Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2019, 07:44   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Venue gets 4 stars in ANCAP tests

In latest ANCAP tests, Hyundai Venue gets 4 Stars ( for the Australian Market)

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 5852
Size:  129.8 KB

Source:ANCAP

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th December 2019 at 07:50.
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 12:53   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue gets 4 stars in ANCAP tests

Considering the Indian spec will miss out on certain safety features compared to the Australian counterparts, we should expect a 3 star rating for the Indian spec .

This is not bad as such and certainly has room to improve considering Nexon in the same price range is already 5 star rated

Overall, happy to see the list of cars with 3 or more stars growing
Sk8r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 13:10   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Considering the Indian spec will miss out on certain safety features compared to the Australian counterparts, we should expect a 3 star rating for the Indian spec .

This is not bad as such and certainly has room to improve considering Nexon in the same price range is already 5 star rated

I don't think the structure will change so at least the car can take some impact. However one must remember that the test is conducted with the car's own weight. So if a heavier object collides the result will be vastly different.

Nexon has a 5* rating with a 1300Kg weight and Venue has 4* with 1100 odd kg. Nexon structure was rated stable and additional load could be taken.

In a real world accident the car with greater momentum will cause higher damage to the lesser one assuming build quality is same.
The other factor that will be crucial is the point of impact. A higher set car occupants will suffer lesser damage than a low slung car

Last edited by aniyo : 19th December 2019 at 13:12.
aniyo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 02:23   #4
SR7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Considering the Indian spec will miss out on certain safety features compared to the Australian counterparts, we should expect a 3 star rating for the Indian spec.

The Nexon has been rated 5-star by the Global NCAP whereas the Venue has been rated 4-star by the Australasian NCAP (ANCAP). The two agencies have different testing criteria and the ANCAP test procedures were transitioned recently to make them in line with the EURO NCAP - so the ANCAP tests are more stringent and extensive than Global NCAP with many testing scenarios. The Nexon doesn’t have a 6-airbag System, TC, ESP, AEB, Lane Departure Warning etc. which may earn it only a 3-star or optimistically, a 4-star rating with ANCAP. Using the ANCAP test for the Venue as reference, it will most probably get a 5-star rating under Global NCAP standards. The only reason the Venue did not receive a 5-star ANCAP rating was because the AEB system did not function as effectively as it should have, otherwise the vehicle offered good structural protection. The Nexon offers good structural protection, but some active & passive safety assistance systems are lacking. The takeaway here is that both the Venue and Nexon offer good passenger protection with good structural rigidity. Again, this is based on my assumption that Hyundai offer the same superstructure on the Venue for both India and Australia without compromises!

My intention here is to only point out the different testing criteria and that not all NCAP ratings are equal, so if people read the full crash test reports, they will get a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
I don't think the structure will change so at least the car can take some impact. However one must remember that the test is conducted with the car's own weight. So if a heavier object collides the result will be vastly different.

Nexon has a 5* rating with a 1300Kg weight and Venue has 4* with 1100 odd kg. Nexon structure was rated stable and additional load could be taken.

In a real world accident the car with greater momentum will cause higher damage to the lesser one assuming build quality is same.
The other factor that will be crucial is the point of impact. A higher set car occupants will suffer lesser damage than a low slung car
Yes, this true that the vehicle is usually crash tested with its own weight - in real world scenarios, a heavier vehicle will cause more damage to the lighter vehicle - at the end of the day, it boils down to physics and momentum! Regarding the kerb weight of the vehicle, the structure would be the same - the engine, transmission and other safety options add weight depending on the variant so there could be a difference of 50-100 kg between variants.
SR7 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 08:53   #5
BHPian

While this NCAP rating is really good; the question that is at the back of my mind is this:

The Hyundai Venue tested in NCAP was based on the Accent (Verna in India) platform.

Link : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Venue

The Hyundai Venue made in India is based on the Santro platform (which has scored only a 2 star crash safety rating).

Link: https://auto.ndtv.com/news/all-hyund...1-2019-2074135

So, I would not directly take these NCAP results as applicable for India. If any BHP-ians or insiders know better; please do update on this.

As we have earlier seen in the Renault Captur's case; this too should not be a falsified claim of sorts.

Cheers & Safe Driving
Surya-TJet is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 10:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I will not take this ANCAP rating seriously in context of the Indian car scene. Car manufacturers are well known to cut all sorts of corners when it comes to safety for Indian cars. Anything and everything is possible from lower spec components to removal of reinforcements to use of thinner or lower grade metal to even use of an entirely different platform underneath. Hyundai’s existing Indian cars which have been crash tested do not have a good record. The Santro, on whose platform the Indian Venue is based scored just 2 stars and crucially, it’s structure was rated unstable. It is far easier to manufacturers to dress up the number of stars with extra airbags and electronics than to actually engineer a robust, stable and safe platform.

Until and unless the Venue as sold in the Indian market is independently crash tested, this rating is of little relevance.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 20th December 2019 at 11:01.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 11:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I will not take this ANCAP rating seriously in context of the Indian car scene----
The ANCAP tested car is 'MADE IN KOREA' and its results can't be inferred to the India built Venue.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 14:09   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
The Hyundai Venue made in India is based on the Santro platform (which has scored only a 2 star crash safety rating).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I will not take this ANCAP rating seriously in context of the Indian car scene. Car manufacturers are well known to cut all sorts of corners when it comes to safety for Indian cars.
As much as I respect Hyundai India, they have really sucked in the area of safety. Most of their cars have fared poorly in the surprise NCAP tests, which reflects terribly on a company with such a commitment to quality. Tata showed that it is very much possible to sell a 5-star safety rating car in the mass market, but both the market leaders (Maruti & Hyundai) stand by like mute spectators.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 14:56   #9
SR7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
While this NCAP rating is really good; the question that is at the back of my mind is this:

The Hyundai Venue tested in NCAP was based on the Accent (Verna in India) platform.

Link : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Venue

Link: https://auto.ndtv.com/news/all-hyund...1-2019-2074135

So, I would not directly take these NCAP results as applicable for India. If any BHP-ians or insiders know better; please do update on this.

As we have earlier seen in the Renault Captur's case; this too should not be a falsified claim of sorts.

Cheers & Safe Driving
Thank you for pointing this out, it needs to be looked into. The wheelbase and length are also different in the Indian and Australian versions of the Venue, but we cannot use this as a criteria for definitively saying the structure might be different, it is a possibility though. I have attached the spec sheet from the brochure of the Australian and Indian variants of the Venue - only the width is the same, other dimensions are different. Surprisingly, the tyres offered on the Australian variants are 185/65 R15 & 205/55 R17 while that offered on the Indian variants are 195/65 R15 & 215/60 R16. The Australian variant gets ventilated disc and & disc brakes for the front & rear respectively, where as the Indian variant gets discs up front & drums at the rear. Hyundai (as usual) has not mentioned the kerb weight in the Indian brochure! There should be a law / regulation stating that all cars sold in India should display parameters such as weight, internal dimensions etc. which is standard in USA, Europe & Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As much as I respect Hyundai India, they have really sucked in the area of safety. Most of their cars have fared poorly in the surprise NCAP tests, which reflects terribly on a company with such a commitment to quality. Tata showed that it is very much possible to sell a 5-star safety rating car in the mass market, but both the market leaders (Maruti & Hyundai) stand by like mute spectators.
Hyundai has scored 5 stars for all their new models (Santa Fe, Nexo, ICE Kona) in the Euro NCAP - in fact the 2019 Santa Fe actually score more than the BMW X5 on the adult occupant safety & child occupant safety! Hyundai cars have continually been among the top safety picks in the IIHS / NHTSA test for the past 4 years. So, this is a company which builds cars as safe as the big Germans but still adopts a different attitude in India

When it comes to crash testing I feel that EURO NCAP had more stringent tests than ANCAP (maybe on par 2018 onwards), ANCAP is more stringent than the Global NCAP. The US IIHS tests have more testing parameters than the EURO NCAP as it includes small overlap tests on driver AND front passenger sides & also roof strength tests. I really cannot comment on the LATIN NCAP & ASEAN NCAP which I feel may be on par or around Global NCAP.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Venue gets 4 stars in ANCAP tests-5711541227a84427886f904b8b71df85.jpeg  

Hyundai Venue gets 4 stars in ANCAP tests-d30ea5f80e9e4a0883a2cac641cde4c1.jpeg  

Last edited by SR7 : 20th December 2019 at 15:22.
SR7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 12:24   #10
BHPian

2020 Hyundai Venue is the top safety pick of the IIHS. As per IIHS, most of the parameters of crashworthiness is rated as 'Good'. I happen to read further on these links;

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/08/21/...p-safety-pick/

https://www.motor1.com/news/440361/h...-safety-award/

Will this be applicable to the version here? If so, it augurs well for Kia Sonet as well? Or I miss something here like difference in platforms. etc.

Last edited by Nalin Kumar : 22nd August 2020 at 12:27. Reason: addition
Old 22nd August 2020, 13:36   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Kumar View Post
2020 Hyundai Venue is the top safety pick of the IIHS. As per IIHS, most of the parameters of crashworthiness is rated as 'Good'. I happen to read further on these links;

Will this be applicable to the version here? If so, it augurs well for Kia Sonet as well? Or I miss something here like difference in platforms. etc.
As mentioned in multiple posts before, none of these ratings are applicable for the Indian Venue, which is built on the inferior India spec K1 (Santro’s) platform. It will be the same story with the Sonet, an identical car just wearing different clothes.

The K1’s GNCAP performance has been disastrous, even worse than Maruti’s Heartech platform. Santro got a pitiful 2 stars with the chassis rated as unstable.

Had the car been capable of a decent NCAP score, Hyundai would have had it certified itself and used it as a major selling point.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 22nd August 2020 at 13:41.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 13:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Kumar View Post
The simple answer to your question is no. The India-spec venue is built on Hyundai's K1 (Santro) platform while the US-spec cars and other major market (QX0) cars are based on the international Accent platform.

Last edited by akash_v12 : 22nd August 2020 at 13:43.
akash_v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 10:08   #13
BHPian

Hyundai's current form of pseudo safety is so wrong. People regarded Hyundai cars to be safe but with such strategies it is not going to benefit them. There India made cars never make it to the GNCAP just because either they are overconfident of the results or because they don't want people to know the truth. Sadly, Indian buyers still are not considering safety as their priority while buying. Hyundai has been going the Maruti way of "Kitna Deti Hai". I agree that Hyundai cars are better built than likes of Maruti's but their cars have now been lagging behind in terms of safety.
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 22:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Is the 2023 Venue still based on the Santro K1 platform ? Or is it the newer platform as used internationally (with respectable ANCAP ratings )?

Last edited by DCEite : 19th February 2023 at 22:07.
Old 19th February 2023, 23:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Is the 2023 Venue still based on the Santro K1 platform ? Or is it the newer platform as used internationally (with respectable ANCAP ratings )?
No way they've changed the platform for a facelift - however I wouldn't rule out potential improvements in crashworthiness seeing the PR disasters they've had with underwhelming results for other models. Although I think you might have to wait for a new generation of Hyundais entirely before you see improvements.

On a side note, even if the platform was the same one as the Korean-built one, there is no way a Venue with Indian safety specification would score even a single star in ANCAP tests (not to be confused with the GNCAP programme for emerging markets like India). Even a one star rating would require fulfilment of the one-star threshold in the safety assist box (or for 2023 the crash avoidance box), which requires standard fitment of at least a rudimentary radar-only car-to-car automatic emergency braking system.

Last edited by ron178 : 19th February 2023 at 23:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks