Team-BHP > Road Safety

View Poll Results: How do you plan to cope with the increased traffic fines?
I am an extremely law-abiding driver, and I never / rarely get fined 339 80.71%
I shall just grin and bear the additional expense 36 8.57%
I plan to improve my own / family member's / chauffeur's driving, to avoid those steep fines (tell us how) 75 17.86%
I do not need to pay traffic fines where I live and drive (tell us how and where)) 11 2.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 420. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2019, 15:30   #61
BHPian

Re: Traffic Police enforcing new Motor Vehicles Act from 15/08/2019 : How do you plan to adapt?

I have paid a challan once for talking on my mobile without handsfree and that was a decade ago.

I mostly stay within the stop line and overtake from the wrong sides only on the highways where the trucks do not budge.

Speed is usually kept in check for the stretch and 'the time of the day'. In fact during daylight hours I set my cruise control at 89 kmph on the NH-1.

Lastly having 'retained' my identity card from the last govt hospital I worked in, I have used it about 3-4 times to get out of a challan, mostly parking violations.

And, truth be told, I pasted the 'LTD' and url teamBHP stickers on my Endy 2 days ago and I immediately knew I have to be more careful on the roads and be responsible for the image I carry with the stickers.

Just cannot let my TBHP family down!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th September 2019 at 15:16. Reason: Spacing
Hellzboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 15:34   #62
BHPian

Re: Traffic Police enforcing the new Motor Vehicles Act from 15 August 2019 : How do you plan to cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Driving without license?

What does this exactly means for NCR Traffic Police?

I don't keep my original license with me and instead carry e-license through DigiLocker App. Same for the vehicle RC.

I also keep a copy of order that validates carrying of license through digi locker app and will be acceptable by police.
I had done the same but the traffic cop wasn't ready to listen. He says he wants a hard copy. And I should atleast have xerox copies. He was very polite though. I had my emission certificate and a xerox of the insurance so he didn't trouble me at all.
As for DL, I have made a duplicate of the DL and that works well.

Location - Hebbal,Bangalore

Last edited by GTO : 17th August 2019 at 01:25. Reason: typo
Shashwat B is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 17:35   #63
BHPian

Re: Traffic Police enforcing new Motor Vehicles Act from 15/08/2019 : How do you plan to adapt?

While I follow rules most of the times, there are times when I excuse myself like times when I see an empty stretch of road. There also times when I'm forced to not follow the rules; people behind you honking 15 seconds before the green light. Sometimes I'm the only person waiting on red looking like an idiot.

While steep fines may make people abide by the law to an extent, for all practical purposes, it's a bribe making machine.
motobliss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 17:41   #64
BHPian

While an exponential increase in fines for traffic offences may look like a deterrent to willful traffic offenders , yes, agree it will be a deterrent in a very different way Earlier for example a red signal jumper when caught would offer Rs 50 to the cop and get away, now the cops have an opportunity to make him cough-up Rs 500; yes, so this becomes a deterrent.

But the worrying aspect is how this is going to be enforced. In this country, what we have is a plethora of laws and poor ability to enforce the same, we as citizens also lack the moral and discipline to follow the law ( How many times have you seen motorcyclist wearing their helmet on their hands or keeping these on the fuel tanks and wearing them when they see a cop?)this, as a result leads to the people just ignoring the law and in some cases just feigning ignorance. The danger to common man, is of our corrupt policing system using this to harass the law abiding citizens . IMO, the government should have first focused on infrastructure to have a fair and effective enforcement of the rules like cameras on arterial roads, vulnerable junctions, ensuring road signs and traffic lights are visible etc and this way we would have had a recourse if fined on a whim and fancy.

In a country where cops pay huge sums for postings in lucrative stations , they have a target for collection and a target for them selves to recover the money paid and more often than not the target is the law abiding citizens ( The rich, and politically connected get away with murder and the ‘street smart have their ways)and try to extract money quoting some offence , this is the reality in many cases .

I was stopped once in Chennai being in a KA registered car and asked for papers and proof that I was not driving around TN for more than 6 months , after providing all proofs , the cop told me that he would fine me for sun film on my rear windshield !! when there was no film, after protracted argument and asking him to show me the sun film, he jumped on to asking for the emission certificate, in the process he wasted over 30 minutes and made me feel frustrated ( the cop was frustrated too ).I got away that time without paying, but have heard similar stories from several others who weren’t so lucky, they were fined for parking where there were no No Parking signs, booked for dangerous driving on a road where you could not be doing more that 25-30kmph at best and they were booked on frivolous grounds with no practical recourse .

In the western world , police inspire a sense of safety, but in India a cop, most times is seen as a goon in uniform, I would like to apologize to any member(s) in this forum who belong to the law enforcement fraternity, no offence meant , but this is ground reality . Many a times people do not have the time , and energy for this engagement and then challenge this in the courts and further spend multiple visits over days, weeks and months. They therefore just pay-up to get done with this and this encourages cops further . This one dimensional move of increasing fines therefore stands a risk of being exploited the wrong way.

Of course , the best option is to follow traffic rules , which I have always done, and that is a discipline not dictated by the presence of a cop, but when you still get targeted is where the frustration is where you realize that you are in the situation where you have all the responsibility and no rights while the government and the enforcement agencies has no responsibility or accountability.

Last edited by Eddy : 17th August 2019 at 17:26. Reason: spacing for better readability
gops2009 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 19:17   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobliss View Post
While steep fines may make people abide by the law to an extent, for all practical purposes, it's a bribe making machine.
Even an offender wants to pay bribe, he/she probably will need to shell out more considering hike in fines. Also, nowadays due to presence of smartphone cameras and CCTVs, not many people will do this kind of transactions openly.

In addition, nowadays many violations are raised based on complaints on social media or other online platforms. One such tool is Bengaluru Traffic Police (BTP) "Public Eye". Here offenders will have to pay actual fine amount. Many times I have noticed BTP personnel clicking pictures or taking note of violations and challans will be raised later.

As long as increase in fines pinch pocket of offenders, I believe it will act as deterrent, at least to some extent.
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 23:14   #66
BHPian

30 years ago, when the new motor vehicle act came into existence, the old system of registration numbers was done away with. I mean, the 'three alphabet + four digit' system was replaced with state specific and RTO specific codes. For example: GDX 1234, CAF 9723, DLE 2345 etc style was discontinued and GA-01 X - 1234, KA -05 M 8745 etc came into existence.

Does anyone know whether this new amendment changes the registration number style now ? Many RTO series in the country are nearing saturation and I thought the Govt might introduce a new numbering system.
n_naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 12:54   #67
BHPian

I am normally a very careful driver and have got challaned only once (6 yrs ago) before it last happened on 12th Aug'19. The previous challan was for dark film on the windows and the latest one for having exited the road from a point that I later figured was supposed to be an entry point. It is completely fair that I got challaned for the offence that I committed but my problem is with two things-

a) There was no mark clearly saying that it is an entry point and not an exit point and to compound matters, this was a 90 degree turn unlike your normal entry/exit turn that are at an angle which could help determine their purpose. This was in the middle of the day on a holiday (Id) and the road was completely empty. Along with me 4 other vehicles exited from the same point (I being the 3rd vehicle in the sequence) and as soon as we exited, we found policemen waiting for us. It seems the policemen know that people often make the mistake of taking a wrong turn at that point. Upon expressing surprise, the policemen pointed us to a faraway board showing that the exit point was further ahead. To me this looks like unaware drivers being led into a trap with authorities being well aware that a first time visitor to that spot is likely to make a mistake. The signboards on the road are for your convenience and safety. If the signboards are not easily visible and the driver has to consciously look for them, there is a good chance that he will get distracted, which is dangerous.

b) Everyday on the Mehrauli Gurgaon road and several other stretches, I find wrong side driving during peak traffic hours is pretty much a norm. Wrong side driving can be extremely dangerous during such hours for everyone. Why would the traffic police not focus on challaning drivers during this period (or even confiscating vehicles given the danger involved)? Why focus on enforcement when the road is actually empty and there is little chance of a small violation leading to a dangerous outcome? The rules are supposed to be enforced to avoid accidents and not to act after an accident has happened.

It is good to increase the fines to instill further discipline. However, authorities should be mindful of improving driving conditions (ensuring signboards and traffic light visibility, removing encroachments, road design improvement etc.) to support drivers who indeed want to follow rules. Further, the focus of enforcement should be on reducing dangerous situations and casualties (which are more likely during heavy traffic) than on booby trapping people.

Last edited by Eddy : 17th August 2019 at 17:26. Reason: spacing for better readability
interest is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 17:22   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Would love to hear from all of you about how you plan to avoid the big voids in your wallet - what preventive measures are you, your family members or your chauffeur planning to implement, to avoid getting fined while driving?
Follow the rules, of course.

One concern would be where really thoughtless authorities have, for example, set speed limits ridiculously low (20kmph where the road was clearly designed for and is absolutely safe at triple that - many such places here in H.P.). In the past such could be safely ignored in favor of simply driving at rational speed/with the flow, at worst paying a token fine in the unlikely event police had radar guns. Now what??? Drive at 20kmph or even 40 from Swarghat to Manali and you're looking at some very long journeys at completely unnecessary speeds.

And what of frequently missing signboards, etc - higher fines are certainly needed if driving habits would improve, but:

1. Fines (vs. more economical bribes) actually have to be levied and enforcement cannot be arbitrary or showing favoritism towards the elite classes, etc.

2. Government bears responsibility to carefully decide speed limits and lane controls / traffic flows and etc, and erect correspondingly clear signages. The ONLY times I've been pulled over by police (or for that matter received parking challans) in these twenty years was when making honest mistakes in the complete absence of signboards.

Much could be added here, but in theory at least, these are welcome changes.

Were "Lane Violations" even on the list (including double-laning, weaving aimlessly from one lane to another, driving up the shoulder of a four-lane in the wrong direction, failing to use turn-lanes, etc)??? That should be a HUGE one for Delhi and Manali alike! As should be failing to dip headlights to oncoming traffic at night. I'd bet that between these two and drunk driving, strict enforcement could cut road accidents by half.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 16:05   #69
BHPian

Please pardon if this is off topic but it has traffic cops and breaking rules and accidents, so some relevance maybe.
One thing which has always bothered me, and soon I am going to take up this matter appropriately, is that the traffic cops always hide behind trees and carts and whatnots around the corner rather than be at the redlight. Everyone knows that a single uniform is a deterrent to breaking the law. I am a responsible professional myself and believe in 'Prevention is better than cure'. On the same lines, would it not be better to distribute these 3-4 Ninja style hidden cops at different red lights and prevent red light jumping and crossing stop line etc and thus, preventing accidents rather than pouncing upon drivers to fill their or the government coffers?
I have been thinking of a PIL or some other remedy can be sought. Maybe even a social media campaign.
Hellzboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 18:13   #70
Senior - BHPian

Your PIL would not be maintainable. The amount of data you would have to annex just to prove your case would be impractical.
You cannot possibly go to RTI 10 times a day to find out which cop is deployed where or how his deployment affects traffic management and challan. Or are you planning to suggest different ways of performing traffic duties more efficiently to the entire Traffic Police via a PIL?

Also, when a Traffic team is sent on the field they have separate defined though overlapping duties. Manage traffic, catch offenders, vip movement, crowd diversion etc etc.
They stick to their brief though a cop assigned to catch offenders can manage a red light and a cop at red light can stop and challan.
Lastly, the sheer volume of vehicular traffic in our country and unlimited number of red lights and intersection make it impossible for the traffic police with limited resources to cover everything.

Last edited by bigron : 18th August 2019 at 18:19.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 18:15   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellzboy View Post
On the same lines, would it not be better to distribute these 3-4 Ninja style hidden cops at different red lights and prevent red light jumping and crossing stop line etc and thus, preventing accidents rather than pouncing upon drivers to fill their or the government coffers?
I have been thinking of a PIL or some other remedy can be sought. Maybe even a social media campaign.
The States simply do not have the economic resources to have a traffic police force large enough to man every crossing or even every major and moderate crossing 16 hours a day. For developed countries with fish laser and order - think New Zealand, UK , Germany - the number of chips or 100,000 population is in the 200 to 275 range. In India that number is usually one fifth of this. I do not know what the answer is - maybe CC TV and automatic fines and penalties harsh enough to deter a joker from jumping signals a second time.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 18:34   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellzboy View Post
Please pardon if this is off topic but it has traffic cops and breaking rules and accidents, so some relevance maybe.
One thing which has always bothered me, and soon I am going to take up this matter appropriately, is that the traffic cops always hide behind trees and carts and whatnots around the corner rather than be at the redlight. Everyone knows that a single uniform is a deterrent to breaking the law. I am a responsible professional myself and believe in 'Prevention is better than cure'. On the same lines, would it not be better to distribute these 3-4 Ninja style hidden cops at different red lights and prevent red light jumping and crossing stop line etc and thus, preventing accidents rather than pouncing upon drivers to fill their or the government coffers?
Yep I too have seen such hiding by the cops and jumping in front of the offender once the offence has occurred. Should definitely be a PIL on it preferably leading to a court order to prevent such behavior (which sounds motivated to extract fine/bribe rather than prevent the offences)
nec2152 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 15:56   #73
BHPian

I am all for the increased fines and do hope that this brings a culture of following traffic rules to a crowd largely used to getting away with (almost) anything in daily traffic.

But an incident just today morning brought out the fact that all this is useless if the traffic cop is reluctant to record the offence. I was waiting at the Marriott signal on SB road since we had the red light.

Just then, a car standing at first position in my lane simply went ahead and took a right. This was right in front of the traffic cop standing at the junction. He did not even blow his whistle. He kept looking at the car which incidentally had to pause to merge into the traffic. Then he started to take something out of this pocket. I thought maybe it will be a mobile to take pictures or a notebook to note down the number. Nothing. He simply changed his mind and did nothing.

I do understand that stopping a speeding vehicle breaking traffic rules may harm the policeman's life and limb but this car ran the signal at such a slow speed that if the policeman had run after it, he would most definitely have caught up at the turn.

Thus with the increased fines, those people who usually adhere to traffic rules will be more vigilant but those who don't care at all will not change because they know they can con the system.

Last edited by luvDriving : 3rd September 2019 at 15:57. Reason: grammar
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 11:58   #74
Senior - BHPian

In Delhi/NCR, I am not sure if increased challan will improve any traffic conditions but I am definitey sure that the new motor vehicle act will help some traffic policemen make 'extra cash' - If you know what I mean!
bluevolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 12:42   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
In Delhi/NCR, I am not sure if increased challan will improve any traffic conditions but I am definitey sure that the new motor vehicle act will help some traffic policemen make 'extra cash' - If you know what I mean!
A steep payout is a deterrent - doesn't really matter if it goes into the pockets of police. As long as it compels people to follow the rules, I am good with it. Getting rid of corrupt cops can be tackled afterwards.
Eddy is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed