Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2020, 17:02   #16
BHPian

Re: Police to use CCTV footage to catch overspeeding vehicles on Mumbai-Pune Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Going against the tide here and will say that, if they want to control speeding, this will be a highly effective measure.
+1

I completely agree. There is similar system in place here in Europe, but it's completely automated. There are two cameras on a given stretch of road, and they measure the time that it takes each vehicle to cross the stretch between the two cameras. If a vehicle is faster than the time it would take at the speed limit, a speeding ticket is sent to the person. I have personally seen how effective this measure is, as you see people occasionally speeding in other places, but the moment it comes to that stretch of road, not a single person crosses the speed limit, and no one tries overtaking either unless there is a very slow moving vehicle.

Quote:
In fact, I will say that the cops are using technology well by using CCTVs instead of deploying personnel at the toll booths. CCTVs are a reliable 24x7 solution.

I just wish they increase the speed limit to a more reasonable 100 - 120 kmph.
I wish they would automate it to eliminate human error, and resources taken just to do this monitoring work manually, but I understand that costs money, so this is probably the best solution for the time-being.

I also agree that the speed limit should be raised to something more reasonable, as the road is definitely suitable.

Cheers
Old 5th July 2020, 13:44   #17
BHPian

Re: Police to use CCTV footage to catch overspeeding vehicles on Mumbai-Pune Expressway

As someone who's 90% of car mileage is on the Mumbai Pune expressway, I know for a fact that this isn't new. They have been doing this for at least 5-6 years.

Yes, drivers can take a break between the 2 tolls but it does serve as a deterrent for those who look to save time by overspeeding. Overspeeding due to lack of time and hurry are more likely to result in an accident due to anxiety. Even if it reduces 25% of people and makes people conscious, it is a good move. I have traveled with someone who was fined because we completed the stretch very quickly.

Many people don't know this but the police officers randomly travel with single drivers from one toll to another and note down the number plates of those drivers who change lanes frequently, heavy vehicles occupying first lane and even private vehicles using the first lane for a long time ( It should only be used for overtaking it seems). I have been fined once for driving in the first lane without the need for overtaking. I have also given life to officers multiple times who have travelled with me noting number plates of rule violators

Occasionally, I have also seen them using speed guns and again I have known people who have been fined with e-challans.

Let's appreciate these officers for trying to find ways of pushing those who put public life at risk.
Mr.Beat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 01:02   #18
BHPian

Average speed cameras are very widely used here in the UK. Most drivers get caught out by these cameras rather than fixed cameras. However, the key to an effective average speed camera system is that there are no pit stops between cameras.
Old 6th July 2020, 03:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

The best option is a set of speeding cameras, this is the second-best option with a lot of loopholes. While the majority of people will follow this rule, the habitual wilful speeder will take a break at a hotel/restroom.
Quote:
Going against the tide here and will say that, if they want to control speeding, this will be a highly effective measure.....
- Do you know why everyone drives at 80 kmph on the sealink? Rigorous e-challan handouts via cameras.
This policy won't be highly effective as no one will be caught in the act. This is an exact opposite of circumstantial evidence where the evidence does not prove innocence.
Old 6th July 2020, 10:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:

I thought the speed limit was increased to 100 kmph at least up to the toll from Mumbai side. I have not travelled on expressway since Feb but I remember seeing speed limit signs of 100 kmph.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 21:12   #21
BHPian

While the objective makes sense, implementation does not. Ideally they should use speed cameras at various spots to record and penalise over speeding vehicles.

This system is already done very effectively on namy places. Few examplesare Hyderabad ORR and NH 47 between coimbatore and trissur. In fact Kerala has it on many state highways.

Above all, I sincerely believe driving manners, road safety, civic sense etc needs to be taught from primary school. All these fines, checks etc are merely not addressing the root issue, which is lack of uniform understanding of rules of the land.
Old 7th July 2020, 18:48   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Going against the tide here and will say that, if they want to control speeding, this will be a highly effective measure. I know I have given the below examples a number of times, but here goes again:

- Do you know why everyone drives at 80 kmph on the sealink? Rigorous e-challan handouts via cameras.

- How drunk driving rates went down overnight by 90%? Jail time!

- Why a small number of trolls behave themselves on Team-BHP? Infractions & bans.

- Why every car cruises at 30 kmph on JJ Flyover? Heavy fines.

In fact, I will say that the cops are using technology well by using CCTVs instead of deploying personnel at the toll booths. CCTVs are a reliable 24x7 solution.

True but all this is serving is the exchequer in generating is revenue. How much has this impacted in reduction of road fatalities. Road fatalities need a complete solution. That includes, better training, stricter licensing, all round rule enforcement not just speeding (somehow no one seems to have as much concern about signal jumping and lane cutting both of which can be equally perilous). This kind of rule making has some piecemeal effect but nowhere where it needs to be.

I also feel the speed limits should be made sensible when you put such limits. Our typical approach is nanny state approach. Made a 6 lane expressway - now lets put an 80 kmph limit on it. It should be 120 kmph IMO. I am happy to adhere to that broadly. Sea link on right sections should be 100 kmph.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th July 2020 at 18:49.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 22:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I thought the speed limit was increased to 100 kmph at least up to the toll from Mumbai side. I have not travelled on expressway since Feb but I remember seeing speed limit signs of 100 kmph.
Indeed, the new boards installed sometime around end 2019 indicate speed limits of 100kmph for Cars. They are put up at multiple places before Khalapur Toll ( Coming from Mumbai ) and after crossing Khandala-Lonavala/Bhor ghat ( all the way till Pune ). Holds true for vice-versa too. Here are some pics of the same ( taken on 21st June 2020 lockdown, hence no traffic ) --
Attached Thumbnails
Police to use CCTV footage to catch overspeeding vehicles on Mumbai-Pune Expressway-img_20200621_070621__01__01.jpg  

Police to use CCTV footage to catch overspeeding vehicles on Mumbai-Pune Expressway-img_20200621_070413_01__01__01.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 14:20   #24
BHPian

Posting an update about the new chalan being imposed on Pune-Mumbai Expressway. The 55 kms stretch between Khalapur and Urse toll plaza, if covered within 36 minutes, one will be subjected to 1000 Rs. fine.

Below is the link

https://www.punekarnews.in/now-pay-r...an-36-minutes/
petrolHead_1609 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 10:32   #25
BHPian

Already been charged once for over speeding on Manor highway.
was at 95 and i got an SMS saying challan fined for over speeding.
When i opened the link it had car photo with speed 95 and approved speed 90.
The irony is no where on highway have they displayed speed limits.
Though an efficient way to catch speedsters, but warning signs and lights on highway saying you are exceeding speed limits like abroad would complete the ecosystem to control speed related incidents.
akshatmangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 11:45   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatmangal View Post
The irony is no where on highway have they displayed speed limits.
What you need to be aware when there is no adequate signage or speed limit warning is the fact that in the absence of such, Standard Highway speed limits become invariably applicable.

Bangalore Traffic Police had to include such a clause on their website and kept reiterating this over FB and Twitter posts when motorists began questioning the absence of speed limits where they were caught "overspeeding".

Same is also applicable to absence of no parking signs where you can get challaned. A public road is not to be treated as a parking zone in the absence of no parking sign.

I am sure in Mumbai, cars get picked up from corners even if there is no such sign because of a standard rule that bars one from parking at corners of intersections.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st July 2020 at 11:47.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 12:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolHead_1609 View Post
Posting an update about the new chalan being imposed on Pune-Mumbai Expressway. The 55 kms stretch between Khalapur and Urse toll plaza, if covered within 36 minutes, one will be subjected to 1000 Rs. fine.
So, as per my understanding if someone is doing the stretch in 37 minutes no challan will be given. Well that's not hard if you are using a timer. I seriously believe this is a stupid rule and can be easily beaten by people. The better way would have been to install speed cameras.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 12:32   #28
BHPian

In Kerala, I paid 1500/- for my overspeeding challan, for doing 95 Kmph in an 80 Kmph stretch. This was somewhere on the highway between Kochi and Alappuzha. Though decent, the stretch is nowhere comparable to the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. So, a fine of 1000/- for the latter does seem rather cheap! (Please don't take that as a great excuse to overspeed!!)
Miel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 12:57   #29
BHPian

Hi folks, need some guidance as I am confused. Are there different speed limits for different patches of the highway? or I'll have to drive at 90 KPMH throughout the expressway? 90 KMPH is way too slow. Infact at that speed I will be more worried about someone rear ending my car. Add to it the constant honking and the lights flashed if I am doing those speeds.

Can someone please clarify?
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 13:58   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

since am talking about general speed limits in Kerala, than the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.

As per Kerala MVD/RTO, speed limits for private cars are:
School zone - 30km/h
Ghat roads - 45km/h
Corporation/municipality limits - 50km/h
National Highway - 85km/h
State Highway - 80km/h
Four lane - 90km/h
Other roads - 70km/h

Other than the fact that most schools are situated bang on NH roadside, with kids spilling over to within metres of hurtling vehicles, more to do with lack of zoning and other root cause analysis rabbit holes

I believe the above said limits are sensical, and no existing roads in Kerala deserve limits above 80-90km/h.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
What you need to be aware when there is no adequate signage or speed limit warning is the fact that in the absence of such, Standard Highway speed limits become invariably applicable.
The problem is with the linear development pattern and population density, there isn't much of proper highways in Kerala.

The limits for the highways, both single carriageway and dual carriageway, have pretty good margins. Anyone doing above that should be fined.

But the problem is you don't know when you are entering a corporation limit, or a municipality limits or worse, even panchayat limits.

You could be driving along under 80km/h, proper 4 lane highway, no speed limit board sign, no people/buildings/built up area/cross roads when katchak you are fined for doing 70km/h in a 50km/h zone.

The irritating thing is all the government vehicles may speed, KSRTCs may ram vehicles off the road, squids may
race with no plates/lights, fish trucks may speed with obscured plates.

Yet the authorities safety concerns ends with speed fines. Not red light violations or lane manners.

Haven't yet received a single traffic infraction, and touchwood, don't intend to receive so.

Sorry, but the belief in safety intention of speed cams ended the day when I saw a speed cam interceptor parked in the fast lane to catch motorists, and they continued to do so even after social media outrage.

30km/h in school zone, 60km/h in urban zones and 80-120km/h on open highways is all what India needs.

Anything other than that are just knee jerk reactions of the institutional failure in infrastructure and driving training/tests.

Or like elsewhere, speed traps to fill the government coffers.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks