Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2020, 15:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Police to use CCTV footage to catch overspeeding vehicles on Mumbai-Pune Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Hi folks, need some guidance as I am confused. Are there different speed limits for different patches of the highway? or I'll have to drive at 90 KPMH throughout the expressway? 90 KMPH is way too slow. Infact at that speed I will be more worried about someone rear ending my car. Add to it the constant honking and the lights flashed if I am doing those speeds.

Can someone please clarify?
Unless one encounters a sign where the speed limit is written over it, one has to follow the general guidelines. For e.g. At the start of a road, you see a sign written 100, then the speed limit is 100, then some distance ahead you will see 60, then your speed limit becomes 60, some distance ahead you should ideally see a sign with a simple slash / on a circle, which means end of the last speed limit (60).

I think 90 kmph is good enough for average cars. The speed limit on expressway is 100 anyway.
NiInJa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 17:47   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Police to use CCTV footage to catch overspeeding vehicles on Mumbai-Pune Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
What you need to be aware when there is no adequate signage or speed limit warning is the fact that in the absence of such, Standard Highway speed limits become invariably applicable.
What exactly is a Standard Highway speed limit? Is there a standardized speed for all highways across India? Can you point me to any relevant reference? I'm sorry, but I don't seem to be aware of such a thing. Getting homebound for too long perhaps.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 21st July 2020 at 17:48.
Old 21st July 2020, 18:10   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
What exactly is a Standard Highway speed limit? Is there a standardized speed for all highways across India? Can you point me to any relevant reference? I'm sorry, but I don't seem to be aware of such a thing. Getting homebound for too long perhaps.
While we can always discuss this and the shortcomings of such notifications and the very manner in which this gets implemented and diluted based on whims and fancies, but here is one from 2018:

Police to use CCTV footage to catch overspeeding vehicles on Mumbai-Pune Expressway-morth-notification.jpg

SOURCE

My quoted response comes due to the fact that I was actively following Bangalore Traffic Police Website and Facebook page few years back and this topic did come up:

Police to use CCTV footage to catch overspeeding vehicles on Mumbai-Pune Expressway-btp-speedlimit-signs.jpg

SOURCE

I am not at all supporting situations where motorists are penalized for driving 60+ in a 40 zone in the absence of a signage but when you question the authorities, they will really pull out such notifications.

Note: Let us not talk about any revisions or change in limits. By responding earlier, I only wanted to say that if one argues about the absence of such signages, you are likely to get pointed to such articles/gazette notifications from MoRTH.

Since I also brought the topic of how cops penalize you for parking in a no parking zone where no such boards exist, here was once when I interacted with cops few years before:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Well I had this experiene may be some 5 years before on New BEL road near Ramaiah College.

I was sitting on the driver's seat parked along the pavement opposite to a More store (this was not a No Parking road earlier)while my wife went in to buy groceries.

A traffic constable walks to my window and asks me to move the car for which I ask him if this road has a "No Parking" sign. He asks me to talk to "Sahebru" Sitting on his Pulsar few meters away.

I get down, walk to him and ask the same - "Where is the No Parking Sign?".

He replies - " Do you have a habit of reading news papers?" To which I say yes.

So he replies that recently there was a gazette notification making this road (New BEL Road) a No Parking zone and hence no Boards are installed to let people know about this rule.

So people - Time to read even obituary,Tender invite notifications and Auction of confiscated items by lenders in newspapers without skipping a page!!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st July 2020 at 18:24.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 19:58   #34

This rule isn't new. It was implemented in 2013-14 and I guess was only applied on taxis strictly. I clearly remember an Innova driver telling me this in one of my trips back then.

To avoid this the drivers used to take a long tea/snack break after the 1st toll plaza at the food plaza for 10-15 mins and still do 90-100 kmph and not get caught with the time-gap camera arrangement. Now maybe with fastag implementation, it might be easier to catch the offenders, but still can't get around the tea-break angle
Old 22nd July 2020, 20:30   #35
BHPian

The food mall break is one loophole, however let me reiterate the fact that with this implementation of catching offenders only on the 50 km stretch between the two tolls, it still leaves room for overspeeding before Khalapur toll ( Mumbai side ) and after Talegaon Toll ( Pune side ). This amounts to a total of significant 43 kms and they are mostly straight stretches and hence the violations here need to be addressed as well.
Old 31st August 2020, 14:13   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
The food mall break is one loophole, however let me reiterate the fact that with this implementation of catching offenders only on the 50 km stretch between the two tolls, it still leaves room for overspeeding before Khalapur toll ( Mumbai side ) and after Talegaon Toll ( Pune side ). This amounts to a total of significant 43 kms and they are mostly straight stretches and hence the violations here need to be addressed as well.
Agree.. Mounted speed cameras along the stretch is an option. Better yet signs informing everyone that speed is being monitored and fines are applicable will act as an automatic deterrent
F1-Addict is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks