Monday. The Bill aims to enforce stricter penalties for road traffic violations.
Source: https://www.news18.com/amp/news/auto...s-2242597.html
roby_dk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 02:03   #66
BHPian

Re: Motor Vehicles Amendment Bill 2019 Passed

I liked two of them specifically.

The one that says juveniles driving offence would result in 25,000 fine with 3 years imprisonment plus registration cancellation of the car and separate juvenile trial. The message is clear and holds those irresponsible parents accountable. But on a related note, this can be a good source of bribary and extortion if misused

Secondly, if authorities tasked with enforcing get caught, it's double the fine under the relevant act which is violated. Hope private car dash cams do not get banned on roads to prevent recording of these acts.
haisaikat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 03:26   #67
Senior - BHPian

Re: Motor Vehicles Amendment Bill 2019 Passed

Firstly the infrastructure is poor, and since Indian law enforcement agencies are grossly under-staffed, implementation too is largely poor. Moreover, what kind of compliance can be expected when 30% of drivers licences are bogus?

The govt doesn't seem to have made a roadmap for developing machinery that adequately (if not in a robust & effective manner) prevents all illegal activities. It's just that the quantum of penalties that Govt is specifying has increased astronomically across all the laws Govt passes off late.

All these increases without much evidence that supports the credibility & integrity to the benefit of the govt machinery, will hopefully reflect in the public reaction to the predictable large scale surge in corruption.

Not a sincere effort IMHO. I'm not saying this because of the high penalties, I'm saying this because I just want govt to put abit effort in improving infrastructure to assist & encourage people to comply to the laws in the first place.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 24th July 2019 at 03:56.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 12:01   #68
BHPian

But I strongly believe that before "enforcing" the law upon us drivers, the Government has to do something about the RTO Community. I can recall a recent incident wherein an RTO was doing a driving test on the highway near Coimbatore and all of a sudden, he asked the driver he was testing to stop the car - and the driver just stopped. An acquaintance of mine was in the car waiting for his turn to be tested and he told me that he was horrified when the RTO's remark for the mid-highway stop was "Good. Well done" and he then called the next student to take the test.

If this is the standard of the machinery that administers the driving test and certifies drivers for the road, no wonder we see so many "incidents" on a daily basis. I cannot see any part of the new bill which addresses this issue.

I just pray that I am wrong.
Old 24th July 2019, 23:49   #69
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
While I agree about the honking situation - especially in blr - I still strongly feel that wearing headphones while walking / riding a two-wheeler (bike, cycle,etc) is highly unsafe.
The trick is in keeping appropriate volume levels on your device so that entire outside noise isn't drowned out.
Old 31st July 2019, 21:44   #70
BHPian

Parliament clears The Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2019

Parliament clears the Bill that will change the way India drives
Source: Economics Times
Dated: 31.July.2019

Rajya Sabha cleared the new motor vehicle (ammendment) bill 2019.
It has already cleared the Lok Sabha.

Quote:
The minimum fine for drunk driving has been increased from Rs 2,000 to Rs 10,000.
Quote:
The fine for rash driving has been increased from Rs 1,000 to Rs 5,000.
Quote:
Driving without a licence will attract a minimum fine of Rs 5,000 as against Rs 500 at present.
Quote:
The fine for over-speeding will go up from Rs 400 to Rs 1,000-2,000.
Quote:
Not wearing seatbelt would attract a fine of Rs 1,000 as against Rs 100 at present.
Quote:
Talking on a mobile phone while driving will attract a fine of Rs 5,000, up from Rs 1,000.
Link: Econimics Times

Last edited by Ithaca : 31st July 2019 at 21:53.
Ithaca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 22:21   #71

Quote:
Driving without a license will attract a minimum fine of Rs 5,000 as against Rs 500 at present.
Can someone please clarify?
What does 'driving without a license' mean here? Not carrying a valid driving license or not having a driving license at all? Is it the same fine for both? Will there be a way for the Motor Vehicle Police to do an online check using another form of ID(aadhar) whether the concerned driver has a valid driver's license?

Also what if one doesn't have a valid driving license? As in he/she has never bothered going through the stringent testing process but is caught driving a vehicle? He/she is let off to continue driving after paying INR5000? Why? Shouldn't the vehicle be impounded as long as someone with a driving license comes to get it? It never made sense to me.
Also, Hello everyone. my first automobile related post here.

Last edited by cm1933 : 31st July 2019 at 22:26.
cm1933 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 06:29   #72
BHPian

Here is the text of the amendment bill as passed by the Parliament. Big document with many changes. Apart from the increase in fines etc. some notable things
1. centralized national license database with all state database subsumed under it
2. centralized national motor vehicle registration database with all states subsumed under it
3. "good samaritan" defined and absolved of all civil and criminal charges in case the person he lent assistance to dies in the accident.
4. fitness test defined clearly and option to contesting the fitness results for the owner. if he is right, the state pays for the second test
5. helmet mandatory for children < 4 years (protective gear, it is called)
6. vehicle recall policy defined for manufacturers
7. electronic payment emphasized
8. electronic surveillance defined and explained
9. first time registration for new vehicle does not require inspection by authority
10. clearly defined rules for vehicle registration transfer and it is all electronically done

read at your leisure. though document is technical but very useful to read.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 154_C_2019_Eng.pdf (174.8 KB, 238 views)
Old 1st August 2019, 09:05   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
Here is the text of the amendment bill as passed by the Parliament.
Looks like file is corrupted, not able to open. Could you upload it again ?
Old 1st August 2019, 09:36   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Parliament clears The Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2019

Parliament clears the Bill that will change the way India drives
The title of the article should have been Parliament clears the Bill that will change the way India bribes. In most of the cases, the cops themselves hint towards paying cash and not giving a 'pawti' (receipt). Instead of accepting 100 before they will expect 500 now. Before the moral police start suggesting that we should not give bribes, let me remind that we are talking about losers who are not willing to follow the rules in the first place. How can we expect them to pay the full fine if they are given an option to get away by paying 10% of it?

Though I agree that it will pinch the offenders a little more, there has to be some mechanism to ensure they actually have to pay a fine or that all the fine collection needs to happen under video recording.

Also, the authorities need to start accepting video evidence provided by citizens for any violations detected and directly charge the fine online to the offender.
praveen789 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 09:48   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
The title of the article should have been Parliament clears the Bill that will change the way India bribes. In most of the cases, the cops themselves hint towards paying cash and not giving a 'pawti' (receipt). Instead of accepting 100 before they will expect 500 now. Before the moral police start suggesting that we should not give bribes, let me remind that we are talking about losers who are not willing to follow the rules in the first place. How can we expect them to pay the full fine if they are given an option to get away by paying 10% of it?

Though I agree that it will pinch the offenders a little more, there has to be some mechanism to ensure they actually have to pay a fine or that all the fine collection needs to happen under video recording.

Also, the authorities need to start accepting video evidence provided by citizens for any violations detected and directly charge the fine online to the offender.
I can't say if i agree or disagree. A step in the right direction would be my best first response. The " Chalega " or in kannada " Adjust Maadi" style of thinking may be the first victim of this action from the Govt.

Online fine payments may be one of the options. Rural hinterlands are still not effectively policed. For a start , it may come as a warning to conscious offenders.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks