Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:25   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago/Tigor achieved 4 Stars GNCAP

Great Job Tata!!

On a related note, I am surprised that why hasn't the Harrier been Crash tested yet - even after a year of launch. It'll be great for promoting it as well. Even though it'll too in all likelihood get a 5 star rating. It might even get a 5 star rating for the occupants of the rear seat - given the high quality OMEGA platform
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:31   #17
BHPian

One thing I noticed is that Child Protection score(34) is higher than that of Nexon(25) and Altroz(29)

Another high NCAP rating for a Tata! Kudos to the Indians, Tata and Mahindra for putting safety above fuel efficiency!

Last edited by Neeraj1903 : 22nd January 2020 at 14:32.
Neeraj1903 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:33   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeraj1903 View Post
One thing I noticed is that Child Protection score(34) is higher than that of Nexon(25) and Altroz(29)

Another high NCAP rating for a Tata! Kudos to the Indians, Tata and Mahindra for putting safety above fuel efficiency!
And that too when those two cars offer ISOFIX mounts while the Tiago/Tigor don't.
shivamk11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:41   #19
BHPian

Absolutely brilliant. In the world of "kitna deti hai" be someone's "kitni safe hai?"

What a series of events for Indian car manufacturers. Earlier Nexon, later Altroz, recently XUV300 and now Tiago/Tigor cousins. I am delighted to see that Tata and Mahindra are serious about giving safe cars to our market that are at par with the global market.

Something Maruti badly needs to learn otherwise that day isn't far when they will be dethroned.
uditsharma01 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:44   #20
MSC
BHPian

This is really a pleasant surprise that Indian homegrown manufacturers working hard and scoring high in terms of car safety. First Nexon, then Altroz followed by Tiago and Tigor, then Mahindra too not lagging behind brought up Marrazo and Xuv300.
Both homegrown manufacturers are usually considered underdogs. But their combined actions are really worth praising.
What is absolutely heartbreaking and disgusting is absolute silence and next to no effort to make safer cars by the big two of Indian car manufacturers.
MSC is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:53   #21
BHPian

My only question is, why are so many GNCAP test results coming out all of a sudden one after the other? Does GNCAP test cars from one country in a bunch?
mayd85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 15:18   #22
BHPian

Getting the Tigor /Tiago cousins to earn 4 star safety is an even greater achievement for Tata compared to the Nexon and Altroz, since these cars are in the low margin, low budget segments where pretty much no other car would manage more than 1 star if ever tested.

Kudos to Tata for bringing safer cars to the affordable segments and for keeping the flag high for Indian engineering.

On a side note to the Moderators, can we not have a dedicated NCAP thread where all NCAP (any of the NCAP results along with BNVSAP results when tested) results are collated for all cars available in the market that have been tested.

That way we have a reference guide for all vehicles currently in sale which have been tested.
nmenon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 15:39   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I will play the party spoiler here. Nice to see good rating on home grown cars but some points to ponder upon:

Quoting from the official report:

Quote:
ADULT OCCUPANT

The protection offered to the driver and passenger’s head and neck was good. Driver’s chest showed marginal protection and passenger’s chest
showed adequate protection. Driver and passenger’s knees showed marginal protection as they impact dangerous structures behind the facia. The
bodyshell was rated as unstable and it was not capable of withstanding further loadings. Footwell area was rated as unstable.
The vehicle has standard
SBR for driver and passenger. The car has standard ABS
Check the statement in bold. The car has been rated with an unstable body structure. There are comments in this regard and here is the specific rating.

Tata Tiago and Tigor score 4 stars in GNCAP-1234.jpg

My personal opinion is that there are too many 'oranges' than I would have liked to see in this image:

Tata Tiago and Tigor score 4 stars in GNCAP-123.jpg

That is not too different from that of Swift's rating if you recall. But Swift got 2 stars! Also, they had erroneously specified as the Swift having a double channel ABS rather than 4 which actually it had. It was an elementary error to make by such an agency. Later they silently updated their report but the overall score remained the same. Link: https://gaadiwaadi.com/global-ncap-s...h-test-report/

Not comparing this report to Tiago or taking sides with MSIL, but if Tiago's body structure is unstable, then 4 stars doesn't really inspire much confidence in me. Probably it is the arithmetic adding up for the score on various parameters which helped it gain 4 stars rating. Not unfair but a policy that NCAP may need to revisit.

Last edited by saket77 : 22nd January 2020 at 16:03.
saket77 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 16:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps they mean that the car cannot be repaired after the impact.
Old 22nd January 2020, 16:28   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Actually none of the cars after such an impact should be repaired. A monocoque or the body shell simply cannot be the same after any such repair. The less we speak about cross members, the better.

Unstable body structure means airbags wouldn't help it make any safer.

Last edited by saket77 : 22nd January 2020 at 16:29.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 16:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

The body structure is rated unstable means a crash at a higher speed than tested would have caused the car body to disintegrate. It is definitely not a good thing, but passable considering the segment Tiago is in and the fact that higher segment Swift scored just two stars. My gripe with Maruti is that they sell the same car with different star ratings in different countries. That just shows their arrogance. A quick google search reveals Ford Figo is also a car with 4-star rating and an unstable body structure.
padmrajravi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 16:46   #27
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

More than the other manufacturers learning something from TATA, I wish us Indians learn something from them and BUY these safe cars.

Well done indeed.
ACM is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 16:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
The body structure is rated unstable means a crash at a higher speed than tested would have caused the car body to disintegrate. It is definitely not a good thing, but passable considering the segment Tiago is in and the fact that higher segment Swift scored just two stars. My gripe with Maruti is that they sell the same car with different star ratings in different countries. That just shows their arrogance. A quick google search reveals Ford Figo is also a car with 4-star rating and an unstable body structure.
Thanks for the description, I believe the Zest and Aspire also came across with 4 stars and unstable structures.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 17:09   #29
BHPian

Much awaited result!! This will definitely add value to the brand 'Tata Motors'!
If Tata Motors focus on improving its service network quality, it will reflect in its market share as well.
Indians are demanding for safer cars!! This should be an eye-opener for the market 'kings'!!

Last edited by Achilles : 22nd January 2020 at 17:11.
Achilles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 17:13   #30
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago and Tigor score 4 stars in GNCAP

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd January 2020 at 07:56.
RaSing is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks