Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2020, 16:51   #61
BHPian

Re: Gujarat couple use sunroof to come out of drowning Mercedes, but eventually die

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Are you guys serious? Way too much hypothetical.
Attachment 2013099
Sorry for the loss, but I don't see much to be done here by the car manufacturer. Ideally car is supposed to run on road not in water. It is a rare scenario for a car landing in water body. Now there can be another scenario where car can take off from a fly over, does that mean they should provide a parachute for the same.

It is our duty to drive responsibly and be prepared for such scenarios like keeping a hammer to break window glass, or fire extinguisher in CNG cars etc. to name a few. If one feels they might land up in such situation better to keep a life jacket inside car.
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:11   #62
BHPian

Re: Gujarat couple use sunroof to come out of drowning Mercedes, but eventually die

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Knowing how to swim is a double-edged sword. If you look at page 3 of a newspaper, you will notice that close to 100% of drowning incidents involve young (mostly) males who have ventured into sea, river, lake, pond or waterfalls. All because they "know" how to swim. Those who do not know how to swim take all the precautions and don't take unnecessary risks. Perhaps learning how to swim needs to accompanied by lessons on dangers of swimming in natural water bodies.
That is a pretty ridiculous viewpoint IMO. Its also biased. It sort of infers that anyone who knows how to swim is looking for trouble and getting themselves in all sorts of dangerous situations.

Swimming is a base, fundamental skill that every body should know regardless. A basic life skill. Even most of those who know it in India, dont know it properly since it has never been taught professionally. A lifeguard in Hampi told me that the drowning cases of tourists there is almost always local Indian tourists. No white/foreigner has ever drowned there during his time because they know how to swim properly. Says a lot.

Last edited by SmartCat : 3rd June 2020 at 17:16. Reason: fixed quote
car love is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:21   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
That is a pretty ridiculous viewpoint IMO. Its also biased. It sort of infers that anyone who knows how to swim is looking for trouble and getting themselves in all sorts of dangerous situations.
From WHO website:
https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-s...lated%20deaths.

Quote:
Males are especially at risk of drowning, with twice the overall mortality rate of females. They are more likely to be hospitalized than females for non-fatal drowning. Studies suggest that the higher drowning rates among males are due to increased exposure to water and riskier behaviour such as swimming alone, drinking alcohol before swimming alone and boating.
You can also do some Google research on your own, and analyze drowning deaths in Western nations. They have comprehensive data, unlike developing countries.

Last edited by SmartCat : 3rd June 2020 at 17:35.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:01   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I don't know about that. The argument that says knowing how to swim results in an increased chance of drowning because it means you are more likely to swim is an odd way of thinking.

The same WHO report also states the following
Quote:
Teaching school-age children basic swimming, water safety and safe rescue skills is another approach [to prevent drowning].
I learned how to swim only as an adult and it was at a government-run swimming pool at Jayanagar in Bangalore. I say this to emphasize that this was not an expensive or fancy course and yet, the one point my instructor drilled into us was the risk of swimming in non-pool environments.

I believe this is the right approach - learn the skill and understand the contexts where you can use it safely. And when confronted with a horrible scenario like this thread, it gives you a great chance of survival.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 3rd June 2020 at 18:07.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:23   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post

I believe this is the right approach - learn the skill and understand the contexts where you can use it safely. And when confronted with a horrible scenario like this thread, it gives you a great chance of survival.
Very sensible. It is somewhat equivalent to learning how to drive a car (can be a life saver in family emergencies), but also learning how to drive safely.

Last edited by SmartCat : 3rd June 2020 at 18:25.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:46   #66
BANNED

After viewing the video in youtube, I am sure that the onlookers didn't have a lot of time to save the deceased couple. They sank in less than a minute because the woman panicked, slipped into the water and pulled the man with her. They sank before the car went under water.

This again reiterates my view that that we reach our destination on our roads is purely because of the mercy of God.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 3rd June 2020 at 18:49.
Old 3rd June 2020, 19:16   #67
Senior - BHPian

Such sad news indeed. Here in my hometown, riddled with "haipains" off late, I can see ambulances, cars and ending up in ravine. Not sure, if lockdown makes racier or just that "who will come, who cares" attitude, but sad to see free roads taking out drivers, when they least expect. RIP

Cheers!
VJ
Old 3rd June 2020, 19:25   #68
BHPian

A quick search on youtube, recommends this:
1)unfasten the seat belt
2)lower the window
3)climb out of the car

What happened here looks like sinking car created a negative pressure which indirectly sucked things around it , disorienting people. Moving/swimming away from car could have helped.
Shamegz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 19:44   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I don't know about that. The argument that says knowing how to swim results in an increased chance of drowning because it means you are more likely to swim is an odd way of thinking.
It is about men/boys having a bigger chance of drowning than females/girls, for no other reason than their behaviour. Taking risk, alcohol, sheer stupidity etc.

It is not only apparent during swimming, but just about any activity will see the male gender getting hurt more badly or even killed than their female counter part.

I live here in the Netherlands right on a river and within cycling distance of the busiest rivers in Europe. Gorgeous weather, so a lot of people will take to the water. In boats and along the river edges. Even thought most Dutch kids learn to swim from very age onwards, every year kids and adults get themselves killed in this season. And it is almost always boys/men. They swim out in the middle of river, underestimate the current, the speed of barges, the swirls. They are showing off, they get drunk, they drive their water scooter to near a dam, a 20.000 tonnes push barge etc.

I can see it happening every time I go out for ride on my bicycle/classic cars in the region. If I read in the news a speed boat crashed into a dinghy, a motorboat hit a swimmer, you can bet it was men being stupid, showing off.

Of course, part of this is also boys/men showing off for the women folk. It is all very Neanderthaler, but it is what it is. It often looks like fun, until somebody gets himself into serious trouble, or worse killed.

Over the years, the number of accidental drownings in rivers, canal and lakes is actually on the rise here in the Netherlands. That is due to immigrant kids. They go out with their Dutch mates. But the local boys grew up here on the river banks, they know where the current will be, what parts you should avoid etc. It is part of their DNA, passed on from father to son. Of course, not so for young folks who came to the Netherlands only a few years ago. They have no idea, they want to act as bravely as their Dutch friends, big mistake.

It is the same with bicycle accidents. More men/boys have accidents than female/girls. The same pattern is visible in car accidents as well. Although in some countries women have slightly more accidents than man, when you start looking at serious accidents it is again men who outnumber the women.

As the saying goes: there are reasons why men have a shorter live expectancy than women. Mostly due to their own stupid behaviour.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 3rd June 2020 at 19:47.
Jeroen is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 21:43   #70

Many underestimate the importance of learning how to swim, it's a necessity in case of such emergencies.
If even one of them knew, this wouldn't happen and for those watching, I'm repulsed by such disgusting humans. How can you just stand and watch???

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd June 2020 at 22:18. Reason: Post fixed, excessive dots removed.
Old 3rd June 2020, 22:08   #71
BHPian

For someone who has spent a good 2 decades at sea, I will just sum it up by saying that without any flotation device like a lifejacket or a lifebuoy, it can be dangerous to approach a person who is panicking in the water. That is why an untrained person should never attempt a swimming rescue.

Lifeguards get trained to get behind the drowning person and support his/her neck, I would assume, so that they can control the person and get him/her to calm down well enough to be towed.

Even though I have been through various training courses at sea, and involved in a rescue mission but this aspect of rescuing people without any equipment is generally not covered.
Water at sea is moving while the one here in the pond is basically stagnant and a bit easier as moving water or the current will just take the person away from you.

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd June 2020 at 22:18. Reason: i -> I
Old_Salt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 22:38   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
Swimming is a base, fundamental skill that every body should know regardless. A basic life skill. Even most of those who know it in India, dont know it properly since it has never been taught professionally. A lifeguard in Hampi told me that the drowning cases of tourists there is almost always local Indian tourists. No white/foreigner has ever drowned there during his time because they know how to swim properly. Says a lot.
Time to share my funny life story - I learned to swim at Jayanagar corporation swimming pool during my teen years with 2 other friends. We jumped into the pool, and basically taught each other to stay afloat. I would get to where I wanted to go (faster than the 2 friends) I always thought of myself as a great swimmer.

Fast forward a few decades, and I had to pass a swim test before attending a sailing class. The swim was in the Pacific Ocean(Ocean beach, San Diego), right next to the ocean pier. I was only ever going to be 6ft away from the pier. The person handing the test was a teenage kid. He watched me swim, and immediately started paddling in a canoe toward me. He continuously asked me if I was alright, or if I needed help. I only made it half way, I had to hold the pier. I rested, more than once. My pride and ego was getting the better of me, and I started making excuses to that kid.

The kid seemed embarrassed to suggest that with good technique I can do the same course with as much energy as running. He asked me if I would be willing to take the test again without having to rest - just before the sailing class.

I decided to take a lesson, and I demonstrated my expertise to the instructor. The swim instructor smiled looking at me swim. He mentioned that it seemed like I was trying to empty the pool. My ego was completely shattered. Here I was telling the world I was a good swimmer for decades. After the lesson, I practiced for 2 straight weeks everyday in the apartment pool, I passed that swim test, and did the sailing course. I guess I was only better than the 2 friends that I swam with in Jayanagar. I was the 3rd worst swimmer in the world, with a lot of confidence.

Apologies for the tangent. I just want to highlight the importance of really learning how to swim in natural water bodies. People may overestimate their capabilities based on swimming in a pool.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 3rd June 2020 at 22:45.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 22:51   #73
Senior - BHPian

Extremely disturbing to see this!

They made a mistake clearly if they were speeding and failing to control the car. But, what’s more disappointing and inhumane is people just filming this while the incident took place but I don’t see anyone attempting by throwing a rope.

I could be wrong when I said the above, which could mostly not in the frame while the efforts did happen in the background where camera eyes didn’t capture. But if there were no efforts done then it’s seriously concerning. A rope may be would have helped? All this happened within 5 mins which did leave short window time for passerby’s to help with lack of logistic support too.

May their soul rest in peace.

Regards
RV
Old 4th June 2020, 07:53   #74
BHPian

All deaths are tragic, but this is extremely disheartening to see people could record the event but could not make any effort to save the two souls. I don't believe it happened so fast. When the car fell into the waterbody, occupants must have been disoriented initially. Several minutes would have passed before they came out through the sunroof one by one. Meanwhile, crowd gathered and all they did was shooting the video
Old 4th June 2020, 09:03   #75
BHPian

A few recommendations for trying to save a drowning person:-

1. Do not try to go within an arm's length of the person whom you are trying to save. In all probability, that person would grab you and try to climb onto you. He would do all this in panic ofcourse, and instinct to survive would dictate his actions. This is very dangerous, as no matter how good a swimmer you are, when a grown up guy tries to clamber onto you in panic, you won't be able to keep yourself afloat, and instead you may do down as well. There are numerous such instances where the rescuer has also drowned along with the guy being saved.

2. Instead, best is to approach/ swim towards the drowning guy with a strong pole/ stick/ rod/ any floatation device. Go close enough so that he is able to grab on to one end of the pole/ stick, and then pull him to the shallow end. Much much safer approach for both parties.

3. Ofcourse, the best and safest way would be to throw a lifeline/ rope etc from the shore, where feasible.
nvldvr is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed