Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2019, 10:52   #31
BHPian

re: Massive Polo GTI accident in Hyderabad - Falls off a flyover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Reckless driving. I hope the lady who lost her life did not have any children.

She did. Her daughter was there along with her and got injured.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 11:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

I believe the median height needs to be increased. The local people were complaining that the curve is sharp and two, median height is less. The driver escaped with injuries, but one lady lost her life and 6 people are in hospital. The GTI can do insane speeds and you feel really cocooned in its shell, but the driver should have been a bit cautious on bends

Last edited by Vid6639 : 24th November 2019 at 12:13. Reason: TSI changed to GTI
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 11:15   #33
BHPian

Same spot on the same day, at night time, a biker fell. That video is also on WA. Not sharing here for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Avinash_R : 24th November 2019 at 11:16. Reason: Added details
Avinash_R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 11:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

I feel it was doing more than 104kmh. First off, it is interesting know how they came to that figure and the video of the car going up the ramp seems sped up.

For the car understeer at the curve, it should have been way more than 104kmh, I feel. Moreover, if the driver knew that flyover well and still wanted to speed since he saw an empty stretch,he should have taken a better line and slowed down for the curve.
Not that I am encouraging speeding on public roads, atleast he could have saved this bad episode.

The sign board that fell below just missing a girl, shows that there was proper signage too.

Last edited by tharian : 24th November 2019 at 11:38.
tharian is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 11:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
Same spot on the same day, at night time, a biker fell. That video is also on WA.
Was it yesterday? Official statement from Cyberabad Traffic Police mentioned it was on 10 Nov and two youths stopped dangerously for taking selfies.

Massive Polo GTI accident in Hyderabad - Falls off a flyover!-b2db9b35371848e2897fb4d6862c2424.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I feel it was doing more than 104kmh. First off, it is interesting know how they came to that figure and the video of the car going up the ramp seems sped up.
From the speed cam captures it appears he covered 295 metres in 10 seconds, that is roughly 106 kmph.

Massive Polo GTI accident in Hyderabad - Falls off a flyover!-c2.jpg

Last edited by airbus : 24th November 2019 at 11:49.
airbus is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 11:58   #36
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
another CCTV footage from the flyover.
Yea, it's annoying to see the lack of maturity even when folks have gone over 25-years and driving about with no concern for potential consequences of their action.

Guess one way to enforce speed limits for such people would be to have well marked and forewarned speed-breakers installed.

Unnecessary damage to life and property.
Old 24th November 2019, 12:01   #37
BHPian

This is terrible.
I remember reading about this yesterday night - apparently this flyover just got inaugurated last month and has already seen 2 fatal accidents. People on Twitter were also blaming the design - the curve is quite sharp and the median needs to be higher.

However the blame is to be squarely on the driver for going at such high speeds. People need to stop driving like maniacs
Shreyas_H is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 12:01   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post

In the image, yellow 'x' marks the spot the Polo came crashing down, driving up from the bottom side. The flyover is one way.
Although it is the fault of the driver, I wonder if that steep curve could have been avoided:
Attached Thumbnails
Massive Polo GTI accident in Hyderabad - Falls off a flyover!-imarkup_20191124_115745.jpg  

CarNerd is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 12:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely tragic. So many innocent lives are lost with no fault of theirs.

Old 24th November 2019, 12:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post

From the speed cam captures it appears he covered 295 metres in 10 seconds, that is roughly 106 kmph
From the screenshot you posted, it looks like that speed trap was much before the flyover 'up ramp' clip. Provided the Grand i10 in both the screenshot and the video clip are the same cars.
In the video, the Grand I10 comes into the frame after the Polo had landed. I feel he had picked up way more speed than 106 kmh in that distance.The reason I feel so is, it is unlikely a GTI will understeer easily at a 100.

Last edited by tharian : 24th November 2019 at 12:20.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 12:28   #41
BHPian

One more problem seems to be the design of the flyover itself. If you look at the curve, there seems to be a negative banking which is dangerous in itself.
octane_100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 12:29   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
From the screenshot you posted, it looks like that speed trap was much before the flyover 'up ramp' clip. Provided the Grand i10 in both the screenshot and the video clip are the same cars.
In the video, the Grand I10 comes into the frame after the Polo had landed. I feel he had picked up way more speed than 106 kmh in that distance.The reason I feel so is, it is unlikely a GTI will understeer easily at a 100.
It didn't understeer, it lost grip and steering. The flyover you can see has a bumpy surface.

Just before the turn the Polo hits the undulation and you see it lifts up completely. After that the driver is a passenger cause the tyres are not loaded with the car's weight which means no steering, no braking and no ESP to kick in and brake.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 24th November 2019 at 12:47.
Vid6639 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 13:56   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Although it is the fault of the driver, I wonder if that steep curve could have been avoided:
I disagree. Since there is a park there, u might be saying that the flyover could've been built over it. What if there is some building in place of the park. Then, obviously, that option will not be there.
In Internet, everyone is bashing the design of the flyover. I'm not an expert, but, there is right turn at the junction. How can the curve be avoided there?
I've seen a lot of ORR ramps in Hyd with such similar curves (some even more). I feel the only culprit here is overspeeding, and, since this is second such in incident on that flyover, everyone is happy to blame the design of the flyover, rather than blaming the idiotic drivers.
However, to avoid such incidents, unfortunately, we might need speed breakers for curved flyovers as well.
On Bangalore-Hyderabad highway, just before Kurnool, there is a flyover, where such similar bend (even more curvy) is there. There are 2-3 continous speed breakers just before that curve, where I had to brake hard (at 70+ speed). Initially, I thought, why these idiots have put speed breakers on a flyover. But, I've later realised that it is a very steep curve. I'm pretty sure, if not for those speed breakers, a lot of accidents will happen there also.
rajendra2278 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 14:08   #44
BHPian

Re: Massive Polo GTI accident in Hyderabad - Falls off a flyover!

It looked like a big cannon ball that came hurtling down, only those onlookers know how much of a terrifying sight it was. Their hearts must have skipped a beat.
What if such an incident had happened while crossing a river?
The car and its occupants would have been washed away becoming untraceable.
Incidents like these highlight the fact that most of the bridges or flyover do not have barriers big enough to prevent vehicles from falling off.
It is high time we stay within our limits and try not to drive at the limit, especially when above ground level.
People should be made to understand the consequences and be trained to drive defensively.
Abhinav V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 14:33   #45
BHPian

Re: Massive Polo GTI accident in Hyderabad - Falls off a flyover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

If one were to see the bridge, it appears the side wall are not very high which may have contributed to the car jumping off the side considering the Polo is low slung and not like a tall SUV. I would prefer to see rubber rumble type strips installed just before the curve to slow down errant drivers if nothing else can be done to prevent such fatalities.
There is about 1 ft high steel railing above the concrete railing. There are rumble strips installed before the curve too. Those strips are intended to warn drivers of the curve but in this case the car is too fast going over the strips to be controlled in time. Close shots show that it glazed the railing before going off the flyover. It is not a head on hit and topple.
deetee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks