Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How do you plan to cope with the increased traffic fines?
I am an extremely law-abiding driver, and I never / rarely get fined 339 80.71%
I shall just grin and bear the additional expense 36 8.57%
I plan to improve my own / family member's / chauffeur's driving, to avoid those steep fines (tell us how) 75 17.86%
I do not need to pay traffic fines where I live and drive (tell us how and where)) 11 2.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 420. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2019, 03:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Traffic Police enforcing the new Motor Vehicles Act from 15 August 2019 : How do you plan to cop

I plan to do it (once i am back) by doing what the legislative, Judiciary and the rich do to enjoy immunity from traffic laws of the country - Be driven around, and drive only if absolutely necessary.

I suspect some sort of equilibrium will evolve soon. Just need to wait it out.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 04:23   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Traffic Police enforcing the new Motor Vehicles Act from 15 August 2019 : How do you plan to cop

Speeding is the only offense I'm knowingly going to commit; will have to grin and bear it. On a funny note, my only (recorded) speeding offenses have been on Bombay roads; and I have been paying 1000 INR per ticket anyway; so I'm already on the new MVA terms for a while

While increased fines were necessary for our overburdened roads, I do hope the entire traffic infrastructure sees a similar upgradation (read:bribes, etc)!
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 05:29   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

It is only speeding where I suppose I can be a bit over sometimes. But that has a lot to do with the absurd speed limits our authorities love to post. Case to point- Badarpur flyover in Delhi. This is a 6 lane access controlled elevated tolled stretch on which two wheelers, autos, rickshaws, carts etc are not allowed. Speed limit? An absurd 50kmph. And with the proliferation of speed cameras and e-challans, honestly it is becoming a bit of a nuisance. You never really know how accurate or well calibrated the equipment is, and the tolerance allowed is nothing. My FIL received an e-challan for driving at 52kmph on that stretch.

The way I see it, this is just paying lip service to road safety and the real agenda is revenue maximization.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 09:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Many people here are writing about over speeding, But, I am surprised, where, inside Cities within India, we have roads to go over speed?

I am unable to go beyond 60 Kmph anywhere within Bangalore City. And if we really do over speed within City limits where traffic Jams almost always exists and multiple cross roads intersects, then, it should be definitely avoided whether we have fines or not.

And I do not think the traffic rules do not have 60 Kmph limit on Highways. Highway Limit will be 100/120 Kmph which anyways is what we usually follow and do not go beyond this.

Last edited by gkveda : 14th August 2019 at 09:14.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 09:32   #20
BHPian

This seems fair, yet so unfair. In our traffic situation, you really can't be perfect and there are situations where we have step outside of our boundaries either unknowingly or are just forced to. Just slapping a huge fine on a first time offender might fatten the government's wallet faster but come on, 2000 for a speeding offence? A bit too much don't you think?

In my opinion, a point system like they have abroad with each offense adding a progressive rise in fines and an ultimate cancellation of the driving licence would separate the repeat offenders pretty quick.

But all of this doesn't really affect me at because I live in the countryside, where we have lots of good, dare I say; touge like, roads, not a whole lot of traffic and almost no cops. Most of all of my driving is done outside the cities , I don't even get a chance to speed because of all the twists and turns.
SH1N1G4MI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 09:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Many people here are writing about over speeding, But, I am surprised, where, inside Cities within India, we have roads to go over speed?

I am unable to go beyond 60 Kmph anywhere within Bangalore City
I have been caught once and since then i drive cautiously in the city. Its always there on a few parts of the ring road which comes well within city limits and you can do speeds of 80kmph and above even in peak hours on a few particular stretches.
Also the speed limits here are 60 and 80kmph.

Last edited by abhi7013 : 14th August 2019 at 09:34.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 09:36   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
The point is, as said in the post above, by shreyans_jain, the speed limits are absurd at some places. Having said that, it's best to keep your speed similar to the rest of the traffic in that area at that time. Both, much slower or faster could be a pain to others as well.

Last edited by swissknife : 14th August 2019 at 09:37.
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 09:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
"Speeding" is the only traffic rule I tend to break occasionally
You're not alone, I think many of us here are like this only

I'm seriously worried as how I'm going to have a check on my speedo. Activa is fine, but the CPR might get me into trouble. I wonder how the folks owning Striple, Versys, Z900 etc will manage to ride under 50 within the city
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 09:56   #24
Team-BHP Support

I remember being challaned for four reasons

- Once for DUI : This was over a decade ago & does not happen any longer as I have become wiser. I had to pay unofficially to get out of the situation.

- Once for jumping a red light: I thought I crossed over on amber. The policeman thought otherwise. I paid the challan.

- Three times for over-speeding: Once on the Ajmer highway and twice within the city for crossing 50kmph. Paid the challan on all three occasions.

- Once for changing the lane to overtake. Paid the challan.

The first two will never happer again.

I am worried about over-speeding and lane discipline as potential "threats". Will need additional discipline and awareness to counter these.
Eddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 09:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
"Speeding" is the only traffic rule I tend to break occasionally. That's usually driving at 66 kmph in a 60 kmph zone on wide downward sloping sections of the ring road. I intend to grin and bear the new "traffic fine", rather than drive with my eyes fixated on the speedometer.
I have exact same doubt when it comes to speeding tickets. Do they expect drivers to fix their eyes on the speedo to make sure they don't exceed the limit?
This may sound stupid, but what if a slight "margin" is allowed? For ex: if the speed limit is 60KMPH, +/- 5KMPH should be tolerated, vehicle speed may vary because of the slight upward/downward slopes.

Last edited by pkulkarni.2106 : 14th August 2019 at 10:00.
pkulkarni.2106 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 10:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
"Speeding" is the only traffic rule I tend to break occasionally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
You're not alone, I think many of us here are like this only
One more member of the club here. I have got 2 fines till now, and both were for speeding - once after Marathalli Underpass (towards silkboard) and once under ECity flyover, around Singasandra (towards silkboard).

I ride a D200 and it is near impossible to keep the bike under 40 and ride all day, so I guess I have to grin and bear the fine

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 11:27   #27
BHPian

This will be a challenge on kerala roads. The speed limit is 50 kms within the city, 80 kms for 2 laned NH and 90 kms for 4 laned NH. I am still not clear on what parts are considered as city though because whole kerala is like one big urban suburb.

Looks like Speed will be the new Alcohol (revenue cash cow) for govt and help pay some govt salaries!!
vishnurp99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 12:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I have got 2 fines till now, and both were for speeding - once after Marathalli Underpass (towards silkboard)
Same pinch Anoop!!

I've been imposed a fine right on that spot once. After that I'm extremely careful either to hide & drive with a bus or ensure not to cross 45 Kmph

Very notorious place that traffic cops hide right under the tree/bushes & its quite difficult to notice them at that curve
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 12:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

I am ok with the jacked up fine amounts, but what I am not ok is with the selective implementation of these rules. For example, shopping malls pay the local policemen well, so they plonk 'No Parking' boards in all streets near the malls and ensure it is adhered strictly, just to ensure they park inside the malls as it is a very important revenue for them. However, what the police do not bother about is, how wide the road actually is, or what would others in that area who are not going to the mall do for parking space, etc. This is something that irritates me.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 15:06   #30
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I am ok with the jacked up fine amounts, but what I am not ok is with the selective implementation of these rules. For example, shopping malls pay the local policemen well, so they plonk 'No Parking' boards in all streets near the malls and ensure it is adhered strictly, just to ensure they park inside the malls as it is a very important revenue for them. However, what the police do not bother about is, how wide the road actually is, or what would others in that area who are not going to the mall do for parking space, etc. This is something that irritates me.
I agree with your opposition to selective implementation.
Another example of selective implementation is to let go, trucks, buses, autos and only catch cars, bikes and scooters.
Even worse case of selective implementation is to let go trucks coming from the wrong side ( one of worst violation and most dangerous, in my opinion) and catching bikers without helmet.
Lets hope that better sense will prevail and real objective and fair implementation of new law with stricter fines will take place.
JLS is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks