Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2020, 17:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Police to use CCTV footage to catch overspeeding vehicles on Mumbai-Pune Expressway

The Highway Police in charge of the Mumbai-Pune Expressway have come up with a new way to catch overspeeding vehicles, which includes comparing footage of the CCTV cameras installed at the two toll booths.

Police to use CCTV footage to catch overspeeding vehicles on Mumbai-Pune Expressway-roadewaytrafficmumbaipuneexpresshighwayshut.jpg

Using the CCTV footage, the police will monitor the time taken by a vehicle to cover the distance between the toll booths. The Urse and Khalapur toll booths are 50 km apart and the average time required to cover this distance at the set speed limit should be around 37 minutes.

This means, vehicles that cross the two toll plazas in less than 37 minutes would have broken the speed limit. Using the new system, the police will identify the overspeeding vehicles and will issue an e-challan to the offenders.

Overspeeding is said to be the primary cause of accidents on the expressway. If the pilot project is successful, the Highway Police could introduce the system on National Highways in a phased manner.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 26th June 2020 at 17:26.
TusharK is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 18:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Police to use CCTV footage to catch overspeeding vehicles on Mumbai-Pune Expressway

I think this was discussed long back, when this logic was used by cops after the second toll to fine motorists.

The biggest loophole in this strategy: motorists can drive the way they want to between the tolls and take a quick stop before the second toll to wait for the 37th min. Sure, they'd have wasted their time despite speeding but it defeats the purpose of this exercise: getting people to adhere to the speed limit.

Also, do they assume both downstream and upstream journeys will each take 37min?!
libranof1987 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 18:28   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Police to use CCTV footage to catch overspeeding vehicles on Mumbai-Pune Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Overspeeding is said to be the primary cause of accidents on the expressway.
Really? And I honestly don't know what makes them conclude that overspeeding remains the cause of the accidents? Looking at the stuck speedometer needle? Just like how they conclude tire burst as another famous reason whenever a vehicle jumps the median!!

Instead, let the authorities focus on imparting strict lane discipline on the expressway first. Today, it is so easy to spot the most slowest vehicle, including cars stick to the fastest lane, next to the median.

They won't budge and since they are way too slow, you have no choice but to overtake them from the center lane if lucky, or else from the first lane.

As much as you force yourself to follow all the rules here, you have a lot of jokers who simply do not belong on this expressway.

Quote:
If the pilot project is successful, the Highway Police could introduce the system on National Highways in a phased manner.
They did this almost 5-6 years before, checking timestamp on the toll receipts at the exit in either directions but food court breaks was a good jugaad our motorists adapted to.

All in all, I think these authorities regularly come up with such "measures" to tick that box in their mandatory list of to-do list every year and nothing really changes.

Instead, install speed cameras, monitor the speeds, raise e-challans. Simple as that. Hyderabad's ORR has a fantastic system and none have managed to escape overspeeding here as far as I know.

I was so happy that I had even narrated this experience:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So this post is to share the heartwarming experience of driving on Hyderabad’s Outer Ring Road where almost all the cars indeed drove strictly with an upper limit of 100 KMPH all the times.
Quote:
Without physical presence, with systematic policing via speed cameras and a portal where you check for over-speeding and pay fines which are indeed on the higher side depending on the speeds that you – All it took for Hyderabad Traffic Police to win the game without much ado! Kudos to you and this is the post to appreciate your implementation first and the fear of law from the car drivers later!

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th June 2020 at 18:44.
paragsachania is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 18:49   #4
BHPian

This is as silly as it gets. E-way has already tried this multiple times earlier and has flopped big time. Earlier it was time stamp between two tolls, now they would simply take CCTV footage as evidence. Nothing great and as @paragsachania pointed out, mid-stopovers at food malls is a jugaad way to escape this. Also, overspeeding before the toll plazas can always continue to occur on either ends i.e 30 kms before Khalapur toll and 11 kms after Urse-Talegaon toll. So what's the logic to curb overspeeding only for the 50 km distance between the tolls, I fail to understand.

The only effective way would be to install speed cameras. We have already experienced speed cams doing good job across Mumbai and on NH4 between Pune--Satara. Same can be emulated here on Mumbai--Pune Expressway.

Last edited by vivek95 : 26th June 2020 at 18:52. Reason: Spell check
vivek95 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 18:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Another day, another rule. We keep seeing new rules coming up on a regular basis, all ostensibly for our own safety.

Its a different thing that these rules end up becoming a fiscal burden on us, where we pay money to a pvt operator who fleeces us and then shares a small part of the revenue with the govt.

For instance, the Vidarbha infotech scam, wherein the pvt operator is making the bulk of the money in Mumbai. Also, none of these rules seem to target the powerful politicians and bureaucrats. For instance to cover 50 kms in 37 minutes means an average speed of 80kmph. I routinely see official convoys speeding well over the limit.

Are they going to be penalized for exceeding 80kmph too?

The authorities need to fix the surface cracks, improve the crash barriers and make the journey really safe instead of making these mindless rules every now and then.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 19:03   #6
BHPian

This may not work due to the loophole of taking a stopover. Earlier the cops used to check timestamps on toll reciepts.

Before the lockdown( i havent travelled on Ewy since march10th) i had seen cops with speed-guns at various locations and have sent echallans for overs-peeding.

in the ghat section somewhere they have a permenant speedgun and one of my colleague has got echallan for exceeding speedlimit of 70.. yes ghat has a different speed limit.

So be vigilant.. i have seen cops parked in ertiga on left side or in the divider passage and taking readings from he open hatch of the car. But these challans are given if you exceed 100 kmph.
Old 26th June 2020, 19:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

I find it surprising that the theme on this thread is tending against catching the over-speeding vehicles on mumbai-pune expressway.

There is no limit to over speeding, at which speed do you draw the line?
Why I can always claim that I have Bugatti Veyron and 250 is a comfortable speed for me.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 02:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I find it surprising that the theme on this thread is tending against catching the over-speeding vehicles on mumbai-pune expressway.

There is no limit to over speeding, at which speed do you draw the line?
I don’t think the theme is against catching violaters, rather it is, annoyance due to the fact that there are other reasons for crashes than just speed limits (slow moving heavy vehicles, no lane discipline and low cap of speed).

I personally don’t think is a smart move. Catching violators is easier with Speed cameras like the ones on Taj Expressway or Agra-Lucknow if one has been on those.
alikidwhy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 10:04   #9
BANNED

What a waste of resources! The better way to prevent over speeding is Speed cameras installed at every 5-10 km stretch, Kerala highways have that and it is a deterrent for sure. There are loop holes like Waze app giving a warning when you are about to reach a camera, but then one would be driving madly and slowing down that the drive itself will become exhausting.

As others have mentioned the slow vehicles occupying the fast lane is the reason many accidents happen. I have talked to few truck guys who drive in Kerala where there are only 4 lane highways, the reason they stick to fast lane is because in the other lane they will have to make too many manoeuvres as there would be bikes, auto rickshaw, vehicles exiting the highway as well as entering highway. When you think from their side, I do feel sorry for them.
The Rationalist is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 10:14   #10
BHPian

Other than over speeding vehicles, how about catching the slow moving trucks overtaking each other in the Ghat section. Not following proper lane discipline should be penalized as well, specially for the heavy vehicles as they block the entire flow of traffic behind them.
adi.mariner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 10:31   #11
BHPian

Doesn't make sense. I'll keep it short

1. Speed limit of 80 on e-way is absurd in first place. (haven't seen anybody but trucks under 80, heck 800cc cars fly past many a times)

2. Over speeding isn't the primary reason of accidents, people not aware of disciplines to be followed are! (lane changing, overloaded vehicles, no check of tyre condition/pressure and what not)

3. Checking this time isn't relevant, what about the stretch until the first toll and stretch after the last toll. now specific to Mumbai Pune e-way, what about the half hour queues on toll or the hour long traffic jams in Khandala region.
petrolHead_1609 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 13:56   #12
BHPian

This is another misguided attempt, merely aimed towards showcasing safety initiatives undertaken for the year.
I feel a far greater risk is the fantastic 20 year old tempo overloaded and flying down the expressway at 50KM an hour in the right overtaking lane with one working headlight and non functional tail lights.
Aviationshark is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 21:55   #13
BHPian

Periodic traffic management rules and regulations on the Mumbai Pune Eway are simply a joke. Wish these are specifically featured on standup comedy shows and social media trolls more often.
Old 29th June 2020, 11:30   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

The biggest loophole in this strategy: motorists can drive the way they want to between the tolls and take a quick stop before the second toll to wait for the 37th min.
If you have ever been to Tirumala by bus, this is the same technique bus drivers follow. There is a set time limit for buses to reach the top of the hill from the starting point below. Buses are issued a toll ticket at the staring point with time and this time is verified when they reach the ghat exit point on top of the hill. By this method, authorities can know if the driver drove bus too fast or too slow. There is a buffer limit and anything beyond that, driver will be fined. These over smart bus drivers driver as fast as they can till the gate and stop just outside the gate till time is completed. Authorities also know this and they can see buses stopping right before the gate but they are not bothered.
TorqueSteer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 14:02   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Going against the tide here and will say that, if they want to control speeding, this will be a highly effective measure. I know I have given the below examples a number of times, but here goes again:

- Do you know why everyone drives at 80 kmph on the sealink? Rigorous e-challan handouts via cameras.

- How drunk driving rates went down overnight by 90%? Jail time!

- Why a small number of trolls behave themselves on Team-BHP? Infractions & bans.

- Why every car cruises at 30 kmph on JJ Flyover? Heavy fines.

In fact, I will say that the cops are using technology well by using CCTVs instead of deploying personnel at the toll booths. CCTVs are a reliable 24x7 solution.

I just wish they increase the speed limit to a more reasonable 100 - 120 kmph.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks

Most Viewed