Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2020, 19:09   #91
RGK
Senior - BHPian

re: Miscreants assault me & damage my car (EDIT: accused now in police custody)

Very sorry to hear. Very few have the knack of managing this kind of situations and you have done it well. The dashcam recording will help the police to proceed and identify the gang. Wish you a speedy recovery.

OT: Take buttermilk by adding fried mustard in gingelly oil. This is a very old medicine to forget bad memories and maintain calm.

On the contrary, I did a 2200 km journey in KA covering all places including ghat roads with my family and drove even during the night. I had a pleasant experience throughout and not even an unnecessary traffic jam.
RGK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 19:44   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
It is KA51 AB 2878 and is registered on A.S. Justride tours and travels name.
Vehicle class is 2 wheeler for hire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
The criminals should be easy to identify as the two wheeler is from one of the two wheeler rental company. All such two wheeler have GPS and tracking system installed.
I think the number is KA51 AX 2878, which is Electronic City RTO.
Try to get in touch with the RTO to get the details of the rental company, that will help in tracking down the criminals who did this.
Hey Thilak,

I haven't yet watched your dashcam yet (my office internet doesn't allow videos ) and also if this KA51 AX 2878 is correct, then this scooty is registered for "Drivezy" rental company. Immediately contact the Drivezy customer support and get the name under whose name it was booked for that day.

NA
na_agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 19:54   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
I would say escape, and drive straight to the nearest police station, and wait for them to follow you.
Or any other place which is extensively covered by CCTVs like say a gold shop, banks, ATMs, large showrooms etc.
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 20:21   #94
Senior - BHPian

This is my worst nightmare on our roads and hats off to you for staying calm. It's very hard to resist instinct and remain calm. The worst part is everyone around just watches in these situations. Atleast the puncture wala from where they took the wrench should have stopped them before or even after.

A few days back in Pune, I didn't allow this guy in a Brezza to cut in which pissed him off I guess and he was looking to get into a fight. His lane was free, so I have no idea why he got so worked up.

Good to know they have been identified. Hope you get over this trauma soon and never have to face anything like this again.
fiat_tarun is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 20:42   #95
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Glad you could make it out of it like you did. All it takes is a minor lapse of judgement for things to go irreparably wrong.

Hope the cops have collected the memory card from you (and that you have an official acknowledgement of the same). They would probably also need the dash cam at a later stage.
vik99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 21:10   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
In both these instances I commend your almost instinctive response towards protecting kannada pride (although it goes beyond my understanding why you seem to think that you can make assumptions about people from another state or country by their skin color - evident from the mod edit note for the first post quoted but seem to suddenly become sanctimonious when it's against your state)
He's not alone - I remember several 'localites' defending the local pride on the Bangalore threads and several posts giving an 'us' (locals) vs 'them' (non-locals) argument; making very similar assumptions in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
A few days back in Pune, I didn't allow this guy in a Brezza to cut in which pissed him off I guess and he was looking to get into a fight. His lane was free, so I have no idea why he got so worked up.
Unfortunately, this happens in most states on the streets. So I'm not surprised when a few bhpians also become worked-up/vocal via similar sounding arguments on the forum!

I remember observing the local drivers (auto, etc) in Chennai driving more aggressively when I drove around in my MH-number plate car; but never faced such aggressiveness when I drove my TN-number plate car. Happened multiple times so definitely not a coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I am glad that I survived to narrate the tale and warn fellow members and public at large of safety concerns.

PS - I can also place the entire footage from the office gate exit to first flag down instance to prove I drove safely.
I think the responses from others to @deehunk have clarified what is the general opinion on the forum.

Please keep your time and focus on getting a resolution to the problem, and more importantly getting back to a normal daily routine, and forgetting this as a one-time random incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Who are locals? Why do you want to classify a crime by region or language? The migrant population in Bangalore includes all class of people. It would be wise to concentrate on miscreants.The video should include the visuals of victim's car passing by the bar. This video is not conclusive to give clean chit to the victim.
Awesome. Would you also like him to give a detailed set of proofs on whether he was sober, un-edited videos for the entire day, audio recordings and what not! When did we become judges? Chill down - he's got the police and judiciary to do that.

And also I'd suggest to take a chill pill on the local vs non-local (/migrant) dialogues. But I guess that's free advice that ain't gonna get any attention so I'll stop there

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2020 at 13:04. Reason: Minor spacing
ninjatalli is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 21:27   #97
BHPian

Dear God! This is just barbaric and outright madness. But OP, I think it was a calculated attack targetted specifically towards you and not any random thuggery. The amount of rowdiness it takes to attack someone in a car and that too in public just to steal one's phone or money is a bit odd. Think of any potential enemies you might have and stay safe, mate.

And as a side note to all BHPians, keep some sort of self-defence always in a car people. It may be as small as a spray of car fire-extinguisher on the attacker's face to a tazer or a pepper spray. Heck, I have even thought of ordering an industrial grade nailgun to always keep in my car on long and dangerous commutes including rural or notorius areas to use in those extreme situations. Can't be too safe these days on Indian roads. Get well soon my friend.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2020 at 13:05. Reason: Minor spacing
Dr.Mechanic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 21:48   #98
BHPian

Update
I am told Police has nabbed one of them and another individual is absconding. Absconding individual was the violent one. I must place it on record that Police were courteous and swift. Of course, friends and family did some talking at right places.

Let me try to respond to some of individual posts (typing with hurting right hand isn't easy, hence i will keep my responses crisp).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik99 View Post

Hope the cops have collected the memory card from you (and that you have an official acknowledgement of the same). They would probably also need the dash cam at a later stage.
They have not collected yet, when it comes to that will happily handover with necessary backups taken. Now I have an emotional bond with that camera as well since it turned real savior, so parting it for formalities will be a difficult thing as i imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_agrawal View Post
if this KA51 AX 2878 is correct, then this scooty is registered for "Drivezy" rental company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
It is KA51 AB 2878 and is registered on A.S. Justride tours and travels name.
Vehicle class is 2 wheeler for hire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I think the number is KA51 AX 2878, which is Electronic City RTO.
This rental company helped in the process when Police held firm fist. My efforts to reach out to their non voice CS went in vain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
OT: Take buttermilk by adding fried mustard in gingelly oil. This is a very old medicine to forget bad memories and maintain calm.
Head of my Kitchen Dept is duly informed Sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Could you please post it so that it clears the air completely for people who think you might have done something to instigate them.
Thanks for bringing this up. Two things, Firstly I am treating the SD card with utmost care , secondly I am ensuring my time and resources are invested in right priorities.
I assure you that footage will be placed in public domain soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Too much to ask, but would be great if some Bangalore Team-BHPians can help our friend here with any local contacts which will make legal machinery work as it is supposed to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I request everyone with any relevant contacts (police, media, insurance, lawyer) to assist Thilak29.
I am humbled that you are soliciting help on my behalf. Very kind of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
If its not personal, did you have any altercation with the maid servant, chauffeur, janitor or security guard in the recent past?
None whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
that area is one heck of a spot. Over aggressive youngsters who are ready to get into a fight even if one looks at them for more than few seconds.
Can't agree more. Is it not true that most of Bangalore is witnessing these elements ?Also, It is not my usual route, Metro work pushed me to pick this alternate route to Tin factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Didn't they appear like delivery boys with certain uniform?
No, but one was wearing KTM branded jacket (counterfeit?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
why did you sit in the car & allow him to assault you? Why didn't you attempt to drive away?
I did not want to engage when they provoked. Driving away is not really an option, it is just hop from one jam to another in this city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnutfrombanga View Post
I stay close to Hoodi, do you need any contacts of lawyer etc?
Anything else I can do to help?
Thank you gentleman! I am really touched.

Last edited by Thilak29 : 4th March 2020 at 21:50.
Thilak29 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 22:37   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Update
I am told Police has nabbed one of them and another individual is absconding. Absconding individual was the violent one.

I did not want to engage when they provoked. Driving away is not really an option, it is just hop from one jam to another in this city.
Glad to know you are doing ok & one of the perpetrator has been nabbed! Am sure they will nab his friend too.

I see a lot of posts saying that onlookers didn't respond?

They did not respond fearing their skulls would be cracked open!

It's one thing if there is a verbal altercation but this was extremely violent.

Don't want to sound condescending but is staying put really an option? A sitting duck only makes it easy for them!

What if your family was with you & what would you have done if they came out with a knife instead of the spanner?

(This is not directed at you, I want to know what to do too as I like to travel off beat places)

High time we(soft targets) learnt some self defense & kept at least pepper spray handy.

Wish you safe miles ahead!

P.S Were you in a KL car? then we may conclude that outsiders are more easily being targeted due to lack of local support.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2020 at 13:08. Reason: Minor spacing
raihan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 22:41   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I were you, I'd just let them get into the lane. Unlike what happened to OP, you weren't attacked. If anyone wants to do a stupid maneuver, just back off and let the idiot go. India can be lawless- some people can get violent and harm you and/or damage your car.

Always remember this story:
Quote:
One day, I hopped into a taxi and took off for the airport. We were driving in the right lane when suddenly, a black car, jumped out of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed the brakes, skidded, and missed the other car by just inches! The driver of the other car whipped his head around and started yelling at us. My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. I mean, he was really friendly. So I asked, "Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!" This is when my taxi driver taught me what I now call, 'The Law of the Garbage Truck'

He explained, "Many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it and sometimes they'll dump it on you. NEVER take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on with the routine life." Don't take their garbage and spread it to other people at work, at home or on the streets.

The bottom line is that successful people do not let garbage trucks take over their day. Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so...... 'Love the people who treat you right. Pray for the ones who don't.'

* As very rightly said quote:- Life is 10% what you make and 90% how you take!
Quote:
Update
I am told Police has nabbed one of them and another individual is absconding. Absconding individual was the violent one.
Do you have any idea on what the motive is? Is it the guy who's the pillion during the first attack?
landcruiser123 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 22:55   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasanka_Sanga View Post

Note : They might also throw eggs on your windscreen and at that situation never ever use wipers to clean the stains at any cost, you will end up spreading yolk all through the windscreen and your visibility pragmatically becomes zero and thereby you will have no option but to stop (my personal experience on NH163). Keep driving until you see good number of people/toll gate/police station.

Last but not the least, stay safe. Recover soon.
Sorry to digress but this is incorrect. I have been at the receiving end of such a misguided tactic. There are enough and more YouTube videos as well on this topic(sample link attached below). Some of the more graphic ones demonstrate by both day as well as night too. BOTTOM LINE - Use your wipers with water, whether by day or night, no loss of visibility due to the yolk.

handsofsteel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 22:55   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
High time we(soft targets) learnt some self defense & kept at least pepper spray handy.
When even a UFC hall of famer can get knocked out by a lucky punch by a bum in a streetfight (https://www.tmz.com/2019/08/28/bj-pe...-hawaii-video/), we can learn self defense but we should just treat it as a lifesaving skill at best.

And as someone else pointed out, pepper spray can go with the wind and end up debilitating us unintentionally. Moreover, any weapon that we wield can be used against us.

Why the hell am I so pessimistic here? Don't mind me...I didn't sign up for this, whatever it is. Why can't we be allowed to just drive?
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 23:45   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Just curious, and playing the devil's advocate here. You knew he wanted to merge into your lane. You are blocking someone on purpose. Isn't that looking for confrontation? You could have let him go on, merged left and sped off. Just saying, we all know some people have short fuse, and playing games like these on public roads are dangerous for everyone involved.

I am not saying the Brezza guy was not a nut case, (in being persistent about merging there), but indulging nutcases or provoking them is also not safe. People pick a spot and attempt a merge to maintain the proper lanes. Perhaps for an upcoming right turn, or u turn, or whatever. I just do not think blocking anyone on purpose is justified as good driving manners.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 4th March 2020 at 23:51.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 00:02   #104
BHPian

This is incredibly scary.

I've seen multiple minor road rage scenarios driving in Bangalore, the count being way higher than my hometown Kolkata. However, something so unprovoked, so random and so violent honestly scares me.

I do not know what I would have done if faced with such a situation. Hitting them and driving on in self defense seems to be a common suggestion, but when actually faced with the scenario, I'm not sure how many of us would do it.
ts1506 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 00:53   #105
BHPian

I feel really sorry for what happened to you, it must be really scary and painful. I had a similar situation recently but not a violent one, when i overtook a bike.

There were three people on the bike in front of me, i honked them to give me some side, they gave me some and as i was about to overtake, the bike moved in front of me suddenly, my mirror brushed the last person sitting on the bike lightly, we got this close.

I accelerated to their side and said "can't you hear the horn?" this got them enraged and they started cursing, i had no choice but to ride on as i was alone and they were three, moreover my bike was brand new at that time.

I ignored them and kept on riding and they kept on riding behind me and flying curses at me. My plan was to reach the police station which was only a kilometer away and handle the situation there, but somehow they stopped following me.

After this situation, i just ignore everyone on the road and say nothing, moreover i carry a pepper spray with me just in case if anyone gets violent, because i'm sure Indian population will only make a video of the scene and do nothing.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks