Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2019, 18:55   #46
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad: 2-day jail for wrong side riding

Going through the posts. It seems wrong side driving is a national obsession. I thought it was limited to Noida/Gr Noida where motorists go “beyond the call of duty” to drive wrong side. One offence isn’t good enough so it’s usually accompanied by talking on the phone while they are at it. Two wheelers who don’t want to be left behind, wrong side driving should also be along with driving without a helmet and riding triple. I seriously believe people should be given few years in jail as exemplary punishment. Unless such sort of news doesn’t spread across, most people simply wont stop.

Last edited by maven : 30th July 2019 at 18:55. Reason: Sentence correction
maven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 10:34   #47
BHPian

Great move! Should be applied to all the major cities if not pan India.

This brings back some memories of a great initiative by one of the township in Pune - Amanora Park Town.

In order stop this menace of wrong-side-riders, the township authority had installed a swiveling metal strip (Tyre Killers), which had pointed edges which were facing towards the traffic which approaches from wrong side.

If you drive from the right side nothing happens to your tires, but if you approach from the wrong side, the tires get hit by the pointed metal which punctures the tires.

It was in place and very effective for a day or two, but the Pune Police sent out a legal notice to the township authorities to remove it, as according to them the Type Killers were not legal.

I believe the Tyre Killers are a great way to discipline the wrong-side-riders, and should be legalized. Some pilot programs should be run in few cities to see the effectiveness, at least on some really busy roads of major cities.

Also, needs to be installed on the footpaths, so that will stop the Footpath-Riders (another problem in Pune) from using it to escape traffic.
Old 31st July 2019, 12:50   #48
BHPian

Fantastic move by Hyderabad police.

Wrong side driving & driving on footpath is one of the most common offences committed in Bangalore. Ironically many of these offenders are the educated engineers who get very defensive when accosted. Such stringent measures is the need of the hour. Sadly I doubt if the Bangalore police are upto it :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0986 View Post
It was in place and very effective for a day or two, but the Pune Police sent out a legal notice to the township authorities to remove it, as according to them the Type Killers were not legal.
Those spikes are illegal unless under controlled circumstances for a valid reason, they can actually be fatal. Imagine a spike strip without proper warning in a dimly lit area. Any biker even at medium speed will end up in a disastrous accident. Yes its wrong to drive on the wrong side of the road, but such lethal deterants are not the solution.

Last edited by SR-71 : 31st July 2019 at 13:10.
Old 31st July 2019, 14:35   #49
BHPian

Kudos to Hyderabad cops for such a strict action. Wrong side riding and driving is not only dangerous but also a sheer exhibition of how people take law for granted in our country.

Senapati Bapat road in Pune is plagued with such wrong side riders and drivers and many of them can be seen carrying IT company badge meaning they are educated. A day or two in jail for a few of them will surely straighten things out.

I believe the probability of jail time is a much bigger deterrent than fine for such offences.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 14:51   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Fantastic move by Hyderabad police.

Those spikes are illegal unless under controlled circumstances for a valid reason, they can actually be fatal. Imagine a spike strip without proper warning in a dimly lit area. Any biker even at medium speed will end up in a disastrous accident. Yes its wrong to drive on the wrong side of the road, but such lethal deterants are not the solution.
Totally agree with your point, we don't want anyone to get killed, hence a few pilot projects should be initiatied, wherein all the factors should be taken into consideration and then it should be tried, tested and implemented, that too after creating adequate awareness about this. Then the solution could be tyre killers or something else.

Till then, we would have to double the traffic warden staff to catch all of them manually and fine them, or even put them in jail, if we are left with any capacity, cause the offenders won't budge, as we have many to tackle with. :(
Old 31st July 2019, 15:38   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
Being a resident of Hyderabad since birth, driving since the last 15 years, i can vouch for the actions of the actions of the traffic police. In the 15km odd commute i take daily, i easily come across 10+ such offenders, 90% bikers.
But the main culprits responsible for traffic jams and bottle necks are Autos and cabs (Operating like sharing autos). The traffic police should take the matter seriously and come down on Autos.
I humbly negate this. If police is there in a signal, these autos and cabs , they follow rules. But the major problem is with the educated souls. They start arguing and waste your energy. For last 7 years I work with police on the roads in Hyderabad and I am telling from my experience (https://telanganatoday.com/techie-tu...aise-from-cops). (In fact today morning, one educated guy coming in an all new Honda city started eating my head).
Old 1st August 2019, 13:43   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
I humbly negate this. If police is there in a signal, these autos and cabs , they follow rules. But the major problem is with the educated souls. They start arguing and waste your energy. For last 7 years I work with police on the roads in Hyderabad and I am telling from my experience (https://telanganatoday.com/techie-tu...aise-from-cops). (In fact today morning, one educated guy coming in an all new Honda city started eating my head).
You are right about the educated soles part. But i am not just talking near signals and junctions, where these autos and cabs are a nuisance. Just on a plain road, near bus stops, exit gates of buildings, etc. Maybe i'll record a video of my commute to work and post here, just to show what i am talking about.
Rohit_Quad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 17:46   #53
Senior - BHPian

Commendable move by City Traffic police. Wrong side riding is one of the biggest banes of travelling in this country. And it is done with such impunity and vigor that if you confront they retaliate as if you are on the wrong.
And I agree with the fact that Autos/Tuk Tuks are the biggest problem on the streets. They really need to be reeled in.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 10:44   #54
Senior - BHPian

This is a commendable step by Hyderabad police, and something that ought to become the norm across the country. Breaking the most basic of traffic rules (wrong-side driving, jumping a signal) should result in the risk of jail time and a criminal record. It is also the way most developed nations deal with people who break such basic rules - they are prosecuted under both traffic and L&O sections of the law.

However, this precedent is a flash in the pan and I predict that it will not catch on. Violating traffic rules (not breaking the law) has now become ingrained in the psyche of the masses as a fundamental right. Anyone opposing them while they violate rules is seen as committing a criminal offense. The risk of getting caught and getting fined/jailed is very low, given the extremely patchy and spasmodic enforcement of rules by the police. Getting caught is viewed as just "bad luck".

If the police enforce these basic rules stringently and consistently, then the "masses" who break these rules will surely complain long and hard to their respective MLAs, Corporators, political bigwigs et al. Then, the risk of losing the next election (and hence their meal ticket) will result in the powers that be to force the police to "go easy". Then, all will be back to "normal" again.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 20:53   #55
BHPian

Hyderabad: 2-day jail for wrong side riding-b78862456e7d4cc9bf5278d3ca5eca0a.png
Old 5th August 2019, 15:34   #56
BHPian

In my honest opinion this is much needed on our roads. The cops just need to enforce the law till it becomes 2nd skin. I know it is going to be hard and will receive flake from all quarters, however in the greater good and inculcating discipline this is much needed. Also it should not stop at this, right from an early age the kids in school must be made aware of this so that in future we have law abiding citizens…
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks