Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2019, 11:41   #61
BHPian

Re: 2019 Global NCAP crash tests - Ertiga, WagonR, Santro & Redigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123.rishabh View Post
Is the test facility for GLOBAL NCAP located in India or the cars are sent abroad for the same.
It's outside India. In the detailed video of Nexon's GNCAP testing it was mentioned that the tests were performed in Munich, Germany.
k_kumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 14:33   #62
BHPian

Re: Global NCAP launches the sixth round of #SaferCarsForIndia crash test results

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Pleasantly surprised to see Ertiga getting a 3-star rating. I always thought that it will not get more than 2 start (just a feeling). And Yes, BNCAP will just ensure that no zero star cars are around us. It a missed opportunity for BNCAP. A 3-star GNCAP equivalent rating should be the minimum passing criterion.
Me too!

From what I have read, a drop of one star in the rating system is a drastic reduction in passenger safety.

My next car will have a 5 star rating even if it has no resale value of 'milage'

And to think all the star ratings are calculated at not too high speeds. how safe would a 3 star car be at 100kmph collision?
Mafia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 15:01   #63
BHPian

And hence, Eritga VXI is out of my shopping list. I was looking to buy Ertiga VXI in February next year. I need 7 seater MPV because of family needs. This crash result of Ertiga empties my shopping cart just before checkout.
sushantr5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 15:56   #64
Senior - BHPian

As a owner of the latest Ertiga, I am a bit surprised that the car got 3 star rating, I was expecting 2 stars to be honest ! So the quest for a much safer Maruti continues ...

At least from the looks of it, the cars were not getting crumpled like cardboards beyond the A-pillar this time around (remember Scorpio or Kwid's first test ?), not that it makes these ones look good but it seems we are heading in the right direction very slowly.
NiInJa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 16:45   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
And hence, Eritga VXI is out of my shopping list. I was looking to buy Ertiga VXI in February next year. I need 7 seater MPV because of family needs. This crash result of Ertiga empties my shopping cart just before checkout.
Do we have any 5 star rated MPV? I think Innova and Hexa have not been tested.
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 17:02   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
We have 4 star rated Marazzo.
Old 4th November 2019, 17:24   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm fishing for updates on this topic myself - but I can only recall 4 star rated MPVs at best in India. The Aria was 4 star rated back in 2011. Of course, I heard that what's 4 star rated this year is bound to be rated lower next year if nothing in it changes...

So anyway, right now the Marazzo is the best we have - with the same caveat; it would be down-rated in successive years if M&M does nothing to improve it further.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 17:32   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Innova Crysta has 4 star safety rating from ASEAN NCAP. Not sure how different ASEAN and Global NCAP tests are.
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 19:13   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Innova Crysta has 4 star safety rating from ASEAN NCAP. Not sure how different ASEAN and Global NCAP tests are.
That's disappointing for a car so costly. Our official review states that it has an "Indestructible build".

If Nexon can score 5 stars, a reputed car double its price must. Or is it due to lack of small features like speed alerts and door auto locks?
Old 4th November 2019, 20:39   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
This is what I had posted regarding the differences between XL6 and Ertiga.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4654699 (Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs)

Even I was curious to know what earned the XL6 SUZUKI-TECT badge which all NEXA cars get and only Vitara Brezza gets in the Arena lineup. I'm not sure what difference the different panels and members would have but I'm hoping it has a positive effect over the Ertiga.

Regards,
Shashi
Actually another member JediKnight has posted the below in the same thread. I wouldn't be too hopeful about XL6 which is nothing but a Ertiga with cladding.

Quote:
I got some information on this from my birdies. As per them safety wise there is no difference between Ertiga and XL6. Both of them comply to the current and near future Indian safety norms. Both of them much better than the outgoing Eritga.
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 21:11   #71
BHPian

Quote:
That's disappointing for a car so costly. Our official review states that it has an "Indestructible build".

If Nexon can score 5 stars, a reputed car double its price must. Or is it due to lack of small features like speed alerts and door auto locks?

Apparently it didnt get 5 stars due to lack of ESC in the test car.
http://www.aseancap.org/v2/?p=3691

Quoting from the report:

"Toyota Innova is the second MPV model from Toyota tested by ASEAN NCAP. The second generation model that was recently launched fared well during the test by obtaining 14.10 points for Adult Occupant Protection (AOP). However, as ASEAN NCAP prerequisite for 5-Star requires the variant to be equipped with Electronic Stability Control (ESC), only variants with ESC is eligible for 5-Star AOP while those without received 4-Star AOP. As for Child Occupant Protection (COP), Innova achieved 76% compliance that puts it within the 4-Star category rating. The model has Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Seatbelt Reminder (SBR) for both driver and front passenger, ISOFIX and top tether fitted as standard in all of Innova’s variants. ESC is available as optional for base but standard on higher variant."
Old 5th November 2019, 19:21   #72
Senior - BHPian

if anything this test vindicates my point I made in the Honda shutdown thread here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4681870 (Honda Cars India may shut its Greater Noida factory)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post

Every manufacturer does cost cutting in India especially in the sub 10 lakh segment and some above it.

For eg:

A top manufacturer spends pittance on chassis integrity but prefers to focus r&d on providing a car filled with gizmos and a frugal yet efficient powertrain built to a price to say they "offer more for less".

Other top manufacturer thinks providing premium interiors with good material, connectivity and paint quality will distract customers from poor chassis build quality overall.

There's a new entrant now who is emulating the quirks of the above two and is starting to establish itself as a viable third alternative.

The manufacturers that prefer to put their money on a decent engine/build quality but have no spare budget to add premium interiors or teenage attention grabbing gizmos to match the above rivals on pricing are ultimately ending up as the biggest losers.

Some manufacturers really don't care if Global Ncap highlights the fact that they make 0 star cars in Asia but other manufacturers can't afford to lose their brand image which is why Toyota and Honda had openly declared a few years ago that they are not willing to build cars to compete with entry level cars in India. A segment that makes many manufacturers a chunk of money.

Greed is subjective. For some the omission of in car features maybe greedy but for others manufacturers selling unsafe cars is greedy.

What's more valuable? A 10" touchscreen infotainment system or a life?

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 5th November 2019 at 19:24.
Nithesh_M is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 13:07   #73
BHPian

I would like to bring attention to a very important question raised by fellow Bhpian SoumenD in Hyundai Venue official review thread. We now know that Santro has fared poorly with 2 star ratings. We also know from Official review of Venue that it is based on K1 platform which made it's debut in Santro. Also in the same official review, we have the following sentence:
Precise build & quality (including interiors) are easily among the segment best

I feel the above sentence is a bit misleading especially with words build and quality. we all can agree that Venue has not been crash tested but since Santro has fared so poorly, can we at least look at modifying that line and give clarity that this is no way reflective of its crash abilities. Alternate suggestion will be to add one more point to mention crash tests.

On that note, why don't we start adding one line in Like/Don't like section with results of crash test (of car or of platform). I know some cars or platforms won't have results ready but as soon as it is ready we can anyways go back and add that line in official review.

Last edited by RaghuVis : 8th November 2019 at 13:07. Reason: spelling mistake
RaghuVis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 13:48   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
I would like to bring attention to a very important question raised by fellow Bhpian SoumenD in Hyundai Venue official review thread. We now know that Santro has fared poorly with 2 star ratings. We also know from Official review of Venue that it is based on K1 platform which made it's debut in Santro. Also in the same official review, we have the following sentence:
Precise build & quality (including interiors) are easily among the segment best

I feel the above sentence is a bit misleading especially with words build and quality. we all can agree that Venue has not been crash tested but since Santro has fared so poorly, can we at least look at modifying that line and give clarity that this is no way reflective of its crash abilities. Alternate suggestion will be to add one more point to mention crash tests.

On that note, why don't we start adding one line in Like/Don't like section with results of crash test (of car or of platform). I know some cars or platforms won't have results ready but as soon as it is ready we can anyways go back and add that line in official review.
A well built car need not necessarily be safe and vice versa. Etios appears flimsy but scored 4 stars in safety rating. I am sure the review is pointing more towards body panels, fit and finish, interior material quality and how well they are bolstered in Venue. I am sure you would disagree if "Precise build and quality" statement appeared on Etios review given its safety rating.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 23:22   #75
BHPian

While I was following the Global NCAP results, it is clear that even with such awareness typically in all auto media channels there is no high demand for safe cars or decline in demand for unsafe cars.

Tata Nexon is one of the cars that showed a better number at sales but is it because of safety or just better value proposition by Tata Motors in that segment? This still remains a question.

Moreover, GNCAP is an independent agency that is doing such tests and Indian Govt is still deciding on do we need BNVSAP or not. If yes there is a debate on 56kmph or 64kmph.

It's sad to know to be a country that has huge potential for the automotive market but poor safety standards.
amitahirrao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks