Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2020, 12:14   #91
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz gets a 5-star rating in the Global NCAP!

This is outstanding news. Tata has been making the strides necessary. From the Harrier thread, it seems they have addressed niggles on that potential game-changer too. I actually am willing to give them some rope. Yes, Kia was flawless with their execution of the Seltos and clear & committed to their vision - the sheer scale of their ambition (which is what I found far more impressive). But Tata Motors are an Indian company. With ethos that reflect it. I know "we're like that only" sounds like a horrible excuse....but think about it....would you ever expect a Diesel-gate a la Volkswagen (that of great German engineering) from Tata? And let's give it to them for all the things they have fundamentally changed: The Design. The Safety. The Capability. Each of their cars is a potential block-buster. Each one of them. Hexa, Harrier, Altroz, Tiago/Tigor/JTPs. How often can you say that?
Annibaddh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 12:20   #92
BHPian

Kudos to Tata for proving the fact once again that affordable cars can provide 5 star levels of safety. It's surely a tight slap on the face of certain market leaders who made the masses believe that safety is an expensive proposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
List of NCAP test cars as applicable:
Interestingly, the safest 2 cars and the least safe car belongs to Tata.
BigBrad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 12:52   #93
BHPian

Oh Boy! TATA is clearly setting up a clear path for the future. First, the Nexon and now Altroz also scores 5 stars in NCAP!

If Tiago/Tigor also scores 5 stars in NCAP, That's going to be a huge huge victory for TATA in the consumer segment and MSIL will definitely face the heat.
Old 16th January 2020, 13:10   #94
BHPian

Extremely proud of my decision to choose a Tata product rather than a Maruti.

Even now when people ask why I chose a Nexon over a more fuel efficient and cost efficient Brezza, I show them the five star rating sticker at the back.

Nothing is more peaceful than the security of travelling in a safe car.

Hats off to Tata.

Now if only they could work more on the Harrier/Hexa and make it into a world class product.
snaseer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 13:22   #95
BHPian

Hats off TATA. Take a bow. I remember there was a time when we used to discuss the shoddy cars TATA produced (Indica days) and no one was prepared to buy any passenger car from TATA. But, the time has changed and it is so pleasing to see an Indian manufacturer focusing on Safety and producing global standard car right here in India. They say in Hindi " Der se aaye, durusht aaye"
Old 16th January 2020, 13:58   #96
BHPian

Great job TATA! . Altroz is indeed a Gold Standard. My heart jumps with joy whenever I hear anything good about Tatas in any department that they operate. In automobiles, Tata has started moving in the very right direction since Tiago. I hope that the people receive it so well and give it a much-needed success.

Heartiest congratulations to the future owners of Altroz.

Last edited by vijayshouree : 16th January 2020 at 13:59.
vijayshouree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 15:43   #97
BHPian

Tata motors are doing an impeccable job. From the design language to interiors, engines, comfort, music, and safety, they are miles better than many in the business.

A big reason why the sales don't justify their efforts is because their pathetic sales team and dealership. Tata really need to filter the bad dealers out. They really are big blot in the Tata's name. I have many stories of unfair deals by Tata dealerships. They are a big reason why people stay away from Tata.
Old 16th January 2020, 15:50   #98
BANNED

Well done TATA. I think this is the first hatchback from any Indian manufacturer to receive 5 star global NCAP rating. I myself own Tiago and can surely say that the build quality of Tata Cars is really nice. This 5 star rating will surely help Altroz to do well in thr market.
Old 16th January 2020, 17:00   #99
BANNED

Take a bow Tata!In a world filled with ugly gaping grilles sticking out of their tin bodies, not only are Tata cars the best looking they are the safest too. They are killing it with their classy designs and solid engineering. Way to go Tata !!
vasist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 17:14   #100
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
[b]

Global NCAP chose the entry-level model.

Source - http://www.globalncap.org/tatas-seco...nt-protection/
Fantastic news ! TATA is moving in the right direction.

Just being curious - GNCAP says it chose the entry-level model (which they usually do) but the tested ALTROZ car has alloy wheels as seen in videos. I'm sure that the entry level model comes with steel wheels.

What am I missing ?
vaasscit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 17:26   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
Just being curious - GNCAP says it chose the entry-level model (which they usually do) but the tested ALTROZ car has alloy wheels as seen in videos. I'm sure that the entry level model comes with steel wheels.

What am I missing ?
That is correct. Its definitely not the entry level model. Alloy wheels, floating screen ICE, LED DRLs. Surely the top spec. If you watch the older video, even the Nexon XZ+ was used in the test.

I think GNCAP is talking about the specifications being considered for minimum rating calculation. The calculated score depends on availability of features like ABS, belt / speed reminders, airbags etc. If the base model has them - the score is high. Since these features are standard across trims now a days for most new cars - the score rarely changes regardless of the trim. A physical crash test doesn't have much difference across trims with the same safety pack. It makes a difference in case of cars where the safety pack is different in a base trim and a top one. In such case, even if a top trim car is tested for crash - it would score poor mathematically since its base model lacks listed features.

Nevertheless - GNCAP should have been clearer and more careful in their wording.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
the car also lacks precense when compared to an i20.
Could you elaborate on what this exactly means? Are you saying it looks smaller than an i20? Or something else altogether?

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th January 2020 at 17:50.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 18:28   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think there is only one way to teach Maruti a safety lesson. Have the Maruti CEO & Tata CEO crash head-on into each other in a Baleno & Altroz. Now that ought to drive the message home, what say?
there will be a huge waiting list for tickets of that event!! The thought of impacting a solidly built car carrying an even more solidly built Gunther in it would blow the living daylights out of the opponent.
Reinhard is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 18:51   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaseer View Post
Extremely proud of my decision to choose a Tata product rather than a Maruti.
Even now when people ask why I chose a Nexon over a more fuel efficient and cost efficient Brezza, I show them the five star rating sticker at the back.
Nothing is more peaceful than the security of travelling in a safe car.
Hats off to Tata.
Now if only they could work more on the Harrier/Hexa and make it into a world class product.
Having bought a Tata Nexon XZA+ diesel couple of months ago, i can totally confirm with this feeling. In fact my Nexon is giving me great fuel efficiency as well, even though it is in its running in period. MID consistently shows overall efficiency of 20 kmpl in city+highway mixed conditions while highway efficiency is close to 25 kmpl when driven at 80-100 kmph. I hope this is not due to some error in calculations by MID.

I really like that Tata has chosen to tread this path to build comfortable and safest cars in those respective segments, since this is the parameter where there was a huge void from most of the leading manufacturers and hence a lot of opportunity was there for someone who had the potential but was struggling like Tata. Obviously they couldnt beat the competition in engine, transmission tech, overall fit and finesse, struggled to provide top notch aftersales service but, they cought their competitors napping in these very important parameters called safety and ride quality (especially when the buyers are also becoming increasingly aware about this) and their strategy has started to pay off by good success in terms of Tiago, Nexon and now Altroz expected to follow in the same direction. Hexa already is a well sorted car and I hope they sort out all the rough edges with the Harrier also in the upcoming AT variant launch so that each of their cars will be a very strong contender to be called best in class. Kudos to Tata!

As far as Altroz is concerned, i really wish Tata gives 5/6 speed Torque Converter in 1.5 L 110 bhp diesel AT variant as it will clearly make it the best in class hatchback for sure.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 16th January 2020 at 18:59.
Old 16th January 2020, 18:56   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboOnTarmac View Post

I am searching for my new car and waiting for BS6 models to emerge in next few weeks. Nexon is my top contender as of now and have already done the pre-booking. Altroz has now become the second contender with its only major drawback being not having the automatic option....
I second your thoughts, I'm in line to replace my ageing Punto. And my eyes have been set on Nexon facelift and Altroz! Amazing feat by TATA!

Can't wait to see these cars in flesh

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th January 2020 at 00:19. Reason: Trimmed quote.
punto_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 19:28   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Since these features are standard across trims now a days for most new cars - the score rarely changes regardless of the trim.
You are right!!!

GNCAP have used a top spec Altroz for the test and this is from autocar,

"It’s worth mentioning that while Global NCAP generally uses entry-level model for their tests, this time around, a higher-spec model was used. Global NCAP says that since safety features such as dual airbags, ABS with EBD and Corner Stability Control, seatbelt reminder, speed alert system and Isofix anchorages are standard across the range, a higher-spec Altroz was selected as it weighs more and would have faced a bigger challenge. Furthermore, as alloy rims are stronger than steel, the impact load on the structure during the crash would be higher"

So it was GNCAP which selected the top variant and with a logic behind.

BTW Congratulations to TATA...

Altroz is THE premium hatchback

Future products based on ALFA architecture will also be safe

Now go and market the USP TATA, make sure every Altroz rolling out of the floor carries something like this

"India's safest Premium hatchback"

Also please get the AT option in both fuel. Altroz needs all the back up.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 16th January 2020 at 19:46.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (20) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks