Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2020, 20:32   #61
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Isn't Gncap supposed to take cars at random from dealerships for testing?

Since the car isn't on sale yet how did they manage to grab one for the test?
Are manufacturers allowed to send one by themselves?
Exactly my thoughts. I know Tata wouldn't do it but there maybe some crash test improving structures in place.
And we all know Tata's love for deleting features.

The only logical (and ethical) conclusion I draw is Tata wanted to use this 5 Star rating in the advertisements. With this feather in their cap, they can now crush the competition like tin cans (pun intended).
turbospooler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 20:34   #62
BHPian

re: Tata Altroz gets a 5-star rating in the Global NCAP!

Wow, I just knew this was a solid hatchback the moment I set eyes on it. The Baleno and the likes never gave me that feeling. If there was one new hatchback that I'd gladly bet on to win "Best car of the year", it would be the Altroz. Now it's time for Tata to surprise us even more with its customer service and ASS. Oh, and the pricing of course.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 20:38   #63
BHPian

Tata and Mahindra are showing the world that we aren't just catching up but are already a step ahead.
Good to know that Tata is not looking for the numbers game and keeping its focus clear.

Close your eyes and think about safer cars available. The first picture that comes in your mind is of Volvo or Volkswagen. Now Tata too is joining that space. Kudos to them.

On a funny note - Tata should start a campaign with a tagline 'Kitna deti hai?...... NCAP star'
DrCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 20:43   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRONIX View Post
Wonder why the crash test vehicle weighs 1400 kg. Isn't it a bit too high for a hatchback?
I think the weight includes the dummies as well. If I remember right, the dummies are supposed to simulate the weight and proportions of human beings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
Exactly my thoughts. I know Tata wouldn't do it but there maybe some crash test improving structures in place.
And we all know Tata's love for deleting features.
The reality has been to the contrary. Tata may have removed some features in theire cars, but they have been taking safety and especially the NCAP rating very seriously, example being the improved rating for the Nexon in the second iteration.

Last edited by prakash_ajp : 15th January 2020 at 20:47. Reason: More to add
prakash_ajp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 21:05   #65
BHPian

Excellent work by Tata Motors to get the 5 Star GNCAP crash rating for Altroz. They should capitalize on this fact and market the same heavily. As all consumer electronics/electrical products have their mandatory Energy Efficiency rating, Cars should also have the crash test norms to be displayed prominently.
adi.mariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 21:16   #66
BHPian

I'm not asking this question because it is TATA - but is it not possible for a manufacturer to build one piece of a car just for these tests? This particular car is not on the road yet for NCAP to buy a random piece from the market.
gopalnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 21:18   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
I wonder why the harrier hasn't been tested yet, my same questions fall on the tiago as well. I hope they achieve the same results for these as well, which would make for a fantastic product lineup.
My understanding is that Tiago and Harrier is not having Child Seat ISOFIX Anchor Points on base models. This will result in poor child occupant ratings and it may backstab Tata. That's why they are not taking initiatives for GNCAP from their end. If the facelift is covering the missing ISOFIX, then they may go for crash tests.
K_Drive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 21:21   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
I'm not asking this question because it is TATA - but is it not possible for a manufacturer to build one piece of a car just for these tests? This particular car is not on the road yet for NCAP to buy a random piece from the market.
Because its a Tata, we can assume that they won't make a one off example to pass the test. Companies like Ford and Hyundai can present to the NCAP a car made for European markets and claim it to be similar to the Indian version. Tata doesn't sell many cars outside the Indian shores. If there is a new car coming, they will launch it first in India, hence we get to experience all the niggles first
Aditya_Bhp is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 21:29   #69
BHPian

Congratulations to Tata! I really hope their sales take off and 2020 is a much better year, just for this safety initiative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think there is only one way to teach Maruti a safety lesson. Have the Maruti CEO & Tata CEO crash head-on into each other in a Baleno & Altroz. Now that ought to drive the message home, what say?
Now, that's an interesting thought. Can Tata actually shoot an advertisement showing/picturizing this, and use it as a selling point? I am sure this will be extremely educative for the masses. Tata also has the NCAP data to back up the claim, from a legal standpoint.
PearlJam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 21:30   #70
BHPian

Amazing achievement and in fact, in my view, it is a landmark in Indian automotive history in my view.

Achieving the first 5-star is definitely a great milestone but repeating the same in their brand new new car on a brand new platform on its very first attempt is something just beyond greatness.
For me, it is even more sweeter because this is done by our very own Indian manufacturer. So proud of you Tata! Salute!

I am searching for my new car and waiting for BS6 models to emerge in next few weeks. Nexon is my top contender as of now and have already done the pre-booking. Altroz has now become the second contender with its only major drawback being not having the automatic option. I just hoped Tata released automatic version too at the launch and made my decision making even tougher

Key criteria for me is safety, strong build quality, sturdiness, decent creature comforts (don't like skimmed lower versions), Future ready in design & electronics, driving comfort and dynamics both in city & highways, acceptable mileage, no bottom scrapping on speed humps, acceptable A.S.S. and finally the automatic transmission. All this in an acceptable (i am not saying cheap or low price) middle-class minded price showing the value for what i paid. I know its like asking too much but that's what we want when we put big money that takes many years for us to earn.

I do not expect that any of the new releases in the auto expo would really challenge my Top two contenders of Nexon and Altroz.

I never thought Tata would monopolize my shortlist...wow, again proud of you Tata

Last edited by BlackPearl : 15th January 2020 at 21:52. Reason: More than 2 smileys
TurboOnTarmac is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 21:53   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Very good of TATA to ensure that Altroz is a 5 star safety rated car. Advertise this aspect severely to register in the buyer's mind.

Hope they put the same efforts in fixing the culture at the dealership to ensure a pleasurable buying experience.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 22:45   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I think it is possible. But BECAUSE it is Tata, it would not be done this way.
Not only do they have an inhouse crash testing facility, we have enough examples of Nexons and Hexa (and even a couple of Tiagos) that have gone through really bad accidents and yet maintained the cabin ensuring passengers come out with just a few scratches.
On the other hand we have had Kwid sending up to 3 different versions to an NCAP whose weight itself was different from the one being sold in India. We have had VW famously cheating on efficiency tests. If these results had been falsified, I am sure other manufacturers would have pounced upon Tata's claims by now and at the same time, if it was that easy to send a one-off model, I am sure Mahindra would have ensured the Scorpio does not get zero stars.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 23:12   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
.... is it not possible for a manufacturer to build one piece of a car just for these tests? This particular car is not on the road yet for NCAP to buy a random piece from the market.
Most assessment programs have built-in mechanisms to dissuade (or at least catch) manufacturers from indulging in such shenanigans. Not saying they don't still try, but they usually get caught. Renault Kwid is a recent case in point, where if I remember right, a particular section of the front right was beefed up to score better on the offset collision test, without addressing overall safety improvements after the first failed test.

For example, here's an excerpt from Euro-NCAP on how they acquire cars for testing that aren't yet released to market. Emphasis mine.

Quote:
What If Cars Are Not Yet On Sale?
It is important to publish results as soon as possible in the life-cycle of a vehicle so that as many consumers as possible are able to make an informed choice. This means that Euro NCAP sometimes will test cars which are not yet available at dealers. In these circumstances, Euro NCAP selects cars from early production. Euro NCAP may visit the manufacturing plant to choose cars at random or VINs may be selected randomly from a list provided by the manufacturer. When the cars arrive at the test laboratory, they are checked to ensure they have the correct items of safety equipment. Under no circumstance Euro NCAP will test vehicles that are not fully type approved, are not from series production or not legally sellable to the general public. Any evidence found - before, during or after the tests - that casts doubt on the production status of the vehicles, will automatically lead to an invalid result and follow up investigations.

Source

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th January 2020 at 23:23. Reason: Typos.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 00:01   #74
BHPian

Kudos to Tata!

As a couple of people have already said, it is creditable to achieve 5 stars rating on a new platform at the first attempt. Prototypes are costly to build for these tests. They would have done a lot of simulations prior to this. It means that they have good expertise in that area now.

Is ALFA the same platform that was evaluated by the VW/Skoda group in India? I am not sure about this, but if I remember reading it right, a third party international evaluator had recommended this highly modular platform for the VW group for them to help cut costs, but they turned it down. Their eyes must be popping out after reading the NCAP results.

https://m.economictimes.com/tata-mot...w/59355298.cms

Thanks,
Pradeep
pradkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 00:52   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
As for Tata, this is really commendable and should see altroz get great sales once the automatic comes in.
The gentleman is right in pointing out about people who were wondering what was that one aspect that differentiated Altroz from the rest. He was just implying that now that Altroz has passed with flying colors regards to crash test, "those people" are now enlightened and have nothing to complain about.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 16th January 2020 at 02:42. Reason: Post edited as the quoted message has been deleted. Thanks.
shaheenazk is online now   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks