Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2020, 17:27   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago/Tigor achieved 4 Stars GNCAP

Back to back great news. Well done Tata

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayd85 View Post
My only question is, why are so many GNCAP test results coming out all of a sudden one after the other? Does GNCAP test cars from one country in a bunch?
I guess it has something to do with #SaferCarsforIndia campaign by GNCAP
Old 22nd January 2020, 17:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Thanks for the description, I believe the Zest and Aspire also came across with 4 stars and unstable structures.
Aspire in India scored 3 star, but the export variant scored 4 star.
Achilles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 17:57   #33
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago and Tigor score 4 stars in GNCAP

How does the Global NCAP decide which model car to test?
Does the manufacturer request to test a particular model and then NCAP randomly buys a showroom car and tests? Or NCAP decides on its own which model car to test?

Because cars like Ford EcoSport/Endeavour, Hyundai i20/Verna, Honda Amaze/City, Skoda Rapid/VW Vento, Toyota Fortuner/Innova, Maruti Suzuki S Cross have not yet been tested even though some of these are in market for over a decade?
Old 22nd January 2020, 18:09   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
How does the Global NCAP decide which model car to test?
Does the manufacturer request to test a particular model and then NCAP randomly buys a showroom car and tests? Or NCAP decides on its own which model car to test?

Because cars like Ford EcoSport/Endeavour, Hyundai i20/Verna, Honda Amaze/City, Skoda Rapid/VW Vento, Toyota Fortuner/Innova, Maruti Suzuki S Cross have not yet been tested even though some of these are in market for over a decade?
Global NCAP decides the car which is to be tested. This is the reason why the Harrier hasn't been tested yet.

The only role of the manufacturer is to provide a car, that too one which is a production spec variant in case it hasn't been launched. Else, NCAP buys one for crash tests itself if it is on sale.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 18:29   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamk11 View Post
Will it be safe to assume that this rating applies to pre facelift models as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Platform is same and only minor cosmetic changes in the newer versions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamk11 View Post
Hopefully next generation will fix the unstable body structure too and score even more.
Hello gentlemen, I am not a Tiago / Tigor owner; but would like to share an incident that left me impressed.

While working as an electrical contractor, 2 years back; a top end Tiago had a head on collision with a Tata 407 near my site. The situation was really bad as it was a really hard hit. The Tiago occupants were seriously injured too; especially the driver, but everyone survived and came out alive from that mishap. But I tell you guys, if it was some other car - there was absolutely no chance of survival in the kind of crash that mini hatchback went through on that day.

Congrats to Tata motors, Altroz and Nexon doing good was fine, this time they have literally hit the ball out of the park. They scored 4 stars where others are struggling for even 2.
VKumar is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 19:11   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Another Great result for Tata with the Tiago, after the Altroz & the Nexon's 5 Star performance.

Just to add a perspective, all other Tiago's contemporaries are languishing at the bottom of the heap.
- Swift (2 star)
- WagonR (2 star)
- Santro (2 star)
- Kwid (1 star)

One can only hope that other manufacturers will take a cue from Tata and improve their cars' safety ratings, even if it means marginally increasing prices. IMHO, the Indian consumer will have to become more safety conscious in order for that to happen. As long as they are able to sell their cars quite well despite shoddy safety standards, manufacturers are unlikely to bother.
Old 22nd January 2020, 19:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

Here”s looking forward to “Kitne Taare Hain” as the buzzword in this decade. And while we are at it, whatever happened to the Bharat NCAP and its infamous 48kph parameter?
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 19:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

Exactly what I predicted a week ago. Quoting myself from Altroz thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
P.S: Tiago also should be sent for this test voluntarily. Am sure it would score atleast a solid 4star if not 5
However disappointing to see bodyshell rated 'unstable'. I remember even Zest had scored similar 4 star but bodyshell was rated unstable. With unstable bodyshell can we call the car safe? Yes its definitely safer than its peers(and by far TBH) like WagonR/Santro/Swift/Kwid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
12 lakhs - Kia Seltos 5*
Guess this shouldn't be in the list. That was the aussie spec Seltos. Indian spec car is yet to be tested AFAIK.

Last edited by SoumenD : 22nd January 2020 at 20:09.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 19:51   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Global NCAP decides the car which is to be tested. This is the reason why the Harrier hasn't been tested yet.

The only role of the manufacturer is to provide a car, that too one which is a production spec variant in case it hasn't been launched. Else, NCAP buys one for crash tests itself if it is on sale.
GNCAP usually picks up cars on it's choice. And usually they pick it up from the market, and not directly from the manufacturer.

But a manufacturer can also sponsor to get the tests done on their cars - which i believe is the case with TATA Motors. There is no way GNCAP would have picked up Altroz or even the new Tigor otherwise.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 20:04   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Another Great result for Tata with the Tiago, after the Altroz & the Nexon's 5 Star performance.

Just to add a perspective, all other Tiago's contemporaries are languishing at the bottom of the heap.
- Swift (2 star)
- WagonR (2 star)
- Santro (2 star)
- Kwid (1 star)
I only wish that, now, the market starts reciprocating and these two come up with good monthly numbers. All the best TATA!
Old 22nd January 2020, 20:09   #41
BHPian

About time, Tata. I was kind of left thinking, that Tata wasn't very confident in the older Tiago which would inevitably perform less effectively in the crash tests than the newer Nexon and Altroz. 4-stars, wow! We haven't had such impressive results this side of the segment anywhere close for years since the Polo and Etios Liva.
That said, it's only "extraordinary" when compared to its rivals from Suzuki and Hyundai. And I suppose that's a good thing? Maybe for city use, it is. Perfect. It's reassuring. For highways, maybe stick to your Volkswagen Jetta.
Old 22nd January 2020, 21:07   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm actually surprised here, and this is a downer IMO. The bodyshell gets rated unstable and unable to withstand further loading is not something we expect from Tata Motors these days. I'm expecting them to fix the issue and soon another set of tests look probable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Also, they had erroneously specified as the Swift having a double channel ABS rather than 4 which actually it had. It was an elementary error to make by such an agency. Later they silently updated their report but the overall score remained the same.
Another error I noticed in this report was that they have mentioned that they are using base model, but it doesn't take an eagle's eye to spot that the car they have tested in a top of the line Tigor. These careless mistakes raises doubts on the process of Global NCAP. When they cannot differentiate between a top end model and a base one, or when they cannot count the number of brake lines, what more can you expect!

Tata Tiago and Tigor score 4 stars in GNCAP-capture.png

Nevertheless, this doesn't take away from the fact that Tiago is the safest among all cars tested in its segment, and I'm sure Tata will make changes and strive for full stars.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 21:54   #43
BHPian

'Bodyshell, GNCAP, Isofix, 5 stars or 4 stars, Safer cars for India, Build quality, etc' are the words that we are constantly bombarded in our mind since last few months.

We have started discussing more about safety in all the recent new threads.
Discussions on things like Internet inside, connectivity, engine performance, fuel efficiency, etc. have taken a backseat.

I like it where all this is leading us. Our mindset is changing now.

We should appreciate Tata and Mahindra to make us understand the importance of safety and diverting all our thoughts on the same with constant emphasis on safety.

People are complaining about engine performance of Tiago. Remember, not everyone is an enthusiast driver and they don't need a powerful car. They are happy if cars takes them from point A to B comfortably.
For enthusiasts out there, there is always JTP version available.
DrCar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

Tata should affix the 'star' sticker on their cars aka energy efficiency ratings in appliances - one just cannot miss it!

That said, is it correct in assuming that a 4 star rating needs to be seen in the context of the era the test is carried out?

I believe NCAP frequently updates its testing parameters (probably making it more stringent) so that a 4 star tested car in 2020 is more safe than a 4 star rated car tested 5 years back. Then there are many cars which need to be re-tested
GeeTee TSI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:05   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post
Not sure what to make of this though. I'm quite confused by the detailed report, while it's pretty good, would have expected 3 stars for an unstable structure. Not sure though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

Check the statement in bold. The car has been rated with an unstable body structure. There are comments in this regard and here is the specific rating.

Not comparing this report to Tiago or taking sides with MSIL, but if Tiago's body structure is unstable, then 4 stars doesn't really inspire much confidence in me. Probably it is the arithmetic adding up for the score on various parameters which helped it gain 4 stars rating. Not unfair but a policy that NCAP may need to revisit.
If you read the GNCAP fact sheet, they explain what they mean by the body rated as unstable:

Quote:
The bodyshell was rated as unstable and it was not capable of withstanding further loadings. Footwell area was rated as unstable
This means that the body has reached the limit of what it can withstand. A stable rating would mean that the body can take more impact loading.

While I agree that the many orange zones are not great, comparing the Tiago with direct competitor cars such as the Celerio, Tiago is leagues ahead.
Motard_Blr is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks