Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2020, 10:30   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Gujarat couple use sunroof to come out of drowning Mercedes, but eventually die

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
...the one point my instructor drilled into us was the risk of swimming in non-pool environments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
They swim out in the middle of river, underestimate the current, the speed of barges, the swirls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I just want to highlight the importance of really learning how to swim in natural water bodies. People may overestimate their capabilities based on swimming in a pool.
Exactly what happened to me in college. I learned to swim when I was about 7 or 8, in a pool and was fortunate to have access to public pools throughout. Consequently, by the time I got to college, I was a pretty decent swimmer (again in the pool) better than almost all my friends. That certainly inflated my ego. College was in a beautiful part of the state, close to the sea, rivers, waterfalls. On one outing to a small river, I attempted to swim across a small stream. Looked very peaceful and the distance across was pretty small. Got caught in the undercurrent, was swimming frantically just to stay in the same place! Finally just drifted downstream for a bit before the current fortunately subsided and I was able to get back to shore. Won't underestimate natural bodies of water again!

Last edited by am1m : 4th June 2020 at 10:32.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 11:55   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Gujarat couple use sunroof to come out of drowning Mercedes, but eventually die

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Got caught in the undercurrent, was swimming frantically just to stay in the same place! Finally just drifted downstream for a bit before the current fortunately subsided and I was able to get back to shore. Won't underestimate natural bodies of water again!
Luckily, in the end you did the right thing; When you get caught in a current at sea or in a river, always go with the flow. No matter how powerful a swimmer you are, there is no way you can outdo mother nature. Go with the flow or perpendicular to the flow.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 14:05   #78
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
A few recommendations for trying to save a drowning person:-

1. Do not try to go within an arm's length of the person whom you are trying to save. In all probability, that person would grab you and try to climb onto you. He would do all this in panic ofcourse, and instinct to survive would dictate his actions. This is very dangerous, as no matter how good a swimmer you are, when a grown up guy tries to clamber onto you in panic, you won't be able to keep yourself afloat, and instead you may do down as well. There are numerous such instances where the rescuer has also drowned along with the guy being saved.

2. Instead, best is to approach/ swim towards the drowning guy with a strong pole/ stick/ rod/ any floatation device. Go close enough so that he is able to grab on to one end of the pole/ stick, and then pull him to the shallow end. Much much safer approach for both parties.

3. Ofcourse, the best and safest way would be to throw a lifeline/ rope etc from the shore, where feasible.
These are great points. Is there anything the drowning couple could have done differently, trying to figure if there is any advice I can give to parents etc if ever in a similar situation.
Old 4th June 2020, 14:27   #79
BHPian

Couldn't watch the whole video as it was too heartbreaking to see. They would have been alive if they atleast knew basic swimming lessons like floating on the back.
Old 4th June 2020, 14:41   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
These are great points. Is there anything the drowning couple could have done differently, trying to figure if there is any advice I can give to parents etc if ever in a similar situation.
There is precious little that non swimmers can do in such situations. No amount of advice like staying calm/ gently holding on to the helper or help being provided etc would hold good under such panic that they would be overcome with.

Notwithstanding, it must be reiterated that they should look for anything that's afloat, and try and take support of it gently to stay afloat themselves, rather than just trying to use all their powers to climb onto it. This way, there are far better chances of survival.
nvldvr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 14:44   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
This is very dangerous, as no matter how good a swimmer you are, when a grown up guy tries to clamber onto you in panic, you won't be able to keep yourself afloat, and instead you may do down as well. There are numerous such instances where the rescuer has also drowned along with the guy being saved.
I would say rescuing a kid also is very tough. I tried swimming with my 5 year kid on my back in a swimming pool. It was never easy. I had to put my leg down within few feets. You need to be in a good shape physically and of course, you need to be a good swimmer.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 15:00   #82
Senior - BHPian

Very sad to see this on video. Why cant the seats be something you could pull and use for floatation like in aircrafts :( Not sure if they opened the sunroof while in water or it was opened already

Looked far from shore and cant assume someone on shore would be able to go to that distance and bring them back. Its not easy. Also, if its away from any habitat, getting a rope or anything else to aid rescue would have been a issue. People might have even arrived there late already.

This thing of being able to see such things on video makes one feel really sad.

Last edited by srishiva : 4th June 2020 at 15:01.
Old 4th June 2020, 19:03   #83
BHPian

All these people had time to shoot a video but nobody had the guts to jump in and save the couple. It is just a lake for heaven's sake, not the ocean or a fast flowing river with strong water currents.

I mean normally you have kids jumping in the lake and swimming in villages and some amongst these bystanders would have known how to swim. Sad... this is extremely sad. Everyone wants to watch the show and nobody wants to help !! Easily two precious lives could have been saved.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 19:56   #84
BHPian

Heart breaking for us strangers, I can not begin to think how must the family be feeling after watching these videos.

It is never a good idea to jump in a water body to save a drowning person when you are not trained for it. It is always good to know a little swimming, at the least you should learn how to stay afloat. It is very easy once you get rid of initial fear & panic. I strongly recommend, if you have kids, force them to learn this one skill, it is a very good physical exercise & a life saving skill.

For those asking, what can they do if they are in such a situation god forbid, buy and keep this tucked in back of your car seats. Yes, it is that small and light usually. It helps you float, you can hold it in your hands and just have to use your legs to move. My wife is scared of swimming, I helped her learn to float using this in a couple of weeks. You must use this for a couple of weeks to understand how this works. I am in no way saying this is a sure short guarantee to save you but this will help you be better prepared and can give you a fighting chance.

Picture source - Prokick Website
Gujarat couple use sunroof to come out of drowning Mercedes, but eventually die-61ojjpuvsvl._sl1500_720x.jpg
Engine_Roars is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 10:41   #85
Senior - BHPian

By observing closely at the video, it doesn't look like the car was floating and sunk gradually like Titanic as such.

The rear wheel looks to be planted on the land and with even the bumper still above the water which means the depth wasn't there and the car's mid body section was acting like a fulcrum.

In the video, when they both were standing stationery the car wasn't sinking and would have held up as is. Had they carefully walked up over the car via the boot and got down towards the rear and jumped on to the water, they would have landed on a knee deep water probably (I agree it is easy said than done, but just opening up what options they had). Probably it was shallow till the point where the car's front dived into a ditch.

Gujarat couple use sunroof to come out of drowning Mercedes, but eventually die-guj.jpg

The same goes with the observers, no idea why they did not think if it could be just walk-able in the water till the car.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 5th June 2020 at 10:55.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 11:50   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
By observing closely at the video, it doesn't look like the car was floating and sunk gradually like Titanic as such.

The rear wheel looks to be planted on the land and with even the bumper still above the water which means the depth wasn't there and the car's mid body section was acting like a fulcrum.
Cars actually float in the water in that position for some time until the cabin gets flooded.

The front of the car housing the mechanicals being the heavier side with no air pockets will get submerged first under water and the roomy and bouyant rear side floats upwards, holding the car floating at angle with the rear pointing up.

With water filling up the cabin, the car sinks into the water sliding into the water with the engine part down.

The situation in this case was very much similar to Titanic.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 5th June 2020 at 11:54.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 12:10   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
All these people had time to shoot a video but nobody had the guts to jump in and save the couple. It is just a lake for heaven's sake, not the ocean or a fast flowing river with strong water currents.

I mean normally you have kids jumping in the lake and swimming in villages and some amongst these bystanders would have known how to swim. Sad... this is extremely sad. Everyone wants to watch the show and nobody wants to help !! Easily two precious lives could have been saved.
It has nothing to do with guts, rescuing someone from drowning is an expert skill and knowing swimming doesn't mean you can do it. I'm not justifying those taking the video, but I doubt anyone there could have rescued them. They are dead because of the speed bump that caused them to end up in that tank, cops will probably say they were over speeding.
Old 5th June 2020, 15:32   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

In the video, when they both were standing stationery the car wasn't sinking and would have held up as is. Had they carefully walked up over the car via the boot and got down towards the rear and jumped on to the water, they would have landed on a knee deep water probably (I agree it is easy said than done, but just opening up what options they had). Probably it was shallow till the point where the car's front dived into a ditch.

Attachment 2013626

The same goes with the observers, no idea why they did not think if it could be just walk-able in the water till the car.
If it was walkable till the water, then the couple could have also walked back, isn't it. It's easy for us to sit and comment on the people there with our keyboards, but majority of the locals would know how deep the lake is, and the risks involved.

Also as discussed to moon and beyond on this thread itself that rescuing someone is not a ball in the park, and anyone would think twice putting there life in danger if they are not sure of own abilities to get out of it alive.
Old 5th June 2020, 15:50   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
If it was walkable till the water, then the couple could have also walked back, isn't it. It's easy for us to sit and comment on the people there with our keyboards, but majority of the locals would know how deep the lake is, and the risks involved.
Yes of course, could have walked, if at all they were able to step out of the car towards the rear (If the rear of the car was indeed shallow and do you see the rear was still above the water for quite some time until the front portion started submerging) but before they could do that (the lady was attempting too but she lost balance and slipped), the vehicle plunged into the deeper area.

I do not know about how much the locals knew apart from taking videos.
Old 5th June 2020, 17:01   #90
BHPian

Tragic. There is only one thing for me to say here.

Based on this incident, and the one where a hatchback fell from a narrow bridge in MP (https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/71811620.cms) and the baby was tossed by the father from the drowning car, the tragedy in India is that the knowledge of swimming is absent from almost everyone in India, and that swimming is neither incorporated as an activity in schools of any type, nor is encouraged as an essential skill for every human being in the community.

Don't know if (at least) private school owners will ever feel the need to bring about a change and invest in swimming pools and regular swimming classes for children, but the fact that they currently don't is not only shameful, but an embarrassment for us Indians as a whole. Anybody outside India, especially the "developed" Western nations, has just one question on these type of news - Why did they not swim to the shore? It is that shocking for most of them to not know how to swim.

And no it is not lack of clean open water bodies, or lack of public/private swimming pools in Indian cities. Those are merely excuses ridden with self-pity and self-empathy for those that do not know. Most urban Indians do not know swimming because our urban society has never shown itself its importance in life. It is a human skill that is more important than riding a bicycle. If our countrymen can invest crores in places of worship, there is no excuse in not having clean open public swimming pools because when the time comes, God is not going to pull you out of the water, no matter how hard you pray to Him. Peace!

Last edited by haldar_siliguri : 5th June 2020 at 17:12.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed