Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2020, 15:09   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Miscreants assault me & damage my car (EDIT: accused now in police custody)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Leather belt with chunky buckle is a good weapon indeed. Problem is stray dogs come in packs. Chances are that you will be overpowered soon and the stray dogs will be tearing you apart.
Stray dogs do have mob mentality. And most of the mob just accompany the few really aggressive ones and when they face a backlash they flee.

My point is, we all have a weapon at all times with us, in case of an emergency. And a belt can be way more effective in keeping you safe from other weapons being swung at you .
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 16:12   #182
BHPian

@thilak29 Excellent act of restraint from you, that actually resulted in nabbing the culprits. You wouldn't be in a position of advantage had you retaliated. I learnt 3 very important lessons from your episode a.) You kept your calm b.) You had the dashcam c.) And finally you went after those thugs legally and got them. Kudos!

Please do keep updating this thread. Just waiting to hear the two guys are put behind bars.
veyron_head is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 16:37   #183
BHPian

Agree with the recommendation to keep calm and not retaliate. Also a weapon including a stick or rod suggests premeditation and could go against you. A pepper spray or a belt buckle on the other hand is a more defensive item and hence can be easily carried..
charanreddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 18:54   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Update
Felt nice reading this update. For a change, this looks like having a good ending. Usually, these chaps manage to slither out of any such issues.

Just one thought : Ask the cop to check whether these jokers have DL. Many of these idiots drive without DL and if it is so in this case, then you can file a motor accident claim also on these jerks. With the hefty fines these days, one more way to bleed them.

Having said all that, mate, be extra careful. Do not divulge your personal details, phone number, etc. to any of these people. If at all they want to meet, meet in some public location, away from your residence/work place. Avoid going thru this area also for some time.

Be safe.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th March 2020 at 06:53. Reason: Removing excessive spacing
haria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 19:10   #185
Senior - BHPian

@Thilak29. Good to hear that the culprits have been nabbed and you're on the road to recovery.

The incident has taught probably the entire team BHP community a few lessons. Thank you for sharing updates continuously despite your pain and injuries.

I wish India had the concept of "deterrent punishments" like some other countries do. It would have helped drastically reduce such acts.

They say even the worst mental trauma reduces substantially over a period of 6 months so you should be fine much sooner than that.

As everyone else on this forum, I hope the victims get the right punishment for their acts. This is going to take some effort and I do hope you find it worth your while.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and good times ahead.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 19:54   #186
BHPian

Kudos to you Thilak, I had my doubts whether those thugs will ever be caught and get their due in this Indian Judicial system. But your calmness, perseverance and the "mighty" dashcam proved me wrong.

Your actions will give strength and hope to many who if God forbid ever faces such misfortune.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th March 2020 at 06:53. Reason: Minor spacing
jkaushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 21:00   #187
Senior - BHPian

Hi Thilak

I am happy justice has been served in the right manner & matured approach.

However, my advise, please be extremely cautious as they shouldn't hold any grudge against you for this again. Be it them or their immediate family members.

Please keep a watch out or even take a cab for few days until the situation stabilizes and is put to rest eventually with time.

Be safe and be watchful.

Thanks,

RV
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 21:03   #188
BHPian

Thilak, you have set a wonderful example of self restraint and handling a stressful situation. Like others I shall also advise you not to let go the legal proceedings and not to buckle under pressure from cops or the goons' families or even local politicians (Yes, that may become a factor too. Usually, these people get easy political backing in exchange of support of locals in elections). Please exercise caution while passing throigh the same locality.
mayd85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 21:13   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Good suggestion, but how did you buy a Taser legally in India?
Amazon hai nah ! Actually, they are stun guns, I think. Was using the general term. Searching to send you a link, but NA right now. And the Chinese ones do not last long. But give a good jolt, or are simply scary if flashed !

Are they illegal in India ? So is spitting on the road, I believe !

https://www.amazon.in/BLUELEX-Rechar...%2C404&sr=1-12Miscreants assault me & damage my car (EDIT: accused now in police custody)-stun-gun.jpg

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th March 2020 at 06:52. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the EDIT / QUOTE+ functions to address your reply.
SnakemanJohny is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 22:04   #190
BHPian

This is getting so common in India, just 3 weeks back I was assaulted too and the guy was high on drugs. He turned out to be the son of an ex-ACP from Pune and the cops literally did nothing despite me getting badly injured.

Turns out he is a repeat offender but his father keeps getting him out.

This is unfortunately how India is.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th March 2020 at 06:52. Reason: Spacing
yash2424 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 04:34   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash2424 View Post
This is unfortunately how India is.
India is a country of abject apathy combined with enthusiastic voyeurism. The public will drop all their work, be it riding, driving, panhandling, cooking, cleaning etc to come out and watch criminals assault someone, no interference, no will to ask why, just watching.

I've said it for a long time and here we go yet again, these delivery 2 wheeler boys are aggressive, law-breaking and borderline psychopathic. Two wheelers in general take advantage of the fact that they're usually seen as vulnerable and helpless, so helpless are they that they just rashly come to the front of any car they wish to do combat with and stop, lay out the kickstand and do the assault. I've seen many cases happening to others, on the streets, myself.

Times like these the public should step in to prevent an assault, at the very least. Once I was witness to a KTM slamming a TVS 50 from behind because the TVS was going slow and the KTM was too fast..the Duke guys were abusing the TVS 50 guys quite a bit so I stepped in and spoke the facts - they slammed from behind, clearly they were riding like a motocross rally and they were at fault, I told them that and took the wind out of their argument.

Glad to see the 2 cooling their heels off in jail, I'm also glad that, for once, we're not falling for the famous excuse of "poor background" "illiterate" or "personal issues".. the perfect law should certainly be empathetic, but also unforgiving when a clear case of wrongdoing is established, irrespective of social standing, caste, creed or relatives in legal system/government/police etc.

Speedy overtaking?!?! Has anyone ever heard of a slow "over"taking? Will the rider be happy if a red carpet is laid out for his rides, a beacon strapped on his helmet and is given Z Security/VIP mantri level of traffic importance?
dark.knight is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 12:00   #192
BHPian

Dear fellow BHPians, Thanks for the kind words and valuable advise and support. I intend to pursue the case to the best of my ability and a logical conclusion is met within the ambit of legal framework. I will keep this group posted as progress is made.
SA told me that Insurer has approved the work and work will commence on Monday (some parts were unavailable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
I hope your arm swelling has reduced by now.
Swelling has significantly reduced, yet clots and related pain is yet to fade away. I am told it may take weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
this incident is another befitting proof that a DASHCAM HELPS!!!.
Absolutely, I would say drop those jazzy accessories from shopping list and instead shell out money for a good cam (or two).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I think an effort should be made to inform their delivery service companies too, if not done yet.
The 2W involved was hired for a period of 1 month, I have not made any conscious effort to identify their employer and pass the information. However, if they do not turn up for work, employer should get the news.
Going forward, I would be hesitant to place any online order and have it delivered to home, office is much safer place to collect them or from pick up points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
At the station were there no parents of these guys pleading to let them go?
Interestingly, No family member seem to be present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
In the meantime make multiple copies of the video before handing over the memory card to the police as evidence. Also save the digital version of the newsletter if available
Sure Sagar. I will place them in many secure places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
How did the cops move in on them?
Police officer introduced me to his colleague who did extensive ground work, I understand catching helmet wearing guy was easy and quick(ride hailing company must have helped). Catching another person required some more effort. They both happen to be residents of same locality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
You were benevolent enough not to share pictures of the accused (it's the court that pronounces them guilty) or talk about the.episode on TV.
Just to keep the record straight, I refused to place their images myself in public domain however I have pointed to link where it was available. While TV crew called me I have only narrated the incident. There were many posts where fellow members indicated that they either live/frequent this locality. It is important that they remain cognizant of individuals who can turn dangerous or have history. Very kind words from you, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
This incident proves that the cam can be really useful. I have been actually thinking to put a rear cam as well right when I got the front cam. Actually in India you need cams all around .
I echo your thoughts, when I make fresh purchase I will consider buying a dual camera. In fact, Police officer did ask if there is any footage of cabin and that would have further helped the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
May be you should have asked them, at the police station, whether they had seen the dashcam before they attacked.
My curiosity to further conversation ended when they stated they/their vehicle did not get even small scar due to my overtake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
I do not see one angry word in your posts.How did you become like this? Reading a lot of books?
Thanks for the generous praise, kind of you. I am as imperfect as anyone else and I reserve my anger for special instances (when I see my better half is still getting ready to head out and cab has arrived at gate).
Yes, reading has greatly helped beside various experiences that has taught lessons. In retrospect, had this incident taken place a decade ago, my response would have been different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Just one thought : Ask the cop to check whether these jokers have DL. Many of these idiots drive without DL
Someone had texted me on similar line, even pointed not wearing helmet could be a charge to include. But they may appear petty (jurisdiction is with KR Puram traffic PS and not with this station) cases. Also, I assume the 2W renting company followed due diligence before offering the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
However, my advise, please be extremely cautious as they shouldn't hold any grudge against you for this again. Be it them or their immediate family members.

Please keep a watch out or even take a cab for few days until the situation stabilizes and is put to rest eventually with time.

Be safe and be watchful.
RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post
The reason is for your safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
One thing to be careful about is vengeance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Do please exercise extra caution during your journey hereon - I presume you mostly won't be taking that road for quite some time to come now. See if you can resort to cab / car pooling for a few months. That will ease things in your mind too I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Having said all that, mate, be extra careful. Do not divulge your personal details, phone number, etc. to any of these people. If at all they want to meet, meet in some public location, away from your residence/work place. Avoid going thru this area also for some time.
Be safe.
Very valid point and I have given sufficient thought about same. I look at this in two dimensions,
one, yes there is considerable risk of retaliation and I will ensure measures (including some of things suggested by esteemed members) are in place to minimize the impact.
two, if miscreants have even iota of gray cells, they must realize that should something happen to me/my loved one, fingers get pointed to them irrespective of their involvement. My safety is in their interest too and by now I hope they have realized that they messed with someone who is capable of pulling few strings, if needed.
Thilak29 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 12:04   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post

Very valid point and I have given sufficient thought about same. I look at this in two dimensions,
one, yes there is considerable risk of retaliation and I will ensure measures (including some of things suggested by esteemed members) are in place to minimize the impact.
two, if miscreants have even iota of gray cells, they must realize that should something happen to me/my loved one, fingers get pointed to them irrespective of their involvement. My safety is in their interest too and by now I hope they have realized that they messed with someone who is capable of pulling few strings, if needed.
You’re correct. But, please do take precautions to keep yourself & family safe. Miscreants can setup a stage show to provoke an incident. It’s sad we live in a world where anything can be staged.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 12:47   #194
BHPian

Its good that youre doing fine and situation could have gotten much worse.

Unfortunately we live in a system which is flawed and corrupt whether it is private or public sector. This is the reality and we must accept it. A long legal journey awaits you with multiple hearings and its left upto you to choose to invest your time and energy. Looking at the opposing parties, they are vote banks and can call upon influence later to move out of the mess they are in.

There is a high chance of you getting calls from strange people asking you to withdraw the cases. Also you will have to shell out money at various stages and run around from pillar to post. End of the day the money you are ready to put on the table and your influence is going to decide the outcome. Hope you are aware that TV channels have inside links the police stations and they keep hanging around for the next sensational breaking news !

I wish you well and speedy recovery, sometimes its better to move on and live your life. Its frustrating at times, better to make peace with our chaotic conditions, keep a cool head and drive.Accidents are bound to happen, damages can be repaired (insurance is there for that) but emotional damages are deeper. There are idiots everywhere on the roads !

As far as carrying weapons in the car are concerned, i would strongly advise against all that. (its real life and not a hollywood movie) Violence never solves any problems and will only make situation worse. Unless you are highly trained in hand to hand combat and use of weapons, there is a good chance also of the same weapon being snatched from you and you being the target. I would always advise to de escalate the situation.

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 7th March 2020 at 12:52.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 14:02   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Its good that youre doing fine and situation could have gotten much worse.

Unfortunately we live in a system which is flawed and corrupt whether it is private or public sector. This is the reality and we must accept it. A long legal journey awaits you with multiple hearings and its left upto you to choose to invest your time and energy. Looking at the opposing parties, they are vote banks and can call upon influence later to move out of the mess they are in.
You've summed it up very nicely. While we would all like to see the culprits in jail and are even willing to "crowdfund", we must all ultimately allow Thilak29 to do what he deems fit without judging him.
My best wishes to Thilak for a speedy recovery and for setting a great example to the rest of us on handling such situations.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks