Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2020, 23:27   #151
BHPian

Re: Miscreants assault me & damage my car (EDIT: accused now in police custody)

Great news Thilak!

How did the cops move in on them? didn't they try to leave the city after becoming famous?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2020 at 13:30. Reason: Minor spacing
raihan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 00:12   #152
BHPian

So far, BRAVO TILAK RAJ, for the way you handled the situation, and for your most effective weapon -- the dashcam ! Read through the whole thread, eagerly waiting updates on the progress of the case till judgement is delivered.

I can only imagine the trauma of being attacked in public like that, and marvel at the way you still drove to your destination. Somebody else in that situation might have knocked over a few two-wheelers or scraped against a car etc. out of nerves ! Running over their scooter to escape would not be a solution, as advised by some, in a low car. Risk of getting entangled, doing more damage to your own vehicle, would be high. Moreover, how far can one run on a crowded narrow road ?

The perpetrators look the typical deprived youth from underprivileged families (with issues) who use violence on the streets or at home to release their pent-up energies and frustration. These are the types to resort to arson, destruction of private or public property, or even rioting, at any excuse, and even get away with it, because of the current socio-political environment in our country. Also because they generally do it in a crowd and are hard to identify and isolate, and are most often backed by leaders or their goons.

As somebody else rightly said, hard labour would have channelized their energies right ! Because of mass support, from media and society, and solid proof, they have been nabbed. Crime-wise, theirs is not very serious, and once excitement dies down, the case may lose shine. Do make sure they are not let off lightly, even if you tend to forgive and forget, for the sake of others who may be the next victims.

As for self defence, a pepper spray, and a TASER (electric shock apparatus) are better than an iron rod. The last can be used against you if you lose hold, and the effects can be serious either way. On the other hand, using a pepper spray at arm's length (and if the breeze is not blowing towards you) is a very effective tool to get away from one, or several attackers. And there is no risk of explosion if you keep it under the seat, away from the hot sun.

I keep both the spray and the Taser in every car, within easy reach, and even a spray can hidden behind the main gate at home, just to be safe !

Loved the 'Rule of the Garbage Truck' post -- useful philosophy ! A professional driver who probably faces road rages night & day needs to be so cool in composure .

Best of luck with the case, and repairs to the car.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2020 at 13:31. Reason: Minor spacing
SnakemanJohny is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 00:25   #153
BHPian

Good to know that the culprits were caught. It is upto the judge to decide the punishment. Police cannot do that.

One thing to be careful about is vengeance. People who are so violent without provocation can be more violent if their ego is hurt in any way. They may get bail and do mischief, be very careful about that. Request the police to not give your personal details to them in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
I keep both the spray and the Taser in every car, within easy reach, and even a spray can hidden behind the main gate at home, just to be safe !
Good suggestion, but how did you buy a Taser legally in India?
Nissan1180 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 01:12   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Update

I visited KR Puram station along with my cousin who also happens to be a practising lawyer. I was asked to identify, which i diligently did. I asked them, the purpose of attack and the violent chap stepped forward and said I overtook their vehicle in a speedy manner. Then I asked him, If I have hurt them while overtaking they answered 'No', then I questioned, if their vehicle got any damage while overtook them, again the answer was 'No'.
I turned to Police officer standing next to me and reiterated that they can review my driving from the point of exit from office. Police officer said even if there was an incident, they have no rights to take law into hands and serve justice.
In all this, what I appreciate most is the manner in which you have handled this whole situation. You kept your cool, managed to get the FIR filed in spite of all the pain and trauma and have had the chance to even talk to the heroes from your video. You have not talked ill about anyone and made no comment alluding to language, region, state etc. This inspite of that one person (wanted to quote his post but meh!) who manages to bring in some regional chauvinism in these sort of discussions.

Appreciate your level-headedness. Please follow it through to completion as suggested and good luck on your recovery.
naveenroy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 05:01   #155
BHPian

Thank you for updating this thread with your experience in the police station.

As other members have mentioned, those thugs must not be let off due to your benevolence.

It maybe because someone in the past was sympathetic to these thugs and let them off that they got emboldened enough to attack others and you were an unfortunate victim.

After reading your experience, I have given up my inhibitions regarding Dash Cams and have ordered one a few minutes ago - 70mai Smart Dash Cam Pro.

I am sure many more fence-sitters like me are going to hasten their purchase of the same.

Do keep this thread updated. I admire your calm & collected composure because anyone else would have gone after them - hammer and tongs.

I hope your arm swelling has reduced by now.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2020 at 13:32. Reason: Minor spacing
Ithaca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 05:15   #156
Team-BHP Support

Thilak29,

While I haven’t replied to your post early on, everyone who read this thread was disgusted with what happened to you. What everyone appreciates (and I speak for everyone who discussed this topic) is the way you handled this situation. I do take this as a big lesson for myself. You’ve set a great example for many of us in dealing with road rage. Thank you for that!

When the news of the arrest broke out, there was an internal sense of rejoice we all felt and hope this continues on the path of justice. Like many have said, it may take time, will be frustrating and sometimes nerve wrecking too. But, please do not give up on it by letting emotions getting in your way of decision making. Which I am sure you won’t but still reiterating.

Lastly, the physical scars will heal sooner than the mental ones. Stay strong and let time be the healer for those.

Wish you a speedy recovery and hope that you’ll swing back to your busy routine as soon as possible.

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th March 2020 at 07:39.
moralfibre is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 07:42   #157
Senior - BHPian

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Thilak29. You have shown patience, maturity and resolve in handling this shameful and painful experience throughout the episode. It serves as a great example to other readers here.

You were benevolent enough not to share pictures of the accused (it's the court that pronounces them guilty) or talk about the.episode on TV.

Cops will always try to dumb down episodes and go into "poor family" etc, because it's an additional headache for them to pursue FIRs till the court judgement. While the two might be from lesser backgrounds, it's not an excuse for their morbid behaviour.

Our justice system and jails are not reform-friendly. I do hope however, that the two learn a lesson and reform.

Wishing you well, and may your tribe increase.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 09:13   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

The Indian judicial system relies heavily on the Principle of Reformative justice. Whenever a heinous crime occurs, the lay population tends to bay for the blood of the guilty, but the law has its own wisdom for punishing as well as reforming the guilty.

I remember the late eminent lawyer Ram Jethmalani swatting away hawkish journalists and politicians in a panel discussion with the Principle of Reformative justice in a sensational and grisly murder/rape case a decade ago; and he ultimately succeeded in lessening the jail term of the accused as well...

In a vague sense, what I'm saying is, one could expect the 2 in this case to walk free perhaps 1 year into completion of their jail term. But their future employability will have been marred by the time they're "free". I expect that even a Swiggy or a Zomato may not employ them...can you even hold a driving license with a criminal record in India, for that matter?
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 09:32   #159
Senior - BHPian

Thank god that you're safe. Now hire the best possible legal support.

Best use of dash cams. Must have in all cars.

For all others, install good quality dashcam and if possible a set with rear and front cam and run over such scum. Then hire the best legal help possible.

navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 10:12   #160
BHPian

Just overtaking made them furious.

If they have domestic issues as they mentioned and they are so arrogant, either they must be high on drugs or drinks. A little common sense could have made them understood how big a mistake it was, to attack a person physically.

Hope you recover soon and come out of the trauma.

Quote:
Update

I visited KR Puram station along with my cousin who also happens to be a practising lawyer. I was asked to identify, which i diligently did. I asked them, the purpose of attack and the violent chap stepped forward and said I overtook their vehicle in a speedy manner. Then I asked him, If I have hurt them while overtaking they answered 'No', then I questioned, if their vehicle got any damage while overtook them, again the answer was 'No'.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th March 2020 at 11:05. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag and trimmed quote.
sunilsreenivasg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 10:24   #161
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Broken hand is 'Attempt to Kill' - Section 307

Please let us know if we can crowd fund your (very able) public prosecutor and teach all road-rage heroes a lesson!

Chapter.01 : '......Upto 10 years'
In for this one, take this particular case to that extent that this sets an example.

@Thilak: Use money to work for you and use that work to take things forward - of course the legal way! Don't settle, very soon you will fell under the pressure of settling the things.

Last edited by VKumar : 6th March 2020 at 10:33.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 10:58   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Update

Police has informed me that both accused are under their custody. I’ve been asked to visit station today.
Hope they will be prosecuted and not let off with a "warning". Pity there is no lawyers organization to help citizens pro bono.

Update: Just saw the "crowdfunding" post by svsantosh - count me in!

mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 11:01   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Update
Thanks for constant update and glad they have been nabbed. You handled the situation really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You handled it extremely well and it ended well too.

Your biggest weapon apart from presence of mind was the Dashcam and this incident is another befitting proof that a DASHCAM HELPS!!!.
Oh yes. This incident proves that the cam can be really useful. I have been actually thinking to put a rear cam as well right when I got the front cam. Actually in India you need cams all around .
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 11:03   #164
BHPian

Thilak,

Happy that you are not seriously injured and i really appreciate your patience and thanks to dashcam. But i differ on pressing charges.

The reason is for your safety. Punishing the miscreants is needed. But with the mindset they are in, i am pretty sure revenge may be in their mind. If not by themselves, they may do it via their friends. You may win this battle, but then need to be prepared for the war.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2020 at 13:33. Reason: Minor spacing
vennarbank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 11:12   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Pictures available in public domain : https://publictv.in/bengaluru-car-bi...ice-arrest/amp
From the mugshot image it looks like the helmet wearing chap doesn't have any remorse. While the bike driver who seemed to be the aggressor is on the verge of breakdown. While both do not deserve mercy for what they did, at least a sympathetic thought towards the bike driver can fly in our mind but the cold look of the other gentleman, of one who is least bothered, doesn't evoke any such feeling.

Glad that you are making swift recovery. This incident will pass on like everything else in life and after a while you'll not even consciously remember it, to have any influence on you.

For other predators who are on the prowl for an innocent victim, a look at a dashcam would be suggested. No one in their right mind would even think of doing any mischief if they know they are being recorded. May be you should have asked them, at the police station, whether they had seen the dashcam before they attacked.

Last edited by strawhat : 6th March 2020 at 11:16.
strawhat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed