Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
Add 'how is your night vision'.
Some good reading material:
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...e-the-symptoms
https://www.aao.org/eye-health/news/...ight-blindness
Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
From experience, maybe you can share the things that mostly go wrong aside from having a flat tyre.
Blown headlight bulbs (both together, after the alternator AVR failed and output voltage was over 18V), broken fan belt, broken rear wheel bearing, failed ignition coil, punctured oil sump, leaking radiator... the list is endless. Nothing in the last 10-15 years (apart from tyre punctures - that risk too has been minimized with the use of TPMS in all my cars).
Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Your point on a blown headlight is an excellent one. I wouldn't know what to do at that point. I'll make an effort to practise changing tyres at home this weekend and to understand the fusebox/wiring aspect. What else?
Upset tummy or high fever in the middle of the night - can you self-medicate? Do you carry spare headlight bulbs, and can you change them? How do you temporarily fix a punctured sump or a leaking radiator?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 10:47   #77
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Highway safety at night for female drivers & passengers

These are some tips which might be helpful for females driving at night:-

1.If you suspect that you are being followed, drive on to the nearest police station or busy place to get help.
2.Sound the horn in potentially dangerous situations.
3.Avoid distractions while driving - Keep the volume of your car radio at a reasonable level so you are aware of your surroundings and, tempting as it may be to check phone messages or update Facebook and Twitter while in traffic, your phone should be off every time you turn on the ignition.
5.Driver distractions will leave you vulnerable to hijackers and smash-and-grab thugs who could use the element of surprise to creep up on you.
6.Avoid strangers trying to get your attention - just drive on, or turn at the next intersection.
7.In the event of an incident of road rage, don't get into a verbal exchange, just take the high road and ignore the person.

Driving at night could be very risky for a person (gender does not matter) and also for passengers who might be children or old people. It is very important to be alert while driving on empty roads.
ButterRider 7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 10:58   #78
BHPian

I don't believe in gender discrimination. But I have observed that many (or most) ladies on the Indian roads aren't fluent drivers. Even from a distance, one can make out that some lady might be driving a car. This makes the lady drivers more noticeable.

So unless a lady is a fluent driver, I would recommend to avoid driving on highway at nights and even the fluent drivers shall drive only in a safe region.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 14th December 2020 at 10:59.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 10:12   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
I don't believe in gender discrimination. But I have observed that many (or most) ladies on the Indian roads aren't fluent drivers.
Those are contradicting statements right there!

But anyway, stereotyping based on gender aside (which is not what this thread is about), don't see too many women drivers on the highways yet. The situation in cities like Bangalore has changed with quite a few women drivers (and I'd say the percentage of 'fluent' (I assume that means good drivers) is pretty much the same as the percentage of good vs bad male drivers. Also, I think we tend to confuse fast/aggressive driving with good driving, which is often the reverse actually!)), but I've hardly seen any women driving on the highway, even with family, forget alone.

More than the issue of 'fluency' I'd say the risk is the reaction of (some) males on the road to women drivers. I remember an instance before I was married, when I was on my bike, following my wife (then girlfriend) while she drove back to her house after we had met for dinner because it was really late, and I saw two heroes on a bike change direction just to start following her! (And these were not local loafers, they were dressed in formal office attire, probably drunk techies!) Of course they vanished as soon as I pulled up alongside them and gave them a piece of my mind!

Hope that attitude and situation changes, it will take a couple of generations and it'll take more girls and boys growing up while seeing more women drivers on the road till it becomes a normal thing. But yes, male or female, I'd avoid night driving on our roads, too risky for me!

[On a related note, while I'm typing this, my wife is on her first solo highway drive along the west coast. We were supposed to go together, but something came up at work and I couldn't go. So she's happily driving along on her own and seems to be really enjoying it. (Btw, she's a far better driver than I am. So was my mom, who taught me how to drive and used to do several solo drives on the highway in her Ambassador and then Marutis from the 80s to the 2000s.)]

Last edited by am1m : 20th January 2021 at 10:37.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed