Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2020, 14:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gujarat couple use sunroof to come out of drowning Mercedes, but eventually die

A very tragic way to lose a life. I don't think we can blame anyone in this case because we have to be responsible while we drive. The general public don't like people driving fast or slow in their flashy car's. The car here is an S-class, so I'm assuming people were purposely hesitant in helping those couples.
stanjohn123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 14:12   #17
BHPian

Re: Gujarat couple use sunroof to come out of drowning Mercedes, but eventually die

Very sad. Wish there was at least an attempt made to save them. They did well to come out that far, just a little help from bystanders would have seen them through. Many times all it takes is for just one person to step up/forward and suddenly many follow to help...

I don't know, but guess the covid fear might also have played on the minds of the bystanders. There was another case I had read about where a person had collapsed but none stepped forward to help out for the fear of the covid and the person eventually succumbed.
Miyata is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 14:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Wish, they tried something, like a human chain of few people. Sad to see, absolutely Zero efforts.
Not sure if human chain would have worked in deep water. But yeah, really sad to see zero efforts. I think, may be if the couple had held their breath and dived towards the crowd managing a few meters, it could have triggered some response.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 2nd June 2020 at 14:16.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 14:20   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
The car seems to be too far out from the shore, did it float till there or crash from a higher location?
I was wondering too. The news article seems to indicate that the car missed a speed bump. If true, the car must have been really fast to lose control after a bump and land up where it did.

RIP to the poor souls.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 14:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Very shocking, what strikes me the most here is how far inside the Pond car has gone,in this video nothing is visible near the car, so we can assume car must be speeding quite a bit.

We dont know how long they were alive after car went inside pond, but its heart breaking to see no effort being made by anyone around them,since the car was not too far away from where this video is being shot. Even some partial attempt to rescue could have given them a chance - something being thrown towards them even midway!

But it seems car sunk pretty quickly as you can see water gushing inside front side as they were climbing up.
It looks like no one had time to attempt any rescue.

Last edited by silverado : 2nd June 2020 at 14:44.
Old 2nd June 2020, 14:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
The car here is an S-class, so I'm assuming people were purposely hesitant in helping those couples.
That would be too judgmental I guess. I don't think any one would have cared about what brand of car it is and moreover not sure the folks would be able to differentiate if it was an "S" class either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
2. How about having life jackets loaded on to roof rails.
Sir, that would be too much. Cars are supposed be to on the road.

Already the cars are overpriced with all sort of gizmos in it. Now adding this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajmore03 View Post
Actually saving someone who is drowning is very difficult and dangerous (even for someone who knows swimming very well)
That's true. Saving someone from drowning needs a knack. Else you will end up drowning yourselves too unless you are a pro swimmer or life guard.

Surprisingly they had the presence of mind to sneak through the sun roof. The lady lost balance while climbing on it, else they could just hung on to it and stayed still until help arrived. It didn't look deep either as the rear of the car looked planted on land and someone could have walked up to there. Seems like a sudden ditch just after that where the car plunged and until there it was shallow.

Very sad. Hope the close relatives doesn't get to see this video.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 2nd June 2020 at 14:43.
balenoed_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 14:42   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
The car seems to be too far out from the shore, did it float till there or crash from a higher location?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Now that's a good point. How did they end up in the middle of the lake?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I was wondering too.
I wondered about that too; so a bit of googling helped clear this up. The car isn't exactly in the center of the lake. The person who shot the video didn't get the bank on the right (it's very briefly visible as a shadow around the 2s-3s mark).

The video below might give better clarity on how close/far the vehicle was to the bank; the angle of the car matches the direction from which this video has been shot. Also seems like the original video in the first post was taken off the bank on the opposite side next to the trees/shrubs

From the google snapshot below, it seems like the car probably went off the main road into the lake at the bottom corner junction. We probably could be missing additional information (other incoming vehicles, missed turn) than just overspeeding on a speed bump jump.

Gujarat couple use sunroof to come out of drowning Mercedes, but eventually die-accident.jpg
ninjatalli is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 15:16   #23
BHPian

A video explaining how a person with a decade of swimming experience could have drowned himself while rescuing someone. The life guards have a technique to save the drowning person, not to mention a great amount of physical power. Can jump to 02:30 minutes

Last edited by RavSam : 2nd June 2020 at 15:19.
RavSam is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 15:37   #24
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
A video explaining how a person with a decade of swimming experience could have drowned himself while rescuing someone.[/url]
Correctly posted this fact. One of my college mate who knows to swim well and is tall and well built, while trying to rescue another two drowned friends drowned himself along with them. It's easy to say anyone who knows swimming to try and rescue. But that's risky too. A drowning person can grab your leg out of panic and that's it ! Both victim and rescuing person will succumb to drowning effect.
KPR is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 15:46   #25
BHPian

Very sad to see this happen. The car didn't even go down fully under water. Only if they could have held on to the rear of the car, they would have been alive.
The lady slipping off from the car must have triggered the panic and both tried to swim and lost.
Old 2nd June 2020, 15:54   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I was wondering too. The news article seems to indicate that the car missed a speed bump.
Google maps satellite mode doesn't show any speed-breakers. Let me assume that the imagery is not the latest. However, there are crossroads around here, with one leading to Ambapur village from the highway and probably a set of speed-breakers may have come up in recent times too!!

Further, if this in indeed the lake where the car got into, it is very close to the road if you can notice this:

Gujarat couple use sunroof to come out of drowning Mercedes, but eventually die-ambapur.jpg

Quote:
If true, the car must have been really fast to lose control after a bump and land up where it did.
Have a look at this beauty resting inside a bus shelter that it demolished.

Gujarat couple use sunroof to come out of drowning Mercedes, but eventually die-mini1-1.jpg

This was at a location called Bankapura, on Bangalore - Mumbai highway. There are a set of heavy speed breakers exactly 200 meters after you come out of a toll booth here and one can easily miss this as they begin to gain speeds.

This mini seems to have gained speeds faster than usual cars (quite obvious), jumped the speed breakers, flew at an angle towards the shoulder of the road and then demolished the wall of the bus shelter and landed inside it. The bus shelter was easily 50-75 meters ahead of the speed-breaker. Mind you, even from the leftmost lane, this shoulder as per GQ standards was well away from the edge of the road. This bus stop no longer exists after 6 lane work started else would have posted a satellite image to show how away was the shelter from the main highway and yet the car flew into it.

Now imagine this Merc in the accident being referred to fly over a speed breaker (if there is one) and land into the lake which is really close to the highway (as per satellite images of this lake). I am sure the property of water alone is good enough to drag the car ahead after it landed into the lake given that your brakes wont matter now unlike a regular tarmac.

Images of the Mini Cooper accident that I am referring to can be seen here.

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd June 2020 at 15:57.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 15:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
4. To the swimming experts and triathaloners of our forum: Could you suggest life saving tips for non swimmers.
I have been swimming since childhood and have participated in several competitions and now just limited to doing swimming coaching's. Having said that, I would still not be able to say that I can save anyone who is drowning.

Knowing swimming and saving someone from drowning are all together different, while the former is a pre-requisite for the latter. To save someone, you need a knack apart from your swimming skills. I can confidently jump to rescue and swim however far I have to, to reach them, but no guarantee that I can save someone nor can ensure I myself does not get drowned in the process. It again depends on how the victim responds. If they are panic stricken, which they for surely would be, they will try to pull you also along with, which is what you have to overcome and then again swim or stay up until some boat or something come.

Coming to your question, there is absolutely nothing that one can do if they know nothing about swimming. You hardly see anyone survived after drowning unless they have been helped out in time. The moment your mouth/nose is under water, you will lose orientation and in the panic will start taking in water, and it gets worse and that is it.

If you know some basics, you can still do a bit of doggy paddling and try to keep the head above the water level and buy some time until help arrives, but not for long.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 2nd June 2020 at 16:27.
balenoed_ is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 16:01   #28
BHPian

Terrible incident. From the video, looks like the front windows of the car are open which caused it to sink faster once the water reached the level and tips forward causing the lady to lose balance. If the windows were closed, it might have give them a few more critical minutes before someone could have saved them.
Old 2nd June 2020, 16:07   #29
BHPian

Condolences to their families.

If the folks knew some basic swimming (probably some months of pool practice), they would have survived if they maintained composure. They need not have to be strong swimmers, just had to have some basic surviving techniques like floating on the back, bobbing, treading etc - to buy in more time for the actual rescuers. However, even though I was initially angered with the crowd not doing anything, it then struck me that knowing swimming and saving someone while drowning are two different things especially in a lake.

Slightly off topic - for people who don't know swimming and planning to learn - please read/ search youtube about drown proofing practiced by the US Seals. That would inspire some confidence in beginners.
kiranknair is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 16:15   #30
BANNED

All those who think the villagers could do something, please don’t blame them. I learned swimming as a life saving measure, that too late in life. Swimming in pools is too easy and can be taken as a exercise, that’s it. It doesn’t prepare your for anthing like saving others in lakes, rivers or sea. Swimming in rivers and seas require different methods with sea water swimming the easiet one.

To prevent one from drowning one doesn’t need to know swimming, there are techniques to keep you afloat for sometime and repeat. That’s what good swimming coaches teach you. And about saving others, if you haven’t learned how to do that never ever attempt. You can easily be drowned doing that. It’s easy to lecture jump in to the water and all, it’s a different ball game altogether in water. The drowning person can pull you under in panic.

Swimming must be taught to every kid, ideally very early. If not possible, wait till they grow up to 120cm of height. It’s the best exercise if you ask me. You want a great physique just do swimming for a month! And about people dying in water bodies, if you have learned properly and know the limits you won’t get killed. It’s because of over confidence that 99% dies in water bodies.
The Rationalist is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed