Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2019, 20:57   #31
BHPian

Re: All about speeding, speed limits, and reasons & methods for setting speed limits

Fantastic thread SS da, rated 5*. Interesting to read about the science behind speed limits and not surprised to learn in India we don’t follow that said science.

Fully agree with your point on driver education taking precedence before preventive speed restrictions. I have spoken to many drivers that are not even aware that the number on the sign post indicates the speed limit. They are happy to honk and zigzag their way through traffic trying to stick to the limit.

Another issue I have experienced recently since I started to ride a scooter, is related to different speed limits for cars and 2 wheelers. Since there are no dedicated lanes for 2 wheelers and lane discipline as a concept is non-existent on our roads, the difference of 10kmph on the ground seems to be a lot. So, that results in multiple vehicles sharing the same road at different speeds. Does this not have the potential to cause more accidents than preventing them?

Last edited by Burn_out : 22nd October 2019 at 20:58. Reason: Punctuations
Burn_out is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:35   #32
BHPian

Re: All about speeding, speed limits, and reasons & methods for setting speed limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Wow... and these Volvos are not penalized?

The concept of advisory speed limits (square yellow board) does not exist in India, unfortunately. The board just asks motorists to slow down for their own safety, but exceeding this limit does not mean a penalty will be imposed.
Nope. State transport run service. To give it a reality check, I've driven at a safe distance to check their actual road speed and found them clocking 120 with ease.

The other stupid practice of putting rumblers or even speed breakers is just a no-no. I've seen cars lose control trying to avoid a last minute detected speed breaker. Guess they should print warning signs on the road in fluorescent colors. That way, people won't have to take their eyes off the road.
roadrunner_nv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 23:08   #33

Hi, one clarification

Does DSL mean that in India irrespective of roads, all 2 wheelers have a speed limit set at 50 kph?
Marco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 23:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

A well researched thread.

Problem in India is the casual attitude. Somewhere deep inside we all think and want to follow the rules but the attitude of "hota hai chalta hai" kills us.

As rightly pointed out by fellow members certain speed limits on certain roads eg. 30-50 kmph is impractical. However these speeds are deliberately set like that because the authorities know that the drivers will definitely go 10-20 kmphr more on the higher side. Does this mean that a speed limit of 80 kmphr mean that we can go at 90? That's debatable but that's what the authorities have in mind probably.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 21:53   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post

As rightly pointed out by fellow members certain speed limits on certain roads eg. 30-50 kmph is impractical. However these speeds are [b]deliberately[\b] set like that because the authorities know that the drivers will definitely go 10-20 kmphr more on the higher side. Does this mean that a speed limit of 80 kmphr mean that we can go at 90? That's debatable but that's what the authorities have in mind probably.
Indian authorities no nothing of road sense and I can vouch for that. Had there been a bit of that, they wouldn't put countless barricades on national highways (Bangalore to Kanyakumari route) and many on blind turns as well

Almost all the heavy metal barricades are heavily dented, bent, crumbed and that says the number of accidents they caused.

Coming to your point- Certainly the speed limits aren't set with any study by the authorities. I have seen 6 lane NH with no visible intersections carrying 50 km speed limit sign!
GladRagu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:19   #36
BHPian

Excellent thread SS-Traveller Sir. Highly informative and has added so much to my knowledge. Thanks a lot for painstakingly putting together data in detail.
Rated 5 Star!

Last edited by virgopal : 2nd December 2019 at 10:22. Reason: added word
virgopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2020, 02:55   #37
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I think a cross reference between this thread and https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...vers-rise.html (UK: Accidents caused by slow drivers on the rise) is very important to understand real life situation in indian cities as well with all sorts of unfit and vehicles and drivers hogging the road and authorities misreading it as a need to further reduce speed limits (or they are forced by professional activists filling PILs).
SLK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 09:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladRagu View Post
Indian authorities no nothing of road sense and I can vouch for that. Had there been a bit of that, they wouldn't put countless barricades on national highways (Bangalore to Kanyakumari route) and many on blind turns as well

Almost all the heavy metal barricades are heavily dented, bent, crumbed and that says the number of accidents they caused.

Coming to your point- Certainly the speed limits aren't set with any study by the authorities. I have seen 6 lane NH with no visible intersections carrying 50 km speed limit sign!

So true on these points and several other posts immediately below. Our own NH between Kullu and Manali underwent I guess lakhs of crores of improvements for "double laning" (well, not quite) a couple years back - a truly lovely, well-built road replete with shiny new speed limit signs on some.of the best, straightest sections telling us that 20kmph us the correct speed! The police have bought a radar gun and like to hang out around there...

A combination of reasonable, scientifically-backed law, and actual enforcement is key. Artificially low limits set either in ignorance, or glean income, or in the hopes people will drive no more than 10-20 above posted, are going to turn out counter-productive.

Well-established fact in the U.S. / EU is that it is speed DIFFERENTIALS that cause accidents more than speed itself. So there are minimum speeds on the Interstates there, and sudden speed-limit changes are avoided. Keep everything flowing together basically... hard to do if people are too insistently individualistic on either (or all) side(s). Or when enlightened authorities have set different limits for 2-wheelers, etc... and yes, been on a Volvo bus that was moving towards Delhi early one fine morning at 140-150kmph... Sheer madness on every side, basically.

As for the barricades, they are largely unnecessary (throwback to the Raj?), frequently create jams, and extremely dangerous at night especially, most often with no reflective tape and oncoming high-beams forever blinding (another endemic, unnecessary, and dangerous thing that ought to be addressed). That combination granted me a few close calls on the bikes over the years, and can only thank God I'm still here and not maimed in whichever ways.

-Eric.

Last edited by ringoism : 8th April 2021 at 09:22.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 13:21   #39
BHPian

Install speed governors in all motor vehicles at manufacturing stage: Madras High Court.

Quote:
The court ordered that speed governors should be installed in motor vehicles, including two-wheelers, at the manufacturing stage itself.
Quote:
Justices N. Kirubakaran and Abdul Quddhose also directed the Centre to reconsider a decision taken by it in April 2018 permitting M1 category (motor vehicle used for carriage of passengers and comprising not more than eight seats in addition to driver’s seat) vehicles to travel at a maximum speed of 120 km per hour on expressways, 100 km/hr on four lane highways with dividers and 70 km/hr on roads within municipal limits and other roads.
Quote:
Lamenting that similar speed relaxations had been granted to other category of motor vehicles too, the judges said the government appeared to have liberally increased the speed limit “for commercial reasons” despite knowing well that speeding was the cause of most road accidents. They said Patanjali Dev Nayar, Regional Advisor to World Health Organisation (WHO), had opined that “we could save 30 to 37% of lives if we reduce the speed limit to about 55 to 57 km per hour”.
Quote:
The court ordered that imported vehicles, with high-speed engines, must also be calibrated in such a manner that they do not exceed the permitted speed limits.
Source: https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...=sticky_footer
Old 2nd June 2022, 23:46   #40
BHPian

What about cases where the speed limit is set below what the road can handle? For example the new Mumbai-Nagpur Expressway is designed with a speed of 150 km/h in mind but the limit is 120 km/h. The wide lanes and very gentle curves need minimal driver input at speeds 30 km/h below the intended ones.

Wouldn't this present a danger of its own where drivers will slowly lose focus due to not "feeling" like they're moving fast? And it's also a waste of resources to design a road capable of speeds it will never see (limits may be raised in the future but the chances are slim).

Posted on this very old thread since this is a topic that's been on the back of my mind for a while now.
Old 12th January 2024, 14:34   #41
BANNED

How do you ensure to follow Speed Limits?

Hello,

I had my license recently suspended for travelling at 70 KMPH on a highway with speed limits of 60 KMPH (feeling it is very unfair , but it is what it is) post that I have been very careful to follow speed limit boards when ever I am travelling. This was travelling to Karnataka through Goa, the speed limits are not so stringently followed in Maharashtra through.

The intention of this thread is as rules become more stringent I thought it would be valuable to understand from everyone on this forum how they ensure to follow the speed limits on roads they drive on considering some of us travel to multiple states taking road trips across the nation.

The challenge is to properly identify the speed limits to follow as there are speed limits board for 40 or 50 and then there will be a board after 100m - 200m displaying 80 as the speed limits.

Hope this is helpful to everyone and look forward to improved driving conditions for all citizens going forward.
Old 12th January 2024, 16:18   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How do you ensure to follow Speed Limits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Simple rule- If you are driving along, and happen to reach a stretch of road that looks suspiciously alien. No road enroachment, no jaywalkers, no lane hoggers, perfect tarmac, side barriers, light/nil traffic. In short, a road that looks unIndian. All your basic driving instincts tell you to either floor it safely or cruise at a comfortable efficient speed. DON'T !! There will be a speed trap, or a fixed camera. Go 20-30km/h less than the speed that you feel is safe for the road design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilmonkey View Post
The challenge is to properly identify the speed limits to follow as there are speed limits board for 40 or 50 and then there will be a board after 100m - 200m displaying 80 as the speed limits.
Something we have to live with in India. Unscientific speed limits and signages are part and parcel of Indian roads.
DicKy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 16:49   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Something we have to live with in India. Unscientific speed limits and signages are part and parcel of Indian roads.
Thank you for sharing your advice its sensible.

Living with it is fine if it affects us on monetary basis. The biggest issue is the ARTO who suspended my license informed me that the driving license will get permanently cancelled if it is suspended for 2 - 3 times which sounds insane to me.

I am unaware what happens next the after a license is permanently cancelled. Should we make a new license? Then this defeats the whole purpose of license suspension or improving road traffic sense for citizens of the country.
Old 12th January 2024, 17:00   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe we should all ask Google to take it up as a project and show the speed limit of the road we are on in Gmaps

Most Viewed