Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2020, 12:03   #1
BHPian

Dangers of driving, post lockdown

@mods I couldn't find a related thread, please merge if you think the topic doesn't warrant a new thread.

The COVID-19 induced lockdown has been tough on most of the people. Many people faced lot of hardship during these though times. But, now when the relaxation is being introduced in a phased manner, I see new set of problems arising.

During this entire period of lockdown I've been working from home and have been doing essentials errands once in 10 days. I've noticed and observed that the driving behavior of people has deteriorated over this period. Most of the people are breaking roads rules, for example, speeding, wrong side driving, rash driving, parking anywhere and everywhere to name a few. Why blame others, even myself during the outing for essentials have revved the car just to enjoy speed (I know I'm wrong) . All my limited driving during this period was on roads in Municipal limits only no highway runs.

My general observation is people have become even more inconsiderate about the road rules during the lockdown period. I'm afraid this new driving behavior is going to increase the road accidents. Through this thread I wanted the members to share their observations on this issue. If need be please share how to drive safe post lockdown. Ideally would have added a poll to gauge the mood here, but for now a thread seems logical.

What do you people feel?
1. Driving behavior has become bad and dangerous.
2. No, we were always like this. Any changes observed may be due to smaller sample size (read less vehicles on road).
Jerryaj is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 13:01   #2
BHPian

re: Dangers of driving, post lockdown

Yes things have changed a bit. Traffic has increased manifold as offices have resumed with 100% attendance but public transport options are limited. As a result there are more private vehicles,two wheelers & cycles on road now. I have seen drivers becoming impatient & honking unnecessarily. Many are breaking traffic rules as well. Driving behavior needs to be adjusted in this scenario as this phase will continue till time unknown.

Last edited by SDP : 8th June 2020 at 20:38. Reason: Typo
Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 15:50   #3
BHPian

I believe Traffic Police is also taking a backseat in some cases as they do not want to be "close" enough to anyone and everyone trying to break rules, may be reporting of cases online would increase. Police department have had its own casualties too for COVID.

With that in mind I believe traffic situation will worsen. The more danger however will lie in Highway and Night driving where we have to be even more careful of dacoits / robbers. Better to stick to day travelling only for some months. Even I would think twice before parking in a deserted highway Dhabas after evening sometimes even during afternoons.
Old 8th June 2020, 16:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryaj View Post
My general observation is people have become even more inconsiderate about the road rules during the lockdown period. I'm afraid this new driving behavior is going to increase the road accidents.

What do you people feel?
1. Driving behavior has become bad and dangerous.
2. No, we were always like this. Any changes observed may be due to smaller sample size (read less vehicles on road).
Completely agreed with point 1! Road manners have terribly deteriorated over the past couple of months.

On my way to the hospital to drop my wife, there are several junctions, most which have traffic signals. Since the lock-down started, they were turned off, but the reduced traffic made crossing them safe. Now with almost regular traffic, people still zoom through these signals without a care in the world. I've had several close calls. People have also become rash, especially the bikers. I think this will take some time to go back to the "regular" bad driving.

On the other hand, driving in north Kerala has become much much safer, since private buses no longer run! You can drive around town and come back without having the feeling that somebody tried to murder you!
GeneralJazz is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 17:23   #5
BHPian

I have had a similar observation as the OP. I've seen people driving rash.

Many people who have their cars driven by a chauffeur, now are behind the wheels after a lot of years. This might be because their drivers are away and the owners don't want to take a risk with their health. So these people, who are behind wheels after a very long time, seem to be "impatient", if I may use the word, to get to their destination and get done with the driving part. Many of them don't enjoy driving like we do. This, combined with their "Hell with the Rules, I'm influential !" Attitude results in an irritable experience for us, when we come across them. Of course, there are also owners who drive much decently than their drivers and I don't mean to include them in the above opinion.

But if I were to be careful of something very specifically, then it's the Mini-Trucks. These guys are driving dangerously fast and rash these days. They are going at speeds which might not be controllable for them. I found them driving finicky these days after the lockdown.
saisailendra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 17:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

The biggest hazard of driving after the "lock-down" is most of us being "out of touch" with the traffic conditions that we're used to. We need to be more attentive and careful. Especially when the lock down eases fully, during long drives we need to be more careful and find new places for rest rooms and eateries may not be "up to the mark" due to disuse.
Durango Dude is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 19:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

From 25th May to 5th June I did a brief Work From Office and was clearly observing rash driving. Last Wednesday I was driving back and just after Lajpat Nagar Metro Station, through my left a Black Merc AMG G Wagon roared passed by. That too very close. Just as I saw the rear stepney of AMG I saw a Blue X5 in my right mirror almost at rear of my right side. I was in the middle lane and doing ~50 kmph. Those two were racing and could easily say that they were doing more than 100 kmphs

People who drive here know how narrow the 3 lanes between Lajpat Nagar Metro station and Moolchand Flyover. I could say it was a lucky day for that AMG guy since traffic was very less that point of time and due to Metro station and Central Market closed, no vehicles or pedestrians popping from the byroads.

Luckily I am back to WFH from today onwards.

Cheers!

Last edited by BlackPearl : 8th June 2020 at 19:30. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
myavu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 20:02   #8
BHPian

Went out for a ride today. Can confirm about people releasing their pent up frustrations and idiocies out on the road. Their careless behaviour is even more shocking (not like they were the best drivers earlier). The best thing to do in such a post COVID world would be to not travel on longer journeys immediately.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 00:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is what has happened in my place and I suspect this is also the same in many other areas.

Many folks were dependent on public transport, with public transport locked down and the fear that many folks have of that, people have shifted to private transport, bikes, scooters etc.. These people are not really keen on driving/riding and are doing so because they have no other option left. This is the primary reason why I think, you can see elder folks join to the highway in an unexpected matter, these people are having a tough time and is aggrevating the road manners.

Our maid who has never ridden till date, but had a DL as a proof of id, got a second hand two wheeler gifted to her by someone. I think this trend will continue as people continue to fear public transport.

I also suspect that pre-owned two wheeler prices will go up, also demand for cheap cars.
govigov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 09:41   #10
BHPian

I usually think Monday traffic is crazy. Most of them drive like they're new to driving. Don't know if that's because of Monday blues or they forgot driving in traffic (just with a gap of 2 days at max.). Now after almost 2 months of gap, I could only imagine the worst. Unsurprisingly, that is what is happening.

Here in Hyderabad, the lockdown period was utilized for improving road infrastructure. We have fresh smooth newly laid roads, newly opened fly-overs etc. While this is a blessing, on the darker side, people don't even stop for potholes now

Even if the traffic is less compared to pre-lockdown days, it has turned more dangerous than before. I think people want to get back to safety as fast as they can. Relatively empty roads are just helping them further.

Traffic in this post lockdown period is almost like driving on country roads in the night: lot of unpredictable variables. Except, here its during broad daylight.

In high traffic density areas (mostly at traffic signals), social distancing is a JOKE. I could only feel bad for those 'few' 2 wheelers who at least try to maintain distance at signals - other 99.999% don't care and try to fit 100 vehicles in those 1 m gaps (No offence to anyone, I'm just stating what I see).

PS: For my trips to office, I take office bus or do carpool with colleagues (with all necessary precautions).
Mr.Bentley is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 10:06   #11
BHPian

In Bangalore I see people have totally forgotten about the Helmet rule for 2 wheelers.
Before the lockdown the cops were strict and even the pillion riders used to wear a helmet.

Now no one seems to care. Even the cops are not enforcing anything.
Fillmore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 10:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
In Bangalore I see people have totally forgotten about the Helmet rule for 2 wheelers.
Before the lockdown the cops were strict and even the pillion riders used to wear a helmet.

Now no one seems to care. Even the cops are not enforcing anything.
They seem to be taking photos of violators. Maybe they will charge them later.
Old 9th June 2020, 10:38   #13
BHPian

I can only speak for myself. I have become extremely calm while driving. The lockdown has made me more patient than ever. My tolerance level for everything is extremely high. It helps that traffic is less.
Malyaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 10:57   #14
BHPian

Here in Noida, the situation has turned really bad, and unfortunately, I had to step out to get my motorcycle serviced. In that 6 km, I witnessed 2 major accidents, Case 1 where a Micra T-boned a Vento and Case 2 where a squid with no helmet, no mask, and using phone while riding crashed into an SUV.

Both accidents happened at red lights but people refuse to stop because of less traffic.
utkarshshukla92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 19:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dangers of driving, post lockdown

I agree 100%. Road manners have become far worse in Mumbai when I went out yesterday. Everyone was driving like a maniac.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks