Team-BHP > Road Safety

Old 13th February 2020, 21:27   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Rumour: Maruti won't send cars to Global NCAP for crash tests

Most irresponsible statement I’d like to term it as because of this comment alone from the top executive of MSIL!

Quote:
As far as Maruti Suzuki is concerned, we believe that all safety regulations which are mandated by the government and the recently introduced offset side-impact and pedestrian regulation we are meeting..going forward SIAM as a body with the manufacturer are working to bring out the BNCAP. Anything that is led or driven by the government and recognized by the government is something that we would be looking at. Any other agency, it’s okay for the strategy of other manufacturers but Maruti Suzuki would like to work within the ambit of the Indian government regulations
So basically whatever other companies are following is useless as per this gentleman?

I strongly hope Tata & Mahindra get their pieces of cakes through good sales vs Maruti.

My next car is surely not a Maruti - this is my oath

I seriously don’t mind living with a car that has niggles now & then but guarantees the safety, than to live with those from manufacturers attitude like this, that won’t guarantee the safety of the occupants.

Good luck with your mentality & maintaining the goodwill you’d all these days.
gururajrv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 13:51   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

That Maruti Suzuki's vehicles are being awarded zero stars in the Global NCAP tests, is appalling.

Yet, how does the same manufacturer selling the same models elsewhere get good ratings? I'm talking about Australia, where Suzuki sells many of its cars that are manufactured in, and exported from, India.

Take a look at the ANCAP ratings for Suzuki cars sold in Australia in recent years:

Rumour: Maruti won't send cars to Global NCAP for crash tests-ancap.jpg

Suzuki (or any other manufacturer) MUST submit their cars for the ANCAP rating before they can sell their cars in Australia. The Swift gets a 5-star rating, and so does the S-Cross. The Jimny gets 3 stars, but then, so does the Jeep Wrangler (largely to do with lack of pedestrian protection, due to the shape of the vehicles).

Not that Suzuki cars in Australia are any stronger (read: heavier) than their Indian counterparts - so that rules out the "tin can" theory, about thinner sheet metal being used for Indian cars. Perhaps this has to do with the number of airbags? So how is it that GNCAP tests Tata and Mahindra cars with 2 airbags, and gives them 5-star ratings? Why do they even test cars that have NO airbags, just to give them zero stars? Any donkey could predict that Adult Occupant Protection in cars with zero airbags will be zero.

So why the difference? Why does the Suzuki Swift as tested by Global NCAP get 2 stars, while that tested by Australian NCAP get 5 stars? If Maruti Suzuki is sending the top end Swift to both GNCAP and ANCAP, why the huge difference in perceived safety?

Is there something happening at Global NCAP that we don't know of, but the bigwigs at MSIL do? Amongst all the NCAPs, GLobal NCAP is the only one that is not government-controlled - it is a registered charity in the UK, run by the Towards Zero Foundation.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 14:17   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Is there something happening at Global NCAP that we don't know of, but the bigwigs at MSIL do? Amongst all the NCAPs, GLobal NCAP is the only one that is not government-controlled - it is a registered charity in the UK, run by the Towards Zero Foundation.
Point taken but do we know the test criteria that these different xNCAP follow? I heard Euro NCAP is most stringent but in what sense? ANCAP gives 5 stars to Swift but how different they are from GNCAP? We can easily tell the difference if the exact test conditions are told clearly.
Airbags could be one but think of the build quality of TATA Vs. Maruti cars. A Maruti car with 6 airbags getting hit from side could be equivalent to TATA car with no side airbags due to heavy sheet metal and the sensors fitted on the dummy's body give same reading. But again are the dummies fitted with same sensor positions, same number of sensors and same precision sensors? Again what is the impact scale measured to determine the points scored? All these answers are needed to clearly calling out the impact test results rather than just counting the stars awarded.
Perhaps 2 stars of GNCAP are equivalent to 5 stars of ANCAP . To solve a set of unknowns some unknowns need to be assumed or they cannot be unknowns.

That way we need an Indian NCAP (INCAP) to sell any car in India with its 4 stars?

Last edited by rajivtelang : 14th February 2020 at 14:30.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 14:28   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Perhaps this has to do with the number of airbags? So how is it that GNCAP tests Tata and Mahindra cars with 2 airbags, and gives them 5-star ratings? Why do they even test cars that have NO airbags, just to give them zero stars? Any donkey could predict that Adult Occupant Protection in cars with zero airbags will be zero.
While testing cars having zero airbags and subsequently giving them zero stars might just be a statement, we do get to know about the structural integrity of the car platform when some of them get called out for being unstable at the test speed.

Example : Volkswagen Polo
No Airbags : 0 stars
2 Airbags : 4 stars

But if I remember right then the structure was rated stable in both cases.
JithinR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 14:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
While testing cars having zero airbags and subsequently giving them zero stars might just be a statement, we do get to know about the structural integrity of the car platform when some of them get called out for being unstable at the test speed.

Example : Volkswagen Polo
No Airbags : 0 stars
2 Airbags : 4 stars

But if I remember right then the structure was rated stable in both cases.
Whatever be the star rating or no matter how the stars shine, we have a simple law of conservation of momentum studied in physics way back in 12th standard.
M1V1 = M2V2
Simply said when two cars collide each other the momentum (mass into velocity) will be conserved and obviously this equation will toss away light weight vehicle(assuming both are having same speed). Now what matters is the safety inside and lighter the car you need more cushioning around you. Airbags will definitely protect with extra cushion around and hence the results.
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 15:36   #36
BHPian

Kudos to Maruti for being open (if not fully transparent) about their approach towards safety. They have clearly parked the ball in government’s court.

Additionally, their statement shows a lot of confidence. Especially because it comes at a time where the competition is gunning big on GNCAP ratings.

Is Maruti being overconfident and missing the writing on the wall? Or will they once again come across as the smartest guys in the room. The coming few months will be interesting. I would specifically keep an eye on Altroz vs Baleno sales numbers.
Old 14th February 2020, 16:45   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Kudos to Maruti for being open (if not fully transparent) about their approach towards safety. They have clearly parked the ball in government’s court.

Additionally, their statement shows a lot of confidence. Especially because it comes at a time where the competition is gunning big on GNCAP ratings.

Is Maruti being overconfident and missing the writing on the wall? Or will they once again come across as the smartest guys in the room. The coming few months will be interesting. I would specifically keep an eye on Altroz vs Baleno sales numbers.
We need to decide based on the naked truth in front of our eyes. Either the legal turmoil deciding the "crash test necessity" or our "own safety" (call it as our life). Results are in front of us, choice is ours. It is a democratic country, everybody gets a choice to make.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 02:38   #38
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Vitara Brezza 1.5L petrol, now unveiled

Why do I feel that Maruti is next Nokia in the making?

Maruti To Boycott Global NCAP After Poor Safety Ratings of Baleno, Swift and WagonR

https://indianauto.com/news/maruti-g...wagonr-nid4109
k.sumit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 22:42   #39
BHPian

It’s no secret that, Maruti has made a fortune by selling substandard cars to Indian citizens. The same model when compared to Japanese version is devoid of basic safety features, thanks to us gullible Indians.

One avenue forward for team bhp could be, team bhp vehicle safety campaign, where in essence of vehicle safety permeates to Indian citizens. Slogans like we deserve safe vehicles, which forces the the law to change, thereby forcing manufacturing standards to change, tough ask today but we are a community, and a force to recon with (Jedi power). Maruti always gets by quoting “we have complied with regulatory requirements”. For things to change consumer thought process has to change.

Another avenue team bhp could explore is safe driving camps, if such a Programme can be tied up RTO, for different sections, like beginners, bikes, heavy vehicles, to spread awareness about safety and responsibility towards fellow citizens.

Information is knowledge.(googled information cut paste is often incorrect, experts in respective fields often step in with a rebuttal where google has no answers, it’s hilarious). If RTO can include stuff like safety and global best practices in regulated training syllabus it’s still a step forward. Perhaps to begin with in metros.

Simple things like blind spot training (heavy vehicle is often victim), rear view mirror scan, anticipating movements of vehicle ahead, mandatory indicator lights, right off way, no tailgating specially to bikes. Just basic stuff which improves survivability, and makes driving and riding a pleasure. Isn’t that what we all desire. Imagine a thread like road accidents having no new posts for months. Tough ask now but nothing is impossible for team bhp community.

There is one phrase which always catches my attention, team bhp always uses the word gratitude, to any contributions to the forum. Team bhp is humble and honest. Mods do a commendable job of keeping it that way.

Humble and honest cannot be stopped.

Cheap vehicles are responsible for Indian lives lost.

These are just my ideas no offense intended.
Sparks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 20:54   #40

Default Maruti Suzuki sill not send its cars for Global NCAP crash tests

I have recently seen news somewhere on the internet that Maruti won't be sending their cars to Global NCAP crash tests. The reason they are citing is they will work only within the regulations by the Indian government and they already adhere to the regulations and safety measurements mandated like pedestrian protection and offset side impact norms.

I would like to know fellow Bhpian's thoughts on this.

Moderator's Note - Please SEARCH before creating threads on topics extensively discussed before. Thanks.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th February 2020 at 23:42. Reason: Note posted inline.
Old 21st February 2020, 11:21   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
One avenue forward for team bhp could be, team bhp vehicle safety campaign, where in essence of vehicle safety permeates to Indian citizens. Slogans like we deserve safe vehicles, which forces the the law to change, thereby forcing manufacturing standards to change, tough ask today but we are a community, and a force to recon with (Jedi power). Maruti always gets by quoting “we have complied with regulatory requirements”. For things to change consumer thought process has to change.

Another avenue team bhp could explore is safe driving camps, if such a Programme can be tied up RTO, for different sections, like beginners, bikes, heavy vehicles, to spread awareness about safety and responsibility towards fellow citizens.
Thats something very good. Although it will take a truck load of money & time to be spent in arranging and carrying out these items. TBHP really is a community. So we the members will have to actually contribute actively in the project with finances as well as time to make it a reality. Good thought.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 01:40   #42
BHPian

Maruti S-Presso got zero star for adult occupant protection and two stars for child occupant protection.

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso, a mini SUV, did poorly in a safety test conducted by Global New Car Assessment Programme’s (Global NCAP), getting zero stars.

Hyundai got two stars for Grand i10 Nios and Kia got three stars for Seltos.

Maruti S-Presso got zero star for adult occupant protection and two stars for child occupant protection, according to NCAP.

Maruti rejected the ratings.

“Safety is a critical issue and is therefore closely regulated by governments around the world as they are responsible for the safety of the people in their countries. It cannot be left to the opinion of any self-proclaimed party."

Wow ! So according to Maruti, because their car got zero ratings in safety, Globla NCAP is according to them a "self-proclaimed party"? It is a known fact that Maruti cars are of light built offering little or no safety at all. It does not recognize it is hardly surprising.
shaheenazk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 08:49   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
“Safety is a critical issue and is therefore closely regulated by governments around the world as they are responsible for the safety of the people in their countries. It cannot be left to the opinion of any self-proclaimed party."

Wow ! So according to Maruti, because their car got zero ratings in safety, Globla NCAP is according to them a "self-proclaimed party"? It is a known fact that Maruti cars are of light built offering little or no safety at all. It does not recognize it is hardly surprising.
Are we listening to GNCAP though? Maruti may reject, but do we too have to reject the reality? Only two cars left in Maruti's stable now. Brezza and S-Cross. I think they only do not have heartect platform.
Go for "tanks" guys, TATA and Mahindra. Safety is first priority.
rajivtelang is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 15:55   #44
BHPian

Maruti sounds like that obnoxious parent who refuses to send his kid to school because he failed a test. Rather than making the child study, the parent won't let him appear for any more tests and blames the school. My child is so smart, it's the school that doesn't know how to conduct an exam. My child scored 100% in every test we conducted.

If you don't write the exam how can you ever fail? Smart move Maruti. Brilliant

Last edited by navin : 13th November 2020 at 17:32. Reason: typos
BLACNWYTE is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 20:14   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACNWYTE View Post
Maruti sounds like that obnoxious parent who refuses to send his kid to school because he failed a test

My child scored 100% in every test we conducted.
Nothing personal, but I feel that this analogy is flawed. All Indian companies have to abide by Indian Government rules on safety. This is what Maruti (and all others do), and that's all they are claiming. So Maruti is passing the standard 12th class exam. They are not clearing the more stringent (e.g.) engineering entrance test, but they don't have to. Maruti (and others) seem to be doing the bare minimum as mandated by law, and there is nothing wrong with that from their perspective.

PS: this is in no way to say that I don't want safer cars. I definitely do. I just think that the right way is to make the standard test more stringent (i.e. government regulations).

PPS: Have a nice festival weekend
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed