Team-BHP - Massive Polo GTI accident in Hyderabad - Falls off a flyover!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Massive Polo GTI accident in Hyderabad - Falls off a flyover! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/215936-massive-polo-gti-accident-hyderabad-falls-off-flyover.html)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-IORIYxgHg

Wonder what speeds a low slung car like Polo must have been doing that it just flew off the flyover at a right turn. The occupants are undergoing treatment only because they could have been buckled up and the car had airbags.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharatbits (Post 4698370)
Wonder what speeds a low slung car like Polo must have been doing that it just flew off the flyover at a right turn.

Speed? And... Something stupid. Or careless. Or perhaps just a moment of inattention. Seems like the ultimate price was paid.

A horrific reminder that cars are deadly, and we can be a mere twitch on the steering wheel away from disaster at any time.

Quote:

Wonder what speeds a low slung car like Polo must have been doing that it just flew off the flyover at a right turn.

It's a GTI and was over speeding while this happened, lost control, hit the railing and flew off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 4698378)
Or perhaps just a moment of inattention. Seems like the ultimate price was paid.

And an innocent woman lost her dear life for someone else's carelessness!

Here's the CCTV footage of the incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzAXQbS_C4k

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pferdestarke (Post 4698384)
It's a GTI and was over speeding while this happened, lost control, hit the railing and flew off.

Clearly a case of over speeding and losing control. News

Quote:

A statement put out by the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Cyberabad states that the car was speeding, traveling at 104kmph. “On preliminary investigation, it is found out that the accident was due to the OVERSPEEDING car at 104 kmph instead of prescribed 40 kmph on the flyover,” reads the statement.
Here is another CCTV footage from the flyover.

CCTV

Quote:

Wonder what speeds a low slung car like Polo must have been doing that it just flew off the flyover at a right turn. The occupants are undergoing treatment only because they could have been buckled up and the car had airbags.

Even though the news sites are not really factually accurate in general, reason they attribute can also be arrived by seeing the CCTV video - speeding of the vehicle. Apparently the car was being driven at 104kmph in a 40kmph zone.

Also, the flyover appear to have a concrete road from the video? Most concrete paved roads are not really known for their traction and need to be extra cautious on concrete roads outside the straight as line and gently curved highways.

A speeding car on an overpass with a sharp right turn and a concrete paved road is a recipe for disaster even on the brightest of the days.

This idiot killed an innocent person pursuing his apparent adventure. Hope he rots in jail.

This flyover incident is a worrying example of what Hyderabad may witness in the near future. Most of the flyovers for the SRDP are meant to ease right turns at busy signals across the city. So all flyovers will have the same issue one after the other once opened. This is the second similar incident on the same flyover and its just been a month since this opened.

Sometimes I think we don't deserve flyovers and proper paved roads. We nees potholed roads and hundreds of traffic lights just to control the adrenaline that overflows in us.

Am pretty sure, the next step would be to install speed breakers on the flyover. What a pity!!!

Hope authorities take necessary remedial modifications on the flyover.

#Hyderabad Polo rash driving pics. :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbus (Post 4698389)
Clearly a case of over speeding and losing control.

I had driven on this new flyover just a few days back and i can see why the speed limit is 40kmph. The flyover has a bend that is more or less a 90 degrees curve. As i was driving, my first reaction was "woah, i didn't expect such a sharp continous turn on the flyover. I infact told my wife that people can have accidents here as they would not be expecting such a sharp continous turn.

In the image, yellow 'x' marks the spot the Polo came crashing down, driving up from the bottom side. The flyover is one way.

That's a GTI. Not surprising that the driver was able to build up such speeds over a short open stretch. While the GTI has fantastic brakes, the tyres can give up if pushed beyond their limits. Whatever car, brakes or tyres, this is a clear case of over speeding and not being able to control the ar. Feel sorry for the innocent lives lost.

That looks like a lot more than 104 kph. The driver simply braked too late and carried too much speed into the curve. Probably ABS kicked in after the panic braking and loss of traction. ABS gives you steering ability, but you are unable to shed speed which was what was needed to prevent the car from being tossed over the wall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pferdestarke (Post 4698384)
And an innocent woman lost her dear life for someone else's carelessness!

I'm very sorry to hear that.
Quote:

Here's the CCTV footage of the incident:
That is the most remarkable accident footage I've ever seen: first we see the shadow, then the car meeting its shadow. Sad that it is real.
Quote:

Originally Posted by airbus (Post 4698389)
Clearly a case of over speeding and losing control. ...

Here is another CCTV footage from the flyover.

I suspect that he might have just learned the hardest way not to brake in mid curve.

Relatively powerful car, lack of basic driving skills. I knew someone who freely admitted to learning the same lesson the hard way. Thankfully, only the car died: neither he nor any other person was injured.

Earlier, I said how a moment's inattention can turn our driving into a disaster. Having seen and heard more, I now understand that most of us here do not attempt unskilled speed stunts like that, and we do not play with life in that kind of way.

While feeling sad and helpless for the innocent life lost and those injured plus the damage to the property, the scene looks to be straight out from a thriller movie. The fall was from a pretty good height and luckily there were no crowds in the section of the road down below. And as a result, the casualties and losses are quite a pleasant surprise for such a callously, negligently and rashly driven car at a breakneck speed. The driver needs to be booked for culpable homicide amounting to murder.
Quote:

Homicide is unlawful when the death is caused by an intentional act. Whoever causes death by doing an act with the intention of causing death, or with the intention of causing such bodily injury as is likely to cause death, or with the knowledge that he is likely by such act to cause death, commits the offence of culpable homicide.
As the older experiences show, the police and prosecution chargesheets and plaints respectively have a lot of scope for the non applicants (the accused here)to find loopholes for an acquittal which should be avoided.

Coming to the VW Polo's build quality, I was just checking the "A", "B" and "C" pillars. The "B" and "C" pillars are almost intact and the "A" pillar is only a little bit affected. That the erring driver should survive after such a disastrous fall is a tribute to the build quality and the safety rating (not sure how many BVSAP stars it scores ?) for this car. One can be sure that even if this were a top end luxury car, very little chances of survival of it's occupants could be envisaged. But this small and safe hatch has saved it's driver's life (though he has criminally erred).

It's a classic case of understeer. If the car was RWD (with enough power) and the driver had skill, outcome of the situation could have been entirely different. There definitely needs to be higher barriers on that specific downhill turn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 4698561)

Coming to the VW Polo's build quality, I was just checking the "A", "B" and "C" pillars. The "B" and "C" pillars are almost intact and the "A" pillar is only a little bit affected. That the erring driver should survive after such a disastrous fall is a tribute to the build quality and the safety rating (not sure how many BVSAP stars it scores ?) for this car.

The car involved was a Polo GTI which is imported as a CBU and has 6 airbags and a host of safety features like ESC, Traction Control etc. It has not undergone BVSAP test (none of the cars have) but 4 door Polo has scored 5 stars in Euro NCAP. I could not find a crash test report of GTI per se but the Polo test results apply to all Polos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 4698492)
I'm very sorry to hear that.

I find it even more tragic to learn that the deceased woman's daughter had to witness the horrific event. That's a major mental trauma for a growing child.

Quote:

That is the most remarkable accident footage I've ever seen: first we see the shadow, then the car meeting its shadow.
At the very first glimpse it sent chills down my spine! I feel material like this must be put to use for educating public about road safety.

I'm of the opinion that instilling a bit of fear is the way to make people oblige (at least some of them).