Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2020, 11:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Govt. could defer some new automotive safety regulations

According to a media report, the government could defer some of the new automotive regulations that are scheduled to come into effect later this year.

Govt. could defer some new automotive safety regulations-87620987578jxyilybgfi1524127120.jpg

The report suggests that the government could defer the requirement of foot rest for pillion rider, standardisation of stands and saree guard for 2-wheelers. The introduction of fire detection and suppression system in buses may also be deferred. The requirement of revised road worthiness certificates for BS6 vehicles could also be put off.

It has also been reported that the government is unlikely to postpone the pedestrian safety norms for cars. Existing models will have to comply with the regulations from October 2020.

The auto industry had made some suggestions to the government after the Covid-19 pandemic started affecting the auto sector. The decision to defer the new regulations is believed to have been taken after taking into consideration these recommendations.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 27th May 2020 at 11:29.
TusharK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 11:59   #2
BHPian

Re: Govt. could defer some new automotive safety regulations

I can fully understand the pain experienced by the automakers and support measures announced by the govt. to help them in this difficult time. That said, we must ensure that we do not go back in time, that is efforts made to make transportation a little bit safer in the country with the highest accident-related deaths should not take a backseat.

Essential safety features which despite the new regulations aren't the most advanced in the world should not be skimped on as a cost-saving measure. There must be plenty of other areas where we can reduce costs without compromising basic safety. The idea should not be to endanger the people of the country to save the auto industry.

Measures like reduction in tax, elimination of import/other duties on safety equipment etc. should be considered before axing much-delayed safety norms. I hope that is the direction the govt. will take although, through experience, I'm also skeptical. Given how labour laws were randomly axed, the treatment of citizens during the pandemic, etc, the interests of the actual people of the country seem to be the last thing on their mind.

We always pay for everything, including for a duty hike at a time when oil was at historic lows, which apparently made India the country with the highest tax on petroleum. Why not utilize that extra % revenue (I realise that total revenue is down due to low consumption) for supporting the automakers? I still hope we retain most of the new laws that protect the people of the country!

Last edited by aaychat : 27th May 2020 at 12:01. Reason: spell check
aaychat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 13:29   #3
BHPian

Re: Govt. could defer some new automotive safety regulations

Can you even register a two-wheeler without a saree guard? I thought it was a mandatory accessory. Also these measures to cut on safety send the message that life is cheaper than few hundreds or thousands.

Most Viewed