Old 15th January 2020, 18:22   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
That is the point which i was trying to make. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
But please let us use our God given intelligence while making these accusations. Nobody could have looked into the future and got to know that Altroz would be a 5 star GNCAP product.
This was the point that I was trying to make. I was hoping it would get through but obviously it didn't work.

Sorry mods for the OT post.
Old 15th January 2020, 18:36   #47
Senior - BHPian

Another feather in the cap for Tata Motors for achieving 5 star rating for Altroz.
If only it was equipped with 6 airbags, it would have achieved higher rating for child safety as well.
Old 15th January 2020, 18:38   #48
BANNED

re: Tata Altroz gets a 5-star rating in the Global NCAP!

Kudos to Tata. Hope other manufacturers follow the suit.
Quote:
David Ward, CEO and President of Global NCAP said, “The latest result in our #SaferCarsforIndia crash tests shows a strong signal that TATA is moving its fleet to 5-star levels of safety performance. We would like to encourage all other car manufacturers in India to follow TATA’s example and bring affordable 5-star cars to Indian consumers.”
Quote:
“The Indian government’s minimum crash test standards are clearly helping to eliminate any new zero star cars from the market, and we will continue to work with them to ensure the push of regulatory requirements is complimented by the pull of consumer awareness, encouraging the demand for ever higher levels of safety.”
Quote:
Tata Motors is all set to launch the Altroz hatchback in India next week. Ahead of that, Global NCAP has crash tested the Altroz. Scoring a full 5 star safety rating, Tata Altroz is now the safest car in the segment which has Maruti Baleno, Hyundai i20, etc. Baleno Euro-spec safety rating is 4 star while i20 Africa-spec rating is 3 star. India-spec Baleno and i20 have not been crash tested.
Link
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 18:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

Isn't Gncap supposed to take cars at random from dealerships for testing?

Since the car isn't on sale yet how did they manage to grab one for the test?
Are manufacturers allowed to send one by themselves?
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 18:47   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
This was the point that I was trying to make. I was hoping it would get through but obviously it didn't work.
Below is the post in question, in his reply, the point he is trying to put across is for all people that weren't sure of a major USP that the altroz had, it now has one. Which is a valid point, although the altroz is a fantastic product, it was a sad truth that it didn't really have any major USP over its competition, and it had the disadvantage of after sales compared to the suzuki and hyundai competition. But now, with the recent test results, the altroz has a major USP over its competition. That doesn't necessarily mean they had to know it beforehand. It was just a point he was trying to put across without any provocative meaning underlying.
If my understanding was false, i respectfully apologize because that was all i could make out from his post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Those people who were complaining about how does Altroz differentiate from other cars in same segment? Well now you know, it has 5 Star Safety which other's don't and will help you reach everyday safely home.

Last edited by SaiSW : 15th January 2020 at 18:55.
SaiSW is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 18:52   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Mixed feelings really, the premium hatchback from TATA will be the safest in the segment but will miss out on Automatic transmission on launch. Excellent engineering but mediocre product management.
Same feeling here. Very happy for Tata achieving this feat on the Altroz, but if it is relevant to me personally, unfortunately no because Tata is still silent about the automatic launch date for Altroz. Looking forward to see if some information is revealed in the upcoming Auto Expo.

I also hope that Tata would send their new 2020 Tiago and Tigor soon for NCAP tests.
Old 15th January 2020, 18:54   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
...But now, with the recent test results, the altroz has a major USP over its competition. That doesn't necessarily mean they had to know it beforehand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Those people who were complaining about how does Altroz differentiate from other cars in same segment? Well now you know, it has 5 Star Safety which other's don't and will help you reach everyday safely home.
And this is the part that made me write my initial post (it's highlighted for your benefit).
Old 15th January 2020, 18:55   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRoader_001 View Post
Sharing Some Screenshots from GNcap Testing :
Wonder why the crash test vehicle weighs 1400 kg. Isn't it a bit too high for a hatchback?
Old 15th January 2020, 18:56   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
One noticeable flaw that the previous generation Tata vehicles had was that the airbag inflation would crack the windshield. Note the Tiago accident pic and the Vista crash test video shared below. The Nexon too had a very slight impact, but marginal. In comparison, this seems to have been fixed with the Altroz. No impact of the airbag inflation on the windshield.

Tata Tiago
Tata Altroz gets a 5-star rating in the Global NCAP!-3.jpg

Tata Vista

Tata Nexon
sachinayak is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 19:18   #55
BHPian

I wonder why the harrier hasn't been tested yet, my same questions fall on the tiago as well. I hope they achieve the same results for these as well, which would make for a fantastic product lineup.
But anyways, great achievement by the team. My heartiest congratulations to them. What they need to do is capitalise on this and market it to the maximum because the altroz does have its cons, albeit not many, and this is one USP that majority of the competition cannot flaunt, so they should take maximum advantage of this to be able to overlap some of its cons.

Last edited by SaiSW : 15th January 2020 at 19:21.
Old 15th January 2020, 19:37   #56
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

As a proud owner of Nexon, this is such a pleasant news. I wish the car many success. And also wish the people realise and appreciate this achivement of the home grown company.

Hope this reflects in the numbers so the competition ups their ante.
ottocycle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 19:40   #57
Team-BHP Support

This is wonderful! Extremely commendable to see Tata taking passenger safety seriously especially when the manufacturer of the masses (Maruti) ignore this very aspect in the name of being VFM!

What will be the next step for Tata will be to build on this and set standards (and not an option on top trim) for all the competing manufacturers to follow/comply. The Altroz should be scoring even better if they have side/curtain airbags, ESP etc. as standard.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 19:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

Tata Altroz scores a 5 Star rating in Global NCAP.

Good job TATA. Glad they mare making strides on the safety front. Kudos to the design team and the top bosses for priorities. Choosing safety over mileage in India needs real guts and we have seen multiple examples of the same. :

Just hope TATA brings out a fully baked Altros and hope the sales fly. This is one car maker I want to buy a car from. Maybe the Altros/Tiago JTP to replace my ageing Maruti 800.

Tata and Volvo always have my sympathies. Great safety and poor sales.:

Great result, considering the absence of side & curtain airbags and other feature like AEB etc.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 15th January 2020 at 20:07.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 19:53   #59
Senior - BHPian

Woah!!! Amazing job TATA. Take a bow

Just before official sales start this news is welcome. Now they should market this aggressively. Hyundai & Maruti should learn from this but sadly they won't bother since no matter how much people go ga-ga about this achievement, they still will go and pick up the Baleno or i20

P.S: Tiago also should be sent for this test voluntarily. Am sure it would score atleast a solid 4star if not 5
SoumenD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 20:10   #60
BHPian

A really great job by Tata.
Remember, this is a new platform and lighter than the Nexon with similar volume.
Some clever engineering has gone through to get this rating "Only"with 2 airbags..!

Should put some skepticism to rest.
thirumalkumaran is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed