Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2020, 22:40   #46
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300 gets a 5-star rating in the Global NCAP

It's awesome to see we are moving towards safer cars. The whole discussion is driving around safety. Much needed trend for our market.

Child safety first time highlighted with Mahindra XUV300 and i believe this is a game-changer for Mahindra.

Maruti has an opportunity to make frugal as well as 5-star safety rating cars if they want to retain a 52% market share.

It will be interesting to see how these GNCAP results reflect in sales numbers in the coming months for Mahindra and Tata.
Old 22nd January 2020, 05:15   #47
Senior - BHPian

I would like to comment on a couple of factors:
1) The fact that XUV300 is a Ssyangyong Tivoli, but thankfully Mahindra have not 'underbuilt' it for Indian requirements- take that, Renault, Maruti, Hyundai !
2) Its a good thing that this crash testing is happening in the current market conditions, where people are cautious about parting with their money. In this situation, a Good Safety badge can be a clincher, and help distinguish from the myriad choices. In a booming market, these things would have been ignored.
fhdowntheline is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 06:27   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Very well done Mahindra

Whoever won the argument (within Mahindra and Tata Motors) with the bean counters to make this possible deserves great appreciation.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 07:38   #49

It is good to see Indian manufacturers competing on safety of it's own people. It is also good to know that the varient with 2 airbags is crash tested which is more likely to be the entry or the mid varient and draws a lot of buyer's attention. Mahindras and the Tatas may not be offering flashy features but this is what they offer, the safety .
Old 22nd January 2020, 08:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

Awesome news. Kudos to Mahindra for taking it to next level. First Marazzo with 4 stars & now XUV3OO with a full 5*

Its heartening to see the Indian manufacturers churning out these amazing safe products one after the other. They(both Mahindra & Tata) should market this aggressively till the time our 'Kitna-Deti-Hai' obsessed crowd gets the idea that a safe car is better than just-frugal cars.

Wish the Indo-Jap & Korean stalwarts feel some shame & stop their sub-standard cost-saving techniques for our market.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 10:41   #51
BHPian

Shame on MSIL. Despite market leader for so many years, there were no significant efforts on making their cars safer.

Well done Mahindra and Tata for focusing and delivering on very important safety aspect!
Swap_Abarth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:24   #52
BHPian

Less than 2 months back we had our first baby, and since then Ive also been focussing on the safety score for children, and im so glad that the XUV300 scores so well. Its awesome to see Indian manufacturers focussing on child safety, and im sure things will get better with time.
My next car purchase will definitely have child safety (and occupant safety) as importantly weighted as FTD factor, build quality, comfort and reliability.
We also recently purchased a Britax child car seat, seeing that it was used in most crash tests. Will write a proper review in the Child Seat thread.
satya180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:34   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

David Ward, President & CEO, Global NCAP:

Mahindra XUV300 gets a 5-star rating in the Global NCAP-1.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:48   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swap_Abarth View Post
Shame on MSIL. Despite market leader for so many years, there were no significant efforts on making their cars safer
Completely agree! SHAME on you Maruti. (Btw, we've always been a Maruti-owning family, we own the new Swift now and can say from personal experience that the 'tin-can' label is very accurate!)

Great from Tata and Mahindra to make safer cars for the Indian market. Wish the 'market leader' starts thinking about safer cars now too!
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:49   #55
BANNED

Off topic: If I remember correctly, Anand Mahindra congratulated TML on Twitter for getting 5-star rating for Nexon in crash tests, but couldn't find anyone from TML congratulating Mahindra for the same. Cool and class gesture by Anand Mahindra.
Old 22nd January 2020, 13:19   #56
BHPian

It's funny how buying a car teaches you a lot about yourself. I was looking for an upgrade on my Ritz and really wanted to buy a Tata or a Mahindra just to honor Indian manufacturers who have really picked up the game. I also drove an automatic for the first time in 10 years and loved the convience offered by it. Based on all these factors, picked up the XUV 300 W6AMT and I absolutely love the car. You can feel the weight every time you enter and exit the car. The Italian imported AMT is very good once it settles in and the ride quality is superb. I do miss Android Auto and a rear AC but I really wanted a safe car within my budget and that took priority. Am a product owner of this car and happy that it now came out with 5 stars.
akshay_ritz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 13:42   #57
BHPian

Truly delighted with another positive result. After hearing about Altroz was wondering, Teesra Kaun? but this is a wonderful news in such a short time.
Indian consumers are slowly getting more options at hand and this only sets the safety bar higher.
Old 22nd January 2020, 15:37   #58
BANNED

This is really good to see that XUV300 scores 5 star rating in Global NCAP. I always had a feeling that this is really a nicely built car. I think along with other saftey norms, government should think of having crash testing mandatory for all car manufacturers. This will be a good lesson for few manufacturers here India who just don't pay attention towards built quality of cars.
Old 22nd January 2020, 16:34   #59
BHPian

The interesting thing about the crash tests is that they are done on the lowest base model. Therefore higher version might be considered even more safer as they might have some more safety features like additional airbags. I hope people put their wallet where their mouth is and buy cars which are rated higher on safety ratings. This will compel others to also work on making their cars more safer.
Old 22nd January 2020, 17:00   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
I heard from my cousin who works for TATA Motors that Tigor has gone for crash test and is expected to secure 4 stars. This will also apply to the Tiago. Good times ahead.
It is now official. Tigor / Tiago scored 4 stars in GNCAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swap_Abarth View Post
Shame on MSIL. Despite market leader for so many years, there were no significant efforts on making their cars safer.
MSIL has Brezza scoring 4 stars in GNCAP. But I don't believe they are actively advertising it as it would then make their other cars safety obvious.

Capricorn is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed