Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2019, 07:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystriker View Post
There definitely needs to be higher barriers on that specific downhill turn.
A higher barrier would have either launched the car higher or still have caused deaths on the flyover itself. When we have super idiots who carelessly drive at 100+ kph on flyovers, sad solution is to generously sprinkle speed breakers on the flyover
deetee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 07:21   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
A higher barrier would have either launched the car higher or still have caused deaths on the flyover itself.
Not a conventional one, but something you see on racing circuit.
(Not sure what they're called)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
When we have super idiots who carelessly drive at 100+ kph on flyovers, sad solution is to generously sprinkle speed breakers on the flyover
I feel like the GTI's overly sporty reputation is also somewhat responsible for this. Well not responsible, but it definitely somehow led to this.

Someone who is new to the feeling of performance cars might think that it handles godly (as compared to the budget cars we get in India), when in actuality its probably occupies the lowest echelon of performance cars. I have heard that it has good mechanical grip at low speeds but that's all.

I strongly feel people who buy cars with the intent of driving a "sporty" car/actually driving fast, need to go to performance driving schools and learn car control, learn how to deal with speed, learn what the car at the limit or above is telling you.
Attached Thumbnails
Massive Polo GTI accident in Hyderabad - Falls off a flyover!-doverinternationalspeedwayjpg_4416294_ver10.jpg  

Last edited by raystriker : 24th November 2019 at 07:31.
raystriker is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 08:19   #18
BHPian

I heard that there are automatic speed cams already doing jobs on the flyover, maybe overspeeding drivers skin is too thick with money to feel the challan prick. Eventually their bones and cars have to be shuddered with speed breakers to bring in some civic sense. Sadly those speed breakers will hurt every other road user too
Old 24th November 2019, 08:48   #19
BHPian

If one thought that vehicles don't drop from the sky, this is an example that such do occur. The blame squarely rests on the driver of the car and any punishment wouldn't be too much. Knowing the capabilities of the car, road and their own ability to drive is key to safety, not only to themselves but to others around them as well.
swissknife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 08:53   #20
BHPian

Massive GTI accident in Hyderabad

Yesterday a red VW Polo GTI breached the side barrier of the biodiversity flyover at high speed and fell to the ground below killing a woman waiting at the bus stop below. The car is completely mangled but the driver has escaped with injuries.

https://www.news18.com/amp/news/indi...h-2397833.html
Attached Thumbnails
Massive Polo GTI accident in Hyderabad - Falls off a flyover!-fb_img_1574565407679.jpg  

Massive Polo GTI accident in Hyderabad - Falls off a flyover!-fb_img_1574565412871.jpg  

niteshbids is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 09:05   #21
BHPian

re: Massive Polo GTI accident in Hyderabad - Falls off a flyover!

Yeah I watched videos of this crash, it was just horrible to look at. The car was clearly over speeding at an estimated 104kmph, there is a steep turn on which he lost control and hit the curb on the left and the car just flew over. Just reckless.

I feel so sorry for the person killed and others injured. Some of them got really lucky.
sweetvar26 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 09:12   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Video:
https://www.ndtv.com/hyderabad-news/...home-topscroll

Really sad to see this. Driver got lucky the car landed on the rear
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 09:39   #23
BHPian

No one standing below the flyover could ever imagine any vehicle falling over them, this was really tragic. The driver miraculously survived partly due to the superb build quality of the VW car, if it was any other car the result could've been different for the driver. The driver over-estimated the capabilities of the car and his driving skills resulting in this fatal crash.
Really sad for the loss of life, RIP.
Old 24th November 2019, 09:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Heart felt condolences for the poor lady who lost her life for no fault of her's. She was simply waiting for an auto and it was a unfortunate tragedy that such a simple act of waiting on the footpath can cause death. Life is so unpredictable.

If one were to see the bridge, it appears the side wall are not very high which may have contributed to the car jumping off the side considering the Polo is low slung and not like a tall SUV. I would prefer to see rubber rumble type strips installed just before the curve to slow down errant drivers if nothing else can be done to prevent such fatalities.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 09:50   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Regarding the Hyderabad flyover accident, was looking at another video of the accident to analyse what exactly happened and where the driver lost control.

You can see the flyover has a concretised road and is quite bumpy. See the way the cars are bobbing when they pass over the joints. You can see the car jumps over the first bump but is still in control, but right after the road stripes, the car gets air time right at the time the road curves. The driver loses all braking ability as there is nothing in contact with the road. And then it's just too late.
Santoshbhat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 10:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
You can see the flyover has a concretised road and is quite bumpy. See the way the cars are bobbing when they pass over the joints.
I think bumps at joints are common in most flyovers, if not all. Here the driver was too fast, and all responsibility squarely on him. I hope adequate punishment is served with evidence police already have.
Attached Thumbnails
Massive Polo GTI accident in Hyderabad - Falls off a flyover!-c2.jpg  

airbus is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 10:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

As I have mentioned to others I feel people often overestimate the abilities of stock tyres and underestimate the importance of remaining in lower gears while maintaining fine throttle input and often completely overlook the fact that traction levels drastically vary depending on the surface; concrete surface on this flyover equals far less traction than one can expect on asphalt. Even with his speed in consideration, I still feel that had the driver been atleast in 3rd gear before the turn, the car would have remained controllable. We seriously need stricter enforcement on the issue of licenses and also perhaps a tier based license system. I for one would definitely not want to have to stick to a lowly 40kph speed limit, but clearly some folks are not fit to go above that
IshaanIan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 10:30   #28
BHPian

Reckless driving. I hope the lady who lost her life did not have any children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
If one were to see the bridge, it appears the side wall are not very high which may have contributed to the car jumping off the side ......
Same thoughts here. There should've be railings. I remember when the flyover in Adyar, Chennai was opened the corporation bus drivers simply refused to ply over them for the same reason, especially at the Adyar junction where it takes a sharp turn towards LB road. The corporation stood with the drivers, and they were routed under the flyover. Not sure how it is now. A lower wall is aesthetically appealing, but we have far too many morons behind wheels.
2cents is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 10:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
but we have far too many morons behind wheels.
Irrespective of what we do, still it will be difficult to make everything idiot proof. So, easy solution here might be multiple speed breakers
Old 24th November 2019, 10:48   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the video on WA and the driver was seriously over-speeding. To be honest a lot of vehicles that went by earlier in the video were also over speeding but this was going much faster still. There is just no justification for this and the death of the women below should be treated as murder and the guy put behind bars. Such blatant disregard of the traffic laws need to be handled with an iron hand to make people follow the rules. And even though most people will disagree with me but the authorities need to put in some sharp breakers on that flyover. That is the only way we will learn and reduce speeds. I see such breakers on many flyovers in Delhi and I think until we can ensure better road infrastructure and driving etiquette, these are the only concrete options left.
drmohitg is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks