Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2019, 14:30   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Massive Polo GTI accident in Hyderabad - Falls off a flyover!

The blame lies squarely on the driver of the car. Let us not debate that. The bridge design could be a contributor to the incident, but no way is it squarely responsible for it.

There is a similar 90-degree one way flyover in Mumbai (albeit smaller). The Suman Nagar flyover, comes up on your left after a long fast stretch (pretty rare for Mumbai) and its not hard to start climbing it at good speeds. However, haven't come across anyone flying off it, or even hitting the barricade. Such bridges, though not the best in terms of design, are built so as to minimise the traffic and disruption during the construction phase. Plus, encroaching on nearby plots won't be feasible due to high real estate costs.

Name:  Screen Shot 20191125 at 2.25.10 PM.png
Views: 3255
Size:  540.3 KB

PS - I use this bridge almost 3-4 times a week and at different times of the day (traffic density).

Last edited by blackwasp : 25th November 2019 at 14:33.
blackwasp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 14:39   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
A sensible limit of 60 or 70 kmph can be strictly enforced - with a 40 kmph limit, you will fine everyone for a few days, and then give up on the fines - until the next accident.
Well, I think there was no speed limit initially. But, after the first accident (2 guys taking selfies on the flyover were hit by a car), they seem to have implemented it. Still, as u said, 40kmph is ridiculous. A realistic 60-70 would be better.
I've driven on this flyover some 10 days ago. At that time, I didn't notice this speed limit warning. I wonder where it is placed . Next time, I've to be wary of these speed limit signs.
In Hyd, except the ORR, I never saw speed limit signs anywhere else. May be, having speed limits specific to some flyovers (or some stretches) is the new norm. Have to look for them from now on.
Old 25th November 2019, 15:05   #108
BHPian

From the pic, I cannot see even a bit of banking at such a sharp curve. Even a single lane village road in Tamil Nadu has much better banking on curves. I agree, it is not designed for speed. But banking should be done based on the curvature angle too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I believe these flyovers are built for free flow of traffic by avoiding signal. If you see the picture, height is more because one more flyover is being built below for traffic going straight.

Attachment 1938506
opendro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 15:11   #109
BHPian

After watching the CCTV footage and accident spot pictures, I am deeply sadden with precious life being lost without any fault of her. This is classic example of bad engineered road in India. There is no engineering application with respect to safety applied while designing such bridges. It is a concrete pavement road with sharp turn. The tyres do not grip well with concrete pavement and with such sharp turn it is inevitable for accident.

This is clearly misadventure by driver of the polo car who was driving with such insane speed without thinking of it’s consequences. Any 5 star safety rating car you drive but if are not obeying the rules, the end result will be only like this.

Last edited by sandeepsc : 25th November 2019 at 15:18. Reason: spelling correction
sandeepsc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 15:13   #110
BHPian

It's really interesting to see comments on Curve angle, speed limiter signs etc. I am just wondering why would someone sane need a speed limiter sign board to negotiate such a curve at all !! The most basic sense has to kick in if you are driving in such a place. For the sake of your own life you gotta slow down. Isn't it ? What for the mother of all holy saints I missing here ?? I drive daily on this flyover, for at least 2 times, and I never needed a sign board. There are speed breakers though low ones, which are still enough to irritate me and my car, and to slow me down for the love I have for my machine. Why would anyone need a sky scrapper as a speed breaker ! Yeah they are still but needed for these reckless scumbags. But then hey, will they still mind ? Will they care ? I bet no. The flyover goes real uphill and yet someone wanted to have fun with such speed over a steep uphill. These are deliberate actions and What more will stop these mindless idiots ?

I just feel so sad for those innocent pedestrians who didn't see it coming and either lost their lives or got hurt in this case.

Last edited by JBIBS : 25th November 2019 at 15:13. Reason: Spelling
JBIBS is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 15:14   #111
BHPian

I am living in Hyderabad now, and this flyover is the trending topic for conversation for everyone. And everyone is blaming the government and TRS and KTR and whatnot for the 2 accidents in the last one week.

2 accidents caused by one drunk driver and one overspeeding driving. And suddenly everyone's an expert in road design.
pavanmadhini is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 15:47   #112
BHPian

Frankly, I find it amusing that there’s so much debate on the possible causes for this accident.

There’s only one as far as I am concerned. An inconsiderate, entitled, arrogant and reckless fool ended up behind the steering wheel of a relatively powerful automobile (in the Indian context), and someone else had to pay the price, sadly.

No if’s, and no buts.
Pequod is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 16:03   #113
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Clearly a case of over speeding and losing control. News

Here is another CCTV footage from the flyover.
Is it just me or does it look like a case of street racing gone wrong? The SUV that is following the Polo (Creta?) is being driven very haphazardly, is speeding and also cuts off the other vehicle (sedan) quite nastily. Whatever the matter, it's sad that innocents had to suffer, on ground and in the car too

Last edited by vb-saan : 25th November 2019 at 16:56. Reason: Video link removed from the quoted part for better readability
Old 25th November 2019, 16:19   #114
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_babushka View Post
The SUV that is following the Polo (Creta?) is being driven very haphazardly, is speeding and also cuts off the other vehicle (sedan) quite nastily.
- That's normal driving in Hyderabad.
keith2524 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 17:12   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

For all those speed-thirsty drivers and riders :

India is what it is, you cannot win. This has been proven time and again. Enough discussions of road design, flyover design, tarmac smoothness etc.. stop thinking of signals as the chequered flag start, stop thinking of turns as track chicanes and for once be mature enough to understand that now, the speeding laws have been made for a reason. Obey them.

I'd say every major city should have a 4-5 km long track with charges per lap time so that the speed devils can quench their thirst for pushing a pedal as long ad they wish, leaving the roads safer.

A horrible accident and all people can talk about are tyre compounds, handling, potency of the car, driving ability, poor design of flyover etc, really? Once the manhood measuring stops I hope we realize that the fault is 1000% of the driver and unfortunately he made someone else pay the price.
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 17:30   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
Design flaw of having sharp turn without proper warning sign will not stop such bizarre accidents.

Speeding automobiles is bound to happen in India, but where are the warnings of "sharp turn ahead" to warn the drivers?

Our authorities are never bothered to value presence of sign boards to save human lives.

See below, the same kind of 80 degree sharp turn fly over at NHAI Karur-Trichy bye pass junction at Dindigul , TN. Its a serious design flaw, wherein lots of space was available at the sides. Initially, this flyover was death trap for many drivers who were unfamiliar about this bend. Later after so many series of accident, one involving a famous local politician, NHAI took steps to have multiple warnings signs of speed limit boards, strobe lights, small and continuous speed breakers, rumble-strips, barricades well ahead of this turn are now maintaining safety of drivers.

It has been posted many a times in our forum itself.

Attachment 1938833

Attachment 1938834

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4231674
Attachment 1938836

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4037138

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4037121
Yes, I've noticed this too. This turn really catches newbies off guard. Not to mention the stupid two wheelers darting right into the left from the right and vice versa.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 17:38   #117
BHPian

The driver of the vehicle is Mr Kalvakuntla Krishna Milan Rao, CEO and co-founder of Empow-er Labs, which dubs itself as “India’s first augmented reality gaming company”. He is also the most exciting F1 prospect since Hamilton. Rumours are he may be offered a contract with a top team after being discharged from the hospital. The victim's lawyer has found a serious flaw in the GTI wherein it manifests loss of control when driven in excess of 100 kmph on a 40 kmph stretch. Efforts are on to sue the government for construction of a substandard flyover in spite of the victim paying his taxes & expecting a 200 kmph flyover. The small matter of a woman fatality will be settled by Gandhi's power. Bail will be granted to the victim in the hospital itself & there will be no requirement of him attending any of the hearings, thus enabling him to focus on his future career in F1.
superbad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 17:46   #118
BHPian

I think, people are too emotionally charged to see all angles of the problem.

We all try to expect the unexpected. But at the end of the day, we all try to see a pattern in everything we see and follow the safe limits. No matter how much you follow the rules or how careful or slow you are, there can always be a scenario which takes you by surprise. Otherwise, we don't need road signs or lane markings or speed breakers or men at work signs.

Fully agreed, this case is a case of over-speeding and insanity. But, preventing accidents should also be part of the design. Otherwise, it is like saying that "a clear sign saying No Explosives and applicable punishment for offenders should be sufficient for any safety of an aircraft, no need for security checks".
opendro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 18:09   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

I am disappointed in the naming and shaming of the driver of the Polo. May he who doth live in a glass house not hurl stones...

Who among us has really led a truly guilt-free existence? So many of us like to drive at high triple digit speeds; what's not to say that one of us isn't a potential killer? If not anytime soon, then at some point in the future you could very well end up killing someone on the road. How would you want to be treated then?

And I have had my moments of stupidity - I fully admit to it. Thankfully, no one had to pay with their life because I was acting stupidly. But just because I acted stupidly in those lone moments, does that make me stupid all the time? No!

Anyway, thankfully - our law is far wiser than massed crowds with pitchforks. Civil and Criminal laws exist separately. Even in Criminal cases where pre-meditated intent to kill is apparent, the principle of reformative justice is applied. Punishment that fits the crime is meted out. I would rather place my faith in the law than side with a crowd carrying pitchforks. Assuming that the legal process isn't tampered with, let the Polo's driver go through his journey and pay the price he deserves to. If at first he manages to get away with it, I hope that enough review petitions are filed to ensure that he is brought to justice.
locusjag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 18:20   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
He should have been on the left side of the road and cut the apex tight to have made it out of the turn.
I beg to differ, this is not a F1 track. What he should have really done is driven at a speed that allows him to stay in the lane that he is in.

Last edited by shifu : 25th November 2019 at 18:21.
shifu is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks