Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2020, 11:54   #16
BHPian

Re: 2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Ind

Big salute to TATA & Mahindra for taking the initiative of providing us 5 star cars. At least now the other so called " Market Leaders " will learn from the effort of humble local manufacturers.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 12:06   #17

Re: 2014-2020: Global NCAP's Safer Cars For India initiative - 8 out of 10 safest car brands are Ind

This analysis of the data is self confirming and NOT AT ALL correct.

Global NCAP was started with the thought and vision to crash test the vehicles that are only sold in 3rd world countries and are not crash tested under the stircter EURONCAP regulations. India being the 2nd largest car market, it was decided to start with budget Indian car releases. And since the budget Indian car's are from Indian brands, these were the vehicles that were going to be tested.

So from the list of budget Indian Car Manufacturers, it should not be surprising that the "top" vehicles are Indian.

Any car which has same specifications in any international market, they will not be tested under GlobalNCAP, because it would already have a crash test rating. Sorry to say but this does not signify anything.
De-Veer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 12:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
The list is from 2014-2020 and hence i find it surprising that Ford has only one car in the whole list and which scored 3 stars. As far as I remember, Ford started the trend of providing the safety equipments like the duel airbags and ABS as standard right from the base variant with the second generation Figo and Aspire. The Figo in the list above was tested before the safety equipments became standard and hence the result.

The rest of the Ford cars were never tested and I am sure that if now Ecosport or Figo is tested, they would definitely score high on the safety ratings. F
The ford car which received 3 star rating is current gen Figo with dual airbags as standard, and tested in 2017. The bodyshell is stated as unstable. http://www.globalncap.org/wp-content...-2-Airbags.pdf
sreejithkk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 12:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not unfair IMHO because it was an open process. GNCAP picked random cars - yes, but companies were able to volunteer for tests as well.

And volunteering one of their cars wouldn't have been a big deal for any of these manufacturers - it would only be a fraction of the budget they spend on PR and advertisements.

They knew they never had good ratings, they knew others were scoring 4 and 5 stars - but as long as the cars sell in truckloads - it didn't really matter to them. Instead, they wait for GNCAP to pick the cars and we just have to hope that whatever they picked is an exception, not the norm. After all - if everything they sell is 4-star / 5-star stuff, why would they not spend such a budget and get some good press? Shows their commitment (or lack of it) to the safer cars in the Indian market - doesn't it?

Now - it's different with VW and Toyota. Both these companies proactively responded to GNCAP tests by getting safety features standard across variants and getting their updated versions tested IIRC. TATA and Mahindra went one step further and made 5-star safety a goal. Pretty sure atleast some of those tests were volunteered and not randomly picked up by GNCAP, like when TATA had the Nexon tested for a second time.

It will be unfair to these companies to dismiss others like Hyundai, Honda, Ford or Renault as due to lack of tests. 'Tested safe' > 'Trust my brand, its safe' anyday.
Indian public should remember that Hyundai i10 was a 5* rated car in the first iteration. I20 made for and sold in India has 3* rating while the international one made in India has higher rating. There is a great example of how international companies treat us. I will buy only Toyota products (other than rebadged Suzukis) based on the safety promise made by the brand. Innova has airbags that extend till the last seat and flimsy Etios has excellent safety ratings.
5kmiles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 12:45   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
Indian public should remember that Hyundai i10 was a 5* rated car in the first iteration. I20 made for and sold in India has 3* rating while the international one made in India has higher rating.
The 5 star rating was for the old i20, not i10. And again, while Hyundai claimed it and it was actually true for the European market, this claim was never verified for the Indian i20. The difference in safety rating for the current Indian i20 vis a vis the international model, as you rightly mention, is because of an entirely different chassis underneath. A classic example of Hyundai short charging India in a very Maruti like way.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 12:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by De-Veer View Post

Global NCAP was started with the thought and vision to crash test the vehicles that are only sold in 3rd world countries and are not crash tested under the stircter EURONCAP regulations. India being the 2nd largest car market, it was decided to start with budget Indian car releases. And since the budget Indian car's are from Indian brands, these were the vehicles that were going to be tested.

So from the list of budget Indian Car Manufacturers, it should not be surprising that the "top" vehicles are Indian.

Any car which has same specifications in any international market, they will not be tested under GlobalNCAP, because it would already have a crash test rating. Sorry to say but this does not signify anything.
I do not know where you get your data from, but most international brands in India offer budget brands and many of them are tested too. Read Renault Kwid, Hyundai I10, VW Polo, Toyota Etios, Datsun Redigo, Ford Figo. The second largest manufacturer Hyundai is missing from the list is very glaring. They could have volunteered like all other Indian cars, if they were confident of their tin boxes meeting the safety norms. So, why is it not correct?
Raghuwire is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 13:06   #22
BHPian

Kudos to Tata and Mahindra for making such safe cars. I have to say that the Thud with which the doors closes in a Tata and Mahindra Cars, its just so reassuring.
I hope other Car Manufacturers follow their suit and focus more on Safety rather than on fuel efficiency and making cars lighter. Not that i'm against making cars lighter but it should not be done by compromising on Safety.
I hope GNCAP continues this good work.
Sounak04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 13:36   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

lets have a read through this.

"Every NCAP has its own protocol to crash-test and score cars, and so the results are not interchangeable. Euro NCAP, for instance, conducts full frontal, front offset, side impact and side pole tests. Global NCAP ratings, on the other hand, are based on front offset crash tests alone. A front offset crash test is designed to simulate a head-on collision between two cars. In the Global NCAP test, the car is driven at 64kph and with 40 percent overlap into a deformable barrier which is the equivalent of a crash between two cars of the same weight, both moving at 50kph."

"A key point to bring in here is the difference in speed of the front offset test conducted by Global NCAP and Indian regulatory authorities. As per the Indian government’s latest safety norms (applicable to all new models since October 2017, and to all models on sale from October 2019), to be eligible for sale, a car must meet front offset and side impact crash requirements. The Indian government’s front offset test is conducted at 56kph which, though lower than the Global NCAP’s front offset crash test speed, is in line with the United Nations’ Regulation 94 for front impact protection."

Autocar Link

So Global NCAP is a heavily watered down test, it maybe better than India`s own regulatory tests but by how much is the question.

Right now we can say that cars sold in India this year are safe enough for the job, GNCAP rating being present or not.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 14:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by De-Veer View Post

Last time I checked there are a lot of international manufacturers like Hyundai, Renault, Nissan, Datsun, Toyota, Ford, Honda etc who all offer cars in the budget or the 5-10 lakhs segment.

It is commendable that indigenous manufacturers have reached the level that they have and it also shows how foreign manufacturers have taken us for granted when it comes to safety.

Global NCAP might not be a perfect evaluation but it is a step in the right direction and going forward will surely affect the way manufacturers and consumers think of vehicular safety.
Thebat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 15:12   #25
BHPian

Glad to see safety finally getting the attention it deserves. I recommended the TATA Nexon to a family member solely based on its 5 star rating by Global NCAP, He hasn't regretted his decision to buy one.

While i do agree that Global NCAP standards do not match those of EURO NCAP, it is still setting some standards by which to objectively measure build quality (cars with thicker and heavier metal sheets need not be safer than "tin cans").

While i'm not sure how Global NCAP works, i do remember reading an article on EURO NCAP a few years ago.
EURO NCAP is a non profit organisation. They look for the most popular variant of a particular model (which usually is the mid grade model, Suzuki Swift Vxi for example) and put it to the test. The test car is selected at random from the production line (manufacturers therefore cannot make changes to a particular car and thus manipulate the results). That is why i think, the European car market differs from Ours in terms of variants (most of the safety systems are provided across the board, while cosmetic or creature comforts are present on higher variants).

I think as our car market matures, the demand for safer cars will increase and manufacturers (looking at you Maruti and Hyundai) will have to respond.

On a side note, maybe TATA should showcase the results of a crash between "Nexon & Brezza/Venue" or "Altroz & Baleno/i20" or "Tiago & Swift/i10", shame Maruti/Hyundai as it were. I would pay good money to watch that advertisement.
AnAvgJoe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 16:13   #26
GTB
BHPian

Can anyone please explain, what are first two categories?

Thanks.
Old 10th July 2020, 16:35   #27
BHPian

I feel it is wrong to bash companies based on this list. This list doesn't have well selling cars in India.
The Best selling cars that are Missing from the list:
1. Hyundai grand i10
2. Hyundai i20
3. Hyundai Creata
4. Hyundai Verna
5. Honda Amaze
6. Honda City
7. Maruti Baleno
8. Maruti Alto
9. Honda WRv-Jazz
10.Ford Ecosport

In my opinion this is list of low selling cars in India. GNCAP should conduct tests on models which are selling in good numbers.

Last edited by pravint : 10th July 2020 at 16:36. Reason: mistake
pravint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 17:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
I feel it is wrong to bash companies based on this list. This list doesn't have well selling cars in India.

In my opinion this is list of low selling cars in India. GNCAP should conduct tests on models which are selling in good numbers.
This is explained well in post #8
Simply put, GNCAP will either pick the cars themselves or Companies will donate their cars voluntarily to GNCAP for crash testing. Now, if GNCAP does not pick any of the cars mentioned above for testing (lack of funds as an example), why doesnt Hyundai/Maruti offer their best selling cars themselves to GNCAP ? I mean, if GNCAP tested a Tata Tiago, Hyundai should have proactively pitted their own Santro against Tiago in crash tests, but they haven't. Goes to tell a lot about their commitment on safety, doesn't it ?
NiInJa is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 18:00   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
I mean, if GNCAP tested a Tata Tiago, Hyundai should have proactively pitted their own Santro against Tiago in crash tests, but they haven't. Goes to tell a lot about their commitment on safety, doesn't it ?
Yes,This is true. Considering their consumer base they should proactively participate in such tests.
Looks like Honda and Hyundai don't have much confidence in current offerings.
Old 10th July 2020, 18:20   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The 5 star rating was for the old i20, not i10. And again, while Hyundai claimed it and it was actually true for the European market, this claim was never verified for the Indian i20. The difference in safety rating for the current Indian i20 vis a vis the international model, as you rightly mention, is because of an entirely different chassis underneath. A classic example of Hyundai short charging India in a very Maruti like way.
That was a typo from my end. It was i20. I won't be surprised if current verna and venue have poor structural strength as well. Safety mindset only with the tested cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks