Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2020, 17:25   #31
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300 gets a 5-star rating in the Global NCAP

Another wonderful news for the Indian auto industry. I am sure more and more manufacturers will follow suit if customers start talking about the achievements of Tata and Mahindra. I am even hopeful that Maruti too may finally change their strategy just like they did on features.

Remember the days when Marutis were the least feature rich in respective segments? Once Hyundai took the lead and customers started talking about that, Maruti sensed the trend and joined the bandwagon. Today Marutis are at least on par on the fancy features front, if not leading with similarly priced competition.

Here too if customers take note of what the Indian players are doing on safety front and vote with their wallets, all others including the market leader will be forced to adapt.
CoolFire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 17:41   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
It is not an feat of Mahindra's homegrown engineering itself but for TATA yes. I will eagerly wait if Mahindra can do crash test of Scorpio, XUV500, TUV, KUV and whatever .
Well to be fair to Mahindra, the Marazzo, which isn't a direct Ssangyong lift - also scored a respectable 4 stars already.

Being a Nexon owner myself, I would be tempted to draw the comparison too, but then - its best not to do so. Let Mahindra bask in the glory. They've earned it fair and square. They are offering a car with certified safety rating to our customers and thats what matters the most. Due credit to them.

Also - perhaps the Nexon's X1 platform yes was more developed in India. But then - the Altroz's Alpha architecture is developed with heavy inputs from Tata's UK and Italian R&D arms. So its not "100% Indian" per se either. Nothing is in today's globalized world. Ssangyong is owned by Mahindra yeah? They could have easily cut corners to save money at the expense of safety. They didn't.

As for the other cars - while I personally feel the Safari, Hexa are strong & sturdy - unless they are tested, they are on par with Scorpio-XUV5OO etc. Without statistical data, rest ends up being hopes and speculations. Both car makers are quite comparable in their current trajectory & we have to commend them both for picking safety over anything else (for whatever the reason!)
Reinhard is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 17:55   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Ahem. Did someone call out the TUV here? Fair enough, it (probably) has no crumple zones, being a body on frame vehicle. In fact, it doesn't crumple at all upon lesser impacts. (I rear-ended an autorickshaw and damaged it heavily but sustained only scratches on my TUV's front fender.)

As for how it handles a head-on collision, its high bonnet is quite handy. Here's how a non-airbag T4 variant fared versus your quintessential Indian lorry driving on the wrong side on a highway. No one was harmed.
Mahindra XUV300 gets a 5-star rating in the Global NCAP-img20191010wa0004.jpg

Mahindra XUV300 gets a 5-star rating in the Global NCAP-img20191010wa0001.jpg

In this same situation, would a different OEM's vehicle have fared better?

It's safe to say that Mahindra and Tata have the right intent. Within their bounds, they are trying to give us the safest vehicles possible. And they are going all out with EVs as well (XUV 300/Nexon EVs).
locusjag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 18:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

Stunning! Five stars with a two airbag version - the top spec is going to hit it out the park with its rating.

Seriously tempted to swap our Polo (safest car in India at the time we bought it) with an XUV300 now.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 18:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant, kudos to both Mahindra and Tata for achieving 5 star rating.
XUV300's achievement is even better than Nexon and Altroz as the model tested was with 2 airbags.
The six airbag variant would have bettered the score.
Very happy to see the change and the onus on safety.
Old 21st January 2020, 18:35   #36
BHPian

Great news and kudos to Mahindra for the achievement. It may be based on the Tivoli, but that shouldn't deprive Mahindra of it's due credit. Atleast they did not choose to downgrade the platform to make it lightweight or for cost reasons.

Their Marazzo too scored a decent 4-Stars, and if they can analyse where they lost that one star and do the necessary re-engineering, just like Tata did with the Nexon, they can have another 5-Star rated car in their stable.

I wish to see a time when manufacturers would compete with each other to voluntarily send their cars for crash testing and emerge victorious, rather than competing with each other for fuel economy claims.
ram.iyer95 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 18:48   #37
BHPian

Kudos to Mahindra and Tata.

Heartening to see that 2 Indian manufacturers are leading the way to make cars safer in India. However, I have no such expectations from Maruti. If they really intended to, would've happened long back. I sincerely hope that buyers will now purchase cars that have secured good scores. That seems to be the only way to make others pull up their socks.
Old 21st January 2020, 19:12   #38
BHPian

Congratulations to both Tata and Mahindra. Extremely proud of their efforts.

Though we all appreciate the fact that Indian manufacturers are making safest vehicles as much as possible, the happiness will be shortlived. Things will be back to normal when after a few days we will see a whole page advertisement about a limited edition S-presso showing its unlimited extra stickers on the front page of prominent newspapers and advertisements for cars like Altroz or XUV300 will be pushed to corners of the back pages offering discounts.

Teambhp should launch a new sticker showing five GNCAP stars below the 'live to drive ' part and give it to prospective owners of Nexon, Altroz and XUV300 as a goodwill gesture. This will encourage others to opt for safer cars and create awareness.

Encourage people to opt for safer cars. One may never know, but we might be able to save a life or a family in case of accidents by helping them buy a safe vehicle.

Tata and Mahindra should be repeatedly applauded in various forums, show, expos, etc. to make them believe that their efforts are encouraged and it will motivate them further to improve standards.
DrCar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 19:15   #39
BHPian

Great news

Even though XUV3OO is based on Tivoli, it doesn't take anything away from Mahindra.

Actually , my respect to Mahindra is increased in folds. While many manufacturers are selling their global cars with inferior quality and safety in India , Mahindra is selling a car which is safer than the one it is based on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
There is much difference between TATA and Mahindra crash test report. Whereas for TATA both cars Nexon and Altroz are developed in the India itself whereas XUV300 platform is completely imported from SsangYong Tivoli (Korean engineering).

It is not an feat of Mahindra's homegrown engineering itself but for TATA yes. I will eagerly wait if Mahindra can do crash test of Scorpio, XUV500, TUV, KUV and whatever .
Mahindra had already proven that they are vastly improved and capable with the 4-star Marazzo. I believe the next gen XUV5OO will be their first homegrown 5-star GNCAP rated car.

Last edited by Asish_VK : 21st January 2020 at 19:18.
Asish_VK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 19:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Great news!

I really hope this is the start of five star vehicles from Mahindra and that they have the same plan for the next gen Scorpio and XUV500.

When I told the Renault sales rep that being based on Kwid, I am not sure about the safety credentials of the Triber, he had no answer. A blank face, when asked about the Global NCAP test.

If both Tata and Mahindra keep their marketing on point, and even the common man start asking questions about safety, I am sure other manufacturers will have no other option, but to follow suit.
ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 20:10   #41
BHPian

Wow... Indian manufactures are on a roll. Brilliant Mahindra, way to go ...
Old 21st January 2020, 20:14   #42
OSH
BHPian

Just awesome. Now I'm waiting for Mahindra and Tata to start a very aggressive campaign directly poking those manufacturers who don't care a shit about the lives of those who trust them. All indians should really wake-up now and start appreciating manufacturers who are going all out to provide us safe cars.

Last edited by OSH : 21st January 2020 at 20:16.
OSH is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 20:35   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCar View Post
Congratulations to both Tata and Mahindra. Extremely proud of their efforts.

Teambhp should launch a new sticker showing five GNCAP stars below the 'live to drive ' part and give it to prospective owners of Nexon, Altroz and XUV300 as a goodwill gesture. This will encourage others to opt for safer cars and create awareness.
I think this will be a great initiative that can teach people the essence of traveling in a safe (4 or 5 star rated) vehicle. Especially when it comes from an acclaimed platform like T-bhp.

I don't want to comment on people's choice of spresso or any other below par safety rated cars. But buyers should take safety seriously.

Last but not the least, well done Mahindra and Tata.
Old 21st January 2020, 20:44   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayankm View Post
I don't want to comment on people's choice of spresso or any other below par safety rated cars.
SPresso hasn't been tested by GNCAP.

Although a fairly accurate assumption can be made with the manufacturer's past record - IMHO, let's not jump into a conclusion and state it as a fact till tested.

Also, the cheapest car with a good star rating is still only from the premium hatchback space and above. Thats still unaffordable space for a large number of car buyers.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 20:50   #45
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300 gets 5 stars in Global NCAP crash test

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Wow Mahindra!

First the Marazzo and now the XUV300, though this time, the credit has to go to Ssangyong. Still, Mahindra brought it here and kudos for that. I guess the slight overpricing is justified now.

If MSIL was a person, he would feel mighty embarrassed. Come on Maruti, follow Tata and Mahindra, they have less than 5% of your market share, and still strive to improve in crucial aspects of the car.

I wish Mahindra pulls the plug on the 0 star embarrassment - the scorpio. But again, when Maruti can thrive on selling 0 stars, why shouldn't Mahindra?
Yes Sir. Right Products, made with Right Mindset, Right Intentions. Now they only deserve the right result. The market needs to appreciate them and with a paradigm shift thinking away from only about FE. My best wishes for both the manufacturers.
Guru_GPS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed