Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety

View Poll Results: How do you plan to cope with the increased traffic fines?
I am an extremely law-abiding driver, and I never / rarely get fined 337 80.62%
I shall just grin and bear the additional expense 35 8.37%
I plan to improve my own / family member's / chauffeur's driving, to avoid those steep fines (tell us how) 74 17.70%
I do not need to pay traffic fines where I live and drive (tell us how and where)) 11 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 418. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th September 2019, 16:19   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Traffic Police enforcing new Motor Vehicles Act from 15/08/2019 : How do you plan to adapt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
people are whimpering because the people who will implement the law have no morals and ethics. Ever been caught because some cop had to finish his quota? Or wanted to make a quick buck? Or simply wanted to show you who the boss is?

Sorry to say man, obeying the law has got nothing to do with why people are upset, people are upset at thugs being given too much power.
I do not seek to insult the intelligence of the common man, much less a fellow BHP-ians'. If what you're seeing is thuggery by the Khaki crowd, it is what it is and your complaints are valid. I am no one to say anything else or otherwise. I realize I have erred in making that broad statement.

But speaking from my vantage point over here in Chennai, where the police have been de-fanged and are rendered mute spectators to the daily thuggery by the populace - The people of my state cannot wait at a red light or drive on the left side of the road. Not even if people's lives depended on it

My anger is directed at these lawless people in my restive home state. The police are far from being the thugs doling out hardships here.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2019, 16:31   #122
BHPian

Default Re: Traffic Police enforcing new Motor Vehicles Act from 15/08/2019 : How do you plan to adapt?

BTP tweet mentioning that digital documents are accepted as proof. Looks like there is confusion among themselves
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic Police enforcing new Motor Vehicles Act from 15/08/2019 : How do you plan to adapt?-btp.jpg  

TorqueyTechie is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2019, 16:49   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
*SNIP*
Sorry to say this, but how can our forum's members try to weasel their way out of abiding by the laws of the land? This is not done
I do not get the impression that any of the members here are trying to weasel their way out of following rules. I get the impression that they (as I) are absolutely keen on following rules; and are only asking to be facilitated in doing so by clear definitions and judicious and appropriate interpretation and enforcement.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2019, 17:02   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I do not get the impression that any of the members here are trying to weasel their way out of following rules. I get the impression that they (as I) are absolutely keen on following rules; and are only asking to be facilitated in doing so by clear definitions and judicious and appropriate interpretation and enforcement.

Cheers
All the heated talk in the previous page of levying fines based on one's income level and simply blaming the current leadership - that's what set me off here. A chief contributory cause of chaos on our roads is this same communist mindset of - oh, that's a poor autowallah, let him do whatever he wants to - this creates a slippery slope for everyone else to follow suit. And when it suits them, a lot of people transform into magically poor people. Never mind it when they stand in line for buying the latest smartphone.

"If you can't do the time (in jail), don't do the crime" is the popular saying. Over here it is "If you can't pay the steep fine, you'd better toe the line".
locusjag is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2019, 20:37   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I got a ticket by mail for not wearing a seat belt. I actually WAS wearing my seat-belt - my belt instinctively comes on even when I am just sat in a car, moving or not, whether in the driver's seat or not.
That's really frustrating! Will installing a dashcam that records the interiors of the car with timestamp help in this case? That way atleast we'll have evidence that we were wearing seat belt during said date and time.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2019, 22:25   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Less than a week into enforcement of the enhanced traffic fines, the scenario is getting progressively interesting.

1. Many of the huge penalty amounts are due to non-production of valid papers for the vehicle and driver. The old MV Act allowed 24 hours for a violator to produce valid documents at the local police station / traffic guard post, for the fine to be waived. Has this rule been discontinued in the new amendment? And are a majority of our motor vehicle users so careless about having / keeping valid documents with them when driving / riding?

2. There are reports of the not-so-well-off vehicle users (2-wheeler riders, auto rickshaws, tractor trolleys etc.) being slapped with huge penalties for multiple offences at a time, which they can ill afford to pay. Their reaction is quite spectacular, to say the least. Whilst some have worked out that it is cheaper to surrender their scooter than to pay the fine, others have protested uniquely by setting their own vehicle on fire when faced with a large fine.

3. What is even more worrisome is that traffic police personnel are being attacked when they stop traffic rule violators, and there are some such videos being circulated on social media. The enforcers of law have lost their credibility, and public beatings may actually cause the individual cop on the street to back off from his bounden duty. Not that attacks on traffic police personnel did not happen earlier, but such incidents are expected to increase in the days to come, with the hiked penalties.

4. With the amendment of the MV Act, where the police are also becoming targets of vigilantes and 'citizen cops', because the new rule says police and government officials will have to pay double the penalty for traffic violations. A video surfaced on social media wherein a police vehicle was stopped by a group of citizens and heckled because the personnel inside were not wearing seat belts.

5. For fear of violating speed limits, vehicles are now being driven well below the notified speed limit on many roads. On the 80-kmph NH48 from Delhi to Gurugram, speeds hardly ever exceed 60 kmph. On the stretch of road near my residence, cars and bikes travel at 35-40 kmph when approaching a prominently installed speed cam, then zoom away at 70-80 kmph soon after.

6. Lane violations and zigzag driving, all within or below the speed limit, do not find a mention in the list of penalties, so it's a free-for-all at slower speeds nowadays.

7. Cyclists and pedestrians (and of course, livestock) are beyond the ambit of the amended law, and they continue to do as they please on our roads. Jaywalking has always been a way of life, and it is apparently not an offence if a cyclist jumps a red light. Hit a cyclist or a pedestrian or a cow, and you, dear motorized vehicle user, are to be penalized for dangerous driving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I am going to wait for inflation to catch up with these fines. Given the current govt's economic performance, I am optimistic that these numbers will be meaningless soon!
Indeed, whosoever wrote the provisions of the amended Act, did not make it future-proof. There are no provisions for rising fines on a year-to-year basis. So for the next couple of decades or more, we shall continue to have the same penalties applied, while the value of money will continue to fall.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2019, 22:34   #127
BHPian

What I doubted, I saw that happening in the daylight in Bengaluru today. My office, being next to a 'not-so-busy' road in the heart of the city and close to multiple VIP locations, frequently gives me a chance to see the cops doing their job.

I must say that in this area at least, the cops actually carry out their job quite well. But, as I already mentioned; now the 500 notes will be changing the pockets. Today itself, I witnessed the same while having coffee and standing behind a window (Yes, I frequently keep looking at them for passing my time). A scooty guy was stopped, discussion happened, he went aside with one of the cops -and finally left. Enough said!

Govt. needs to understand that this rule is going to make many cops or the netas (at the end) richer. What I see, is simply another daylight scam where the policy makers will now have a trail of new age notes reaching them easily, and nobody will even speak

Now the conversations will be like:
Cop: Stop!
Rider: Yes?
Cop: Congrats, you just saved 1500 bucks
Rider: ????
Cop: Earlier I would have given a challan of 500, you would have given me 100 and saved 400. But now, the challan amount is 2000 and you will give me 500 to escape. So Congrats sir, you just entered the scheme where you will save 1500 bucks!

Last edited by VKumar : 6th September 2019 at 22:39.
VKumar is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019, 00:59   #128
BHPian

We (humans) are incredible (even within this forum).While one member takes umbrage when it was implied all Indians needed danda for obeying law few other members implies that all police officers takes bribes!
TorqueyTechie is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019, 08:24   #129
BHPian

New headache for vehicle owners in Bhubaneswar with respect to PUC.

Quote:
As the amended Act, with stiff penalty, has sent vehicle owners on a mad scramble, most pollution test centres are unable to produce valid pollution under control (PUC) certificates after failing to register online.

Of the 51 PUC centres under the jurisdiction of two Regional Transport Offices (RTOs) of the City, just 19 have managed online registration with the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) by August 31, which was the cut-off date. There are 21 static and portable authorised PUC centres under RTO-I while RTO-II has 30 such units.

Before the amended Act came into effect on September 1, State Transport Authority (STA) had categorically asked RTOs to direct the authorised PUC test centres to register themselves with Parivahan Sewa under MoRTH but in vain.
Source

Yep! Money does matter!
Traffic Police enforcing new Motor Vehicles Act from 15/08/2019 : How do you plan to adapt?-img20190906wa0002.jpg
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019, 11:11   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Question: What happens to unpaid fines carried over from before the change?

Bangalore traffic cops usually pull up challan history on their handheld devices at stops, and one's expected to clear all dues (as they should).

If new rates apply to unpaid fines, some habitual offenders and payment defaulters are in for a a rude shock.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019, 12:51   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
...A scooty guy was stopped, discussion happened, he went aside with one of the cops -and finally left. Enough said!..
From what I have seen, these traffic cops are very smart & play it very safe here in BLR. They usually will not take the bribe directly. They will keep some guy/guys around to "collect the money" on their behalf. The deal happens & the money need to handed over to their pimps hanging around.

BTW I vaguely remember reading long back about court ruling against stopping private vehicles for checking if there is no explicit violation. Does anyone recollect any info & details about this?
null is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019, 16:09   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Cop: Earlier I would have given a challan of 500, you would have given me 100 and saved 400. But now, the challan amount is 2000 and you will give me 500 to escape. So Congrats sir, you just entered the scheme where you will save 1500 bucks!
Still the person committing the violation is paying more, which itself should work as a deterrent.

In Bengaluru, many violations are booked using traffic cameras and evidence submitted by public. Also, I have seen many times traffic police personnel just noting down the vehicle number or taking a picture. In those cases, I don't think anyone will get option to do any negotiation.

Instead of researching on who is making money from these fines, I believe we should put emphasis on creating awareness on not violating traffic rules. If people don't violate they don't need to pay either fine or bribe, period.

Last edited by airbus : 7th September 2019 at 16:26.
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2019, 17:34   #133
J4J

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
2. There are reports of the not-so-well-off vehicle users (2-wheeler riders, auto rickshaws, tractor trolleys etc.) being slapped with huge penalties for multiple offences at a time, which they can ill afford to pay.
Yes. My daily cab driver is really angry with this decision. Every morning he shows me how private cars openly flout the traffic norms. However, he has acknowledged that his driving has faults and needs improvement. Most of the people don't know that the traffic rules are for our own safety. Now, every morning I educate my driver about the real intention of each traffic rule.

Quote:
4. With the amendment of the MV Act, where the police are also becoming targets of vigilantes and 'citizen cops', because the new rule says police and government officials will have to pay double the penalty for traffic violations. A video surfaced on social media wherein a police vehicle was stopped by a group of citizens and heckled because the personnel inside were not wearing seat belts.
I totally agree. While fines have increased, the police have to be the role models now as many people will now record any traffic violation committed by the cops and make it public. With more power comes greater responsibility.

Quote:
5. For fear of violating speed limits, vehicles are now being driven well below the notified speed limit on many roads. On the 80-kmph NH48 from Delhi to Gurugram, speeds hardly ever exceed 60 kmph. On the stretch of road near my residence, cars and bikes travel at 35-40 kmph when approaching a prominently installed speed cam, then zoom away at 70-80 kmph soon after.
I also observed the same on Greater Noida Expressway. Here the speed limit is 100. However from last two days people are driving at 60-70 Kmph.
Earlier it was 80-90Kmph (except a few).

Quote:
7. Cyclists and pedestrians (and of course, livestock) are beyond the ambit of the amended law, and they continue to do as they please on our roads. Jaywalking has always been a way of life, and it is apparently not an offence if a cyclist jumps a red light. Hit a cyclist or a pedestrian or a cow, and you, dear motorized vehicle user, are to be penalized for dangerous driving!
Agreed. Lets hope that this will not be misused against the "larger vehicle driver" in case of an event with a cyclist/pedestrian.

How are the rural areas coping with this change?
Has anything changed on our highways(the parts that go through rural areas)?
J4J is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2019, 10:00   #134
BHPian

I tend to follow the traffic rules to the best of me. So voted for the first option.
However, I tend to miss the over-speeding by few kmph on Outer Ring Road/Highways.
But I never risked the life of co-passengers or other vehicles with the over-speeding.
The answer to the poll is simple, only way one can avoid penalties is by following the rules
coolmind is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2019, 10:23   #135
BHPian

I drove gurgaon-Greater Noida thrice last week. What do I see? People ARE following the traffic rules. Not all rules, but there is a noticeable change. I loved it! What is still not followed though is - lane driving and over-speeding. I guess 60% of people on road know nothing about lane driving anyways, so it would take time. As for driving within speed limits - I observed, some roads esp inside Delhi, have intolerably low speed limit of just 30KMPH.

Nevertheless, I observed, in fact looked for the speed limit signage on roads and Delhi esp have a signage every 50 metre on all roads. Needless to say, I followed the speed limits >90% of my drive.

Overall, I'm happy.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote