Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2019, 15:49   #1
BHPian

DIY: I put high visibility reflective stickers on unmarked + dangerous dividers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Quoting my own post in order to report to the forum a healthy development with reference to the dividers discussed above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Update on WP 48635/2017.

After hearing our arguments at length, the Honorable high court has been pleased to issue emergent notice to BBMP on the issue of Potholes,road divider markings and illuminators on sign boards.

The next date of hearing is on 22nd November and BBMP is supposed to reply to the notice on/before the next hearing.

I will keep you all updated as and when the reply is filed.

Waseem.
Bumping up this old thread again. I've complained to BBMP about various road dividers lacking a hazard board, and a few days later a person from BBMP asked me to come to the spot to help him locate the divider which I happily obliged to do. He assured me that a board will be installed in a few days, but it's been over 3 weeks and nothing has been done to it.

Since these dividers were extremely dangerous for motorists in the night, I decided to do my bit, so I bought some 3M high visibility reflective stickers and pasted them on a few unmarked dividers.

I've also started a Facebook page called Making Bangalore roads safer to raise some awareness about these dangerous dividers. Please feel free to join.

Here are a few pics:

DIY: I put high visibility reflective stickers on unmarked + dangerous dividers-cas2.jpg

DIY: I put high visibility reflective stickers on unmarked + dangerous dividers-case1.jpg

DIY: I put high visibility reflective stickers on unmarked + dangerous dividers-screenshot-20191021-3.39.28-pm.png

Last edited by akshay_b : 21st October 2019 at 15:57.
akshay_b is offline   (144) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 15:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Road Dividers - A major cause of accidents

As always, great job, thanks. I had a unfortunate incident myself where I climbed over a divider that had been hit too many times by others and hence had a ramp like structure. Heavy rains had filled up the road and visibility was very low. My right front wheel just continued moving with the whole car slanted. Have to say, my Vento did not have much damage.

Our roads sometimes widen with dividers right in the middle. Even reflectors might not help completely if someone is at some speed. We need to have common sense and learn road design.
srishiva is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 15:43   #3
BHPian

A brand new Duster rammed into the very divider that I pasted the reflective stickers on

I guess, these small reflective stickers cannot replace the yellow hazard boards in rains and low light conditions. The passenger who was not wearing a seatbelt had a head injury as his head hit against the windshield due to the impact. The driver, however, is safe as he was buckled up.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: I put high visibility reflective stickers on unmarked + dangerous dividers-screenshot-20191110-3.40.36-pm.png  

akshay_b is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 15:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
A brand new Duster rammed into the very divider that I pasted the reflective stickers on

I guess, these small reflective stickers cannot replace the yellow hazard boards in rains and low light conditions. The passenger who was not wearing a seatbelt had a head injury as his head hit against the windshield due to the impact. The driver, however, is safe as he was buckled up.
I couldn't help but notice the irony here - your choice of smiley and the fate of the unbuckled front passenger.
When will people learn to value their own life and health?
srvm is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 23:47   #5
BHPian

Today's Bangalore mirror wrote an article about me pasting stickers on unmarked dividers.

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/73000446.cms
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: I put high visibility reflective stickers on unmarked + dangerous dividers-c150ab28b3114a2ba9c9750465d50826.jpeg  

akshay_b is offline   (117) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 05:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today's Bangalore mirror wrote an article about me pasting stickers on unmarked dividers.
Read the article yesterday and was wondering if it was you; thanks for confirming. Meanwhile, its really sad that the authorities aren't really serious about addressing such an important safety issue, in spite of court strictures. That a common man HAS to do what the Government should be doing in the first place reflects the state of our systems.

You are doing a very good job. You are a worthy Bhpian.

If not me, then who: If not now, then when?

should be our motto in such cases.

That said, I wouldn't discount the chances of one or the other agencies censuring you for defacing public property .

So, tread carefully.
dailydriver is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 12:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this legally allowed? Won't the police book you for defacing public property. It is an excellent citizen initiative, but I'm just worried about the legal system in India.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 11:07   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: I put high visibility reflective stickers on unmarked + dangerous dividers

akshay_b, you're a hero, man! Kudos to the initiative . Moving your post to a new thread. Will add to our homepage tomorrow.
GTO is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 13:50   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/73000446.cms
What a genuinely nice, kind and caring person you must be! In this wicked selfish world, you truly are a hero and a saint and an inspiration to us lesser folks who crib and crib and curse and curse but have not taken any trouble unto ourselves to make the world a better place, the way you have done.
Hats off to you my friend.
God Bless your goodness in multifold ways.
shankar.balan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 14:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY: I put high visibility reflective stickers on unmarked + dangerous dividers

Dear Akshay,

Like others have said, you indeed are a hero. But more than that, you are a role model, and the embodiment of the late Arthur Ashe's words of wisdom - "Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can".

You have made a cynical & jaded misanthrope like me think that there still might be hope for our country. I am going to show this thread to my daughter today evening, to illustrate what "taking initiative" really means.

May your tribe increase!

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 11:00   #11
BHPian

Great job buddy. You are a true savior. Seems there is no proper street lights in that location too. We are paying our taxes and we expect a few basic road safety from the government. 3 weeks for installing a signboard is too much.
ash22 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 11:06   #12
BHPian

Hey Akshay

Your efforts are really commendable man.
Investing in a social cause and pursuing it whole heartedly is surely a heart warmer.
More strength to you.
Kudos !!!
maverick.munish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 11:08   #13
BHPian

Kudos to you. All will have safe and nice UX in real time
SRKHYD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 11:24   #14
VVN
BHPian

Great job Akshay. I'll try to promote your page as much as I can. I hope this inspires people (including myself) to do their bit for the society.
VVN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 14:01   #15
BHPian

In today's world we hardly come across people who care for others !! Your small but significant initiative is commendable and deserves an applaud from the entire fraternity indeed

A big thanks to GTO for getting this thread on the Homepage or else your effort would have gone unnoticed.

In 2016 while touring Rajasthan, I saw that the Rajasthan Police were asking truckers to pull aside checking whether their tail lights was working or not and whether they had the reflective stickers at the rear or not. For the ones which did not have them, they were affixing the reflective stickers on the rear of the trucks at no additional charge/ cost to the trucker keeping road safety in mind. How often do we see such a thing ? Rarely.

Great Initiative brother ! Keep up the good work and keep inspiring us.

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 31st December 2019 at 14:02. Reason: Changes
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed