Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2019, 06:09   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2019 Global NCAP crash tests - Ertiga, WagonR, Santro & Redigo

What is the use of scoring a single star or a double star? You can't even talk about it or use it for any marketing purpose. In fact you are telling your customers that you are only one star safe. I have a question! Tata Nexon is at the top with 5 Stars, (now for 13 months running unchallenged). The New Tata Nexon with minor model changes is coming in 2020. Will it have to undergo the same tests again to reconfirm its position?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:27   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
Disappointed with performance of Santro. Our official review has gone gaga over the quality of Santro comparing to others from same segment. Yet another proof that 'your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them'. This should be considered as an eye opener for Indian customers. We shouldn't go for aesthetically pleasing product alone. Great refinement, fit and finish and all the bling shouldn't be the only benchmark for purchasing a car. The fact that even humble Eon scored two stars without airbag scares me. Sorry for all the harsh words. Felt bad as I have recommended Santro to multiple people.
Eon did not score any stars. In fact, you may feel a little better about the Santro if you watch GNCAP's videos of testing both these cars - Santro's passenger compartment remained pretty much intact. Moreover, you should take solace that you have recommended a good car in its segment. As far as I can recall even its pricier sibling Grand i10 fared poorly in crash tests.
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:32   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Tata Nexon went from 4 to 5 stars without any structural changes at all. It just made ISOFIX standard, removed auto door locks and such subtle configuration & feature standardization differences & became 5 star.
Isn't auto door locks a safety feature? Why should removing it improve the score?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
The entire list has been published, what I fail to understand is that Why Fido is rated 0 whilst Aspire is a 3 Star Rated ??
Attachment 1929268
Polo scores 4 stars? Every VW sales person starts his pitch uaing "it's a 5 star safety rating car".

The Zest scoring 4 stars is remarkable. Hasn't been publicized and appreciated enough, if at all. That wouldn't have made much difference to the sale charts thought. Most would still buy dzire over zest.

Last edited by pseudo_coder : 2nd November 2019 at 07:38.
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:44   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
The WagonR and Santro’s results are disappointing, but as expected.

What really disappointed me was the Ertiga. It’s not exactly a cheap car. If the similarly priced Brezza can get a stable crash structure, why can’t the Ertiga? And to think of it, this ‘family car’ with an unstable structure was crowned the Indian Car of The Year! One can now see why the 4-star Marazzo costs more.
May be the answer lies in your question itself - Ertiga is compromising on structural integrity in order to offer a lot more real estate than the similarly priced Brezza. A 7-seater MPV almost at the price of a 5-seater compact SUV - some corner cutting is inevitable.
k_kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 08:32   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Isn't auto door locks a safety feature? Why should removing it improve the score?
Auto door locks is not a "crash" safety feature that GNCAP rates. As per NCAP, if a car has auto (speed sensing) door locks, they should also unlock automatically in case of an accident. Apparently there were issues in the unlock part which were not fixed in 100% cases and had bugs. I refuse to buy that, I suspect they used this opportunity to save a few bucks and also make the car have some feature less than the higher trim Harrier for premium segment distinguishing. No cane no flute type of a solution.

The Tiago/Tigor are also getting their BCM updated to remove the auto door locks because they are also aspiring for 5 star GNCAP rating. Solid build and safety performance is the USP pitch for TML decisively. Let's see how the market receives that.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 09:10   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
What really disappointed me was the Ertiga. It’s not exactly a cheap car. If the similarly priced Brezza can get a stable crash structure, why can’t the Ertiga?
The difference lies in the platform on which the Ertiga and Vitara Brezza is based upon.

Ertiga uses the lightweight HEARTECT platform which is shared with the WagonR, Ignis, Swift and Baleno. No wonder Ertiga feels light just like its hatchback siblings.
While Vitara Brezza uses the Suzuki's global C-platform.

From our official review of Vitara Brezza:
Quote:
The Vitara Brezza is based on Suzuki's global C-platform, which it shares with the full-sized Vitara. Nope, it's not based on the new Baleno platform as work on the Vitara Brezza started before the Baleno's platform was even ready. One look at the kerb weight and you'd know it. While the Baleno is lightweight, for a sub-4 meter Maruti, the Vitara Brezza is on the heavier side. At 1,170 kg (1,195 for the top variant), it's just 10 kg lighter than the S-Cross DDiS 200. The Dzire, with a similar footprint weighs 1,050 kg, while the Baleno diesel tips the scales at just 960 kg. The SUV's structure uses high-tensile steel. Maruti says this is the first car to be certified for the Indian offset & side impact crash tests that are coming in 2017.
I'd say Vitara Brezza is one car to grab if you need a long lasting as well as a safe Maruti in your garage. Hope it comes in petrol as soon as possible. It will be my pick over the Swift and Baleno.
Sherlocked is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 22:18   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Surely Maruti has the in house engineering expertise to know what score they would achieve when the Ertiga and Wagon R cars were tested. I strongly suspect Maruti has costing simulators built on analytical models that would show the increasing cost they would incur for engineering their platforms to be more safe against the corresponding increase in sales from safer cars. We as customers need to be a lot more discerning with our money when it comes to automobile safety.

Hyundai on the other hand, is a far more interesting story because just this month, one of India's leading automotive publications has run a story on their joint partnership with Hyundai for a safety campaign. The magazine has mentioned how Hyundai has made sure that "safety was well rooted in it's DNA right from the beginning". This however fails to explains how the i20 lost two stars when it became the Elite i20. It also leaves the low score of the new Santro as a major contradiction to this supposedly well entrenched Hyundai DNA.

The article also made a special note of how "their structural rigidity and solid build quality is very reassuring - especially on our chaotic and unpredictable roads.". Maybe the Global NCAP report which calls the structure of the Santro, unstable, will open the eyes of the magazine team and result in some much needed introspection.
neil.jericho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 06:02   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
one of India's leading automotive publications has run a story on their joint partnership with Hyundai for a safety campaign. The magazine has mentioned how Hyundai has made sure that "safety was well rooted in it's DNA right from the beginning".

The article also made a special note of how "their structural rigidity and solid build quality is very reassuring - especially on our chaotic and unpredictable roads.".
These are usually paid PR campaigns to build perceptions and sway the uninformed customers.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:31   #54
Senior - BHPian

My unpopular opinion would be that, all the cars have better than expected overall structure compared to the previous zero star cars that made headlines world wide.

Problem with these two and one star cars seems to be bad seat and seatbelt design! Dummy seems to be throw around a lot than expected.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 18:53   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
These are usually paid PR campaigns to build perceptions and sway the uninformed customers.
Without question! Every month, the same magazine has a number of pages dedicated to "Special Features" which is basically a tie up with different manufacturers to feature their cars being driven to different parts of the country.
Old 3rd November 2019, 19:53   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki Ertiga gets 3 star in Global NCAP tests, Suzuki Maruti WagonR, Hyundai Santro and the Datsun Redigo were too tested.
It's a shame that a 7 seater MPV has performed poorly in the Global NCAP test. Heartect platform has performed very poorly with respect to safety. Let's hope that Maruti move to a new platform for their next generation cars and ditch the poor Heartect platform

What's even more scary is that the supposedly "premium" XL6 would have similar performance with respect to safety.

Maruti - Pull your socks up and improve the safety of your cars.
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 21:48   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
What's even more scary is that the supposedly "premium" XL6 would have similar performance with respect to safety.
I wonder whether there are subtle structural differences between Ertiga and XL6. Maruti claims that XL6 has "Suzuki-TECT" body but does not mention so for Ertiga. TECT may or may not improve safety for XL6 as we know that GNAP found the TECT body of African spec Ignis unstable.
Old 3rd November 2019, 22:07   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_kumar View Post
I wonder whether there are subtle structural differences between Ertiga and XL6. Maruti claims that XL6 has "Suzuki-TECT" body but does not mention so for Ertiga. TECT may or may not improve safety for XL6 as we know that GNAP found the TECT body of African spec Ignis unstable.
This is what I had posted regarding the differences between XL6 and Ertiga.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4654699 (Maruti Suzuki to launch a premium MPV. Update: XL6 launched @ Rs. 9.80 lakhs)

Even I was curious to know what earned the XL6 SUZUKI-TECT badge which all NEXA cars get and only Vitara Brezza gets in the Arena lineup. I'm not sure what difference the different panels and members would have but I'm hoping it has a positive effect over the Ertiga.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 09:28   #59
Team-BHP Support

Re: Global NCAP launches the sixth round of #SaferCarsForIndia crash test results

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTitan47 View Post
Can anyone explain who selects the cars to be tested in GNCAP?
It works both ways. GNCAP picks up cars as per market relevance, and also manufacturers can choose to sponsor their cars and get them tested as well.

In both cases, the actual car is picked up by the NCAP body from the open market.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 11:04   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Maruti - Pull your socks up and improve the safety of your cars.
Problem is lack of awareness in average buyers & segments of cars. This is what I feel overall -
  1. Maruti is fully entitled to sell whatever cars they want to sell. Nothing wrong if they sell cars that score 0 on GNCAP.
  2. Customers should choose what their priorities are before buying a car.
  3. If safety on high speeds is a requirement, they MUST have GNCAP performance in their list of requirements.
  4. We shouldn't expect Maruti to sell an Alto or similar car with 5 Star GNCAP rating. Not possible at the cost at which these cars sell.
  5. But as customers, we shouldn't then buy these cars to do 120kmph on a highway.
  6. Its fine to buy a lower safety rated car if its going to be used exclusively in the confines of a crowded city for running errands in jam packed lanes and roads. 5 or 0 stars won't make a difference.
  7. As long as people make calculated buying decisions, sales figures will reflect the same. When Maruti sees customer preference shifting & sales sliding, they'll start making cars that perform better on GNCAP. They already do - Brezza for instance is good!
  8. Its not just Maruti. Hyundai has done poorly with the Santro too. So it all applies to all car makers really.

We saying car makers should improve is still from a fraction of the customer base. Education is still needed. Its good that initiatives like GNCAP are now bringing that awareness in customers. In another few years, safety will be a very important factor in people's mind. Thankfully.

Most Viewed