Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2020, 11:28   #166
BHPian

Re: Miscreants assault me & damage my car (EDIT: accused now in police custody)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Good suggestion, but how did you buy a Taser legally in India?
Did a quick research about the Taser, So far the information I got is Tasers are illegal in India for general public. where as stun guns can be used for self defense. May be any of our members in legal profession can throw more light on this.

After going through this thread, I decided to keep one or two self defense items in the car. one of the items would potentially be the stun gun, Evaluating the options for second.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2020 at 13:35. Reason: Minor spacing
sram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 11:38   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Who are locals? Why do you want to classify a crime by region or language? The migrant population in Bangalore includes all class of people. It would be wise to concentrate on miscreants.The video should include the visuals of victim's car passing by the bar. This video is not conclusive to give clean chit to the victim.
What clean chit? Did you even watch what they did to him and his car?

Let us assume for argument sake the OP was indeed involved in an incident and he overtook them closely or aggressively. Does that justify damaging his car and hurting him with a potentially lethal weapon? Jeez

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2020 at 13:35. Reason: Minor spacing
rageshgr is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 11:48   #168
Senior - BHPian

I thought they were perhaps other reasons too, but all it took was just an overtake to trigger such an extreme reaction ? I doubt even jail time will drive some sense into their thick skulls. You sir are an example in remaining calm and composed while handling the provocation and later on at the station when he blurted out that all it took was a overtake!

If its possible, do ask the gents if they had any idea they were being recorded. They seem to have thought they'll get away with it (rental scooter, no mobile being used to record them) but to their horror they were caught in the act and subsequently media made them famous.

While they may get convicted and serve some jail time, it is a long drawn process and the frequent visits to courts (they may appeal if convicted), police station etc can take quite a toll on you and your near ones. Do decide on the best course of action in future after considering all relevant factors.

Wish you a speedy recovery!

Last edited by shashank.nk : 6th March 2020 at 11:50. Reason: Spellings
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 12:16   #169

Thilak feel sorry for your ordeal at the same time you indeed have set an example to the many of us. Things could’ve gotten way ugly had you reacted by instinct, but you chose to remain calm and your patience indeed has paid. Kudos to the cops, media and friends here at TeamBhp and pray justice prevails. The court, police station errands will be another set of patience testers, positive you’ll brave that through with all our support.

Kudos once again for your resilience

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2020 at 13:43. Reason: Minor spacing
KK Sitaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 12:27   #170
BHPian

Caught up with this whole thread and I must say the OP acted with great restraint, and kudos for that. And its great to know that the offenders are in custody.

Bad upbringing + domestic issues + general resentment towards better-off folks + possible use of substances is a powder keg waiting to explode. Unfortunately our roads have too many of them!!

Hope these two get the punishment they deserve. And hope the media coverage of their capture and punishment deters at least a fraction of such lost souls on the streets.

And for all of us - we can only just hope that we don't run into such situations!
Bigzero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 12:41   #171
BHPian

Congrats on getting those responsible behind the bars Thilak! You chose to be non-violent under threat and pursued till they were arrested, that's commendable!
pradeepkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 12:51   #172
BHPian

Really sorry to hear this entire incident. I'm terrified watching the footage itself. Hats off to you that you managed to keep your calm and composure in such a traumatic situation. I'm glad that the culprits are caught and brought under justice. Just don't let them escape by any means.

A few months ago I also came across one such situation and similar kind of goons attacked my car while I was driving alone. Although it was not at the magnitute of this incident. I have been dilly dallying on installing dashcams in my cars but seems like it's high time. Your incident is an eye opener for many of us. There are a bunch of people all over the country who try to incite violence without any provocation like in this case. Do let us know any further progress in this case.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th March 2020 at 13:44. Reason: Minor spacing
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 13:00   #173
BHPian

Thilak, I should appreciate the calm demeanor and balance with which you approached this incident. I do not see one angry word in your posts. Take me a class on this attitude. How did you become like this? Reading a lot of books? By birth? You did, not only taught a lesson to those thugs (or borderline) but 'us' as well on many things. How to be calm, not over reacting, not panicking even when when you were in severe pain physically and emotionally, still come out successful. Every mistake I see on road, I get annoyed. A lesson to be learned by us all motor heads. Double thumbs up. That's all.

For every one who drives a car or bike, please find a way to install a car DVR, now. It will help you in many ways.
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 13:04   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

@Thilak29, really admired your response & composure right from the start of the ordeal till now. Kudos simply for that. Have been reading this thread from day 1, but simply couldn't think of any useful advise or a reaction for what happened.

While some may be surprised that this is the state of the society we live in, it infact is so almost everywhere around us. Depends on what we see, what we notice, what we miss & most importantly - what we prefer to ignore.

We are all glad that you came with a fully recoverable bruise and nothing more than that physically. The glasses on your beloved car will get replaced & she'll be all fine too.

These folks generally have a lot of free time, either no responsibilities or no sense of responsibilities that they should be having. You on the other hand would always have responsibilities, commitments & dependents. Thats why the restraint on your side means a lot in the long run for such paltry road rage events.

Do please exercise extra caution during your journey hereon - I presume you mostly won't be taking that road for quite some time to come now. See if you can resort to cab / car pooling for a few months. That will ease things in your mind too I think.

Good luck mate. And bravo!

Last edited by Reinhard : 6th March 2020 at 13:06.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 13:27   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Update
Good to know that the guys are identified and finally brought under the law. Wish you a speedy recovery from all the bruises and pain you had to suffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29
Couple of TV Cameramen were present while I visited, I made it clear that I have no intentions to come on camera.

This is good, no point in being a news material for the media. And secondly, less publicity the better; for these guys bullying and related cases maybe a way of life, and they (or their allies) can get even more angered with the media gung-ho.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 13:33   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sram View Post
Did a quick research about the Taser, So far the information I got is Tasers are illegal in India for general public.....
I always keep a can of 'Volini 'Spray for the occasional elbow pain, courtesy IT industrys "Repetitive strain injury".

Ps -My works involves late night highway runs, across south states drives all night, and i never know when 'the' pain may show up, so its a small insurance policy I carry around. Even keep one in pocket when the need to step out for a urgent nature call along the highway during day times also.

Miscreants assault me & damage my car (EDIT: accused now in police custody)-volini.jpg

Last edited by svsantosh : 6th March 2020 at 13:35.
svsantosh is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 14:08   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

Ps -My works involves late night highway runs, across south states drives all night, and i never know when 'the' pain may show up, so its a small insurance policy I carry around. Even keep one in pocket when the need to step out for a urgent nature call along the highway during day times also.
I am an advocate of non violence, but yes, when you have to defend yourselves, you have to.

My experience says you don't even need a small volini spray. All you need is to unbuckle your leather belt and use it as aggressively as you want to. Remember, even miscreants with weapons would back off since your range of attack will definitely be 4+ ft.

Don't ask me how I know that this belt trick works, Most aggressive dudes on the roads are cowards and once you let them know that you won't back down, they usually run away like a dog with its tail between its legs.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 14:36   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Update

I visited KR Puram station along with my cousin who also happens to be a practising lawyer. I was asked to identify, which i diligently did. I asked them, the purpose of attack and the violent chap stepped forward and said I overtook their vehicle in a speedy manner. Then I asked him, If I have hurt them while overtaking they answered 'No', then I questioned, if their vehicle got any damage while overtook them, again the answer was 'No'.
Just overtaking made them furious.

If they have domestic issues as they mentioned and they are so arrogant, either they must be high on drugs or drinks. A little common sense could have made them understood how big a mistake it was, to attack a person physically.

Hope you recover soon and come out of the trauma.

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th March 2020 at 14:42. Reason: Quote tags fixed
sunilsreenivasg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 14:38   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I am an advocate of non violence, but yes, when you have to defend yourselves, you have to.

My experience says you don't even need a small volini spray. All you need is to unbuckle your leather belt and use it as aggressively as you want to. Remember, even miscreants with weapons would back off since your range of attack will definitely be 4+ ft.

Don't ask me how I know that this belt trick works, Most aggressive dudes on the roads are cowards and once you let them know that you won't back down, they usually run away like a dog with its tail between its legs.
Wouldn’t be prudent if the miscreants are in an inebriated state.
KK Sitaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 14:51   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Leather belt with chunky buckle is a good weapon indeed. Problem is stray dogs come in packs. Chances are that you will be overpowered soon and the stray dogs will be tearing you apart.
PrideRed is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks