Team-BHP > Road Safety

View Poll Results: How do you plan to cope with the increased traffic fines?
I am an extremely law-abiding driver, and I never / rarely get fined 339 80.71%
I shall just grin and bear the additional expense 36 8.57%
I plan to improve my own / family member's / chauffeur's driving, to avoid those steep fines (tell us how) 75 17.86%
I do not need to pay traffic fines where I live and drive (tell us how and where)) 11 2.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 420. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2019, 15:21   #31
BHPian

Re: Traffic Police enforcing the new Motor Vehicles Act from 15 August 2019 : How do you plan to cop

I am happy with these changes in the bill and I hope that people will be more careful now. But what I do wish that the government should do something about the conditions of the roads as well (Gurgaon Particularly). I am guilty of speeding on Sunday morning rides on Yamuna expressway.

Last edited by utkarshshukla92 : 14th August 2019 at 15:24. Reason: Grammar check
utkarshshukla92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 22:05   #32
BHPian

Re: Traffic Police enforcing new Motor Vehicles Act from 15/08/2019 : How do you plan to adapt?

I drive on national and state highways once in 3/4 months and am always left guessing what the speed limit is. The NH changes from barricaded 3 lane to 2 way and there is no speed limit signs indicating limits at regular intervals. In other countries google maps indicates speed limits, but not in ours.

While being fully in agreement with the increase in fines, MORTH should definitely do more to help disseminate information for us commoners abide by these rules. Half baked policies only help fill the coffers of the unscrupulous.
sprocket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 22:12   #33
BHPian

Re: Traffic Police enforcing the new Motor Vehicles Act from 15 August 2019 : How do you plan to cop

I don't understand the second option at all - why grin & bear expense? It's like willingly shooting yourself in the foot again & again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
"Speeding" is the only traffic rule I tend to break occasionally. That's usually driving at 66 kmph in a 60 kmph zone on wide downward sloping sections of the ring road. I intend to grin and bear the new "traffic fine", rather than drive with my eyes fixated on the speedometer.
Really sir? You find it easier to part with a couple of grand everytime instead of driving sedately? Throw some of that money this way
superbad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 22:40   #34
BHPian

Re: Traffic Police enforcing new Motor Vehicles Act from 15/08/2019 : How do you plan to adapt?

I have been driving for ~30 years and I have been "fined" a grand total of one time. (Cop maintained I broke the signal. I maintained it was amber and if I had stopped, the guy behind me would have banged into me. I still maintain the same after all these years! But thats neither here nor there)

I try and follow as many traffic rules as possible. Not for the cops, but because it is the correct thing to do.
These heavily increased fines are for the good, but I am afraid in India, this will just lead to more corruption. I do have an idea to fix this effectively. 75-80% of the fine collected should be officially given to the cop issuing the challan.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 22:51   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

I am worried about over-speeding and lane discipline as potential "threats". Will need additional discipline and awareness to counter these.
Actually come to think of it, this may not be as tough as I imagined. I always follow all traffic rules including the 50 kmph limit when I drive in Chandigarh.

Why ?

Because the policing is very strict, even more so for outstation cars. I hope the entire country becomes Chandigarh.
Eddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 23:24   #36
BHPian

I want all violators be fined. Also, please ensure there are *large visible* signages indicating speed limits.

Also, allow some room for errors. I have seen 61 kmph being fined in a 60kmph zone.
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 23:41   #37
MMV
BHPian

One area where I would love to see improvement is regarding registration of vehicles. The MVA should have provision (as far as I have heard MVA currently doesn't have this provision) to enable one time or national registration. This will enable easy movement or shifting of your car across country in case a person relocates.

There are issues like state revenue and security etc which needs to be addressed but with many such acts (GST for example) coming up there is definitely a way out.

Last edited by MMV : 14th August 2019 at 23:44.
MMV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 00:40   #38

As someone living in a small city that is regularly overrun by tourists every weekend (some of who are DUI),I am all in for strict enforcement of these new fines for traffic infractions. I would be happier if these fines were doubled for infractions by self drive rental cars as it is my personal observation that people tend to be reckless more often when driving them. Just getting to work on Saturdays and Sundays is a risk here these days. Most of these tourists are from the state metropolis(Bengaluru) and they seem to believe traffic/parking rules don't really matter in this puny 'village'. Ofcourse tourists are welcome but these days it is plain annoying.

Why fine only the infractions by motor vehicles? What about the pedestrians? Half the problems on Indian roads are due to totally unregulated pedestrian movement. How can the roads be civilized as long as the pedestrian gets a free pass? Maybe they should fine the local governments for lack of proper traffic markings/signs.
cm1933 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 04:48   #39
BHPian

I sincerely hope the higher fines do not become an incentive for cops to make money. The public will be more than happy to pay bribes at a fraction of the original fine and drive away. But still this is a welcome move.
gb97ce6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 05:23   #40
BHPian

I was fined mostly for speeding where I missed to see the speed limit of that stretch of road. I believe this is can happen with any of us. or accidentally going beyond the speed limit. By using navigation apps which shows the speed limit and using cruise control you can save yourself from some of the above mentioned. I heard Google Maps would soon be introducing speed limit feature in India. I don't agree with the idea of detecting speeding radars to avoid fines.
rahulrajeev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 08:39   #41
BHPian

Bold move, But barely enough. Because there are so many problems which lead to violations in our country. Top 3 key reasons which I see from my experience of staying in multiple countries and from the observations I have made -

1. Serious lack of Infra.
Where are the roads, Lanes, Signs boards ? I mean, whatever we have, do they suffice ? Even bizzare, when they break, how soon we get them restored back ? Someone rightly pointed out in another post; what would you do when 5 cars cut in to 3 lanes and what can you do when 10 more bikes breathe down your neck on top of those 5 cars ? Oh I forgot to include uncountable number of pedestrians who are almost everywhere. It's a battle out there on roads every second and you are trying to survive more often than not, than driving. And then, we speak about sane driving. I wish.

2. Lack of adequate police personnel.
Again, someone rightly posted a picture (I didn't stop because I didn't see you). When I lived in Charlotte, the cop to citizens ratio was 1:89. I had a feeling as if I am always being watched. Never a good feeling, but it kept me alert nevertheless. What ratio we got in India, even in Metros: in thousands ? Government could give it a thought too ? Deployment of more cops will at least create more jobs, even if we are totally negative towards any better enforcement.

3. Culture
Lack of moral education and associated fear. Our "chalta hai" attitude, which leads to so many mistakes we make. I lived in Tokyo for more than 5 years, but never saw any traffic cop and rarely any patrolling. But rarely also witnessed violations. It's built so deep in to the roots of that society to respect moral values and follow protocols. Alright, Japanese are in to a totally different league of discipline. But are we even miles close. I wish again.

Imposing heavier fines will only help the cause so much. I am happy to pay the fines for what it is worth. But I wish government spends the income on better infra and more recruitment.
JBIBS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 09:25   #42
BHPian

Since the only way to enforce rules in our country is via the stick, I am extremely happy with the new rules & higher fines.
When it really pinches the pocket, maybe our folk will change their behavior.

Follow The Rules is the only answer.

But a bigger point is how many of our citizens really know what those rules are.
And how do they educate themselves about these rules - if they are really interested in learning.
Ithaca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 10:33   #43
BHPian

I got fined four overspeeding on the Mumbai Bangalore highway near Davangere. Open roads, sparse traffic. I think I may be around 110 kph. A team of cops with the speed cameras and all was what I saw in my rear view
And then a few hundred meters ahead, a cop with no fear for life walks in the middle of the road to stop me. I admitted and paid up.

Another instance, my mom riding an Activa registered in my name stands on the zebra crossing. Clicked. Fined. Paid.
Asked mom, she said there were others too
adneeraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 13:34   #44
Senior - BHPian

At this rate, I'll be bankrupt!

It's so difficult to stay/maintain speeds below 100 Kmph on an open and wide highway! I prefer cruising by looking ahead rather than the speedometer, which means the needle rarely stays steady.

I'm also afraid of highway hypnosis as I always tend to dose off on Kerala highways where the speed limit is 90 Kmph() in that 200 KM's of 4 lane highway!

Looks like I'll have to start traveling by trains again

But I'll agree with the rest of the rules provided there are sufficient sign posts and warnings
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 14:47   #45
BHPian

Downloaded the Mumbai Traffic App a couple weeks back when BMC declared the new parking rules for the city, only to find a challan from January 2017 !! I had stopped my car over the zebra crossing line. There were 2 photos too, one of the entire scene and the other of the number plate. Was quite impressed. Immediately paid off the 200 bucks challan online.

I personally won't be affected within the city. I also don't travel by car unless I'm 100% sure there'll be space for parking. But on the highways? Its difficult I feel the speed limits could be extended to 100 and its neighbors on either side on some stretches. But road users do lack discipline for that.

The big question is, do we have the infrastructure and manpower to enforce these rules?
TROOPER is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed