Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2020, 15:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The menace of illegally put up cables & hoardings in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
This happened right outside a Suzuki Two Wheeler Dealership in Rajasthan

The news on below link says it happened in Hyderabad.

Weird! Where did this happen actually? Bangalore, Hyderabad, Rajasthan?

To me, from the geography, it looks like Bangalore.
balenoed_ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 15:51   #17
BHPian

Whatever may the vehicle that dragged the cable but the slingshot action was caused by the rear two wheels of the Auto rickshaw.
Look closely the cable was in front of both the rear tyres and then suddenly got released after passing from below them.

I have watched it multiple times, sorry but
H Karter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 17:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

What a sad incident. Although in slow motion, I laughed a bit remembering a reverse video of Vikram aur Vetaal.
This cable hanging, large transformers were something which I found pretty surprising in Bangalore, when I moved here 12 years back.
in Mumbai, over 25 years ago when roads were being concretised, the electricity board (then BSES) and the telephone provider (MTNL) and some govt bodies decided to lay underground cables.
So there were no ugly hanging cables pertaining to Electricity or telecom, which were all concealed underground.
After the Cable TV revolution, this menace started with Local LCOs hanging cables to and fro and making a mess. Now with DTH, I guess to a large extent, there are lesser cables seen hanging out.

I think these cables along with the dreaded Maanja used while flying kites holds the potential for causing many road accidents and bird deaths.

Last edited by hrman : 31st July 2020 at 17:05.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 17:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Karter View Post
Look closely the cable was in front of both the rear tyres.
Your observation is right. And he was trying hard to remove that cable off from beneath the tyres. Pleased by his hardwork, the God appeared, "Hey here I remove it for you and I make you a superman."
Old 31st July 2020, 19:24   #20
BHPian

I've an incident to share. Around 10+ years ago, couple of colleagues in my office met with accident due to suspended cable [probably Internet or Cable TV one].

Both of them were on their bikes, one tried to avoid dangling cable on the road but was hit by a truck behind him and other person couldn't avoid the cable and it got entangled around his neck. Person hit by truck didn't survive [apparently he wasn't wearing helmet] and the other person had deep wounds around his neck and chest but survived.

Deceased person's family was fighting for some kind of compensation but last I heard was that the case was moving nowhere with truck owner/cable company playing blame game.
Old 31st July 2020, 21:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

The problem really lies with the civic bodies. They charge an exorbitant amount sometimes lacs per kilometer to grant permission to lay underground fiber. It is financially impossible or viable for companies (except the really big ones) to invest so much. This coupled with additional laying charges and additional charges to be paid to civic bodies in case the underground fiber needs to be repaired results in everyone just putting overhead cables. Not to speak of months of procedural delays on getting permissions to lay the underground fiber in the first place.

Till the civic bodies rationalize their fee and process we will continue to be plagued by this menace.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 21:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Both of them were on their bikes, one tried to avoid dangling cable on the road but was hit by a truck behind him and other person couldn't avoid the cable and it got entangled around his neck. Person hit by truck didn't survive [apparently he wasn't wearing helmet] and the other person had deep wounds around his neck and chest but survived.
Even while reading this it feels so bad. Wonder what the deceased and family must have felt.

Everyone has to go one day, but a death like this is just not unacceptable. In this case, that cable just should'nt have been on the road. Clear failure of the authority of that area.

Sometimes it feels however careful you are on the road or anywhere, its just not enough .
Old 1st August 2020, 18:44   #23
BHPian

The woman was severely injured and had to get 52 Stitches after the accident, and the auto-driver was not much injured. Here is the link that contains more details.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...ource=inshorts

Last edited by Vyas : 1st August 2020 at 18:50.
Vyas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 20:51   #24
BHPian

Being out on Indian roads is like going on war. You can never be sure if you would come back in one piece, or come back at all.
The way it played out makes us laugh at first, but it had a serious consequence for the poor woman who ended up being the landing pad for the hurtling man.
Deserves a place amongst the top 5 of 'freak accidents on India roads'.
Old 1st August 2020, 22:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Weird! Where did this happen actually? Bangalore, Hyderabad, Rajasthan?

To me, from the geography, it looks like Bangalore.
Based on the color of the auto rickshaw (Green+Yellow), it looks like Bangalore. In Hyderabad they are colored in a complete Yellow theme.
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:20   #26
Team-BHP Support

Man, it pains to learn that she had to take 52 stitches for absolutely no fault of hers. :(

52 stitches!
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 17:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

It's about 1 year since Subasri lost her life to a falling hoarding in Chennai. This caused a big hue and cry but only caused a temporary lull in illegal hoardings and banners.

Once covid fades away and elections are around the corner, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks