Team-BHP > Road Safety

Old 25th January 2020, 11:34   #1
BHPian

Default No Canada / Australian visas if you flout traffic rules in Ludhiana

I found this article on Economic Times where the Ludhiana Police has launched a campaign. Apparently the Canadian and Australian Embassies have been seeking data from the police on traffic offences committed by the applicants of long term visas. I think it's a brilliant idea - "You want Canada visa? Drive properly then!"

What do you think?

No Canada, Australian visas if you flout traffic rules in Ludhiana

Last edited by aah78 : 25th January 2020 at 20:20. Reason: Link fixed.
nikhilthegunner is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 12:08   #2
BHPian

Default re: No Canada / Australian visas if you flout traffic rules in Ludhiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
I found this article on Economic Times where the Ludhiana Police has launched a campaign. Apparently the Canadian and Australian Embassies have been seeking data from the police on traffic offences committed by the applicants of long term visas. I think it's a brilliant idea - "You want Canada visa? Drive properly then!"

If the middle east were to do this in Kerala, the road situation there will improve ten-fold
sriks is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 12:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is the most hilariously Punjabi thing I’ve seen all day! Kudos to the person who came up with this. On a serious note, is it true that traffic offences like overspeeding or jumping a red light or getting challaned for an expired PUC.... do they carry any weight in a visa application?
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 14:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

This is ridiculous. Brilliant, but ridiculous! Given rampant and uncontrolled emigration to these two countries in the more recent past, I think they might be using this as an excuse to deny visas. If the consequence is better traffic sense in India, so be it!
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 20:23   #5
BHPian

I support this, if I were an Australian or Canadian I would definitely want someone in my country only if he/she is a sane driver and since I am an Indian, if this brings change in my people for good, what more could I ask for.
Old 25th January 2020, 22:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
This is ridiculous. Brilliant, but ridiculous! Given rampant and uncontrolled emigration to these two countries in the more recent past, I think they might be using this as an excuse to deny visas. If the consequence is better traffic sense in India, so be it!
It depends on the offence. Unpaid fines is one story, DUI, hit and run etc for example is an entirely different kettle of fish and counts for visa denial and/or explanation required.

If you have unpaid parking fines in at least some US counties and fly out of the country you're more than likely to have an outstanding warrant against you that you don't know about, till you try to renew your visa or fly back into the states.
Old 28th January 2020, 09:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: No Canada / Australian visas if you flout traffic rules in Ludhiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
It depends on the offence. Unpaid fines is one story, DUI, hit and run etc for example is an entirely different kettle of fish and counts for visa denial and/or explanation required.
Yup. Totally agree, especially with drunken driving. Other countries should also implement this all over India. Hopefully, this will ensure people to follow the traffic rules, especially those who are looking to move to these countries. Minor offences and unpaid fines should be left out of this. All depends on how well this is implemented. Only time will tell.

This, along with the stiff fines, should make a considerable difference and we should see a reduction in the number of serious offences, provided everything continues to be strictly implemented.

Last edited by ChiragM : 28th January 2020 at 09:57.
Old 28th January 2020, 09:58   #8
BHPian

Default Re: No Canada / Australian visas if you flout traffic rules in Ludhiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
"You want Canada visa? Drive properly then!"
Brilliant move!

On the flip side, bribery for traffic related offences would have immediately shot up 10-fold in Ludhiana! Traffic police will now think of funding their retirements as well!

<Note: No offence intended. If it can, let it tickle some funny bones!>

Most Viewed