Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2020, 19:08   #196
BHPian

Re: Miscreants assault me & damage my car (EDIT: accused now in police custody)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Pictures available in public domain : https://publictv.in/bengaluru-car-bi...ice-arrest/amp

Ah! Look at those maniacs! What a lovely use case of Dashcam and how well the OP maintained composure and dealt it professionally till the end. It did feel good to know that they will be punished (hopefully).
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 21:45   #197
BHPian

I was reading the whole thread since the beginning, asked myself what would I have done , if I had faced something similar. Kudos to Thilak for handling the situation so calmly. Very very happy that the culprits got caught and should be put behind bars. Dash cam is a life savior
sam_machine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 00:53   #198
BHPian

I went through the entire thread, and it really gives me creeps!
This might be a bit OT but I find this more relevant in this thread.

- When one registers an FIR, is it really essential to provide complete residential address and phone number?

- How safe are the addresses and contact numbers shared to the police in the statement? Wouldn't the opposite party get access to this and try to harm again?

- Do the opposite party get a copy of the complaint sheet?
scorpion_blore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 06:28   #199
Senior - BHPian

I am so sorry to read the ordeal Thilak, and also glad to note the culprits are caught. Appreciate the calm and clear way you had taken. Our law and justice systems take a toll on our patience, I am sure you'll sail through.

From my own personal experiences, I can see that temper is on the rise on Bangalore streets. A few years ago, I was crawling through the crowd jay walking near Kalamandir, Marthahalli. At this place people cross the road and buses stop at will. I was slowly inching ahead and I saw a guy jumping the median, I honked to alert him on my movements. Next what I see is he hitting at my bonnet with his hand, then trying to break my windscreen with punches, and finally trying to break my driver side window pane. Thankfully his fist was not strong enough to cause damage other than a bent bonnet. Had he taken a stone, it could have been a different scenario. It was my Civic, and I was quite happy that the glasses stayed put. I never uttered a word nor resisted. Well what can I really do?

Two months back, near Chroma, Marthahalli, I was taking a turn to the service road. A biker wanted to squeeze through my left. Since I already had begun the turn, there was no space for him. Next what I see is he getting down from his bike and hitting at my left ORVM. The mirror lens broke, thankfully the unit stayed put. He did not like it, so he comes to the driver side mirror and breaks it too. This time too I stayed put. My damages were just 500Rs for the mirror lens, but was shocked beyond comprehension.

On both occasions the crowd were either passing by or shooting videos, Your pain is somebody's amusement !!
laluks is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 16:05   #200
Senior - BHPian

Request OP to update the status as to what happened after you got the information from the police station that the rogues are caught.

Did you visit the station? Are they produced to court? Kindly update
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 16:36   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Request OP to update the status as to what happened after you got the information from the police station that the rogues are caught.

Did you visit the station? Are they produced to court? Kindly update

Please refer post 139
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 19:01   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Just caught up with this thread. This is certainly a scary situation. The fact is that our roads are crazy, and we all get frustrated with the traffic, and provoked by small or large infractions. Almost everyone faces situations where they are at either end of verbal abuse. But to see a recording of that turning into physical violence using tools procured from a nearby shop is really scary. I am glad to note that the culprits have been caught, and I do hope that they are not released on bail while awaiting trial (I suspect a conviction is probably years away).

And I must say @Thilak29, you handled the situation admirably, and your subsequent posts too show what a fantastically level headed person you are. Get well soon.
Hayek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 14:02   #203
BHPian

I have been following this thread since the beginning but have refrained from posting. Reason being, i am a pessimist and i don't want to induce negative energy here. Anyways, here goes my suggestion:

Since those culprits have seen you, they know your route, they have seen your car, they are not feeling sorry for they did, they may have access to your personal information through the complaint (i am already feeling spooked): In addition to using a different route, please park your car for a couple of months and use an alternate vehicle if possible. Also, do not let any of your family member drive your car for the next few months.
tarik.arora is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 15:26   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post

Since those culprits have seen you, they know your route, they have seen your car, they are not feeling sorry for they did, they may have access to your personal information through the complaint (i am already feeling spooked): In addition to using a different route, please park your car for a couple of months and use an alternate vehicle if possible. Also, do not let any of your family member drive your car for the next few months.
I understand the need to take caution here, although I would disagree to make a compromise on my own lifestyle for such idiots. I would assume that it's safe to drive and those guy's wont dare to do anything more stupid then they already did.
efgritesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 18:03   #205
BHPian

Thilak29, take a bow! What an exemplary display of calmness and sobriety amidst all the pressure to give in to one's own boiling blood to retaliate. I really loved the way you have gone all the way to ensure that the long hand of law caught with these thugs with so called "disturbed domestic issues".

At times, I feel the surge to retaliate and give it back to morons on the road. It so happened couple of days, wherein I was riding my CL350 to work and was riding on the road behind NIMHANS to merge on the Hosur road and there is one gentleman who is riding his Access 125 and have stopped in the middle of the road and taking some pictures of the vehicles parked on the road. Since, he had blocked my way because of his photography session, I asked him in Hindi knowing that he will understand Hindi, to move away. He gave me a stern look and asked, what is my name and I told my name to him and he asked my profession and I told him my profession. I also gave a close look to his vehicle registration number and did not counter question about his name and profession.

Thilak bhai your post was the saviour, wherein I could control my aggression and let him have his nonsense attitude fly high!

My start of the day has to be pleasant and not to be spoiled by these jerks!
MDED is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 14:15   #206
BHPian

Update :
My stallion is back into stable.
Insurance covered 88% of damage cost and rest was paid out of pocket. Overall repair and claim experience was smooth.
Post delivery from ASC, took car for a short drive while keeping AC on full blow, few glass pieces popped out. ASC had done thorough suction cleaning but they mentioned two probable causes - 1) Car was driven to ASC and not brought on flat bed. 2) These might be few leftover particles stuck to AC passage which suction missed to capture. Car was cleaned again and I did not see any fresh instance but I am closely watching out. Thanks to Mr Philip who thoughtfully made a suggestion to clean up AC vents.
I drove close to 400 km today and felt good. AXIS bank failed to provide Fastag replacement and their customer care was not of much use. I initiated cancellation/refund and placed order for PayTM tag. During my drive today, used cash lanes all along (I have been using Fastag for 4 years and it felt bit odd to stand in queue to make cash payments and collect receipts).

My hand is fully functional but chest pain occasionally pops up but Doctors did suggest that it may take couple of weeks to see full relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Thanks for your genuine concern Tarik, much appreciated.
I will be cautious and protect self and loved ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgritesh View Post
I understand the need to take caution here, although I would disagree to make a compromise on my own lifestyle for such idiots. I would assume that it's safe to drive and those guy's wont dare to do anything more stupid then they already did.
I intend to come out as a stronger person out of the whole episode. I will not turn my life upside down but adapt to circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
Thilak29, take a bow!
Your post made my day!
I am very glad my experience helped you manage your interaction better.
Thilak29 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 15:06   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Update :
My stallion is back into stable.
Insurance covered 88% of damage cost and rest was paid out of pocket. Overall repair and claim experience was smooth.
Post delivery from ASC, took car for a short drive while keeping AC on full blow, few glass pieces popped out. ASC had done thorough suction cleaning but they mentioned two probable causes - 1) Car was driven to ASC and not brought on flat bed. 2) These might be few leftover particles stuck to AC passage which suction missed to capture. Car was cleaned again and I did not see any fresh instance but I am closely watching out. Thanks to Mr Philip who thoughtfully made a suggestion to clean up AC vents.
Happy to know that your car is back home. By the way I am Mr. Philip who you are referring to, I applied for a membership as soon as possible after sending that message to you via the contact page. Now on to the matter,
1. Please change the cabin filter ( A/C filter ) when you are free. Do this carefully as any glass particles on top of filter can fall into blower motor fan if not careful.
2. Are you hearing any rubbing noise from blower motor, if so please take it off and clean it. This can be done at any A/C workshop or FASS. ( Can be done DIY too as these are usually held by 3 screws and you also need to disconnect the wiring )
3. Make sure that all the glasses are sealing properly and there are no rattles or leaks.
4. Keep some records of the incident along with car service documents ( assuming you keep them ), this might come in handy when you eventually need to sell your car and different dates on your new glass might cause some people to think your car has been in an accident.
5. Do a proper interior cleaning.

If I may ask, which part of the bill did insurance not cover is it portion of cost of adhesive or something as I thought glass did not have any depreciation ( Please correct me If I am wrong)

Thank you and regards

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st March 2020 at 12:50. Reason: Typo
The Mechanic is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 16:03   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mechanic View Post
1. Please change the cabin filter ( A/C filter ) when you are free. Do this carefully as any glass particles on top of filter can fall into blower motor fan if not careful.
+1 to this suggestion. Even if all the visible glass fragments are removed, fine glass dust might still remain, and can cause respiratory problems.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 16:08   #209
BHPian

By the way, any further update on miscreants?
Are they still in custody, or out on bail?
Case posted for court hearing? Anything else ?
rjainv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 10:29   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mechanic View Post
Happy to know that your car is back home. By the way I am Mr. Philip who you are referring to, I applied for a membership as soon as possible after sending that message to you via the contact page. Now on to the matter,
2. Are you hearing any rubbing noise from blower motor, if so please take it off and clean it. This can be done at any A/C workshop or FASS. ( Can be done DIY too as these are usually held by 3 screws and you also need to disconnect the wiring )
3. Make sure that all the glasses are sealing properly and there are no rattles or leaks.
4. Keep some records of the incident along with car service documents ( assuming you keep them ), this might come in handy when you eventually need to sell your car and different dates on your new glass might cause some people to think your car has been in an accident.
5. Do a proper interior cleaning.

If I may ask, which part of the bill did insurance not cover is it portion of cost of adhesive or something as I thought glass did not have any depreciation ( Please correct me If I am wrong)

Thank you and regards
First let me thank you wholeheartedly and very pleased to learn that you are part of this forum. Look forward to your contributions.

1) AC filter change was NOT done, will get this done over this weekend.
2) No, but I will keep a close watch.
3) No rattles seen, fit and finish seem good. Leak test to be done while pressure wash car (hopefully coming Sunday). I am also watching out for any fog building which was not present/seen earlier.
4) I have kept his record in files, though I am not a keeper of service bills as they are available at ASCs across country on demand.
5) I got 3M interior cleaning (including germ cleaning) done at ASC and cabin feels very clean. I intend to vacuum once again.

Insurance did not cover cleaning, beading/rubber, glue and such consumable charges. Glass was fully covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
+1 to this suggestion. Even if all the visible glass fragments are removed, fine glass dust might still remain, and can cause respiratory problems.
Yes sir, I will replace cabin air filter. I tried to look for it this morning but seems not easily accessible like seen in Brio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
By the way, any further update on miscreants?
Are they still in custody, or out on bail?
Case posted for court hearing? Anything else ?
I am aware that they are sent to Judicial Custody but no further updates on bail. COVID-19 and other tasks at office has made this March busier.

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st March 2020 at 12:50. Reason: Typo in quoted post.
Thilak29 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed