Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2020, 06:16   #226
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Thanks for the update. This pic was in the newspapers - is that representational or the actual flyover today.
Attachment 1953335
Yep. Thats how it is actually. Also, those rumble strips you see are super thick and are like mini speed breakers themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriharsha_m87 View Post
Ironically there are two two wheelers riding in the middle lane not meant for them and a car creeping into the two wheeler only lane.
People never learn do they. We were driving in the middle lane and cars, bikes and SUVs were zig zagging across all lanes trying to get ahead. Reminds me of a saying 'We Indians are always in a hurry, but never ON time.'

Last edited by racer_ash : 5th January 2020 at 06:37.
racer_ash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 11:11   #227
BHPian

Re: Massive Polo GTI accident in Hyderabad - Falls off a flyover!

I was in Hyderabad on 2nd January. The fly over was closed and the board says a generic statement - repair works are going on.

Any idea why it was closed after being opened? Any new things being setup on flyover?
Old 6th January 2020, 11:36   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvasista View Post
I was in Hyderabad on 2nd January. The fly over was closed and the board says a generic statement - repair works are going on.

Any idea why it was closed after being opened? Any new things being setup on flyover?
Posts #222 and #223 in this thread describe the changes on that flyover. Looks like with the number of obstacles on that bridge, they don't expect any more to fly over that bridge.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 13:04   #229
Team-BHP Support

The Flyover has reopened with some changes.
Lots of speed breakers, camera's and also a bunch of loudspeakers playing prerecorded messages asking everyone to follow the speed limit.

Its a bone jarring ride but that is the price we all have to pay for safety!

bblost is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 13:48   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Traffic situation hasn't improved after this flyover was opened. Rather it has created a bottle neck where the flyover meets the road, towards IKEA. Earlier, the traffic lights controlled the amount of traffic going right from Wells Fargo towards IKEA. Now this remains unchecked.

Today, I was coming from Gachibowli and took a left a Biodiversity junction. It was a chaos after taking this turn. Three roads are merging there - one from behind Nissan showroom, one in front the showroom (free left at the junction which I took) and then the flyover. This creates a serious bottleneck, with commuters creating multiple lanes and trying to scurry across the roads. There are plastic separators segregating the flyover road from the road below but the bikers find space to squeeze through the poles and try to cross the lanes. It took me around 10 mins just to cross this stretch and reach IKEA.

Last edited by ashis89 : 6th January 2020 at 13:51.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 15:25   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
There are plastic separators segregating the flyover road from the road below but the bikers find space to squeeze through the poles and try to cross the lanes. It took me around 10 mins just to cross this stretch and reach IKEA.
True. This is my daily commute route. Noticed significant increase in time to cross that stretch from Bio-diversity signal to Ikea post the installation of plastic separators(last week). I am hoping they extend the road a little towards the left, either ways the plastic separators will be crushed by water tankers or other heavy CV's sooner or later.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 23:33   #232
BHPian

When i see people complaining about the flyover design and not the driver, i am reminded of the saying by my old boss.

The developers/software guys kept on making mistakes and i need to add more control and process. When my boss came to know about it, he just told me this.

"You cannot control stupidity by process".

The guy who drove so fast is really stupid/ignorant.

Lets assume the flyover design is fabulous. There is a high chance that he might have collided with a slower moving car ahead. What are we going to say about this?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th January 2020 at 12:44. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
vennarbank is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 10:31   #233
BHPian

I see the surname of the brainless moron driver is Kalvakuntla. That's the same surname as the current CM of Telangana. If they are related he might end up going free
Old 10th January 2020, 10:55   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post
Lets assume the flyover design is fabulous. There is a high chance that he might have collided with a slower moving car ahead. What are we going to say about this?
I would dare say that people would have blamed the low speed limit enforced on the flyover as the cause!!
Old 26th February 2020, 23:43   #235
BHPian

This is a recent article that questions the design of the flyover.

However, speaking to the media, India Vice-President and Infrastructure Expert of Structural Engineers World Congress, Dr S.P. Anchuri said: “The structure is strong and durable but is very poorly designed. The increase and decrease of speed on a straight road will not affect the stability of a vehicle but when you have a curve and the vehicle is at high speed, there is a huge risk of skidding. There are two S-type curves, one after another within a very short distance on the Biodiversity flyover that are very risky. Even the 40km/h speed limit can be handled only by experienced drivers.”

Dr K M Lakshmana Rao, professor of transportation engineering at Jawaharlal Nehru Technical University, Hyderabad said there is a major fault with the alignment of the flyover. “For every curve, there should be a transitional curve which is missing,” added Dr Rao. “The starting point of the vertical gradient itself has been wrongly chosen. The location of ascent is too short and should be extended. There is supposed to be spacing between these two curves and this lack of this spacing leads to accidents. Also, the inner radius and the outer radius of the horizontal curve is non-symmetrical. If you let the driver opt for the inner curve, it leads to a higher risk of such accidents. There are multiple planning faults, and it should be rectified by providing higher railings with road safety rollers. It is unsafe even at 40km/h.”

“I personally feel that the flyover design wasn’t well thought out,” said K Kiran Chandra, a local resident. “You don’t anticipate cars flying off the flyovers if the roads are designed properly. The two curves in quick succession seem to be the issue.”

Some experts said that spatial dimensions and geometric alignment required for safe travel are completely lacking.

Fatal accidents on Hyderabad’s Biodiversity Park flyover raise questions over its design

Most Viewed