Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2020, 18:48   #46
BHPian

Re: Turn Signals + Headlamps : A dangerous combo?

As many have previously mentioned, the problem is people driving on high beam at all times in India. It really irritates me. Instead of the making a constant beep at more than 80kph compulsory, they should have made auto dipping headlights compulsory. Will stop more accidents than the speed warning.
Amsdoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 10:53   #47
BHPian

Many manufacturers such as Jeep, Audi, VW, Range Rover have this unique feature where the headlights turn off when the indicator is switched ON.
Attached Thumbnails
Turn Signals + Headlamps : A dangerous combo?-indicator-headlight.jpg  

wheeledwanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 00:04   #48
BHPian

This is a very serious problem. People think that the other driver has seen their indicators but they fail to realise that their high beams prevent others from seeing the indicators.

As a matter of practice I always dip my headlights when the indicator is switched on.

In this age of cheap electronic features, I don't think it would cost the manufactures much to incorporate this.
Old 22nd June 2020, 12:10   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledwanderer View Post
Many manufacturers such as Jeep, Audi, VW, Range Rover have this unique feature where the headlights turn off when the indicator is switched ON.
In case of DRL and turn signal operation, it is a regulatory requirement that DRL has to either switch off or go to POSITION (less brighter ) MODE.
This is applicable with both DRL and FTI is realized with same optics or when they are very closely situated.
Leem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:57   #50
BHPian

Its actually quite simple, on a two lane road, the car turning right(even when indicating) has to give way to the car on opposite lane. The right of way is of the vehicle on its lane and has to be given priority. Merely indicating would not override this right of way of the vehicle in the lane.

Whether or not the indicator is visible to the vehicle approaching is not quite relevant as the vehicle turning right has to give way.

Rule 15 of CMVR, 1989 is quite detailed in this regard; the person ignoring such basics of driving should never have been issued a driving licence.

OTOH some of the cars now offer ORVM mounted indicators which are prominently visible and ideally the indicators should be bright enough to be visible from the sides, especially when negotiating a crossing where there is no traffic light or the light is not functional.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th September 2020 at 16:59. Reason: Correction in second paragraph: Vehicle turning right has to 'give' way.
Old 8th September 2020, 16:36   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
If you are unable to differentiate between a blinking turn signal and a headlight beam within the same housing on a 2 lane road, chances are you were travelling faster than the speed limit on that road. That or some kind of colorblindness.

Is there no wing mirror lights or front fender lights you could spot?
This has happened with me as well on more than one occasion in the last ~13 years or so. When this happened for the first time, I ignored it, thinking that I must have been unmindful. However, when the incident repeated itself (not very frequent), I reached my destination, and decided to go over the course of events that had happened. When I gave it more serious thoughts, I realized that on all those occasions, the sun-rays were at such an angle that no other light could be seen when traveling towards that car from the opposite direction. And these were during different times of the day, on different roads.

On all other instances I have to admit that I am, or should I say, was, fast enough to notice the turn signals.

Not sure, if anyone else has faced a similar situation like me above, or was it just me?
arijit_chat2006 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 17:15   #52
BHPian

Victim here. Always during the night. Most of the times from dusk till dawn. Sometimes in broad daylight.

I get to wonder is it the bulb? Colour of the bulb? Enclosure /Assy? Colour of the enclosure /assy? Engineer /Designer at Vehicle /Brand’s HQ?
Old 8th September 2020, 17:24   #53
BHPian

Yes the turn indicators on some models will not be seen blinking if the high beams are on. It's not the manufacturer's fault. High beams should NEVER be used if there is an oncoming vehicle in front. Most people here drive with high beams on permanently not realizing that they are blinding others or realizing but not really caring. The attitude that prevails is if everyone is blinding me then I'll also leave my high beams on. Two wrongs making a right.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks