Team-BHP > Road Safety

View Poll Results: How do you plan to cope with the increased traffic fines?
I am an extremely law-abiding driver, and I never / rarely get fined 339 80.71%
I shall just grin and bear the additional expense 36 8.57%
I plan to improve my own / family member's / chauffeur's driving, to avoid those steep fines (tell us how) 75 17.86%
I do not need to pay traffic fines where I live and drive (tell us how and where)) 11 2.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 420. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2019, 07:46   #151
Team-BHP Support

Re: Traffic Police enforcing new Motor Vehicles Act from 15/08/2019 : How do you plan to adapt?

I usually follow traffic rules strictly and hence not worried much about the hefty fines. There are two points of concern I have.

1. Is there any clearly indicated buffer for speed limit to allow for speedo error or human error (apologies if this has been discussed already)? I don't want to be fined for over speeding when I have set the cruise control to 80, but the speed gun clocks the speed at 82. If the law does not have a buffer, then I think the safe thing to do would be to cruise at 5kph less than the speed limit?

2. A major concern I have is the cycle carrier I have on my car. As I travel often to take part in Triathlon events and also for practice, I have to carry my cycle on the roof rack. Carrying it inside the car is not practical as I will have to disassemble the bike and place it in the boot and even with a disassembled bike, it is a very tight fit in the boot. I have been using the rack for the past few years and except a couple of cursory interest, have not been told by any cop that this is an issue.

However, with the increase in fines, I am worried about it. Is there any clear law about bicycle carriers in the MV act? Is there a way to get an endorsement in the RC book? Or should I just ride my luck for this one?
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 13:58   #152
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Traffic Police enforcing new Motor Vehicles Act from 15/08/2019 : How do you plan to adapt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
1. Is there any clearly indicated buffer for speed limit to allow for speedo error or human error (apologies if this has been discussed already)? I don't want to be fined for over speeding when I have set the cruise control to 80, but the speed gun clocks the speed at 82. If the law does not have a buffer, then I think the safe thing to do would be to cruise at 5kph less than the speed limit?
I don't think we have this concept of a "buffer" for speed violations in India. However, if you set your cruise speed to the same value as the posted speed limit you should be fine since all cars have an "in-built buffer" by indicating a slightly higher than actual speed, so your example of 80/82 wouldn't be a real-life scenario. Just my 2 cents.

No idea about the bicycle carrier.

Last edited by NPV : 17th September 2019 at 13:59.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 16:57   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
all cars have an "in-built buffer" by indicating a slightly higher than actual speed, so your example of 80/82 wouldn't be a real-life scenario.
Nowadays google map is showing vehicle speed along with the direction. I see that speed shown by google map is about 2 - 3 kms lower than my car speedometer. I believe speed shown by google map would be more accurate as it is based on GPS.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 17:46   #154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't think we have this concept of a "buffer" for speed violations in India. However, if you set your cruise speed to the same value as the posted speed limit you should be fine since all cars have an "in-built buffer" by indicating a slightly higher than actual speed, so your example of 80/82 wouldn't be a real-life scenario. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Nowadays google map is showing vehicle speed along with the direction. I see that speed shown by google map is about 2 - 3 kms lower than my car speedometer. I believe speed shown by google map would be more accurate as it is based on GPS.
That is good to know. Thanks for the confirmation. I think it is safe to set either the speed limiter or cruise control to the speed limit and not worry.
Old 17th September 2019, 21:30   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I usually follow traffic rules strictly and hence not worried much about the hefty fines. There are two points of concern I have.

Varies from state to state. Delhi usually allows 7-8 kmph over the speed limit, as indicated by a GPS-based speedometer device. So for a 50-kmph zone, you're likely to not get a challan at 55 kmph, but will get one at 60 kmph. On the NH1 from Delhi to Chandigarh, or the Himalayan Expressway to Shimla, I've heard of people being challaned at 2-3 kmph over the posted limit.

The law says that a 5% margin of error will be allowed, so on a 100-kmph road, a speed radar reading of up to 105 kmph should not be prosecuted.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 10:32   #156
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Nowadays google map is showing vehicle speed along with the direction. I see that speed shown by google map is about 2 - 3 kms lower than my car speedometer.
GPS based devices like your phone/Personal map & navigation devices like the Garmin, etc will be much more accurate with the displayed speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The law says that a 5% margin of error will be allowed, so on a 100-kmph road, a speed radar reading of up to 105 kmph should not be prosecuted.
Is it possible/practical to challenge the cops when challaned for a violation of < 5% ? In such cases, would one need to go to a court of law to challenge this and will the car be seized for not paying the spot fine for speeding ?

Also wondering, if one has non-standard (upsized/downsized) wheels on the car, it could again result in a variation in speed displayed on the car's speedo, but not sure if this enough to be a concern from the perspective of speed violation/adherence to speed limits.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 12:05   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible/practical to challenge the cops when challaned for a violation of < 5% ? In such cases, would one need to go to a court of law to challenge this and will the car be seized for not paying the spot fine for speeding ?
There is an official Gazette notification regarding this, and I am uploading the PDF file as well as a screenshot of the relevant part:

Draft_Notification_no_S_O_1522E_dated_6_4_2018_regarding_Revised_Speed_Limits_0.pdf

Traffic Police enforcing new Motor Vehicles Act from 15/08/2019 : How do you plan to adapt?-5percent.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed