Team-BHP > Road Safety

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2020, 08:59   #121
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz gets a 5-star rating in the Global NCAP!

Tata has been doing wonders with their products getting better and better. It is time it pulls up its socks in the marketing department and launches blitzkrieg of a campaign with safety. And this can't be a single add, it has to be a series.
Old 17th January 2020, 09:25   #122
BHPian

I pray that all Tata dealers take this positively and change their attitude and market them as aggressively as possible. If Altroz hits a run rate of 10,000 cars a month, I am seriously considering upcoming Tata H2x hornbill. I sold off my celerio, waited for triber AMT. But I saw really disturning picture of on triber thread about accident of triber on team bhp.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...raccident2.jpg

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...raccident1.jpg

I had cancelled wagon r booking, once I saw triber and its weight being atleast 150 kgs higher than new wagon r. My thinking was, 150kg of sheet metal or just metal will make car lot safer compared to tin can sheet on Wagon R. But above two pictures on team bhp changed my mind.

I have put triber AMT on hod as of now.

From usage,resale and psychological point of view, I will not buy any vehicle which is not having a run rate of 5000 or 6000 cars a month. Otherwise I may end up being a loser.

I pray God, please change the hearts of show room executives selling at Tata motors and make this a successful product a real success.

Congratulations on Tata motors for making a 5 star car.
Old 17th January 2020, 09:57   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo0120 View Post
From usage,resale and psychological point of view, I will not buy any vehicle which is not having a run rate of 5000 or 6000 cars a month. Otherwise I may end up being a loser.
Loser? In terms of money or life?

What's more important? Few currency notes which can be turned into mere piece of papers by the govt. whenever they wish for some random adventures and held the demonetization?

Or it's the "do boond zindagi ki" (life) of yourself and your loved ones which is more important for you?

Just think about it.

Adding into the discussion, a well built, stronger and rigid car not only offers the safety, but ages well too, thus needs lesser attention fixing the lose and rattling body parts. This adds into comfort as well by keeping the car relatively silent for longer period during abusive Indian roads. So one should consider this point as well while buying a new car.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 17th January 2020 at 09:58.
tbppjpr is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 10:10   #124
BHPian

This is just great news. Just informed a friend to check TATA Altroz as he was keen to buy i10 Nios. Surely TATA has come quite far. Usually Tata cars were known for being taxi. But the way they have been refining the cars, I hope they catch their fellow companies sooner in term of sales.
And I am too a proud owner of Tata Tiago NRG.
BlackMamba24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 12:32   #125
BHPian

A long time ago one of my friends bought the Zest in Bengaluru. He was ecstatic about the performance and advocated that I should also buy it. I took a test drive (very early one) of the diesel Zest at the Delhi Golf Club. I drove it for around 20 mins. My assessment was that it is a fine improvement on the Vista and the older Indica based models but that Tata Motors was still not there. I did not feel enthusiastic enough to buy one. A couple of years later when I was looking to sell my 13 year old Honda City I wanted a small car to run about Delhi. I looked at the Suzuki offerings - Wagon R, Zen etc; the Ford - Fiesta, Figo; the Hyundai hatchbacks - i10 & i20; Honda - Brio and Amaze but was not happy. There were many reasons but for Ford the after sales and service. The Honda Brio was a poor value for money though the Amaze was a possibility. The i20 cost more than I wanted to spend. The Suzuki cars were tin cans, unsafe and aged very badly. I was in a fix and was thinking of either the Amaze or the i20 which were not really in my budget.

Finally with some diffidence, but excited to try it since the noise was very positive, was to test drive the Tata Tiago. I must say the first drive in a test car (not in great condition) changed my mind quite a bit. I had a second test drive and this was a better maintained test car. Anyway it finally boiled down to how would this brand new model behave as Tata Motors was doing something totally new after the Zest. My cousin, who is an Auto engineer from way back when, and was actively in the car maintenance business for the past 30 years or more was sceptical about the durability of the car and the service capability of Tata Motors based on their immediate past performance. However, I took the plunge and bought the Tiago XZ in Sep 2016. I have written a review on my experience in TBHP. My experience was really good including the sales process, inspection, handover and subsequent service. The car has done over 25000 km to date and is a pleasure to drive (of course it has drawbacks like NVH as it is only Rs 5 lakhs with a thoroughly comprehensive set of great accessories and fittings). I am much more confident especially after the Nexon experience people have had that they will continue to make forward strides in all areas of customer satisfaction. Their improvements in CS have been slow but the attitude of years is difficult to sweep out easily. I am very optimistic about the Altroz as they are making improvements in each new model - especially excited about their new platform. Mahindras and Tata's have done us proud in the car business as indigenous companies.

Last edited by ashokabs : 17th January 2020 at 12:39. Reason: One grammatical mistake corrected.
ashokabs is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 12:52   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwasvr View Post
Relieved to see Tata make some safe cars finally!
What are you implying exactly?
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 13:30   #127
BHPian

Quote:
I have put triber AMT on hod as of now.

Just my 2 cents, it's your money at the end of the day. No offence.

Buy a car because YOU want that car, you like the car, you will enjoy driving it, you will be happy travelling in it - not because of what others are buying.
Happy = subjective (whether you feel safer or you enjoy the bigger touchscreen more or because the MID gives out a higher FE reading or passerby's give envious to curious stares)

The 5000/6000 people who buy 1 car are no way responsible for your ownership experience and your number of kms that you will clock in your vehicle.

Yes, the logic behind this is often 'resale and availability of spares'. In that aspect, definitely some Nissan Micra or Fiat Punto owners maybe facing trouble. But spares availability is not an issue with Tata even for old models. As for resale, I believe TeamBHP has many posts on multiple threads that re-iterate the negligible difference in re-sale beyond the 5th to 7th year.
You also have most enthusiasts chiming in to say - you do NOT buy a car as an asset. You buy a car to drive it. Hence 'SALES experience' and Re-sale experience is not as important as 'Service Experience' and how YOU feel every time you sit in the car, start the engine and begin to drive.
Like they say - if you park it and don't look back, you bought the wrong car.

In the same vein, the current Used Car thread and Flops thread again re-affirm, that 'market flops in terms of sales' is NOT equal to BAD car always. In fact these are sought after by the knowledgeable folks for their perceivable poor re-sale.

The sales experience with Tata STILL needs a big boost. Marketing is improving but the sales folks at the showrooms need an overhaul. The SERVICE experience, on the other hand, has improved significantly over the last 3 years. Number of visits with newer cars are fewer and the attitude of SA to the efforts needed to resolve the issue has improved drastically (many stories of recent Tata owners happy about the service folks)
Dr.Suraj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 13:38   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I pray God, please change the hearts of show room executives selling at Tata motors and make this a successful product a real success.
Pardon me sir, it's the customers who need to be informed and intelligent and not the sales advisors. If cars are bought purely by sales figures then rest assured one will be disappointed. Also, a competent product will get sold despite shoddy dealers and to some extent poor service as well.

"Jo dikhta hai wahi bikta hai"(what you see is what sells) this proverb is beaten to death. The more the product gets sold the higher is its resale value. This is a Chicken and egg situation for a new entrant.

Certain chunk of success should also be credited to the initial buyers who take a leap of faith and buy the product. Easier for established brands, unfortunately not so for TML due to phenomenon mentioned in the above para.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 16:57   #129
BHPian

Kudos to Tata for the achievement! .

On a related note, what's the difference between Euro NCAP, Global NCAP and ASEAN NCAP? Also is it true that Euro NCAP is the stringest among these?
Old 17th January 2020, 16:57   #130
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
The backrest of the child seat for the 3-year-old child dummy (installed forward-facing with Isofix anchorages) unlatched during the crash and the dummy’s head made contact with the interior; this led to a deduction of points.

The above statement is from the news in autocar india.
Does it mean that fixing the child seat using seat belt will safer than doing with isofix. ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I'd say the child seat used wasn't much good. It broke. The child restraint system for such tests is specified by the carmaker. Perhaps Tata should have used a different vendor I wonder.
Certainly not, Isofix is always safer and better than 3 points belted installation for a child seat. However, it is not recommended to use the only Isofix above 3.5-year-old age / 15kg. Because the strength of Isofix anchorage is tested up to 30 kg, above that ISOFIT must be used / 3 point belted in addition to Isofix installation.

The reason behind this unlatching could be poor seat anchorage design from Tata or the improper installation of the seat and not the Child seat design problem. If you read the Child Occupant comments again, it says 'Backrest of rear-seat unlatched during crash resulting in point reduction'. This means the car seat was unlatched and not the child seat. As a consequence, there is a larger head excursion with the child head contacting the interior of the car.

These are the best child seat in the world and 95% EuroNCAP cars uses the same child seat from the same vendor.

I am a little bit confident on the seats used because these are the same seats, Mercedes, BMW, AUDI and every other European manufacturer uses in EURO NCAP and get a 5-star rating, that is higher demanding crash test than GNCAP.

Last edited by amitahirrao : 17th January 2020 at 17:24.
amitahirrao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 16:58   #131

What a fantastic achievement !!!! Way to go, TATA. Here is wishing that the achievement is advertised vigorously, resulting in great sales .
Old 17th January 2020, 18:01   #132
BHPian

One word....respect! For Tata Motors! I wish all the success to them!
Theyota is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 20:27   #133
BHPian

This result of TATA Altroz also highlights that many leading manufactures mislead customers by giving 6 airbags but a weak body shell. What is more important is a strong body shell than X number of airbags and Tata hits the bull's eye by giving a strong body shell with Altroz.

Well done Altroz , I'm proud of you. Tata has played a masterstroke in getting the car crash tested. Tata please market this achievement well, you may use pics of your crash test vs competition’s crash test in your brochures to show the reality to unaware customers. Hyundai and Maruti watch out. As far as I remember, the so called solid German cars(VW Vento/Polo) also managed to get only 4 stars.

Last edited by vb-saan : 18th January 2020 at 07:43. Reason: Edited as requested.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 21:11   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
As far as I remember, the so called solid German cars(VW Vento/Polo) also managed to get only 4 stars.
That is because Polo was lacking some secondary electronic safety features in the base variant, hence it was eligible only for 4 stars max. There are some criteria which need to be fullfilled before scroing any points during the crash test.

Initially the same VW Polo also scored zero when its non-airbag base variant was crash tested. This was because having airbag is mandatory for scoring any star during crash test even if the body shell is 'stable'. VW started offering two airbags in the base variant after this test.

VW is offering seamless roof since a decade in the Polo, and Altroz is the only second car after the Polo which is offering seamless roof, so overall its the Tata which is following VW's path on the safety front, which is good thing for the customers, if they understand the importance of safe and solid cars.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th January 2020 at 22:36. Reason: Fixed typos.
tbppjpr is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 23:06   #135
SR7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashwat.75 View Post
Kudos to Tata for the achievement! .

On a related note, what's the difference between Euro NCAP, Global NCAP and ASEAN NCAP? Also is it true that Euro NCAP is the stringest among these?
The different NCAPs have different tests and rating criteria. For example, GNCAP conducted only the frontal offset deformable barrier test (40% overlap) and the side mobile barrier test for the Altroz. EURO NCAP has full frontal rigid barrier test, frontal offset deformable barrier test, side mobile barrier crash test, side pole test, rear whiplash test, AEB & lane assist tests (advanced crash avoidance systems), so in a way it is more stringent than the GNCAP and ASEAN NCAP.

I would say the US IIHS tests are a bit more stringent than the EURO NCAP as, in addition IIHS also have driver and passenger side small overlap tests (25% of the width of the car crashes into a rigid barrier) - this puts maximum pressure on the car’s structure as a small portion bears the maximum brunt; IIHS also conducts a roof strength test where they crush the roof of the car and measure the amount of force it takes to push the roof in by 5 inches; IIHS also rates the headlights of the car and the ease of fixing the ISOFIX / LATCH for child seats. Moreover, for the side mobile barrier crash test, IIHS uses a barrier which resembles the front end of a large SUV / truck rather than a barrier resembling a sedan, so the impact is more on the sides of the vehicle being tested.

Overall, the crash tests are also dependant on the socio-economic factor of the countries. Say, people in Europe, Australia and the USA can afford better cars cars so, the tests are more stringent. Comparatively, LATIN NCAP and ASEAN NCAP are for developing markets, so these agencies do not have as many tests as their logic is that too much equipment on the car may render it inaccessible to the majority public price wise. Ironically and strangely, this is what the Maruti CEO was saying
SR7 is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed